• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Zero Tops Haruhi as #1 TV Anime BD Box in 1st-Week Sales

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:33 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
superdry wrote:

How is it a miracle? Sacrifice and saving up - one can afford it.

If you're a single person with an okay job and no commitmentst...there is a good chance you'll have the money left over after bills to afford your hobby. Whether one will save is a different matter.

As ShanaFan pointed out...there is also the chance an otaku is still living at home...so that's even less expenses to deal with on a monthly basis.

It's just a personal opinion, I don't see how spending $33 per episode for a 12 episode series is worth that price.

On a business side, I would personally like to believe that there are enough people like me over in japan that don't have that much of a disposable income with: car, house, insurance, grocery & living expenses (not to mention if you have kids) that they can up and spend that much money on a series every time one comes out.

I guess just wishful thinking.

Its how the industry survives. If these people weren't paying these prices, anime wouldn't be made... the market for anime is too small to sustain itself with normal prices.

Like was proven today with Moretsu Pirates, it had a release that was half price, yet still only sold 3500... they would have made significantly more money if they sold it at normal price, since I doubt many of those people only bought it because of the lower price.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Haruhi's MSRP was the exact same as Fate/Zero's, 39,900 yen back when it was still on-sale (It's long since sold out.).
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003UTS85C
You can only get it from sellers now.
Wow, I had no idea it was that expensive! O_o Knowing this, the numbers for Fate/Zero are much more meaningful, thanks!

A lot of anime series are like this. Given the example I did above, it's a miracle that the japanese can still live off of this business model. I'm hoping that as soon as all of the normal otaku that buy these more than $400 sets go into retirement, they'll realize that they can't afford these rates and the system will change. However we'll never know when/if this will happen

If the normal otaku that buy this series go into retirement, like you say, the anime industry will probably collapse. The recent ANN articles on the anime economy show that the industry needs to evolve. But unless anime makers find a better business model to make money, we need Japanese otaku to stick around if we want anime to keep existing.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Its how the industry survives. If these people weren't paying these prices, anime wouldn't be made... the market for anime is too small to sustain itself with normal prices.
Exactly, and Justin pointed this out in part 2 of The Anime Economy.
animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07

(Now he didn't say this, but this is my thinking.)
To make anime cheaper (Where lower prices could generate more of a profit, and it could sustain itself off of lower prices.), you must make it way more popular (Like mainstream as anime in general is a niche product.), and make production costs several times cheaper. Now as for how, who knows.

Many don't want to get into anime due to how otaku and even maybe casual anime watches are viewed in Japan. Lots of Japanese people don't have any interest in anime in general (Stuff that isn't Ghibli, NGE, Gundam, Shonen Jump, etc.) to begin with. They won't buy what they have no interest in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Otaku don't buy every show they want. They choose the ones that they must own at all costs. That means making decisions. Though for otaku who really do want every show badly, they can import some US copies for those other shows if they're desperate.

If that is the case, I'm a bit confused as to how all of the moe/ fan services shows get all the sales they do, since there seems to be a hell of a lot of them. Are there just that make otaku in japan?

I've also read that article, but I'm not very good at portraying what I'm meaning. I was trying to say that after these Otaku go into retirement there will need to be a new business model for anime. Which could mean a reduction in price, streaming etc.

I'm wondering how they would do if they had a simultaneous release both in america and Japan at the same price point, whether it be a bit higher than normal for american's or lower in price than normal for japanese. Lowering the price can entice more people, and like you said I also think sales are dependent on customer base. But I've always thought that there were more anime fans in japan than most american's give credit for; but I've also always believed that like me some if not a lot of anime fans in japan don't have that much cash to spend on good titles. I know that there are niches that provide most of the funds for some moe, loli, and other types of anime; but the more broad titles like Naruto, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, and others would have (I hope) enough popularity for a price drop, with more fans actually buying the product instead of pirating.

Last edited by shukero on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
they can EASILY make a profit on much lower numbers...like EVERY OTHER COMPANY does. No one but Aniplex charges anywhere NEAR that much for 12 episodes. You have to remember they're cutting off thousands of potential (and probable..like myself) buyers by making it so freakin expensive. It's a great show, I would've easily agreed to the standard Bluray price of 40-60 dollars for 12 episodes..but 300-400 is just insane. No show is worth that for 5 hours of entertainment

You're not their target audience.

People really need to learn Americans have no say in this, nor should they have a say in this. Telling other countries how to do their job when it's worked for them for decades is a really pretentious.

It's be like if Kazuki Nakamura in Japan ranted how America should make OVAs and movies and expensive quality figures based on Fairly Odd Parents. You think any company in America's going to listen? No, I'm pretty sure Nickelodeon knows what it's doing, just like these guys clearly know since they just made over 20 million USD.
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Otaku don't buy every show they want. They choose the ones that they must own at all costs. That means making decisions. Though for otaku who really do want every show badly, they can import some US copies for those other shows if they're desperate.

