• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Live-Action Dragonball Poster with Son Goku Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rascalking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
I can't believe how many of you are actually looking forward to this abomination! This movie is gonna suck in soooooo many ways. I mean, the casting, the look, everything around this movie just has "sucks" written all over it!
Kenji_Ikari

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
...I don't get the fact that they're supposedly adapting the King Piccolo arc of Dragonball.

Dragonball Z is the famous one in the U.S. I don't even remember much from the latter half of Dragonball.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Arcwave

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:22 am Reply with quote
rascalking wrote:
I can't believe how many of you are actually looking forward to this abomination!

Pssht, be quiet you! I hope it really kicks ass. Now, it obviously won't be another 'Dark Knight', but I still have faith in the film. So please reserve judgment!

Evil or Very Mad
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:37 am Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
It's like they are not even trying Rolling Eyes .

They don't need to try. DBZ has such a built-in fanbase, I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier.

Why, I'd say that in the opening weekend, it will make well OVER... eh, nevermind. That wouldn't be much at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They don't need to try. DBZ has such a built-in fanbase, I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier.

And in other news, Batman: The Dark Knight has done gangbusters at the box office, which proves to Hollywood that you don't need to bastardize the source material to make a profit.
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:33 am Reply with quote
rascalking wrote:
I can't believe how many of you are actually looking forward to this abomination!

Uh.... Sorry?

Quote:
This movie is gonna suck in soooooo many ways.

Yah. Cause you can see the future. Or maybe you have some kind of time traveling car. Can I borrow it and see for myself?

Quote:
I mean, the casting, the look, everything around this movie just has "sucks" written all over it!

No, it has "corny, but fun popcorn movie" written all over it which is what most of the big flicks this year have been anyway.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:51 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I'll probably judge it by the trailer, but at least they're finally pretending the fans exist.

I've never found any post from you that was anything but pessimistic. =/

rascalking wrote:

...And? Is that it?

rascalking wrote:

This movie is gonna suck in soooooo many ways. I mean, the casting, the look, everything around this movie just has "sucks" written all over it!

There's a simple solution. Don't go see it, and don't hate on the people who are excited about it either. No one cares. xD

Kenji_Ikari wrote:
...I don't get the fact that they're supposedly adapting the King Piccolo arc of Dragonball.

Dragonball Z is the famous one in the U.S. I don't even remember much from the latter half of Dragonball.

I think even though Dragon Ball Z is the popular one of the series, I guess they didn't want to start it that way. Dragon Ball was first regardless, and DBZ is in the middle, after that, GT (though I never was interested in that one). Eventually, they'll probably will break out the Z saga, and it's expected that that will happen.

For the most part, I like the costume. It fits IMO. Japan is getting it earlier than we are, but due to such big promotion, I'm not surprised. After all, that's where DB comes from.

I told my co-workers about the movie and they're all planning to see it too. xD But I don't really know if they're hardcore fans or anything, but I think it's more of a "I saw it when I was a kid and loved it," type of thing. Some sort of nostalgia, I guess?
Karasu416

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
rascalking wrote:
I can't believe how many of you are actually looking forward to this abomination! This movie is gonna suck in soooooo many ways. I mean, the casting, the look, everything around this movie just has "sucks" written all over it!

Just goes to show how much of a fan you are.

Who gives a crap if it doesn't turn out that great. Live-Action interpretations of Anime are insanely hard to do, so of course its not necessarily gonna be too good.

I love the Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z series soooo much. I've been watching for ages. So, I don't care if it turns out bad. Hell, even if it turns out to suck I'll still gladly enjoy it. How can I not, it's freakin' DragonBall! Although I still hope it turns out averagely good for a Live-Action but if not, ehhhh, like I said Ill still enjoy it.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey, what a shock! Anime fans are still getting their soggy panties in a knot about a movie they haven't seen yet!

I hate to break it to some of you, but not every movie in the world is tailor-made to fit your specific expectations. The live-action DB movie is supposed to appeal to everybody-- including kids and teens who have never watched an episode of Dragonball. They're the target audience-- not some foaming nerd who will cry if Goku doesn't have his silly-looking hair.

They're going for marketability here, and that means targeting young kids and doting parents, not hardcore fans. Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is, nor are their numbers significant enough to matter.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Watashi wa Ryuzaki wrote:
Hate to say it, but Goku looks like he has a mohawk in that poster Shocked

I like his hair like that actually lol xD
mistress_reebi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
rascalking wrote:

Humm..... Hiring well know professional actors and the special effects team that worked on 300 sucks? Making the film realistic since it is a live-action instead of having every little fantasy detail in Dragon Ball sucks? Akira Toriyama's characters are obviously going to look different than actors because of his style. Chatwin may have a High School Musical look to him but he kinda looks like Goku. Rossum may not have blue hair but who in real life is a natural bluette?

EDIT: They even have someone nominated for an Emmy doing the musical score!
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Hey, what a shock! Anime fans are still getting their soggy panties in a knot about a movie they haven't seen yet!

I hate to break it to some of you, but not every movie in the world is tailor-made to fit your specific expectations. The live-action DB movie is supposed to appeal to everybody-- including kids and teens who have never watched an episode of Dragonball. They're the target audience-- not some foaming nerd who will cry if Goku doesn't have his silly-looking hair.

They're going for marketability here, and that means targeting young kids and doting parents, not hardcore fans. Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is, nor are their numbers significant enough to matter.

And instead of just merely adapting the property that did work the first time around via manga, anime and video games, they go into a completely different and stupid tangent. Let's ignore the fact that the Budokai games alone manage to retain the flair of the property without doing drastic artistic license violations. And since we have what, several versions of the game here in the states, there has to be non-otaku out there that have enjoyed the game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sakechan:
Quote:
The live-action DB movie is supposed to appeal to everybody-- including kids and teens who have never watched an episode of Dragonball. They're the target audience-- not some foaming nerd who will cry if Goku doesn't have his silly-looking hair.

You seem to forget that most of DB's hardcore fans are kids and teens. So if FOX tries to snag the "High School Musical' crowd at the expense of the casual comic book movie crowd, then they're going to have another Elektra on their hands-maybe even LXG.

Quote:
Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is,

Sorry, but Speed Racer would probably be a bomb on the level of Aeon Flux, if not for us.

reebi:

Quote:
Humm..... Hiring well know professional actors and the special effects team that worked on 300 sucks?

If Wikipedia is correct, it's one of the stunt companies, which isn't the same as FX. Also, no one knows most of those actors.

Quote:
Making the film realistic since it is a live-action instead of having every little fantasy detail in Dragon Ball sucks?

Well, if they can do it for a no-name like Eragon, why not DB?

Quote:
Chatwin may have a High School Musical look to him but he kinda looks like Goku.

He looks like a Goku cosplayer, not like Goku.

Quote:
Rossum may not have blue hair but who in real life is a natural bluette?

Who in real life can shoot fireballs?
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:29 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is, nor are their numbers significant enough to matter.

That statement is win on so many levels.

Hey look! I used a teenage colloquialism!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Quote:
Hardcore anime fans don't exactly have the best track record for putting their money where their mouth is,

Sorry, but Speed Racer would probably be a bomb on the level of Aeon Flux, if not for us.

Er...in the U.S., there's probably around 100,000 "hardcore" anime fans (obviously, this is a strech) and not all of them went to see Speed Racer. So that seems very unlikely. And even so, it didn't even gross its own budget, so it still bombed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6