• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Oreimo Complete Limited Edition DVD Box Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:22 pm Reply with quote
TheSwedishElf wrote:
asimpson2006 wrote:
You should feel sorry to the otaku. Sure they are different but they still are people and should be treated fairly.

I lost all sympathy when I noticed the siblings' father is portrayed as a mean ol' badguy who we're all supposed to hate for being a hard-working Japanese man who can't stand those who knowingly and purposely contribute jack shit to society and shun a normal life in favour of an antisocial life revolving entirely around their hobby.

Keep in mind that "otaku" is not a good thing to call yourself in Japan. It's not a playful badge of honour that translates into "nerd".

Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
1/10 for making me respond, really?? that copy pasta is old just old

What copypasta, O Delusional One? What's wrong, you just that mad that I didn't like it?

no not mad really, I know have seen that on @chan before and to each his/her own. I am sick and tired of arguing with people over how oreimo wasn't an incest anime "doesn't bother me in the slightest if it was It's fiction and only works there" also eh being a troll myself I can point out post that are meant to stir up responses from people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheSwedishElf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Uh, yeah, you're full of shit. My post was entirely my own words, and I've never even been to 2chan {I assume that's what you meant to type when you put "@chan"}.

Go back to troll school, pal, cause you're not doing a good job.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:13 am Reply with quote
Haven't seen a minute of it yet, but I'm super excited!!! Sounds like the perfect show for me. Passed on the simulcast just to wait out for the home release.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
This show, it is everything that is wrong with anime.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

If this is wrong, then I don't want to be right Cool
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Homer wrote:
Sing, O goddess, the rage of Achilles son of Peleus, that brought countless ills upon the Achaeans.

That's how the Iliad starts, and like the son of Peleus, I was filled with rage after reading this review. An 'A-' for the story? And a 'B+' overall? If you like the show, that's fine, there's no right and wrong with opinions. But opinions are subjective, but things like the plot are objective. The plot of Ore no Imouto is objectively bad. Are you telling me that you sat through the whole 'anime production' scene and thought that was fine? Are you fine with the lack of character development in the secondary characters? Are you fine with the horribly bland personality of the male lead, and the abusive nature of his relationship? I am hate to say this, but I wonder if there is a bias here, giving the past history between ANN and this show.

Anyway, my analysis of this show is easily found, but it would be impolite to bring it up in another's review. I'll will just say this. To often, there is a problem with self-selection. People watch what they like, and give it high reviews regardless of of quality, and inflate shows beyond their true value. It is the job of the reviewer to bring an unbiased look to these shows. Ore no Imouto is very much a Type-B otaku bait show, a database show par excellence. This review is adequate from a Type-B viewpoint. But I believe different viewpoints are more useful as reviews.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:

cool opinion man, so all anime should be cutting edge, dark, deep and meaningful?? if so then meh, anime is no different than any other from of media, they can have other shows such as slice of life, comedies, scifi, magic/religious, action, horror etc. If you're watching anime for one genre only then your missing out, but I am not to judge watch what you want to, however back up your statement first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:59 am Reply with quote
Quote:
cool opinion man, so all anime should be cutting edge, dark, deep and meaningful?? if so then meh, anime is no different than any other from of media, they can have other shows such as slice of life, comedies, scifi, magic/religious, action, horror etc. If you're watching anime for one genre only then your missing out, but I am not to judge watch what you want to, however back up your statement first.

While I agree with you, Oreimo IS meaningful.

Just so that everyone knows, I agree with the review. I also don't get why everyone hates Kirino; she's a bitch, yeah, but her character is like a REAL girl with REAL feelings. It's obvious that she does care for her brother and it shows, time and time again. Her relationship with Kyousuke slowly begins to warm up, and she is grateful for it.
Remember when Kirino gave Kyousuke a present? Why did Kyousuke react the way he did? Why did Kirino react the way she did when Kyousuke told her his feelings in the last episode? Really now, I none of you felt anything in that moment, then you have no souls. I CRIED when Kyousuke said he was lonely without her.
This anime is about them, and their relationship as brother-and-sister. I know I can relate, because my own relationship with my sister is like this. That's the impact this anime had. So tell me again why this anime is terrible? Why is Kirino such a bad character?
animefan1238

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
KentaMaeba wrote:
Quote:

While I agree with you, Oreimo IS meaningful.

Just so that everyone knows, I agree with the review. I also don't get why everyone hates Kirino; she's a bitch, yeah, but her character is like a REAL girl with REAL feelings. It's obvious that she does care for her brother and it shows, time and time again. Her relationship with Kyousuke slowly begins to warm up, and she is grateful for it.
Remember when Kirino gave Kyousuke a present? Why did Kyousuke react the way he did? Why did Kirino react the way she did when Kyousuke told her his feelings in the last episode? Really now, I none of you felt anything in that moment, then you have no souls. I CRIED when Kyousuke said he was lonely without her.
This anime is about them, and their relationship as brother-and-sister. I know I can relate, because my own relationship with my sister is like this. That's the impact this anime had. So tell me again why this anime is terrible? Why is Kirino such a bad character?

