• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Wal-Mart Chooses Blu-ray Disc over HD DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
To address some things brought up here. I believe there are indeed one or two standalone BD players cheaper than the PS3, but the PS3 still remains the best bang for your buck. There is so much you can do with it that I can't honestly think of any reason why anyone would get a standalone player over a PS3... it would be better to spend that $100 more and get a 40 GB PS3 and the remote control than a standalone player.

Also given the popularity of the PlayStation, as the price drops and mroe games release there wil be more of them in people's homes, don't forget blu-ray's victory today is largely in part thanks to the PS3. Also many stores will no doubt bundle a PS3 or cheaper BD player with HDTVs so custmers will have plenty of incentives to get one.

Getting to the UMD format and PSP, Sony has acknowledged that the UMD movie front was badly executed, studios didn't heed Sony's warnings and just released anything and everything without considering the demographic of people who would pick up PSPs, as well the prices were simply ridiculous. Sony still intends to sell UMD movies but they will be selective in what they release and they intend to reduce the price largely. Not to mention the PSP Slim with the TV-out feature is a step forward so you can watch movies from your PSP to your TV since UMD movies are the same 480p quality of DVDs. Also in terms of movie support for PSP, Sony have announced that as part of their BD LIVE features for blu-ray discs, a PSP sized version of the movie will be included on the disc that can be copied to your PSP's memory stick, and I believe Video iPODs as well. And every now and then I suppose companies will release some PSP exclusive stuff like the Silent Hill Experience or the digital graphic novels for Metal Gear Solid, or Devil May Cry 3 cutscenes etc. I can certainly see a market for those kinds of fan servicey stuff and of course one can point out that Advent Children apparently sold extraordinarily well on UMD! So it's just all determined by the sort of product.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:32 pm Reply with quote
For those saying there's no difference in quality between DVDs and BD, I beg to differ. I have a 26" LCD HDTV, and I just bought Good Luck Chuck and Ratatouille on BD and watched them with my PS3. The visual quality on both was stunning. And considering that I can get BDs at Wal*Mart for anywhere from $19.88-$29.76, or things like the Die Hard quadrilogy for less than $90 or Resident Evil trilogy for less than $60 puts them at barely more than the price of a regular DVD for a lot more quality. And since I don't buy a whole lot of movies anyway, I'm switching over to BD now. It's only gonna cost me maybe an extra $5/movie. That's pretty good in my book.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the PS3 still remains the best bang for your buck. There is so much you can do with it

Except play video games on it. Rolling Eyes
Curtis W.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:10 pm Reply with quote
ZeroRyoko1974 wrote:
*pounds the final nail into the HD DVD coffin* Its official, its dead.

Are they not the same damn thing? Who really cares which one you get, your still getting a "High-Def" Experience. Rolling Eyes
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:20 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Plus, the pricing is still way too high (but I'm sure that will change, because demand should be going up as people stop waiting to see who wins the format war).

Most players on the market are still using the larger/more-expensive 1st lasers, and will always cost a bit more under the appliance theory (you shouldn't need to buy as many or as often, so manufacturers need their profit premiums to be a touch higher, particularly those not in the content arena.)

As to media, however ...
teh*darkness wrote:
And considering that I can get BDs at Wal*Mart for anywhere from $19.88-$29.76, or things like the Die Hard quadrilogy for less than $90 or Resident Evil trilogy for less than $60 puts them at barely more than the price of a regular DVD for a lot more quality. And since I don't buy a whole lot of movies anyway, I'm switching over to BD now. It's only gonna cost me maybe an extra $5/movie. That's pretty good in my book.

And Big-A's current sale is at least 53% off. There is little reason to run around complaining about how BD's list price is so high, DVDs were and sometimes still are just as bad. The two major differences are that very few people pay MSRP on a DVD these days, and that prices really came down once HD media began heading for the mainstream.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

You can play games on a PS3. There are plenty of demos for download that are free including PSP demos, plus many games are multiplatform on both Xbox 360 and PS3. Many do play better on the 360 because they are ported over, but more games will either be using PS3 as the lead or developing both simultaneously. Call of Duty 4 and Devil May Cry 4 run very well. Also there are great exclusive titles like Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Heavenly Sword, Folklore, Resistence etc. etc. Also more exclusive games are coming out this year.

