• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria the Virgin Witch (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

How can that be backtracking when I wrote that in my initial refutation of your argument? Confused

Look there IS a difference between virginity and celibacy. Celibacy =/= purity. Virginity = purity. The Church does not demand celibacy of its priests because they believe it holds power for men, or because male virginity has any intrinsic value at all, but because it demonstrates devotion to and focus on God. And priests aren't supposed to be looking for power or status, they're supposed to be humble and depend on God's power. So the idea that they think virginity in men bestows power and that's something to strive for makes no sense, and isn't supported by anything I've seen the Church do or say, ever.

I was also looking at how both the Church and the society of this setting view women and power, because the series is examining both (and this is why I disagree with your take on the purpose of Michael's ultimatum in regards to the narrative). This isn't just about the Church. Now if you come back saying that the 15th century French valued male virginity in the same way they did female virginity, then there really is nothing more I can say.

You are backtracking because you equated celibacy with purity, and now you are trying to retract that. You equated them in the first place because it makes sense. Virginity and celibacy (mind you, these are not mutually exclusive concepts) deal with the same issue - abstention from sex. Whatever power, discipline, "purity," or magical happy otaku essence that one might gain from that is the same thing in the eyes of the Church. I've never seen any obsession by the Church about demanding virginity. That's just not an issue for them in the abstract. The only thing that the Church demands is celibacy for unmarried men and women and celibacy for men and women in the priest/nunhood. THATS ALL FOLKS.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This is an anime thread. We aren't talking about the manga. If anything, you are just arguing that the manga handles the issue better than the show by not introducing the over-the-top villain of Galfa. The fact remains that the anime really only uses the Michael's restriction to set up the rape and the primary conflict between Joseph and Galfa over Maria's sexual purity.

That's why I've only brought up the manga as indirect evidence, not as my main argument. Which, unfortunately, seems to have been either ignored or downplayed in your response to my post.

Frankly, it would also be quite questionable to preemptively assume the manga is necessarily handling things better or worse. Even I wasn't arguing this. My point was that the rest of the story, which both versions absolutely do continue to have in common, cannot simply be reduced to meaningless build up to the failed sexual assault at all.

Therefore, I will completely disagree with the claim that the primary conflict of this story is "Joseph versus Galfa over Maria's sexual purity." You could argue that was the conflict of the latest episode, very roughly speaking, but the main conflict of the show is Maria vs. the Church of Heaven plus Maria vs. the Church of Earth (and the political/military world that goes along with it). The attempted rape is merely a single expression, as ugly as it is, of the second part of this conflict. Not remotely the main focus of the story seen in the anime so far.

Just as you have repeatedly said that fans of the show may fail to see its flaws, I think the exact opposite can also be said about some of those who are overly critical, perhaps to the point of missing the forest for the trees. Based on the larger context of the story, I think the scenes you consider to be superficial are in fact relevant to setting up this world and those who live in it.

Purely personally speaking, I don't find Galfa to be much of an "over-the-top" villain. He's not Frieza from Dragon Ball Z or Kefka from Final Fantasy VI who are mad with power and murder out of pleasure, so I wouldn't really use that label to describe him.

I have no real interest in Akame ga Kill but I don't mind recognizing that maybe you're right in the sense those villains have a more explicit conflict. I can accept that as a positive, if it works for the purposes of that story. However, I don't think all villains need to have that though.

We're clearly not going to agree about Maria as a character right now, and probably not ever, so I will leave that point alone until after the show is over.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I'll be watching the final episode with great interest to see if, at the end of the day, I can track Maria's development. What I perceive is that the show has been demonstrating that while her impulses (to stop battles and help heal people) are good, her methods and attitudes about advancing her agenda are flawed.

