• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Haters Everywhere We Go

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
And now it's even more fun when we have Hi10P, a 10-bit h.264 profile which allows for better quality in things like banding and gradients at even smaller filesizes than 8-bit.

No you have a few anime technofa...technophiles bandwagoning a technology with tiny gains, poor performance, and high compatibility issues just to wag their epeen around.

That may be, but the filesizes are smaller for the same or better picture quality. And you're going to see a good number of fansubbers adopted it fully in the coming seasons.

Be sure to give those ones another part on the back. I'll be sticking with legal streams and physical goods,..the stuff that can be played with stable technology.
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:17 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I'll be sticking with legal streams and physical goods,..the stuff that can be played with stable technology.

I hope I'm misunderstanding something and you're not actually implying that some buggy flash app made in a couple hours by a stoned college student is superior to professionally engineered media players.
PMDR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Petrea Mitchell wrote:
"All the big cons"? Not Worldcon, not Dragon*Con?

(No, they're not exclusively anime cons, but neither is Comic-Con.)

Dragon*Con is the biggest con similar to SDComicon this side of the continental divide -and D*C actually has a lot more anime stuff than Comicon. Last time I went to Comicon, the entire anime presence was a couple video rooms -and whoops they closed at night along with the con. Hit the streets, peeps. Con no workie after dark!

Having always attended round-the-clock cons, THAT was disturbing. The biggest con in North America shuts down at dusk? Wow.

Target closes at night too. Walmart does not. One of these chains sells more in part because nobody else is open.

D*C never closes. There's even anime panels into the wee hours. In this way, among others, I think D*C is actually more relevant to the fans of ... whatever they are fans of.

But putting that con aside, there is also AWA which was a top-10 US anime con last time I looked at the rankings based on attendance. Oddly, there is very rarely any coverage of AWA on ANN. But it's not ANN's fault if they never see the press releases.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:

An Apology for Fansubbing
Let's be honest, around here fansubbing is the Great Satan. And there is a lot of about fansubbing that is evil, frankly. But feel like I must make a defense of my actions, even if they are hated. When I got into this, there was a code of honour. It was a crude and crabbed sort of code, a pirate's code, but we did try to follow it. Fansubbers didn't aim to make money from it, distribution ceased after the show was licensed, and if we liked the show, we bought the DVDs after they were released. This is what I signed up for when I got into this hobby. And when I followed this code, and I did, I was the good guy, I was doing the best I could in the murky legal waters. When streaming came on and Crunchyroll went legit, the whole paradigm shifted. And suddenly I was the baddie, despite not doing anything different that before. Well, I embraced my new evil nature and became a passionate fansub defender, but I still feel rather bitter about the whole thing. It wasn't that I started being a bad guy, but rather the good guys all left me.

Fansubs had a place in anime, but frankly the idea of fansubbers caring about promoting a series and wanting it do well started disappearing 7 years ago. It became more ego driven with people plastering their names all over the releases, and claiming that they where better than the professionals.

With the rise of streaming Fansubbers have no place in anime anymore. I can now watch most series legally.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Parse Error wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
I'll be sticking with legal streams and physical goods,..the stuff that can be played with stable technology.

I hope I'm misunderstanding something and you're not actually implying that some buggy flash app made in a couple hours by a stoned college student is superior to professionally engineered media players.

I don't believe I implied any such thing and don't know what players you are referring to.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Fansubs had a place in anime, but frankly the idea of fansubbers caring about promoting a series and wanting it do well started disappearing 7 years ago. It became more ego driven with people plastering their names all over the releases, and claiming that they where better than the professionals.

With the rise of streaming Fansubbers have no place in anime anymore. I can now watch most series legally.

Yes they do. There are still hundreds of older shows that are unlikely to ever see a US release, streaming or otherwise. And every season you still have shows that slip through streaming and licensing on for home video.

There's still quite a few shows I mean to see that are still unsubbed, and chances of them being licensed is likely than LoGH. As long as stuff like this exists, fansubs will continue in some fashion. I won't defend fansubs for currently airing shows because it's an impossible stance to defend here, but I will defend the idea of fansubbing in general.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm Reply with quote
And it is surprising how many good, recent shows are never released. Kure-nai is one example.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well this ego trip of fansubs is pretty much the only currency fansubbing trades in. That ego is because they have some degree of enthusiasm for what they do, cause there's something to be said about an amateur passionately doing something than a professional doing something half assed.