PSOne games play on all PS3 systems, and PS2 games play on all except the 40GB, so there's big catalogue of back titles to get. There are some PSOne games for download as well as arcade games and PSP titles. You can use remote play on your PSP to access content features and PSOne games too. PSOne and 2 games are upscaled for your HDTV as well.

Not to mention on the movie side of things there's obviously blu-ray, then DVD upscaling (though only through HDMI) and official DivX support.

Plus there a lot more too. I sound like a salesperson but frankly I've never been more impressed by a piece of electronics. Razz I can't wait to see what the next updates bring, plus didn't you know the PS3 helps cure cancer! Cool
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
jd: Those aren't must-own games, though. And DMC 4 ain't PS3-exclusive.
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
jd: Those aren't must-own games, though.

By you saying that, I'm assuming you haven't played any of them.

Anyway, back to general BD discussion, has anybody tried out transferring any to a PSP? Supposedly Shoot Em Up already has this functionality.

It'd be great if companies did this with TV series.
clsnwbrdr616

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Ugh! Console wars spreading to anime forums... what is wrong with this generation of consoles? I don't understand why people have such issues with other people liking a video game system that they don't. I'm just sick of hearing the squabbling.

Zoe wrote:
Anyway, back to general BD discussion, has anybody tried out transferring any to a PSP? Supposedly Shoot Em Up already has this functionality.

Are you refering to taking a blu-ray movie and converting it to a PSP video file?... wish my computer had a BD drive/burner but they're just as much as the stand-alone players. lol I'd love to try that with my Paprika blu-ray disc if I had a drive.

Last edited by clsnwbrdr616 on Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
clsnwbrdr616 wrote:

Are you refering to taking a blu-ray movie and converting it to a PSP video file?... wish my computer had a BD drive/burner but they're just as much as the stand-alone players. lol I'd love to try that with my Paprika blu-ray disc if I had a drive.

Yep!

To be honest, I seriously doubt I'll ever take advantage of it, but it's nice to have the option.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
One of the funniest videos on the subject:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywWfmRdOmJ0

I found myself thinking about it today.
Celes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
the PS3 still remains the best bang for your buck. There is so much you can do with it

LAWL wow that was a real zinger. Yep, sure can't play any games on the PS3. Can't play the new PS3 games (DMC4, yay!!!) that have just come out, can't use awesome backwards compatibility to play PS2 and PS games either...Won't be able to play Soulcalibur IV or Resident Evil 5 or Metal Gear Solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII when those come out too. Sony, you knuckleheads! Rolling Eyes

The best thing about the PS3's blu-ray is that you can just download updates for it automatically with your internet connection that you set up with the system. And it seems to load a lot faster than some other blu-ray players I have used at friends' houses.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Zoe:
Quote:
By you saying that, I'm assuming you haven't played any of them.

Nope. Neither have most PS3 owners, judging by their preference to buying BD discs. Rolling Eyes

Celes:
Quote:
Can't play the new PS3 games (DMC4, yay!!!) that have just come out,

You can play that on a 360, though...

Quote:
can't use awesome backwards compatibility to play PS2 and PS games either...

Not anymore, anyway.

Quote:
Won't be able to play Soulcalibur IV or Resident Evil 5 or Metal Gear Solid 4 or Final Fantasy XIII when those come out too.

Emphasis on "when those come out"...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote
clsnwbrdr616 wrote:
Ugh! Console wars spreading to anime forums... what is wrong with this generation of consoles? I don't understand why people have such issues with other people liking a video game system that they don't. I'm just sick of hearing the squabbling.

Here I'll add to the BS.It doesn't seem like the new systems care about DRM either.Both PS3 and 360 play .avi.I don't need to tell you how bad that is.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Here I'll add to the BS.It doesn't seem like the new systems care about DRM either.Both PS3 and 360 play .avi.I don't need to tell you how bad that is.

Well, I at least don't think we'll ever see either of them supportinig mkv Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4