For example, the show seems to be saying, "it's all well and good to pull a dragon out of a cauldron and stop a given battle on a given day, but if you don't address the underlying nature of why wars break out, ultimately all you are doing is slapping a band-aid on a gushing wound." Not only that, but there seems to be the suggestion that her methods have actually prolonged the war in her neighborhood. The French forces were on the verge (seemingly) of driving the English from France and Maria's intervention breathed new life into the English effort, thus ensuring the fighting would carry on.

There also seems to be an implicit criticism of her refusal to take any steps to protect herself when it was obvious that dangerous forces were arraying themselves against her. I chuckled when Edwina admonished her for making it "too easy" to be caught and brought to the stake. As Edwina pointed out, the witches main source of protection against persecution is the fear they engender and Maria definitely let down the team.

I have not yet seen any evidence that Maria is aware of these things other than the scene when she was in captivity and questioning her motives for why she does what she does.

I'm not sure what to make of her relationship with Joseph. It is not clear to me what relevance it has in her development, but I suppose that might become clear in the finale.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:

How can that be backtracking when I wrote that in my initial refutation of your argument? Confused

You are backtracking because you equated celibacy with purity, and now you are trying to retract that. You equated them in the first place because it makes sense.

I can't "backtrack" in my initial argument, that's just not possible. Confused But please do quote where I equated them. You can't, because I never did. I think I mentioned chastity once, which I was thinking of as virginity, though I guess that word isn't limited to virgins. But every time I used the word purity or pure, it was a synonym for virginity, and I couldn't have been clearer about it. In the quote you highlighted, I was saying no one expected him to be a virgin. It may be the Church's ideal, but as I said before, the Church turned a blind eye to that sort of behavior in men as a practical matter (just look at the difference in how Galfa was treated vs the woman he slept with. She was "ruined," he was not, though they both committed the sin of fornication). The same is not true for women of that era.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This is simple. I was right. Priests are required to be celibate for a reason. The Church believes that there is some kind of "purity" power in that. You can call it whatever kind of power you want to. They value it. They demand it. They proclaim that priests are "married to the Church," or God, or something. It is and has been doctrine throughout the Church for hundreds of years. To claim that the Church only values this abstention from sex for females is to make a totally false claim, plain and simple.

Fascinating world that you live in there, where you can get that interpretation.

The one criticism on this series - which Blood- has alluded to - that I will give fair due is that Maria really hasn't grown significantly as a character. She's still righteous to the point of arrogance, and shows little sign that this will change in the final episode, and this has bugged me a little. Frankly, it's a little surprising that the other witches have tolerated her as well as they do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:58 am Reply with quote
jroa wrote:

That's why I've only brought up the manga as indirect evidence, not as my main argument. Which, unfortunately, seems to have been either ignored or downplayed in your response to my post.

I understand that it is being used indirectly, but it is still kind of annoying when we are discussing an anime and whether or not it is doing a good job of telling its story, and then someone says "Well, in the manga this happens, so the criticism of the anime is not valid." I haven't read the manga, and if I did read it, maybe I would be singing its praises. It could be that the manga is much better than the anime. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Quote:

Frankly, it would also be quite questionable to preemptively assume the manga is necessarily handling things better or worse. Even I wasn't arguing this. My point was that the rest of the story, which both versions absolutely do continue to have in common, cannot simply be reduced to meaningless build up to the failed sexual assault at all.

I should clarify that I am not saying "the rest of the story" only builds up to the rape scene. I was only saying that the condition Michael put on Maria only seemed to be used for that, and that final scene between Joseph and Galfa. There are plenty of other things going on in the rest of the story that I wasn't talking about there.

Quote:

Therefore, I will completely disagree with the claim that the primary conflict of this story is "Joseph versus Galfa over Maria's sexual purity..." The attempted rape is merely a single expression, as ugly as it is, of the second part of this conflict. Not remotely the main focus of the story seen in the anime so far.

It's not my claim that the primary conflict is Joseph vs Galfa. I was only saying that the condition Michael put on Maria was just used for that and the rape scene.

