• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Announces April/May Releases

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I saw an episode of that somewhere. But since I saw it, I've been wanted to see it. Yay...more debt on my credit card! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
My credit card is threatening a law suit and a restraining order as we speak.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:10 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Serge wrote:
The Retail Price for the DMC DVD 2 + Box is less...

All the prices are MSRP. But hell, even at MSRP, that's too expensive for DVDs.

But most artboxes are $39.98 MSRP. So it is a drop in price. Most everyone likes to see those types of trends. Or at least the start of them.

BluMeino wrote:
We're not like typical ANN goers where we feel guilty and obligated to buy a show we watched fansubbed.

Rolling Eyes
BluMeino wrote:
And I don't normally like downloading dvd rips. Because the english track is generally first and I have to manually switch over to the japanese and turn on the subtitles. And it does feel more like stealing than simply downloading fansubs.

In that case it's clearly more than a feeling. They are just as simple as downloading fansubs.

Moomintroll wrote:
Still no news on their manga releases then. Confused

Yeah I am cocerned about that as well. Does ADV normally mix both DVD and manga releases on the same solicitation announcements though? I was hoping that the manga department would be back online and working normally, since if they were I was going to start following Gunsliger Girl. I am already following Yotsuba&!, but I wasn't going to start anything new from them until I see them starting to act normally. You would think that there was enough money coming in for them to justify doing so, since they basically came in 5th in sales, beating out publishers like Broccoli, CMX Manga, and Go! Comi. And that's after just coming back into the market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Maidenoftheredhand"]
Zalis116 wrote:

I don't really understand the anger among fansub watchers at DVD delays -- they've already seen the series, so where's the hurry to see it again? (Unless they're that desperate to see the English audio, which I sincerely doubt given the overall reactions to trailers and promos among viewers who've seen the show in question.) If I see something in fansubs, I don't need to see it again on DVD 3 months after the Japanese airing concludes. I'm perfectly fine with waiting ~1.5 years for the DVDs, because by that time, the series is ripe for rewatching. If anyone should be getting indignant about the Gurren Lagann delays, it's people who haven't seen it in fansubs and are waiting for the DVD release to see it, all while hoping that some random Youtube comment or forum post doesn't spoil them on the key events.

cause heaven forbid i want quality versions, and not tv rips.

sorry but as a consumer, i have a right to be pissed off about this. you may say people are being impatient, but the fact is this hurts ADV moreso. by the time it's released, the series will be a year old. by not having the show out there, they're losing media hype to other series that are getting released on time. just look how much has been announced Bandai and Funimation in the last couple of weeks. do you think Kyoshiro will receive as much hype as something like Claymore? this is a huge disaster, and something needs to done soon.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:40 pm; edited 3 times in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

Yeah I am cocerned about that as well. Does ADV normally mix both DVD and manga releases on the same solicitation announcements though? I was hoping that the manga department would be back online and working normally, since if they were I was going to start following Gunsliger Girl. I am already following Yotsuba&!, but I wasn't going to start anything new from them until I see them starting to act normally. You would think that there was enough money coming in for them to justify doing so, since they basically came in 5th in sales, beating out publishers like Broccoli, CMX Manga, and Go! Comi. And that's after just coming back into the market.

I've never seen manga solicited with the DVD solicitations. There are the unnofficial listings from Diamond or people post new dates based on retailers, but I've never seen official solicitations for manga from any company. I figure Gunslinger Girl is slowing down after two or three quick releases due to getting close to catching up with the Japanese release. At least that's what I hope.

As for the new solicitations, it looks like Kanon is getting pushed back a month which probably kills my chances of being able to pick up volumes 2-6 in one fell swoop at the next ADV sale, but that's no big deal. Hopefully we'll hear about Gurren Lagann soon. Those and Five Centimeters Per Second are the only ADV titles I care about at the moment.
Ryokosha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Wait do you mean all Kanon volumes from 4 on are now a month later then they were going to be?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
BlueMein:
Quote:
Even those who hate buying anime for the reasons Answerman hates would still buy Gurren Lagann.

Not with a non-catchy name like that.

Quote:
All the prices are MSRP. But hell, even at MSRP, that's too expensive for DVDs.

They're reasonable to me.

Quote:
I saw the show 10 months ago, I want my DVD now.

There are a lot of titles that took that long, maybe even longer, just to get licensed. Have some patience.

Quote:
And the rabid fansub watchers and the rest represent quite a few hundred or thousand extra customers than ADV would normally have.

I hate to break it to you, but the rabid fansubbers and watchers are more likely to be buying Claymore than Gurren Lagan.

Quote:
Oh wow, 480i on DVD for 30 bucks. Now I can get 720p TV rips that look absolutely gorgeous, even if they have some loss and are possibly upscaled.

No one cares about those specs, except people who masturbate while reading AOD message boards.

