• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - 3-D Test

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:40 am Reply with quote
sfried wrote:
You should care for its system wide StreetPass/SpotPass feature and Game Coins. The ability to receive new stuff and also make "puchases" using in-game currency aquired by walking are great incentives, especially when games utilize them.

Why should I care about either of those things? Game coins sound stupid. If you're willing to give me free content then just give it to me. Don't try to force me to walk around to get it. I'm a human being, not a [expletive] terrier. As for streetpass, it's an interesting idea but I'm honestly not sure what it's practical applications are. At best these feel like simply a couple more gimmicks that I don't really need but am being forced to buy.
Veroniku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I think what sfried meant was that the 3DS is a game in itself, with the MiiPlaza and Pokemon 3D and all these. The Gamecoins are a game. Through playing it (walking), you reach the game's goal (rewards). If you don't like walking it's all good, don't play that game. Personally I loved it.

And once those games are beat, the coins can be used in Pokemon Rumble Blast and Samurai Warriors (and surely other games I don't know of). They can be useful.

As for Streetpass/Spotpass, besides MiiPlaza which was extremely funny at anime conventions, I experienced it in Samurai Warriors, it was a cute addon.

To each their own of course but the 3DS console is enjoyable without even putting a catridge in it, in my opinion.

And as it was mentioned before, it seems people forget how much of a slow start the (fat) DS had at first. I guess it was so long ago and now the DS is so mainstream and has so many games, it's hard to remember. I had waited for the DSlite before jumping in the bandwagon myself, I'm sure lots of people had done the same.

And it's funny how everyone makes a big deal that Nintendo lost money this year (because investors are scared of the WiiU I suppose), but this is the first time I hear that Sony lost money too. Interesting to know.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I got Skyward Sword today. It is good. How good? Good enough to make me temporarily put aside Skyrim, which until now would have taken either very large sums of money or a gun pressed to my head.

About the 3DS, I had one for awhile. I sold it for money to upgrade my computer. I'm definitely going to get one again, but I'm waiting at least another six months until its built up a decent library.

Quote:
I really don't care about 3D or motion sensors and the graphics don't actually look like any great improvement over the DS.

It is. I know a lot of the games haven't been pushing the hardware very much (even some of Nintendo's), but when you see a game that uses it, the extra horsepower is very noticeable. Ocarina of Time in particular looks beautiful, and Mario 3D looks better than a lot of Wii games.
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
I got Skyward Sword today. It is good. How good? Good enough to make me temporarily put aside Skyrim, which until now would have taken either very large sums of money or a gun pressed to my head.

Hey man I've got a question, from your first impressions is Skyward Sword as great as all the reviews have been touting so far? That is, does it really seem to match/exceed Ocarina of Time in greatness, and is it really the best Zelda game yet?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 am Reply with quote
Veroniku wrote:

but this is the first time I hear that Sony lost money too. Interesting to know.

Ha! Far from it. Laughing

"Sony headed for fourth straight year in the red."
sfried

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:56 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:

About the 3DS, I had one for awhile. I sold it for money to upgrade my computer. I'm definitely going to get one again, but I'm waiting at least another six months until its built up a decent library.
The 3DS is already building up a better library than the DS did initially in the same time period by the end of the hollidays (Cave Story 3D, Nano Assault, An Ace Combat game that borrows a lot from Sky Crawlers and is said to be better than Assault Horizon, Dr. Lautrec, plus Nintendo's 2 hits). Of course I wouldn't fault people if what they are really looking forward to is Sakurai's Kid Icarus revival, with Production I.G., Studio 4C, and SHAFT animation houses making shorts and whatnot they're making for this one 3DS game.

Also cannot wait for Rune Factory 4 and Level 5's Guild 01 omnibus collection.
Penguin_Factory wrote:

Quote:
I really don't care about 3D or motion sensors and the graphics don't actually look like any great improvement over the DS.

It is. I know a lot of the games haven't been pushing the hardware very much (even some of Nintendo's), but when you see a game that uses it, the extra horsepower is very noticeable. Ocarina of Time in particular looks beautiful, and Mario 3D looks better than a lot of Wii games.
Might I mention Star Fox 64 and those water effects... Q Games did an awesome job with this one.
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:51 am Reply with quote
KOFXIII is worth buying, and I'd personally recommend it over UMvC3.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:30 am Reply with quote
I swear, the Gorons are getting smarter and smarter with every game.

belvadeer wrote:
3DS: I'm with Todd on this one. Where are the RPGs for this thing? I won't care about it until I get Tales of the Abyss 3DS as well as the new Paper Mario. UnchainBlades Rexx is an impressive project considering the artists and voice work that went into it, but I'd rather have it for the PSP, which may become more beloved now that the Vita has just announced its reason for epic fail in the near future. Seriously Nintendo, repeat after me, "We want RPGs.", okay?

RPGs are declining in popularity quite rapidly as a genre in the west, especially JRPG. If it's not Pokémon or Mario, it'll be hit-or-miss critically and financially. That's why so many aren't localized into English.

Quote:
And as it was mentioned before, it seems people forget how much of a slow start the (fat) DS had at first. I guess it was so long ago and now the DS is so mainstream and has so many games, it's hard to remember. I had waited for the DSlite before jumping in the bandwagon myself, I'm sure lots of people had done the same.

That's true. For a while, the DS also had these games that felt more like experiments and showcases than full games, like Yoshi Touch and Go. Besides, if the PS3 can still get by in the presence of the PS2 for much longer than the 3DS will coexist with the DS, then there is nothing to worry about.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

RPGs are declining in popularity quite rapidly as a genre in the west, especially JRPG.

JRPGs just need to enhance the tried-and-true turn-based choose-your-move gameplay experience. RPGs in the West just moved; MMORPGs are thriving; Skyrim just came out; Diablo III is hotly anticipated. So the RPG elements themselves are OK with Western gamers; it's just the gameplay interaction that has to improve.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
It actually feels more like the overall style of JRPGs is what turns people away. I think western gamers want customization out of them: They want to create their own characters, give them the weapons and items they want them to have, and roam around freely. JRPGs tend to have a fixed protagonist and a fixed story (and sometimes fixed weaponry too).

That is, western RPG gamers want freedom. They're not so much interested in hearing a story as they want to tell one. Games like the Final Fantasy are now having trouble because they're very linear (and the derogatory term "corridor game" has popped up to describe this). The Pokémon series, on the other hand, has extreme customization for your team and, after the story ends, the game world becomes a nonlinear playground.

There's also a lot of flak for having a Japanese look, at least among some people I've met--the current trend is total dissociation from anime. And there are also a lot of people who hate turn-based games and don't see why people get fun out of it, but these people were never going to buy RPGs of any sort anyway and are thus not part of the audience companies like Squaresoft have lost.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3