• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore + Artbox DVD 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:46 am Reply with quote
Looks like a nice page though, only a bit ... sad ... so grey ^^;

Quote:
All of the Claymores have English names

I beg to differ xD Of course there are many names that are simply international, but a few are definitely non-english names or at least not based on the english pronunciation of a certain name. Irene being the best example, her name is pronounced the german way. And that's maybe why her name was changed in the american version of the manga as well, I always wondered about that. And the only other names concerned by "spelling discrepancies" aren't english ones either. At least I can only think of "Rubel" (actually french and the wrong spelling was introduced only by the official manga version, unfortunately - as said I would have been really happy for the anime to correct this), Renee (french pronunciation) and Uma (wrong japanese pronunciation of an indian name).

sorry, for this slight off-topic *claymore-fangirl-mode-off*

Does anybody know where the cover art of the US DVD comes from? The box cover is from the japanese limited edition, however I haven't seen the one on the DVD anywhere else (japanese regular edition looks different) - and it looks so good, I wonder if it was created especially for the US DVD?

pparker, pick up the manga, now Wink
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
pparker, pick up the manga, now Wink

I know, I know... but I'm a film buff, fanatical now on anime after getting burnt out on movies, so comics were never an item for me. Plus, the one manga series I read (because my son asked me to), Love Hina, completely ruined the anime series for me forever. I tried watching it afterwards and couldn't get past 3 episodes, it seemed so bad in comparison Crying or Very sad Anime has got to be similar to movie adaptations, in that 90% of them range from disappointment to abomination. This isn't the first time I've heard the discussion (argument?) regarding Claymore, though, and I'm curious about the manga ending, so I'll probably look that up. That's what I did with Chobits and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (vs. season 2 ending), and that worked out fine for me.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:28 am Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
completely ruined the anime series for me forever. I tried watching it afterwards and couldn't get past 3 episodes, it seemed so bad in comparison Crying or Very sad

But that can't happen with Claymore now, since you already know the anime, right. Rather than making the anime seem worse it will make the manga seem even better I think ^^ Of course you can also simply spoil yourself, but that'd be a pity considering the beautiful art of the manga and also since the manga hasn't ended yet, you will have to look up quite a lot, along with many new characters - might as well read the manga directly instead Wink But either way it is definitely worth finding out ^^
pparker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
pparker wrote:
completely ruined the anime series for me forever. I tried watching it afterwards and couldn't get past 3 episodes, it seemed so bad in comparison Crying or Very sad

But that can't happen with Claymore now, since you already know the anime, right.

Sorry, I wasn't clear... I had watched the Love Hina anime, and liked it a lot, and then I read the manga, and then tried watching the anime again. I do know that my preferring manga is not absolute. I had to buy a used Azumanga Daioh box set and got the manga with it. It didn't have the same effect; I still prefer the anime. I suspect my 90% figure is relatively right, however, considering that nearly everyone always prefers original manga over anime adaptations.

Oh, I thought Claymore had ended, because people talk about the "ending" in the manga being different. Maybe I'll pick up a volume or two and see if I get hooked.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:01 am Reply with quote
ah ok, I get it now. But in that case with Claymore you just won't be able to watch the last episodes again, since the rest is pretty much the same in both versions. And judging from your opinion about the anime end, you don't want to rewatch those episodes anyway ^^

pparker wrote:
Oh, I thought Claymore had ended, because people talk about the "ending" in the manga being different.

They mean that the part which includes the anime ending is different in the manga. The manga story is still ongoing and growing more and more complex and interesting as we speak (imho) Very Happy
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
The manga and the anime go in somewhat (but not totally) different directions at that point in the story. While its conclusion is still open-ended, the anime slants the story to have a greater sense of closure/completeness at the end of its run, which is much more vital for a TV series than an ongoing manga; honestly, I think that's the point that a lot of manga fans who complain about the anime ending are either missing or unwilling to accept. The manga, by comparison, is still carrying on its story at that point, offering a big transition but no real break point.

But again, that discussion should be saved either for the Anime forum thread or the later reviews - and I will definitely revisit it then. As for the manga spoiling you for the anime? I haven't found that to be true at all, and I saw all of the anime first. The manga artistry is fantastic, but Madhouse does a very, very good job of reproducing it, and the manga's only advantage is that it goes into a little more details in places than is practical in a TV format. Besides, the anime follows the manga very closely up until its last story arc, and even a considerable part of the last anime story arc is just a straight reproduction of the manga. (Those who are interested in the exact chapter/episode comparison can find it here.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dempA

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:04 am Reply with quote
sk1199 wrote:
There is one tiny continuity error on the first disk. In the third episode spoiler[Clair is told that her natural eye color will return when she takes her pillsand they turned brown]. In episode 5 spoiler[When they show Clair as a child her eyes are green.]
Otherwise I have to agree that this is a great series and compares very faovrably to its manga counterpart.

Not true, spoiler[He says: ...and revert the color of your eyes back to normal human colors.]

Nonetheless, this is incredibly irrelevant in the story.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
Wow, that's a pretty good review.

I also read a good review in this month's 'Otaku USA'. I'm actually interested in checking this series out. I had avoided it due to first glance because I was afraid it would be too bogged down with CGi. Not to mention the style sort of put me off. But I'm starting to come around because I'm hearing some good stuff about it. Which is funny the manga reviews were so-so, but later picked up.

Some friends I know have checked it out and they like it. Plus, I really enjoy shows about strong female protagonists.

Now the question is do others think this series is the "female Berserk"?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3