Quote:

Just as you have repeatedly said that fans of the show may fail to see its flaws, I think the exact opposite can also be said about some of those who are overly critical, perhaps to the point of missing the forest for the trees. Based on the larger context of the story, I think the scenes you consider to be superficial are in fact relevant to setting up this world and those who live in it.

You should read my first post on this series. My first response after episode 1 was to say that it was the best first episode of the season. I loved it. I was on board. However, my opinion changed after I saw all the bad decisions that were being made with the execution. Maria's lack of growth, the terrible Priapus character (who I still see as one big penis joke), the failure to utilize the other witches in a meaningful way until the last arc, the over-the-top villains who have virtually no nuance, and the rape scene which I found to be very creepy and totally unnecessary. You even admitted it was unnecessary since you say it wasn't in the manga. WHY was it put in? For sensationalism? How could that possibly be considered a good thing? I've talked about this before, but there is a disturbing casualness to the way anime producers use rape. It's almost always used purely as a tool in anime - either to shock the audience, make villains that much more dastardly, or pander to otaku who fantasize about being the hero who comes in at the last second to stop the object of their desires from being raped. There's no question that Maria has been set up as a desireable "pure" girl for otaku attentions. I have zero doubt that she will be featured on all manner of body pillows and other merchandise, in suggestive poses and various stages of undress, waiting for her "purity" to be claimed. That is why I think the rape scene was added here. It plays into that aspect of marketing the product.

Have people ever stopped and asked the question about why anime can't treat the subject of rape with the serious, deep thought and meaningful discourse that it deserves? I guess we are supposed to just be drones, lapping this stuff up whenever it comes at us and mindlessly giving it positive grades despite the fact that it does absolutely nothing to seriously comment on such a grave topic. Let's just say it handled the topic "slightly better" than other shows and stamp it with a rubber stamped A.

Quote:

I have no real interest in Akame ga Kill but I don't mind recognizing that maybe you're right in the sense those villains have a more explicit conflict. I can accept that as a positive, if it works for the purposes of that story. However, I don't think all villains need to have that though.

Thank you. Even though we are not agreeing on a lot of other things here, I appreciate you saying that. Akame ga Kill isn't for everyone, but I do think there are some really interesting villains there who can be really analyzed in some fun ways.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I can't "backtrack" in my initial argument, that's just not possible. Confused But please do quote where I equated them. You can't, because I never did. I think I mentioned chastity once, which I was thinking of as virginity, though I guess that word isn't limited to virgins. But every time I used the word purity or pure, it was a synonym for virginity, and I couldn't have been clearer about it. In the quote you highlighted, I was saying no one expected him to be a virgin. It may be the Church's ideal, but as I said before, the Church turned a blind eye to that sort of behavior in men as a practical matter (just look at the difference in how Galfa was treated vs the woman he slept with. She was "ruined," he was not, though they both committed the sin of fornication). The same is not true for women of that era.

I already quoted it. You said:

Quote:
Galfa too enjoys sex, but since he is male, he's not expected to be pure

You didn't say he's not expected to be a virgin. You said he's not expected to be "pure." You said enjoying sex is what makes him not "pure." That has nothing to do with virginity. It has everything to do with celibacy. Celibate people can refuse to have sex and refuse to enjoy it. The Church demands it's priests do exactly that, and in the eyes of the Church, that makes them "pure." Again, you are trying to impose ideas on the Church that simply do not exist. The Church doesn't care about virginity for the masses. The Church does not have some tradition of looking for virgins. They only require celibacy. The existence of a couple of female virgins in Christianity throughout hundreds of years is not some significant revelation about Church ideology.

Heck, JESUS CHRIST was a virgin, and he was clearly male! Not only that, but he is essentially the most powerful person who ever existed in Christianity. Again, female virginity is not some special status apart from males in the eyes of the Church.

Key wrote:

The one criticism on this series - which Blood- has alluded to - that I will give fair due is that Maria really hasn't grown significantly as a character. She's still righteous to the point of arrogance, and shows little sign that this will change in the final episode, and this has bugged me a little. Frankly, it's a little surprising that the other witches have tolerated her as well as they do.