If that is the case, I'm a bit confused as to how all of the moe/ fan services shows get all the sales they do, since there seems to be a hell of a lot of them. Are there just that make otaku in japan?

But, they don't. Some of those shows might only average like 2-3K in sales which is not that great, really.
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:

They generally don't. They are a few that have broad enough appeal to sell well (K-On!/Clannad/Haruhi, etc). But a lot of them, based on public numbers, don't have fantastic BD/DVD sales. Which is not to say that they don't have their use for marketing other aspects of the franchise (figures, novels, games, etc).
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

Normal prices are the prices that are sustainable in any given market. What's normal in America isn't normal in Japan.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Let's put it in perspective. If they were going to make that much on the price people suggusting (US pricing), they would have to have sold 681,332 copies to make 20 million. My Neighbor Totoro has sold a bit over 1,000,000. You're basically asking a late night niche show to sell roughly 68% as an icon family film like Totoro. Can we see the problem with this yet? Keep in mind Totoro recently reached that number, and the DVD came out over 10 years ago. So forget expecting that in the first week.

Last edited by TitanXL on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Mune

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, if you think about it, an income of $30,000 a year working 40 hours a week is getting paid at least $14 an hour. So, essentially, these fans would be making about $24/hour if their income was $50,000/yr.

Last time I checked my area, these jobs are reserved for those that have careers based on a salary pay, meaning you have to go to college, get a degree, and be incredibly lucky. Jobs usually pay between minimum $7.25-$10/hr ($15,000-$20,000/yr).

Don't get me wrong, it is totally possible for a fan to buy this series at this price without much effort. Plus, they could buy one a month if they wanted, just not more than that at the price given. Whereas, otherwise at other anime companies prices, they could buy at least 6-10 series for the same price, if not more.
relentlessflame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
You could also say that Haruhi's numbers are 'meaningless' considering that it's the first time the first season had been available on BD and it had a 40,000 yen price for 28 (I think? 14 in each right?) episodes. Fate/Zero meanwhile had the exact same price but only 12/13 episodes.

Now if your complaints had been about the Bakemonogatari BD set, that had already been released on BD, then it'd definitely have some weight.

I'm afraid I can't quite follow your argument. It was the first time that any of Haruhi had been released on Blu-Ray, but the show had also already been released in Limited Edition DVD earlier. So they sold 30,000 BD-Boxes, but they also sold almost 500,000 DVDs for the same show previously. With Fate/Zero, assuming the second half sells about the same amount as this one, it'll be around 100,000 BD-Boxes in total, with no DVDs or BD singles. So if you're going to compare the two shows, it shouldn't just be about BD-Box sales, but about home media revenue or some other equivalent metric.

So again, I wasn't saying that the comparison wasn't truthful, it's just that it tells an incomplete story, so what can be inferred from the comparison is limited. We see that the show sold more BD-Boxes, but there were no other choices available.

(Well, it's neither here nor there, because this thread has apparently turned into another "I can't understand how Japanese fans abide by these prices" thread. Because we clearly haven't seen enough of those recently. ^^; )

Last edited by relentlessflame on Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Let's put it in perspective. If they were going to make that much on the price people suggusting (US pricing), they would have to have sold 681,332 copies to make 20 million. My Neighbor Totoro has sold a bit over 1,000,000. You're basically asking a late night niche show to sell over half as much as a kid classic Totoro. Can we see the problem with this yet?
Yeah, no anime that isn't DBZ, Pokemon, or Ghibli would sell that well.

The only anime that has sold 100,000+ recently was Rebuild of Evangelion.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-18/evangelion/2.22-bd-ranks-no.10-in-1st-week-in-u.s
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Draneor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Normal prices are the prices that are sustainable in any given market. What's normal in America isn't normal in Japan.

That's true. However, it's also an experiment to see if that model can work. People value items at different amounts. Noka chocolate, for examples, goes for ~$300 to ~$2,000 a pound. Most people obviously won't pay that much for chocolate, but enough do. Perhaps there are enough anime fans willing to pay Japanese prices for a domestically sold import like Fate/zero. Or perhaps not. Either way, Aniplex found out.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Well deserved tbh, I'm going to marathon this when season 2 finishes airing
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:20 pm Reply with quote
What can I say, people like to spend money. Razz

Not that I'm dismissing that, but much of this is the product of the current business model of financing anime and taking advantage of your audience's voracity and threshold of spending for something they like. While I don't think the set is worth the asking price due to the relatively small amount of bells-and-whistles, F/Z's first season did not look cheap to make, so I imagine they could use all of the money they can get, especially when they still have Part Two to work on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10