• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Horror TV Anime 'Another'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Companies certainly are nabbing series for license faster nowadays.
CKSqua

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:

The studio might be totally uninvolved, but Sentai might be willing to go after all series from a particular studio. Seems to me like they're doing just that with Shaft series, since they do have quite a few of their most recent titles.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure whether they're deliberately going after recent SHAFT shows, or whether it's simply a matter of circumstance.

Regarding series that have already aired, Sentai primarily targets niche shows that failed to hit it big in Japan (but are more respectable than the absolute bottom of the barrel). You'll find quite a bit of SHAFT and J.C.STAFF in their library because those studios have produced a sizable amount of that stuff lately. You'll also find numerous visual novel adaptations.

Only Hidamari Sketch qualifies as a particularly successful SHAFT show. Maria Holic and And Yet the Town Moves were notable disappointments for the company, whereas ef is a game adaptation (mildly successful, perhaps comparable to Koihime Musou).
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Man, Sentai is licensing a crapload of stuff. This will be a great series fir them, I just hope they don't overload themselves.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
EmperorBrandon wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
Now Sentai, there's just another P.A. Works title by the name of Hanasaku Iroha to license, if you'd be so kind... Smile

I'm not getting my hopes up (I believe the animation studio typically has nothing to do with overseas licensing), but it would be so awesome if Sentai did license Hanasaku Iroha.

Oh, I know the studio has little to no say in overseas licensing, but Sentai does have 3 of the 5 P.A. Works titles (Canaan, Angel Beats, Another) so I'd be fine with seeing them grab the last remaining one out there.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The rhyme and reasoning behind these licenses leaves me scratching my head. Not that I'm complaining, but this get licensed before Hanasaku Iroha?

I'll have to stream this one first. The last thing I want is a poorly told "Ring" meets "Silent Hill".
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
'nother thumbs up for SentayRoll (Sentai + Crunchyroll).

Now where is FuniCo this season Confused Question
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:40 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
"Hey, I just bought Another."

"Another what?"

"Another DVD."

"What's the DVD?"

"It's Another."

"What's another?"

"Another DVD. I also got Another Blu-Ray."

continue as you wish...

Hehehe…I guess someone had to do it eventually. Very Happy

As for Hanasaku Iroha, I imagine the license must be a hefty one, given its success (and maybe because it is P.A. Works' anniversary project, though I doubt it).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:
As excited as I am for this (like, really really excited for this), I sure hope Sentai doesn't strain itself. They've licensed quite a lot already. I also hope they put some care into their upcoming releases rather than rush them. I do wonder what magic spell they're using on the Japanese license holders though, because the turn-around time on this is insane (assuming that their estimated release time-frame will be accurate).

It's called Crunchyroll.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:08 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I need something to scare the pants off me more than 'Ghost Hunt' (which I finished in 2 days). I wonder if this was streaming at one point in time on 'Crunchyroll'. I've been out of it for so long.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
If by one point in time you mean right now, then yes Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3