That has been one of my main criticisms. To be honest with you, if Maria had shown significant growth through this series it might have lessened my other criticisms by a decent amount. If you look back at my first commentary on the series (where I praised the first episode very strongly), I said that I expected to see Maria's ideology challenged and her to grow over the course of that challenging. Since that hasn't happened, it has definitely made other issues stick out for me as well.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
The Church doesn't use a term called "Purity". Chastity is a virtue for Church. Being chaste means either being a virgin or having unprotected sex in a marriage with your spouse of the other gender. Being unchaste is a sin. I haven't seen an official distinction between chastity and virginity in the Catechism and I don't expect to, because before marriage it's supposed to be one and the same anyway.

Worship of Virgin Mary was very strong in Middle Ages, so we can infer that virgins could be likened to Mary and thus were seen closer and dearer to God, while a married woman is also devoted to her husband and an unmarried non-virgin has committed the sin of fornication. The power might come from the virgin's closeness to God, but obviously that's not true about Maria, since she's already doing magic and is thus a grave sinner. I haven't read nearly enough on the subject though.

As for the double standard for men and women, I have no doubt it was there both because of practical reasons, as Gina said, and maybe also because of the idea that men are in general more sexually aggressive and thus held less accountable. But Christian value of virginity could also be conflated with the value of virginity as a marketable good for unmarried women, that existed across different cultures.

Last edited by jl07045 on Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:52 am Reply with quote
Would point out, CK, that people who write for this site who are normally very sensitive about the portrayal of attempted or actual rape in anime didn't have a problem with how it was handled here. In fact, Hope even directly opposed your stance on that in the episode review thread.

That should tell you something. Sure, it's your prerogative to see it however you want, but just maybe you're making a huge deal out of something that doesn't warrant it?

(And BTW, I find vastly more nuance in the characters in this series than in anything in AGK. Really boggles my mind that you find the villainous characters handled better in that one, but whatever.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:53 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
The Church doesn't use a term called "Purity". Chastity is a virtue for Church. Being chaste means either being a virgin or having unprotected sex in a marriage with your spouse of the other gender. Being unchaste is a sin. I haven't seen an official distinction between chastity and virginity in the Catechism and I don't expect to, because before marriage it's supposed to be one and the same anyway.

Yea whatever we want to call it, it's the same in the Church doctrine for men and women.

Quote:

Worship of Virgin Mary was very strong in Middle Ages, so we can infer that virgins could be likened to Mary and thus were seen closer and dearer to God, while a married woman is also devoted to her husband and an unmarried non-virgin has committed the sin of fornication. The power might come from the virgin's closeness to God, but obviously that's not true about Maria, since she's already doing magic and is thus a grave sinner. I haven't read nearly enough on the subject though.

Worship of Virgin Mary had very little (if anything) to do with her virginal status and everything to do with the belief that she was literally the mother of God. The only real significance of her virginal status was that it allowed people to be certain that her child really was the son of God. A virgin woman can't give birth to a child unless it is due to immaculate conception. That is the whole idea behind it. Its value really only extends to Jesus' status as the child of God rather than a child of man.

Given that Mary's virginal status has almost no meaning outside of that, it is ridiculous in my mind for people to just speculate that that quality of her creates a worldwide doctrine of female virginal power among Christians, without any real evidence other than people in this forum speculating about it.

Key wrote:
Would point out, CK, that people who write for this site who are normally very sensitive about the portrayal of attempted or actual rape in anime didn't have a problem with how it was handled here. In fact, Hope even directly opposed your stance on that in the episode review thread.

That should tell you something. Sure, it's your prerogative to see it however you want, but just maybe you're making a huge deal out of something that doesn't warrant it?

