• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman: DUB Edition

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:28 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
adorable fairy #4

There are no fairies in Nanoha lol.
SukieNeko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:19 am Reply with quote
Wow Zac, you're column is educational, not only do I learn more about anime, but before today I had never heard about tree kangaroos Razz

I mainly wanted to comment of the first question.

I'm pretty neutral when it comes to dub and subs, with a bit more of a preference towards subs. I think I just like the way japanese sounds, strange huh?Razz Still, as long as I think the dub isn't awful I'll watch it.

I think companies choosing to release more sub only DVDs is a good idea. I mean, like you said dubs can be expensive. Also, a lot of the anime fans I know hate dubs and refuse to watch them. So why would it make much of a difference to them if there was a dub track or not? Everyone in my high school's anime club feels this way. In fact when a dub track is accidently put on lots of them react pretty immaturely as in covering their ears yelling "Gah!! dubs!! etc. Rolling Eyes Of course more popular series should be dubbed like Naruto and future series that will share the same number of fans as Full Metal Alchemist or Bleach.

The only true disadvantage I can see to reducing the number of dubs produced is what about the blind? Don't they watch thier anime dubbed. Unless they all wanted to learn Japanese it would suck to lose dubbing for them.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
SukieNeko wrote:
The only true disadvantage I can see to reducing the number of dubs produced is what about the blind? Don't they watch thier anime dubbed. Unless they all wanted to learn Japanese it would suck to lose dubbing for them.

Yeah, that's the thing that actually makes me apprehensive about sub only DVDs, I'm a big sub fan, but losing the dub option for people who need it to watch anime is awful.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote
The NA distributors reverting back to Subs only is a poor marketing decision IMHO. It might have been a good idea back in 1992, but in todays fansub flooded availability it's like trying to sell sand to the Saudi's. It be best if they concentrated on the caviar, and leave the dross to the fansubbers as they'll eat anything second hand.
Naru2099

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
*Sigh* No one ever has anything bad to say about Vic Mignogna. I swear I'll find something to make sure he isn't the saint that he appears to be*

*Not really, but it'd be great to hear. Vic's such a good guy, having multiple chances to talk to him. Though I did want to say that he gets fans to his panel by bribing them with Milky Ways, but I didn't want to do that to him >.>

Also, I wonder in the [S] is a first name? I might have a clue then
ChikaraFire_7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:

Also, I wonder in the [S] is a first name? I might have a clue then

he already said that they weren't clues

I'm fairly impartial to which language as long as both are good, but it was nice to get more insight into the dub scene

I too had never heard of the tree kangaroo, it's very cute Very Happy
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
I don't think not having a dub track would keep my from buying a series, but I certainly would prefer to have a dub so that I have that option. I also like to try out a dub for anything I watch and if it's good I will usually watch it, so that I can do something while I am watching and not have to be glued to the bottom part of my TV/computer screen.

As for the Answerfans, I think the different answer really is the best, or the one I agree with most. The main thing I have always pointed to for why I like anime (and doramas too, for that matter) is that they have a more contained story than North American TV does. I can't really speak much on movies, though I actually tend to not like anime movies all that much. They are okay, but I can't think of many that I would want to watch twice.
kizoku

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 am Reply with quote
SukieNeko wrote:
Ummm, that's a joke, right? Or maybe you meant people who don't see very well? I can't imagine a blind person watching anything.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quote
VEGANDARAE wrote:
Quote:

So, to get more work, actors will often assume a stage name and do voice work using that moniker to avoid the union coming down on them and put a little more food on the table. It's a very common practice and it isn't really that big a deal.

that would explain ONE additional name,

but people like Steven Jay Blum has a BIG number of different names, as do some of the other legendary voice actors.

so why so many different names for some of our voice actors?

Oh, that's easy- unions get pissed when their members bypass them for work. If they use the same pseudonym too much, the union'll catch on and they get busted... so, you change it up.

(And, chances are, most of these VAs have no choice in whether or not they join these unions... a lot of them have deals where in order to get a job in a certain field/company, you have to join the union. Honestly, I wonder if unions do more harm than good these days.)
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
kizoku wrote:
SukieNeko wrote:
Ummm, that's a joke, right? Or maybe you meant people who don't see very well? I can't imagine a blind person watching anything.

From what I understand, yes they do. There's a setting on newer televisions that has a voice describing a show's action for the blind (can't say how many have them, but I caught it on Rugrats years ago). I know a friend of mine is dyslectic and has trouble reading subtitles, but these are pretty extreme "keep the dubs" examples. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:40 am Reply with quote
kizoku wrote:
SukieNeko wrote:

Are you kidding? My roommate has a blind friend that loves 'watching' Star Trek. He has the most awesome stereo setup you'll ever see Smile

Also, we watched the Super Bowl at his house a few years back. He even has a big-screen TV for his non-visually-impaired friends. It was fun being his play-by-play announcer and getting to describe all everything that happened.
Kyokat

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:44 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
And, chances are, most of these VAs have no choice in whether or not they join these unions... a lot of them have deals where in order to get a job in a certain field/company, you have to join the union. Honestly, I wonder if unions do more harm than good these days.

If you're interested in what unions are good for, you might be interested in reading this take on the Writer's Union. Yeah, it's not quite the Actor's Guild, but it's close, and it might remind you that the idea unions are bad for workers is primarily spread by the companies who don't want to have to deal with them.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 am Reply with quote
emory wrote:
Didn't Jeff Nimoy threaten to sue a Digimon fansite?

I remember when this was going on. I don't think he threatened to sue Megchan, a Digimon site, but confronted them for bashing him. Here's some more info on that. The Digimon FAQ
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:53 am Reply with quote
Kyokat wrote:
...and it might remind you that the idea unions are bad for workers is primarily spread by the companies who don't want to have to deal with them.

...and the workers who get screwed by unions, and the people who who have to deal with unions but aren't in them, and the nonunion people who work in fields with strong unions, and...

But since this is AnimeNewsNetwork.com's messageboards and not LetsTalkAboutUnions.com messageboards, let's agree to disagree and get back to the anime. At least then we're divided by a common interest. Laughing

Smile
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
There was also the instance where [Q] arrived a day late for a four day convention, and left a day early. Though I have heard that was because [Q] was unaware it was a four day convention. But since it seems like the conventions themselves usually help with setting up flights one and one aren't quite adding up. But I can understand that there are misunderstandings, so I find it noteworthy that [Q] is no longer invited to that particular convention.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15