• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Confirms Shikabane Hime: AKA Acquisition

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:
Unless something has changed, YouTube doesn't IP-block its free streams from international viewers, so everyone should be able to taste-test this anime legally.
Sad to say, but it has changed. UK wise, I can see the Funimation uploads without too much issue but the other things like the old Knight Rider episodes are a No Go.

But IP Based Region Bock Clock is the cardenel sin of internet media provision.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
testorschoice wrote:
Unless something has changed, YouTube doesn't IP-block its free streams from international viewers, so everyone should be able to taste-test this anime legally.
Sad to say, but it has changed. UK wise, I can see the Funimation uploads without too much issue but the other things like the old Knight Rider episodes are a No Go.

May you double-check the source of those old Knight Rider episodes? They're not officially available on YouTube for any country.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

This makes me ask: Why has the anime industry been so goddamn slow to respond to fansubs and rips? They should NOT just put up with rips and fansubs; they must make them moot. Why haven't the Japanese and American sides of the industry done anything of this sort sooner like they should have?

Hey I feel ya, I can only assume (since I'm not involved in the industry) that its a sort of big legality issue along with companies/studios being hesitant to take risks on changing their methods which have been (at one time anyways Rolling Eyes ) successful. Personally, if a company started selling Xvid subs ASAP after the initial airing, then that company would become my best friend. I personally can't stand watching anime on my computer screen, but Xvid .avi's can be played through my Xbox 360 on my 30 in HD TV, and I would definitely pay money for that! Wink

Also, unless something comes up like a streaming site that is paid for entirely by advertisements to where shows can be free to the viewers comes up, then I don't ever see fansubs becoming moot since the number one reason pirates pirate is that they don't want to pay for anything.

And no, I am not talking about people who download and then buy the DVDs once they come out, so don't bore me with that...
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:14 am Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
It's not like I'm expecting it, as it's both technically and politically more difficult, but how does a little whining in any way lead to your conclusion?
Well, the whining was the biggest clue for us. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:15 am Reply with quote
If funimation can pump out a dvd in the next month or so I won't mind the fast acquisition. Funi is expanding is domain which imo isn't a bad thing. Means I can get the DVD's faster. Though I will kinda miss the fansubs(which will never die thankfully) they've done so much for the industry, but so has Funi(yeah I know adv was the first major one).
houkoholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:57 am Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

Not true, both Funimation and Gonzo's free streams are IP-blocked for the Japan region at the very least. So I would expect Funi would block their channels to non-R1 regions.

Though with Funi and Manga just recently signed a deal for distribution, maybe - MAYBE - UK residence might have a chance.
mulrich

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
mulrich wrote:
Son-of-a-bitch. This means the fansub group I was following for this will drop it. Goddammit! I've seen two episodes of this and I've no idea if it will be epic or just bland. I won't buy it just because it's Gainax, but I checked it out just because it's Gainax.

That's FUNi for ya--leading the way to replace illegal fansubs and DVD rips.

This makes me ask: Why has the anime industry been so goddamn slow to respond to fansubs and rips? They should NOT just put up with rips and fansubs; they must make them moot. Why haven't the Japanese and American sides of the industry done anything of this sort sooner like they should have?

Well, I agree. If the industry can make fansubs pointless, then I wouldn't mind. But, in this particular case, they still won't be pointless. Why? YouTube quality is not quality. It's crap. The fansubs are simply far better.

And like so many other people, I do not want to pay for something I can only watch for a limited time.

I base what I buy on fansubs. If the show I watch is really good, I buy it - given it's licensed, of course. If it's not licensed, I hope it gets licensed.

When the industry can provide free, subbed-only, high-quality episodes of anime worldwide within days of the air date in Japan, it will be an option for me. Until then, I'll go with fansubs.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:31 am Reply with quote
I think this is a good move. I don't think Shikabane is good enough to buy, but i'll stop downloading fansubs and support the show on Hulu if its gonna be up there.

Its a shame some people are willing to illegally stream it in bad quality for free rather than legally stream it in high quality for free. Do you really hate anime so much that you'd rather get poor quality illegally than possibly support it in any way, even if it doesn't cost you anything but watching a 15 second ad?

"Also, unless something comes up like a streaming site that is paid for entirely by advertisements to where shows can be free to the viewers comes up, then I don't ever see fansubs becoming moot since the number one reason pirates pirate is that they don't want to pay for anything. "

You must have missed the part about the show being on Hulu. I totally agree on the second part though. Some people watch fansubs because the shows aren't out here and others watch just because they aren't ever going to pay for something that they can get for free or they just hate the idea of supporting a company, even if its a company that makes products that they like and enjoy.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 am Reply with quote
I'm sure a lot of people watch fansubs (we'll just focus on new shows here) because there is no other way to see it, and I don't care what you saw about streaming, a fansub's quality will always be better in terms of picture and encoding. Forgetting the whole HD anime thing as well, h.264 alone provides an amazing picture for a tiny amount of space, compared to divx and especially compared to streaming. So if I'm aiming for the best picture, it's fansubs. Hell, unless you're using a PS3, most of my DVDs still show terrible signs of interlacing in normal DVD players.
edzieba

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:11 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Its a shame some people are willing to illegally stream it in bad quality for free rather than legally stream it in high quality for free. Do you really hate anime so much that you'd rather get poor quality illegally than possibly support it in any way, even if it doesn't cost you anything but watching a 15 second ad?
For anyone outside of the US, the choice boils down to:
- illegally stream in terrible quality from official sources (with nearly a month delay, and lots of hassle with proxies and VPN tunnels just getting the stream to work)
- illegally download in excellent quality from unofficial sources (and with RSS, essentially no work required beyond the first episode)

I think it's pretty obvious what the superior choice is here.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
I haven't tried those other 2 stream sites but when I "full screen" with youtube, widescreen videos do not take up the entire screen on my 32" LCD TV. Since the flash player frame is a 4:3 box, that is what it maximizes to and the video is stuck playing in that box.

