• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Princess Jellyfish Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
By the end of the show, the pervasive air of loneliness that it began with has abated there is the promise of more yet to come for the characters, even if we are not there to see it.

Run-on sentence here. Put "and" in between there and is.

Grammar correction aside, everyone has been talking about this show like crazy. It definitely seems like a worthy purchase.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Finished watching the show! After hearing so much about it, even as a female, I was a little apprehensive that I wouldn't connect, since I'm not shy / socially awkard / afraid of fashion / etc. However, I felt that, overall, the series truly is about the broader topic of the perception of women. The portrayal of how women use looks / fashion as "battle gear" felt very true to me.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I felt that, overall, the series truly is about the broader topic of the perception of women. The portrayal of how women use looks / fashion as "battle gear" felt very true to me.

This was almost the angle I took in my review, actually, until I decided that it would make the show seem inaccessible to men, which I don't feel that it is. From this perspective it reminded me of The Story of Saiunkoku, when spoiler[Shurei is given the make-up kit by the brothel owner.] Shu's attitude towards Tsukimi seemed to play into this interpretation, as did Inari's whole character, and I had my Betty Friedan "Woman: The Fourth Dimension" all set to quote from before I changed my mind. Very Happy When Tsukimi said spoiler["Does that mean that [girls] will stay grubby forever if they never fall in love?"], it seemed to me to sum up a serious issue with a Cinderella-based perception of love and beauty and how those become equated with self-worth.
The Grey Ghost

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Princess Jellyfish is a show for anyone who was ever poisoned by a fairy tale.

My favorite line from this review! It's true how fantasy can skew our expectations of reality.
waterlillies2877

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
just got my copy today and must almost completely agree with this review.

1. Josh Grelle is fantastic. I thought Kuranosuke couldn't be dubbed and he proved me wrong.
2. Extras are AMAZING. they even dubbed all the shorts.
3. And I disagree, Mayaya is considerably less annoying in English. She has some funny moments in the dub and I NEVER thought she was funny in Japanese. I didn't have a lot of faith in monica rial since I HATED her Renge so much, but her Mayaya is much better.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Having just finished, I have to agree with the review. The only thing that I would add is it seems that the English dub actors had a really good time with this -- even more so than they usually do. It comes out in the performances.

I hope we get another season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3