• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Boys will be...girls?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
WesW wrote:
Btw, Bamboo, is your given name a common Chinese one, sorta like Holly or Rose?

Honestly, I don't know enough about Chinese names to tell you how common it is. Hopefully, someone else more knowledgeable than me will chime in on this subject

Boring story alert!:
My given name was actually Huang, which, depending on how it's written, can have different meanings. When my parents moved to the US, one of their friends said, "Huang is a bit hard to pronounce. Does it have a translation?" "Bamboo." "You should call her that."

There are only two characters pronounced "Huang" and related to bamboo: and . The first means a (bamboo or metallic) reed in a wind instrument; the other means bamboo or bamboo forest/grove. Judging from what your parents said I assume the latter. Either character is very rarely used in given names -- at least you are the first person I know of.

SakechanBD wrote:
Comically enough, for as long as I can remember, my parents have always called me "Zhu zi" (bamboo), and variations of it (Zhu zhu, Zhu).

Those were 竹子 and 竹竹, respectively.

SakechanBD wrote:
And though my name should really be "Dong Huang" (surname first), they find it amusing to call me "Dong Zhu" or "Dong Zhu Sun (bamboo shoot)".

Without intonation marks I can only assume your family name as the most common one among all Dong: (Dǒng or Dong3; there's no Dong2, and family names with Dong1 or Dong4 are extremely rare). Bamboo shoot is 竹筍.

Mirrinus wrote:
Of course, "Sun" in Chinese isn't even pronounced like it would seem in English, just like most other Chinese names.

For all Westerners who have ever seen the romanization of my Chinese name, only one of them could pronounce it correctly.

ADDENDUM: My goodness. If 董篁 is really your name then I wonder what kind of people your parents are. They must be very knowledgeable and have great expectation on you, for 董篁 was an alias of a famous female entrepreneur 董竹君 (1900 to 1997-12-06), founder and chairwoman of Jin Jiang Hotels. She survived the Culture Revolution and later published her memoir, A Century of Mine (我的一個世紀).

Last edited by dormcat on Tue May 08, 2007 8:01 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:36 am Reply with quote
Having read Bamboo's bio in the staff page tipped me off early on whether she was male or female. Plus staff avatars are the same as their current forum avatars so I knew SakechanBD was Bamboo Dong. Bamboo: The part of the bio that referred to your name was slightly changed but it did sound kind of self deprecating even though it was a little funny.

Princess Princess is another gender bending tale I missed hearing about. I'll definitely be picking up those disks since I'm out of luck with the fansubs. But I am a Media Blasters fan so I want to support them. Unfortunately I'll first have to pick up Girl Meets Girl *sigh*. Now to add Princess Princess to my Gender Switching Anime thread but it's died anyway already Crying or Very sad
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:45 am Reply with quote
Speaking of crossdressing: can someone identify who he is? Wink

Hint: related to the character he crossplays.
(Those who have seen this picture: please keep it a secret so other people can find out themselves)

The answer is here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:20 am Reply with quote
Or...
spoiler[Tomokazu Sugita cosplaying as a character from Kanon 2]

Sorry that answer doesn't help many of our non-Japanese readers.
btw he is just so cute *rawr* I just wanna hug him Anime smile
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote
Mmm another tasty column. I also liked Peach Girl and bought the special edition with the purse, even though it's too small for me to actually use. At first I was hesitant to get it since I might feel too old for the series in a couple of years, but then I thought...pfff...when do I ever think about the future.

No surprise that Chevalier vol. 2 is Shelf Worthy...sometimes I just stare at the box/slipcovers and think "damn that's sexy."

I never watched Princess Princess and after reading the review, I probably won't buy it, but I might rent it for laughs...I admit that tag line did make me chuckle. Was there a drama with the same story as this? I should probably just look it up...

Just watched the highlights from Anime Boston and it looked like fun...Bamboo sorta reminds me of Strong Machine 2....hehe
konton

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:39 am Reply with quote
Jamee wrote:

Quote:
but what about the writers for The Click and Right Turn Only? I've always assumed they were both guys.

Well, The Click is written by Brian Hanson and RTO by Carlo Santos, so unless you were being sarcastic, I think it's safe to assume they are both males. Razz
violetsquirrel

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:40 am Reply with quote
Nermal wrote:
I never watched Princess Princess and after reading the review, I probably won't buy it, but I might rent it for laughs...I admit that tag line did make me chuckle. Was there a drama with the same story as this? I should probably just look it up...

It has been turned into a drama but the drama is absolutely terrible... the manga's better than the anime (especially in terms of character design) but I think the anime's easier to get hold of.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 8:49 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/dormcat/cross.jpg (left the link only to save space

(Those who have seen this picture: please keep it a secret so other people can find out themselves)

The answer is here.

It's all I can say.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
StickyToffeePopcorn

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:58 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As viewers, are we supposed to be amused by this school's secret, or should we be appalled?

Moronic.

Anybody that goes as far as reading the synopsis can tell this is a BL-type anime riding the transgendered train made popular by things like Ouran Host Club; no viewers with enough initiative to just look at the box would be appalled.
Mirrinus

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:

The answer is here.

I've seen that picture before, and it still kinda disturbs me. He's one of my favorite seiyuus too.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I never really thought about it, I like the column, I was really angry about you using the word "hussy" (friggin misogyny)... seriously, why would I care about the male/female thing.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:27 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
I never really thought about it, I like the column, I was really angry about you using the word "hussy" (friggin misogyny)... seriously, why would I care about the male/female thing.

Um, is it me, or you just have to make one heck of a fuss over anything? Isn't there SOMETHING, SOMETHING you are okay with? Just sheer curiosity.Mentira... Es sarcasmo puro
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 6:58 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Which still PALES in comparison to what any box-addicts that ordered Najica Blitz Tactics had to go through ... I plead the fifth on any follow-up questions.
I know what you're talking about. Someone at ADV has one hell of a wicked sense of humor. Cool

I swear, the sheer WTF factor of that LE makes me want to buy the series.

Didn't comment much before about the reviews, brain wasn't really working at the time, but I find myself agreeing completely on the Bleach episodes. I do like the series quite a bit, but the early episodes are weak compared to the major arc that starts afterward. There are some great moments, like getting to see Orihime and Chad discovering their powers and such, but overall there's just much there other than great characters. Completely agreed with the review.

Never have gotten the appeal of cross-dressing. Doesn't seem funny or interesting to me. Sub-only just makes it something I won't buy ever instead of being something I'd just not be that interested in. Princess Princess just sounds a little. . . lacking. I could see myself getting it if it had been a story about a guy with some deep pyschological issues or something but otherwise it just sounds a little stupid.

Haven't had a chance to check out Chevalier yet or watch my Peach Girl, but I don't disagree with Lady Bamboo too often, so I figure there's no chance of being disappointed given the positive vibes.
NinjaUmbreon

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I bought Bleach, Although best on the review I might give Peach Girl a try, I mean I watch Peiti Princess Yucie.

and since my collection didn't make self obsessed again, I'm going to cry myself to sleep tonight Anime cry
Sheepy

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:53 am Reply with quote
i always thought bamboo was a guy i remember the shelf life where she reviewed busty mounds, and lol that was funny and you dont really expect a woman to gather her friends around.

although this is the anime community. taking yaoi into consideration.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4