• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kadokawa USA Announces Six New Licenses

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo:

Please don't quote numbers at me. I am well aware of effor, time and money that goes into a dub.

As far as the rest of the crap you said, well, we'll never know now will we.

Now please continue on with youy egocentric elitist wank fest.

hikaru004 wrote:
A title about trading in the Middle Ages hardly strikes me as mainstream.

Yes only ninja's are mainstream.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
A title about trading in the Middle Ages hardly strikes me as mainstream.

I'm guessing you didn't watch it. The focus was on the hot naked wolf-girl, not the economics.
loka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:10 pm Reply with quote
is there really a market for H20? while i can see clannad, true tears, ef getting licensed... H20 was not memorable.

Last edited by loka on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:13 pm Reply with quote
AWESOME! I was waiting for someone to pick up Junjou Romantica.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Spice and Wolf didn't seem to be worth money with how short it is and knowing how much it will cost. H20 was junk. Ninomiya-Kun was decent but not gonna get a dime from me. Rental Magica i might actually spend money on depending on the price.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Given that everything else Kadokawa is listed as having licensed has been dubbed, I think it's likely at least some of these tiles will be.

@ Dargonxtc: I'm with you. I'm rather tired of the "it's a crap show just sub-only it in a box set" type of comments too.

First, one person's crap show may very well be someone else's favorite. And sometimes a lot of someone else's favorite.

Second, what is up with the comments about shows not "deserving" an English dub? Exactly what "deserves" to be dubbed? Just the big, mainstream series? What, the rest of the anime fanbase that watches dubs doesn't deserve consideration?

Third, why are sub fans always so quick to decide a show's fate before it even hits the damn shelves? Do ya'll have magic powers of prophecy? Do you have access to the spreadsheets of the anime companies? Do you even know how the company plans to market the series?

And folks, sub-only does not mean an instant boxset and English dub included with Japanese dub does not mean there won't be an instant box set. (Considering most of you have already watched the shows fansubbed, perhaps you could learn patience.)

I think all that "we're the only real anime fans" crap you're getting from the fan subbers is starting to mess with your heads.

And yes I'm a very biased English dub anime fan. It is my desire that all English-speaking anime fans should get what they want at the very least since, if I am not mistaken, we are the second major consumer of anime after the Japanese.
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that this will be a sub only release. It's a disturbing trend. I wouldn't have a problem if companies would release sub only first for a cheaper price and then later on come out with a dub for a little more.

Kodakawa hasn't done any sub only releases yet, so no reason to think they'll start now. The harem shows for sure will get dubs because they're harem shows and will sell on that alone. Spice and Wolf will hopefully go to Nozomi and will get a dub just like The Third. Rental Magica looks like Funimation to me, as do the harem shows. Not sure about the first one, though. Media Blasters, maybe. They've done a lot of yaoi in the past.

PS - shows are being done sub only because they don't make enough money to produce a dub. Dubs don't make people buy dvds, and for the types of titles this is happening to, which is a tiny percentage overall, the lost sales are so minimal that they don't really matter. Besides, do you know the kind of complaining that would go on if any company said "We're going to start charging more for a dub." Good lord, the hell fire and damnation that would be rained down on them for favoring the sub fans like that and being purest snobs! The unfair discrimination against dub watchers would be intolerable! Laughing (though people have actually said all of that about sub only releases in general, I just find it funny)
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Second, what is up with the comments about shows not "deserving" an English dub? Exactly what "deserves" to be dubbed? Just the big, mainstream series? What, the rest of the anime fanbase that watches dubs doesn't deserve consideration?

Unfortunately that's how things work in a capitalist society. If there's profit they would do it; if there's not they wouldn't. It's just that simple.

We're talking about business, not government-backed social welfare.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Crawly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Third, why are sub fans always so quick to decide a show's fate before it even hits the damn shelves? Do ya'll have magic powers of prophecy? Do you have access to the spreadsheets of the anime companies? Do you even know how the company plans to market the series?

Sub fans aren't deciding the shows fate. The people who licensed it are. And what people have is precedent. Look back over the last 10-12 years and see what's sold and what hasn't. We do actually know what series have lost money and which ones have been huge profit makers. If it's a long shounen series, it's a win. Shoujo, on the other hand, has a 50/50 chance at best of making a decent profit regardless of a dub. Slow pace and no hit manga to back it up, you're taking a major gamble. Lots of explosions and boobs, win! Cardcaptor Sakura and Kodocha, money pits that put their licensors in the red. Eva and boyfic Gonzo with lots of blood and violence, money makers. See?