Quote:
I can only imagine what companies will charge for anime on Blu-Ray. Probably like $60 per blu-ray disc; good luck trying to sell anything.

Well, they've managed to out-sell HD-DVD...

Maiden:
Quote:
I am sorry to be selfish but I really don't care about any of the other series they are releasing. Good for all the fans that are collecting those but it doesn't do me any good.

Those other releases give ADV a financial incentive to put GL on R1 dvd.

Quote:
If we have to wait until after May to get Gurren Lagann that is a little ridiculous.

I waited eight years for Memories and 20 for Macross, so that's nothing.

Penguin:
Quote:
The same way 'MoHS' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase', and essentially flat-lined? The same way 'Death Note' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase', and even with TV exposure has meet with so-so results/reception?

Death Note's doing badly? That's news to me. I doubt Viz would be selling a $20 novel spin-off if that were the case. I'm also not sure where anyone gets the idea that Haruhi is disappointing. It's true I haven't caught it yet, either, other than all those Youtube dance-offs; nor do I plan to do so in the future. But I can't imagine Kadokawa would continue to do business with Bandai Entertainment if the series was a failure here. True, it was popular with otakus, but what's probably kept it from failing is that it's not an otaku-centric title. That is, anyone can watch it and enjoy it, not just people who whack off to dating sims. I know that's a hard concept to swallow nowadays, but that was what anime was like once. Rolling Eyes

Zalis:
Quote:
It's long, it's got to be expensive as heck to license (given its mega-popularity in Japan) and dub, and it probably won't make any money without a TV deal. After all, they did drop Mermaid Melody for whatever reason, and word is they did so because they couldn't get a TV deal and didn't think the series would be profitable without one.

True, but there is a market for quirky shows, as Shin Chan and Bobobo has proven. Mermaid Melody was about selling dubbed j-pop here, so there wasn't much to gain, even though Del Rey licensed the manga.

Quote:
but the "haters" see it as a Great Threat that's somehow Taking Over anime and leading it to its ruin.

So what part of that isn't true?

Ryo:
Quote:
It is ironic that those who like it, such as myself, will speak in defense of it very strongly while otherwise just being happy it is out, but those that don't like it preach the dogs and cats living together total chaos speech every time the topic is brought up.

You're happy, because you can't tell them apart, and don't care either way. Rolling Eyes
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I waited eight years for Memories and 20 for Macross, so that's nothing.

Imagining that is a little headache-inducing. However, right now we R1 anime fans are in a kind of "oh my gosh, gotta eat all of the ice cream in one sitting before it melts" state of mind, what with how The Industry is doing these days. I'll admit to thinking, "Please ADV, please oh please wait to release Gurren Lagann before you go under, I beg of you."

tl;dr OH NO, THE SKY IS FALLING!!
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:44 pm Reply with quote
BluMeino wrote:
Answeman can BAAAAAWWW all he want about how me and my contingent are killing the anime industry. I say "stop producing crap" and then we'll talk.

I have to question why you spend your time watching said crap? Rolling Eyes

I'd consider my time far more valuable than money.
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:

Death Note's doing badly? That's news to me. I doubt Viz would be selling a $20 novel spin-off if that were the case. I'm also not sure where anyone gets the idea that Haruhi is disappointing. It's true I haven't caught it yet, either, other than all those Youtube dance-offs; nor do I plan to do so in the future. But I can't imagine Kadokawa would continue to do business with Bandai Entertainment if the series was a failure here. True, it was popular with otakus, but what's probably kept it from failing is that it's not an otaku-centric title. That is, anyone can watch it and enjoy it, not just people who whack off to dating sims. I know that's a hard concept to swallow nowadays, but that was what anime was like once. Rolling Eyes

In the case of 'Death Note' I'm not suggesting it's a big sales flop, but that particular show had a very substantial head-wind of internet hype around it, and from my vantage it's actual 'fan impact' doesn't seem to anywhere near match the build-up. Decent, but not fervent reaction round' these parts, lukewarm reaction from demographic-oriented anime fans I talk with, and unimpressive TV ratings for such a 'hyped show'. 'MoHS' falls into some of the same currents, a show with ridiculously huge internet presence (beyond content hype memes/references to the show peppered general internet culture) that squeaked and fizzled when it hit DVD. In that case, there was actually a thread on here that had vidscan/sales numbers, as well as a few industry-quoted blurbs that referenced the (assumed) surprisingly disappointing sales.

The overall point is that internet fan frenzy can be a shaky indicator of future mainstream sales/success/popularity, which was my general point in response to the poster I quoted. I'll also agree that 'Gurren Lagan's 'blockbuster' appeal is probably being massively over-stated, being mecha/sci-fi material generally is a niche 'otaku' taste (possible exception being the previously mentioned 'Code Geass', which is basically the 'Andrew Lloyd Weber' of the mecha world).
nuaythebest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In that case, there was actually a thread on here that had vidscan/sales numbers, as well as a few industry-quoted blurbs that referenced the (assumed) surprisingly disappointing sales.