My thing is why streaming? why can't anime companies use bittorrent? Why this big push for streams? Just for hits and ad money?

For Horriblesubs its because Crunchyroll did start out just streaming fansubs and just grew into legitimacy, but initially it was paywalling their good content, and all Horriblesubs are doing is just doing a "haw haw" to their pattern. Which could explain the line of CrunchyRoll torrents out there. If you don't engage your audience in all realms, they just start drifting away.

And I have nothing against not-so-nice-people on the internet. Its the same attitude that keeps you from being pushed around by corporate interests and bigger not-so-nice-people.

And fansubbers will always have a place. As long as we don't speak japanese, releases are not 1:1 and steady, and we actually LIKE anime, there will be a demand for more consumption. Because consumers will consume their medium in any fashion possible, short of major moral implications. And frankly, piracy on the internet is the least evil thing you can do.

As for hi10, eh I like improving quality and shrinking sizes, but I still like when they release avi's as well, since I can rely on avi files for my tablet that doesn't get to play mkv's nicely.
kamanashi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:11 pm Reply with quote
My problem with fan subs is that most titles can be seen legally in the US some way or another. There might be that one title that no one picks up, but in general, all top titles and a lot of the minor ones are streamed each season now. So there is no reason for 99% of the new fan subs now. But, I can understand older show that came out years ago and have almost no chance of a license.

I quit watching fan subs a while ago when streaming started growing and have had no problem since. Anime isn't something I need, it just happens to be one of the many things I enjoy. I especially enjoy collecting anime on DVD.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Eh I'm still using fansubs cause I like running my media player instead of a flash player, and that now I can use my keyboard shortcuts to control it as well, bigger win.

Legality of this should have never been the issue. It's all about convenience. That's how the internet works these days. More is better, as long as its not worse.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:00 am Reply with quote
What bothers me about fansubs, if I leave out the illegality of it, is that it's more of a "look at me and give me internets attention!" than "Hey, I want to show you all this good anime so hopefully it will be licensed so you could one day buy it." Now that we have a lot of legal streaming anime, fansubbers should only do the shows that don't have a simulcast. I could understand it for Madoka Magica because no one was sure if that was getting a license, but the fansubbers always go for shows that are most likely to get licensed and that's what mainly bugs me, especially when the show gets a stream and they still fansub just so they can be faster than the legal release, the legal one has better gtsmmar when you compare them.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:32 am Reply with quote
Someone really needs to sub Sazae San Smile
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Asterisk-CGY wrote:
Eh I'm still using fansubs cause I like running my media player instead of a flash player, and that now I can use my keyboard shortcuts to control it as well, bigger win.

Legality of this should have never been the issue. It's all about convenience. That's how the internet works these days. More is better, as long as its not worse.

You like using fansubs because you don't want to pay for anime.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:00 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:
Lately many anime's "international" names are decided by the anime production committees themselves before they are even created and sold.

"Many" doesn't cover all and can only be assumed to apply to the anime in this article. That sort of reasoning is flimsy, plus with the channel of communication being more or less closed it looks like an attempt to redirect the finger pointing to some untouchable entity for an easy cop-out.
There was no factual English subtitle or alternative title for Asobi ni Iku Yo developed prior to either CR's stream or Funi's licensing. Two different English companies had the rights and we ended up with two different English version names. Seems like the unique names were translation decisions made by the licensees to me.

You're right about Asobi.
I remember there being discussions about english titles for that show as it was licensed for streaming and disc release.
The original english subtitle "Asobi ni Ikuyo: Bombshells from the Sky" came from the Japanese company.
I don't know for certain the origin of the name "cat planet cuties", but I wouldn't be surprised if that was something Funi came up with for marketing for that one.

So yes, english subtitles are usually decided by the Japanese, but can be changed by the western licenser at request...
Either way, the time to complain or send in your own suggestions is as soon as possible.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:24 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Asterisk-CGY wrote:

You like using fansubs because you don't want to pay for anime.

Well that too. You have fun buying stuff you like, I'll have fun buying stuff I like.

Also I like Asobi's fanservice. It was better than most others. Also want to make the crew in STO. Cause apparently Catians are also in star trek.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6