In a perfect world it would be great if all shows were released unedited and bilingual. In reality, that's just not always going to happen due to the fact that a dub does not equal instant sales nor does an unedited sub track. But guess which one is cheaper to produce?
i cast fira

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
I was hoping to watch Junou Romantica sometime! Smile

I'm also interested in checking out Spice and Wolf and Footprints in the Sand ♥

I'm very glad these shows got licensed!
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Just so You know Wagaya no Oinari-sama is among those titles under the name of Coo Our Guardian, Very excited to see Spice and Wolf , and H2O get licensed!!![/i]
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is ADV's unrevealed potential partner.

Anyway, I'm glad Junjou got licensed. Just finished watching that, and am looking forward to owning a pretty decent yaoi--good stories, fun characters, and decent art.

Don't know much about Rental Magica and Spice and Wolf, but those sound like definite rentals to me. I sort of wanted to see Rental Magica since seeing someone's cute cat sig on another forum.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:36 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Richard J. wrote:

Unfortunately that's how things work in a capitalist society. If there's profit they would do it; if there's not they wouldn't. It's just that simple.

We're talking about business, not government-backed social welfare.

First, that is a huge paper tiger. Forgive the pun, but that is not what we are talking about. No one is saying that they shouldn't make money, or that they shouldn't have the right too. And very fortunate we are not at that.

Second, what we are talking about is that after 6 anime have the good fortune of coming over to our shores, a bunch elitist nillyhammers automatically pigeonhole all six of them of not deserving a dub. Let the damn company decide if they want to dub it or not. Don't rub it in with bated breath and snobbery that there couldn't possibly be enough interest in a show from above and beyond anyone else except the "real fans" who don't want there anime "ruined" anyway. Besides the fact that it will sentence the show to instant obscurity, it's just plain rude.

Crawly:
Stereotypes are fun and all, but your also having selective thinking. It's hard to back up with out sales data, but I find it hard to imagine for years and years before everyone and there Grandma watched anime for free that scores of slow pace no hit manga shows were getting dubs and weren't making money. And now it took them 10 years to figure out they should stop. Sorry, but I don't think the businessmen are that stupid. True, the market has changed to a freeloaders market, but that doesn't mean that success stories can't and won't be made. Even if they don't fit in your neatly packed stereotypical box.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:37 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703 wrote:
I wonder if this is ADV's unrevealed potential partner.

Anyway, I'm glad Junjou got licensed. Just finished watching that, and am looking forward to owning a pretty decent yaoi--good stories, fun characters, and decent art.

Don't know much about Rental Magica and Spice and Wolf, but those sound like definite rentals to me. I sort of wanted to see Rental Magica since seeing someone's cute cat sig on another forum.

Heh, that would be interesting, though I would think that if it were, they would have waited until Otakon and let ADV announce the titles jointly with them if that were the case. Also, it was impression that they were teaming up with another Japanese company (though I guess they never actually said that)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
First, that is a huge paper tiger. Forgive the pun, but that is not what we are talking about. No one is saying that they shouldn't make money, or that they shouldn't have the right too. And very fortunate we are not at that.

Second, what we are talking about is that after 6 anime have the good fortune of coming over to our shores, a bunch elitist nillyhammers automatically pigeonhole all six of them of not deserving a dub. Let the damn company decide if they want to dub it or not. Don't rub it in with bated breath and snobbery that there couldn't possibly be enough interest in a show from above and beyond anyone else except the "real fans" who don't want there anime "ruined" anyway. Besides the fact that it will sentence the show to instant obscurity, it's just plain rude.

Crawly:
Stereotypes are fun and all, but your also having selective thinking. It's hard to back up with out sales data, but I find it hard to imagine for years and years before everyone and there Grandma watched anime for free that scores of slow pace no hit manga shows were getting dubs and weren't making money. And now it took them 10 years to figure out they should stop. Sorry, but I don't think the businessmen are that stupid. True, the market has changed to a freeloaders market, but that doesn't mean that success stories can't and won't be made. Even if they don't fit in your neatly packed stereotypical box.

We can pigeon-hole them because we've seen them, and we know what most of the fanbase and reactions to them were. And guess what? The fanbase that saw a lot them is the same fanbase who might but them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7