No, Haruhi sales number was "good" but Kadokawa expect it to be "great" , like FMA, Death Note ect. ,not just just good.
angieness

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not following any of the series listed so I'm really only interested in hearing about Gurren Lagann. I'm really hoping ADV will be nice and give us a SE version of the first volume since it seems like originally that wasn't the case. I will gladly plop down any amount of money for a SE version of the first volume Anime hyper I just finished Beck and Mushishi, I need GL to absorb my left over money
bonnebonne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Goodpenguin wrote:
The same way 'MoHS' was a fansub favorite, deemed 'worthy of purchase', and essentially flat-lined?

I personally would have never even noticed Haruhi if I hadn't seen the fansubs first. But I did, and now I own all four overpriced collector's boxes.

I probably would've checked out Gurren Lagann regardless since I'm a Gainax fan, but it's nice to know for sure that it is awesome before I invest in it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Penguin:
Quote:
Decent, but not fervent reaction round' these parts, lukewarm reaction from demographic-oriented anime fans I talk with, and unimpressive TV ratings for such a 'hyped show'.

Blame it on the tastes of the AS crowd. They like their shows fast and action-packed. Paranoia Agent suffered a similar fate. Still, Viz isn't losing any money on it, so I doubt they care.

Quote:
'MoHS' falls into some of the same currents, a show with ridiculously huge internet presence (beyond content hype memes/references to the show peppered general internet culture) that squeaked and fizzled when it hit DVD. In that case, there was actually a thread on here that had vidscan/sales numbers, as well as a few industry-quoted blurbs that referenced the (assumed) surprisingly disappointing sales.

Well, yeah, but it probably did better than most shows which are popular on the Internets. Bandai Entertainment didn't seem to be complaining, so I guess it filled that niche created from losing Love Hina to FUNimation.

Quote:
I'll also agree that 'Gurren Lagan's 'blockbuster' appeal is probably being massively over-stated, being mecha/sci-fi material generally is a niche 'otaku' taste

Appleseed and GITS do ok here, but then those don't appeal to otaku, so...
Lordryo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait for Gurren Lagann to recieve it's own release date, I already pre-ordered vol. 1. Although I'm really hoping for a Collector's Edition or something it would suck to have to re-buy the first volume just to get it, but I would! ^^

And does this mean that ADV will give out the free Devil May Cry Vol. 1 cases for those who bought the CE for DMC4?
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:27 pm Reply with quote
maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I don't think people who actually want to spend money on the DVD should be given a hard time. People get upset when they are looking forward to something and their hopes are dashed. It's as simple as that.
I'm not trying to give those people a hard time; obviously I'm glad they want to put down money for TTGL or whatever series, but I just don't understand the "I want it yesterday" mentality. Right now I'm watching a series called Eden's Bowy, which aired in 1999-2000 and has a 2003 copyright on the DVD. And I can't find any indication that that was considered a disastrously long wait time back then. Yeah I know it's not 2003 anymore, but looking at things from a long-term perspective, average release windows have dropped considerably over the past 5 years. And yet it's still not fast enough in some cases.
v1cious wrote:
cause heaven forbid i want quality versions, and not tv rips.

sorry but as a consumer, i have a right to be pissed off about this. you may say people are being impatient, but the fact is this hurts ADV moreso. by the time it's released, the series will be a year old. by not having the show out there, they're losing media hype to other series that are getting released on time. just look how much has been announced Bandai and Funimation in the last couple of weeks. do you think Kyoshiro will receive as much hype as something like Claymore? this is a huge disaster, and something needs to done soon.
But I thought the TV-fansubs for TTGL were full of epic win and high-def 720p "better than DVD" goodness? To be honest, I never saw TTGL (or Sgt. Frog, for that matter) in fansubs, so maybe I don't know what the hype and the fervor is all about. Maybe if I had, I'd be clamoring for it as well. So yes, you have the right to feel however you want about it, especially since I'm preaching from the "never even seen the show" pulpit. But just what is "on time" for R1 releases, anyway? At one point in time, a 2-3-year window after airing was considered reasonable and timely, as far as I can tell. Like GATSU, I can think of several examples of much greater release windows, like 10 years with Marmalade Boy, 9 years for Kodocha, 8 years for To Heart, 6 years for Boys Be, etc. Granted, none of those have had the widespread anticipation that Gurren-Lagann's enjoyed. But I don't like the idea that this release scheduling (and licensing) is a zero-sum game, i.e. "ADV scheduled Shattered Angels instead of Gurren Lagann, where are their priorities?" I'm not accusing you of this thinking, v1cious, but it's popped up here and there in this thread and in others.

EDIT: @LordRyo -- ADV will most likely do an artbox release with volume 2, which they've been doing for most of their series in the last year and a half. So no need to have fears about rebuying a vol.1 special edition.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4