• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blade of the Immortal TV Anime Confirmed for Summer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
8JF wrote:
Ginrai1984 wrote:
ever watched their adaption of tsubasa RC!?*assuming not*they screwed up with that since ep1 and it was pretty awfull to see that become of one of my first manga i've read.

You're right, I haven't seen Tsubasa. However, I have watched Noir, Madlax and the .Hack animes and these aren't suffering from animation failures or problems.

I can't say much about the other series, but Noir did have some "animation flaws", mostly they short cutted things, such as, if there were people speaking, their mouths would be cut off screen so they would not have to be animated.

Overall I don't think Bee Train animation is that bad, it just they seem... kinda bland... (compared to a lot of other studios)
scortia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Director and Animation Studio = Worrysome
Seiyuu and Character Designer = Awesome
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:03 pm Reply with quote
This is one of a handful of manga that I can't imagine as an anime. The art's way too detailed and sketch-like. And while I dig the voice casting, the director of "Noir"? The series-that-should-have-been-a-movie-'cause-nothing-happened? Not to mention its clone, "Madlax"? I seriously doubt I'll find it a satisfying version of my absolute favorite manga. I'd always imagined it as live action, really...

Quote:
Still, if this does okay, it might be the impetus Dark Horse needs to re-release the manga unflipped and at a slightly more affordable price.

"BotI" isn't flipped; the panels are re-pasted into Western order. And re: the cost, all manga is much more expensive in the states than it is in Japan - but when it comes to BotI I've never resented it. It's art, not some $10 Tokyopop or Viz speed-release.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
"BotI" isn't flipped; the panels are re-pasted into Western order.

Yeah, I know. "Flipped" was just easier than pointlessly going into the specific mechanics of the re-ordering.

Quote:
And re: the cost, all manga is much more expensive in the states than it is in Japan

Given that I'm not in either the US or Japan I'm not at all sure how that's relevant...
plastique

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
The only way I ever thought this could be done right is if it was done by Studio 4C, who did the Kill Bill sequence and the skateboard thing from the Animatrix(I think) and if it was released like Hellsing Ultimate, when they would have a fairly big budget and would only release an episode when it was done. Hellsing Ultimate is a more faithful adaptation than the original show, which had time constraints and budget quality issues. Blade's level of artistry is the type that demands time, talent, and at least a higher-than-usual budget.

I had doubts that it could be done properly by any studio for any amount of money, even if they just adapted the first book in a one-shot movie. The line work and pacing just fit the manga form so well.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I really like Noir so i'll be looking forward to this.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
8JF wrote:
You're right, I haven't seen Tsubasa. However, I have watched Noir, Madlax and the .Hack animes and these aren't suffering from animation failures or problems.

Please look up what animation means, here's a hint it's not stills. Go to youtube and type in sakuga, that sort of stuff Bee Train have never done well.
reanimator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
I'm having trouble visualising Hiroaki Samura's artwork in anime form. They're going to have to simplify the character designs to the extent that they'll be near unrecognisable.

It's not that hard to visualize his artwork in animation form. You just have to omit hatch lines and replace them with cel shading. For line quality, it has to be more solid than manga version.

In practical sense, no one will draw countless hatch lines for animation. If you do that, you'll wind up in a hospital even before finishing 5 seconds of animation. So I'm guessing that your concern is not simplification, but putting character designer's personal flair into the manga based characters.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
Isn't it a little odd for a Manga to receive an anime adaptation after this long? I mean, it's been going since 1994 I believe. Why now? Anyway, I'm not all that familiar with Bee Train. The only thing of theirs I've seen is Noir. I don't remember any animation problems but that may have been because I was focused on how bad it was overall. I guess there's no harm here though. Worst case scenario it totally sucks. Since at this point it seemed like there wouldn't be an anime adaptation anyway so the way I look at it nothing is really lost so what can it hurt to try?
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Isn't it a little odd for a Manga to receive an anime adaptation after this long? I mean, it's been going since 1994 I believe. Why now? Anyway, I'm not all that familiar with Bee Train. The only thing of theirs I've seen is Noir. I don't remember any animation problems but that may have been because I was focused on how bad it was overall. I guess there's no harm here though. Worst case scenario it totally sucks. Since at this point it seemed like there wouldn't be an anime adaptation anyway so the way I look at it nothing is really lost so what can it hurt to try?

Hell, Dragonball is getting a live action American theatrical film and it started in 1984.

Romeo x Juliet is based off a classic Shakespearean work which is much older.

And to you Bee Train nay-sayers, do better than them... I dares ya.
enoah ballard

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:39 am Reply with quote
Blade of the immortal would have only looked correct as a rough, earthy 90s OVA. All the post-processing they do as standard nowadays wouldn't suite it.

8JF wrote:
Ginrai1984 wrote:
ever watched their adaption of tsubasa RC!?*assuming not*they screwed up with that since ep1 and it was pretty awfull to see that become of one of my first manga i've read.

Noir, Madlax and .hack have some of the most boring, lackluster animation of their time. Have some standards man.

Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Are all film critics professional directors? No.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
The studio don't concern me, the actual people working on the project make it good or bad, so I'm not sure what to make of this. Maybe Koichi Mashimo will do a good job, maybe not. What director would others have liked to see picked for the project? I thought Yoshiaki Kawajiri for a second, they actually might have been a good choice but I don't know. Maybe Tsuneo Kobayashi (The Twelve Kingdoms), Kazuhiro Furuhashi (Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal) or Hirotsugu HAMAZAKI (Texhnolyze, Shigurui). They all have experience directing historical drama, Kawajiri might manage to make something as good as X TV out of this, another quality adaptation zie did. I'd also quite like to see some animation from Shinya Ohira, who might actually manage to adapt the style of the manga quite well as they move the lines around a lot. I'm tempted to say that Shichiro Kobayashi would make a great art director, but then I love everything they do and don't know the names of many art directors, still they tend to make everything look sketchy and painterly. Getting Seiichi Hayashi, Eiichi Yamamoto and Gisaburô Sugii involved in some way would be wonderful.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:02 am Reply with quote
enoah ballard wrote:

Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Newsflash: You aren't film critics.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:
enoah ballard wrote:

Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Newsflash: You aren't film critics.

Though not professional film critics, criticizing films does literally make them film critics.
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:39 am Reply with quote
Kyaa the Catlord wrote:

Going by your logic NBA fans shouldn't criticize Kwame Brown for being one of the worst #1 draft picks in NBA History because we can't play better than him? I call a spade a spade and Bee Train [expletive] suck.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4