I loved the show. I think the relationship bwtween Kyousuke and Kirino makes the characters more real. Not every sibling relationhip is happy with cotton candy and trips to the ice cream shop. Since they two different personalities and how they live their lives they have nothing in common so they can't ger along. When he finds her game and grills her about it she let's him in on her secret. Since she is depressed because she hides it she feels alone until Kyousuke helps her be more true to herself and not hide from it. Opening up to him gave her the courage to meet people like her.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
I was filled with rage after reading this review. An 'A-' for the story? And a 'B+' overall? If you like the show, that's fine, there's no right and wrong with opinions. But opinions are subjective, but things like the plot are objective. The plot of Ore no Imouto is objectively bad. Are you telling me that you sat through the whole 'anime production' scene and thought that was fine?

Did you bother to read the actual content of the review, where I specifically pointed out that the anime production episode was the weakest link? Hard to take any other comments you make seriously if you're not even doing that.

Quote:
Are you fine with the lack of character development in the secondary characters?

What lack of character development? I saw plenty.

Quote:
Are you fine with the horribly bland personality of the male lead, and the abusive nature of his relationship?

Granted, calling Kyosuke excitingly different is a stretch, but so is calling him "bland." He is a practical, understanding guy who is shown over the course of the story to have his own deep-seeded selfish motivations. That isn't an everyday combination in anime.

Quote:
I am hate to say this, but I wonder if there is a bias here, giving the past history between ANN and this show.

And that's a big part of the reason why a review of this series hasn't come up before now: because of concerns that people who didn't agree with the review were going to pull this line of whine. Believe it or not, but it is actually possible for a review this positive to be posted without some kind of backroom deal going on, and both Zac (the editor-in-chief) and Chris MacDonald (the site manager) have too much integrity to ever allow that to happen. That you're making such accusations just because you vehemently disagree seems petty.

Quote:
Anyway, my analysis of this show is easily found, but it would be impolite to bring it up in another's review. I'll will just say this. To often, there is a problem with self-selection. People watch what they like, and give it high reviews regardless of of quality, and inflate shows beyond their true value. It is the job of the reviewer to bring an unbiased look to these shows. Ore no Imouto is very much a Type-B otaku bait show, a database show par excellence. This review is adequate from a Type-B viewpoint. But I believe different viewpoints are more useful as reviews.

So, in other words, you're accusing me of grading the series high because of a bad case of fanboyism? Sorry, but if you think that's the case here then you clearly haven't read other reviews of mine where I've railed against inferior version of what this series did. And that's precisely what I think you're missing: that there is a degree of quality and sincerity here that you won't find in other checklist shows of this type. I went into this series 100% expecting it to be the kind of trashy "Type-B otaku bait" that you apparently regard it as being, but except for the anime production episode the series consistently surprised and impressed me with how well it formed and spun its story and how entertaining it made its subject matter. And it does that despite never resorting to being thoroughly seedy (which it had every opportunity to do) or drowning itself in anime cliches.

You may not want to accept it, but quality can exist in an otakucentric show, and this is one example of it. I'm guessing that you also probably trashed last last year's Cat Planet Cuties (aka Asobi ni Ikuyo!), and for pretty much the same reasons, then? This one is as far above the norm for its type as that one was.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote
KentaMaeba, Kirino does not act like a real girl. And if she does, then it is a girl I have never met before and would never want to meet. She's completely unlikeable. She is almost totally ungrateful. She acts haughty and condescending towards her only real friend - Kuroneko - and treats her doormat of a brother with contempt despite all of the things he's done for her. Embarrassing things I might add.

This is why I hate Kirino. Well, I'm scratching the surface here, but you get the idea. She is the very definition of a character who needed a slap in the face. Unfortunately Bright Noa only slaps angsty male pilots, which probably explains why Kirino got away with her antics for so freaking long.

I wonder if the big problem with this show is that it is NOT a comedy. It isn't of course, but I wonder if that isn't the cause of many people's frustrations with it. The show tries to be this hard-hitting and insightful drama with lots of cutting social commentary, and yet it comes off as preachy and overbearing. Also, being mostly a drama means that the average viewer cannot laugh off character traits that in real life are considered highly annoying.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:36 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

I don't care if a show's a given a genre, the golden rule is you have to be not crap.

This, even by the standards of Sister Lolicon (which in of it self is just about the lowest of the lowest in terms of anime's offerings) is utter hash. The protagonist is a complete wimp who deserves the beatings and social stigma he is saddled with, the Sister we secretly want to do inappropriate things to is one of the most re-pungent characters I've ever had the misfortune to watch in a series and the story is a Mary Sue story of the highest order where we're supposed to think that even her bitching is graceful.

The fact that she throws away a chance to make her self a better person to, what even?! Just ultimately cements this waste of space as the worst show of the decade, and it only aired in '10!

So yeah, you go and watch this insult upon digital animation techniques which, if I wasn't a better man, I'd assume got it's high ratings because ANN streamed it and want to keep the sheets between them and Aniplex clean.

I'll be watching something worthy of my limited time on this earth, like Tiger and Bunny Cool
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is why I hate Kirino.

Good. Now realize that Kirino was pretty much the bad guy in the series. Hating her is not a discredit to show, not every character is going to make you feel all warm inside.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:08 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

Good. Now realize that Kirino was pretty much the bad guy in the series. Hating her is not a discredit to show, not every character is going to make you feel all warm inside.

When people decide not to buy the show because the title character is in it, that is a discredit to the show.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Quote:

When people decide not to buy the show because the title character is in it, that is a discredit to the show.

Wow, the producers made the title character the antagonist. And Dorcas_Aurelia is implying that having an antagonist people are not supposed to like reduces sales. Let's ditch antagonists and make stories with nothing but likable, pro-active leads. That should be satisfying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4