Shikabane Hime is widescreen, wasted screen real estate by restriction of website/flash/stream/stream player is not cool.

If I end up enjoying this series when it does finish, it will warrant a purchase when it is released out on DVD.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:21 am Reply with quote
houkoholic wrote:

Not true, both Funimation and Gonzo's free streams are IP-blocked for the Japan region at the very least.

Of course, Japanese licensors want to keep on with their protectionism to the point of absurdity.
And I don't see any reason to be excited. GAINAX show, and from what I've seen it's pretty bad too, much like most of their shows (yes, even Gurren Lagann).
houkoholic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:35 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
A fansub's quality will always be better in terms of picture and encoding. Forgetting the whole HD anime thing as well, h.264 alone provides an amazing picture for a tiny amount of space, compared to divx and especially compared to streaming.

Common misconception about "fansubs being better" when in fact the limit is not in the technology but rather the companies not willing to provide a better experience for whatever reasons.

Flash player (ie the defacto platform for streaming right now) had support for the same h.264 encoding that you praised fansubs for since ver 9 which was released since sometime late last year. In fact sites like Hulu, BBC's iplayer supports and uses this and does provide shows in high quality h.264 encoded HD streams. It's just the anime companies haven't caught on, the inherit technology of streaming itself is not flawed or inferior.

Quote:

So if I'm aiming for the best picture, it's fansubs. Hell, unless you're using a PS3, most of my DVDs still show terrible signs of interlacing in normal DVD players.

That just means that your equipment has a poor de-interlacer or that you haven't setup your AV equipment properly. Interlacing is not a picture flaw as the way you are wording it as, and should be reversable to give a good picture, as afterall interlacing is a sort of video compression standard that we've been using for many years. Most decent upscaling DVD players that can be had for little over $100 can do it. So don't throw it around like a dirty word if you don't know what it really means.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:20 am Reply with quote
Vulcannis wrote:
It's not like I'm expecting it, as it's both technically and politically more difficult, but how does a little whining in any way lead to your conclusion?
My conclusion wasn't even fully serious, it was a caricature of fans who constantly adjust what they want so that the legal option is always not what they want. I was trying to illustrate that some will never be satisfied regardless of what the companies do as well as showing that I have less-than-warm-fuzzy feelings for such people. I felt that some of the comments in this thread were coming from that mentality.

Frankly, I find the whole issue of fansubs vs. legal streams to be incredibly pointless and silly. Both are free to the viewer but only one actually gets any money into the hands of the people who make anime possible. The quality differences are, at least to me, quite minor. (I do completely agree with the issue of region locking however. The Internet should be free-access and the issue of region locking seems like a bad hold over from the past anyway, an anachronism in need of erasing.)

Regardless, I don't see anime as some sort of divine right the way so many do. If you don't want to pay for it and you only want to watch it once anyway, why care about how it's shown at all? Why not just skip the show entirely? If it comes out on DVD, borrow someone else's and check it own on better quality. Or wait for a better digital download to own product. Or forget the show even exists.

I read these comments from people who basically say "I'll only watch it once and maybe not even finish it" yet they are demanding so much in terms of specifics. They want a product tailor-made to their specifications, for free, that they might not even watch more than once. The way I see it, that's unreasonable to say the least.
Mevious

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
Wow, I thought this was a great move, but now people are complaining about getting it in HD (people outside the US may have a genuine complaint, but I don't know if FUNi's DRM works outside the US.) Even if the series was released in HD (via Blu-ray), many people still wouldn't buy, quoting the high price as the reason... Oh well. Can't please everyone - for some, whatever you do is never enough. It's a legitimate concern as a consumer, but honestly, even if they met your demand, would you still shell out the money to buy it if you could just download the fansub (this isn't directed to the guy who already said he would)?

Now, I can't be too critical. I love HD as well and nowadays I'll only download series if they're in some form of HD. However, I've seen some of those old fansub VHS tapes, and I used to watch Love Hina episodes that were a whole 30-50MB (56k). Even low-grade SD today looks great.

Personally, I don't like buying via digital distribution, especially when DRM is involved, but I'll at least purchase the first two episodes, to support this action. I'm really interested in seeing FUNi and maybe more companies making a move like this. A 20 oz. soda nowadays is close to $1.50; I'm sure most people can spare the $2 for one episode. For the HD lovers who also want to support FUNi, download the HD versions you like and buy an episode.

I'd be delightfully shocked if they managed to dub it that quickly, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5