• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Winter is Coming

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Are you asking me or are you asking Bamboo?

If you're asking me, then my guess would be by the end of the week, since Natsume Yuujinchou Shi and Aquarion Evol are already out and many other shows are coming out over the next five days.

http://countdown.mandragon.info/

On another note, I'm still waiting on the Best and Worst of 2011 feature. Sometimes that takes till the eighth before we see it. Probably is being written as we speak.

As for Chihayafuru, while the license may be cheaper with lower sales, I do wonder if any company is going to be willing to take punt on something that barely sold well. Especially for a Josei show about a card game centred around Japanese poems.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:

Also, and I know you may not know yet because it's just starting up and this is the huge burdensome project that ANN does every season (though bless you for it!) but is there a set start-date on the preview guide yet? I'm assuming "in a day or two" is the best answer you can give right now, right?

Thursday morning with the first new premiere, Recorder and Randsell.

We tend not to launch with sequels, and try to launch on the first "busy" day (meaning the first day that a bunch of new shows come out).

So Thursday! Look forward to it.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
So Thursday! Look forward to it.

I will! And thanks for the prompt reply. Smile
vashthekaizoku

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
I actually watched all these shows faithfully except Future Diary, which I dropped mid-episode 2. I get squeamish easily, which is why I dropped Deadman Wonderland last year, so that was it for me. I'm glad that everything in this list made it so far! In fact, other than the long running WSJ series like Toriko and One Piece, and the aforementioned Wagnaria and Squid Girl, as well as Shakugan no Shana, this week's column directly corresponded to my weekly viewing list for this season! Good picks!
gingi789

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:02 am Reply with quote
I liked Un-Go. Though it wasn't stellar, it had some pretty cool moments.

One of the shows that I thought had no right to be as entertaining as it was was Ben-To. The concept is over the top, but it makes it up by not taking itself too seriously and having pretty well done fight scenes. I do hope they make a second season, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Loved Fate/Zero, even though the first episode was slow. I can't wait to see what happens to Rider.

Haven't seen Chihayafuru-but will definately have to give it a try.

Oh, and Inga. Definately Inga. Wink
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What's sad is that Chihayafuru has bombed in Japan. The sales aren't just weak, they're practically non-existent.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: there is no justice in this world.

I fell in love with the series with the first episode, and it's only improved from there. I was hoping that it would do well, but I wasn't expecting Madoka/Haruhi/etc. sales numbers.

I received the first Chihayafuru Blu-ray last month (and I'll be placing an order for #2 in a week or two). I don't think that I'm the only one who did so. Anyone else here contribute to the low sales numbers of the first disc??
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:58 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What's sad is that Chihayafuru has bombed in Japan. The sales aren't just weak, they're practically non-existent.

It need no just ice; just moe more and it sell. Twisted Evil
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:10 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
I fell in love with the series with the first episode, and it's only improved from there. I was hoping that it would do well, but I wasn't expecting Madoka/Haruhi/etc. sales numbers.

No-one in their right mind was expecting those kinds of sales volumes. But it would have been nice if Chihayafuru made enough to break even. At the moment it has sold less than eighteen hundred units for volume one, which is nowhere near enough.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
The other fall show I'm still with is Kimi to Boku. It's kinda sad that many dismissed this. True enough, the first episode is slow, and kinda pointless. But as the show continues, its growing wit that's very hard to find in any form of entertainment. I like it, and am happy to hear it will have a second season.

Yay!! That's wonderful news. I love this series, and was sorry it got booted off the list so fast. Episode 8 was one of the funniest things I've watched in ages. These are characters it would be fun to know in real life, so I'm looking forward to spending more time with them on the screen.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Any Megami Tensei fans care to chime in on Persona 4? I think they're using the game's elemental magic mechanics, but is that making the battles too hard to follow? Are the pyrotechnics and Shoji Meguro music not enough to sell them? There are also pacing issues, but my overall impression is that they have a plan and they're executing it well enough for this to end up really good.

As someone who has played the game I think that they are doing an fairly good job adapting it so far. I agree there are some pacing issues but considering the story and large cast of characters that they have to fit into 25 episodes, it's not as bad as it could be. I don't want to give anything away, but if they keep doing a good job adapting the story the second season will defiantly be worth watching.

Although I like the anime I have to say the game is much better, so if you like the anime you should play the game (its one of the best RPGs for a reason).
scineram

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

It need no just ice; just moe more and it sell. Twisted Evil

Like Nichijou? Tamayura?
sainta

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter is pretty good, but it's basically the same from the first anime.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Ingraman wrote:

No-one in their right mind was expecting those kinds of sales volumes. But it would have been nice if Chihayafuru made enough to break even. At the moment it has sold less than eighteen hundred units for volume one, which is nowhere near enough.

Well. the cut-off for BD top 50 that week was 2k and the DVD cut-off for the same week was 1280. So if both DVD and BD just barely missed the cut-off, it could easily have 2500 combined copies sold, and that's what I think it did around (and predicted).

That said, the execs are mainly looking for the anime to increase the sales of the manga. This isn't an otaku show or even a fujoshi show that can depend on that crowd to buy the BD/DVDs, but is more a show for the general audience. And for that kind of show, as long as the anime increases the sales of the manga by some factor, that's all that matters. The DVD/BD sales would just be a little extra on top.
Rednal

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:11 am Reply with quote
Guilty Crown could be better, I think, but I'm curious as to what kind of ending noitaminA will manage given two seasons to work with, rather than one. I think it might be worth finishing to have as a benchmark to compare their other shows to (if nothing else).

Future Diary, well... y'know, yandere. I enjoyed the manga a lot, so I'm looking forward to Yuno going completely bonkers. Anime hyper
Volibear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Guilty Crown is just pure awesome. The season finale really amped things up and ended on a cliff hanger that makes the wait for episode 12 painful.

It's not all just dazzle but there's a lot of substance there too. From the character relations to the mystery of what the virus is, how it ties into Shu's past, and what exactly the bad guys have in mind for it.

It's been a great show for the first half and I can only imagine the second half becoming even better. Definitely one of the best of the season.

OK, now even as one of the people who defended this series early on when people moaned about it i'm willing to say that this is simply not true.
it is all dazzle, which is the only reason i'm still watching it. yes there is a story but its poorly executed and the episodic-esque format that GC has followed is probably the worst thing about it. occasionally it does 2 episodes to a particular plotline but mostly it just goes through a plotline in 1 episode and adds a cliffhanger to the next one at the end of it to keep people interested.
and then there is the characters. Shu i was hoping and praying would improve as the series progressed but sadly now i just can't stand him. the sorry excuse of a romance plot with Inori as well is just grating whenever it comes up in an episode.

all in all, i wish they'd just made GC more grown up instead of going for the younger audiences for the sake of sales and ratings, give the series a more mature approach to things and better story plotting and this would probably be one of my favourite ever series, sadly now though it'll probably be another one and done, forget watching it again, let alone buying it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5