I already went a few rounds with Hope on this and I was frankly trying to leave her out of it at this point, given that I generally respect her opinions but I disagree strongly with her here. I am trying to not criticize her at this point, so unless you want me to do so, I will just say that you can look back at what we already said on the subject.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Apparently I'm going to have to quote myself to get you to stop misrepresenting what I said by taking it out of context.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
There has been a running theme in the series that female purity (virginity) = power, at least in the eyes of the Church and its contemporary social environment. The most powerful female figure in the Church is the Virgin Mary. The virgin warrior Joan of Arc is mentioned. Maria is a powerful witch, who is forced to choose between losing her purity and her magical power, i.e., loss of virginity = loss of power. The knight's fiancee lost what little power she had along with her virginity and was exiled, never to be heard from again.

On the other side of the coin, we have the other witches and Artemis (named for a virgin goddess) who all apparently enjoy their sexuality (and Priapos, who wants to), and of course all of them are anathema to the Church. Galfa too enjoys sex, but since he is male, he's not expected to be pure, [in context, as previously clarified twice, I'm using that word to mean virginal] and the Church isn't looking to excommunicate him for it. Joseph is pure [we know he's a virgin], but weak, and Priapos is literally emasculated [therefore a virgin], which suggests virginity is power only for women. Yes, rape is one way to take that power (and rape is more about power than sex), but as the series showed us, not the only way.

The Church has always had an uneasy relationship with sex, requiring even its male priests to remain celibate (although they can still come to the priesthood without their virginity)[note that I'm making a distinction between celibacy and virginity, since you can choose to become celibate, but you can't choose be be a virgin again], because sex is sinful and takes your mind off God. Yet the Church needs new little Catholics, so sex within marriage is grudgingly sanctioned...as long as you don't have sex for fun. It has to be for making babies.

And you can't seriously be making the argument that the Church believes Jesus derived power from being a virgin. Shocked

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Given that Mary's virginal status has almost no meaning outside of that, it is ridiculous in my mind for people to just speculate that that quality of her creates a worldwide doctrine of female virginal power among Christians, without any real evidence other than people in this forum speculating about it.

I'll just quote Canon Law 604:

§1. Similar to these forms of consecrated life is the order of virgins, who, committed to the holy plan of following Christ more closely, are consecrated to God by the diocesan bishop according to the approved liturgical rite, are betrothed mystically to Christ, the Son of God, and are dedicated to the service of the Church.

I believe consecrated virgin is a concept reserved for women, since I find no evidence otherwise, and given the betrothed to Christ part. Btw, "immaculate conception" refers to Mary's being conceived without original sin, not her conception of Jesus.

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, as long as you refrain from misrepresenting what I've said by taking it out of context or ignoring the parts that don't fit your agenda.

Last edited by Gina Szanboti on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, as long as you refrain from misrepresenting what I've said by taking it out of context or ignoring the parts that don't fit your agenda.

I have quoted your own words numerous times. If you want to say that you didn't present your original argument with careful context the first time, you can say that. I based my arguments on what you actually said, not on what you now claim you wanted to mean.

[I apparently confused the term immaculate conception with the virgin birth of Jesus. Though immaculate conception is related to Jesus' birth, it is not a direct reference to it. See, I can admit when I'm wrong. It'd be nice if other people could too Smile ]

Anyway, the point has already been made numerous times that even female virginity is not some vital concept in the Church teachings. Female virginity has no real difference from male virginity when it comes to the Church, and they don't even talk about those things in any meaningful way. They talk about chastity or celibacy of unmarried men and women and priests/nuns. Like I said, you are simply wrong on that point, so you can claim you were taken out of context until the cows come home. You'll still be wrong.

[Edit] I think it's funny you keep editing your previous post so you can act like you're not responding more, but here we go:

"Consecrated virgins" are a form of "consecrated life." Consecrated Life is open to both men and women, and often includes members of the clergy (such as priests and nuns).

Quote:

The Catechism of the Catholic Church comments: "From the very beginning of the Church there were men and women who set out to follow Christ with greater liberty, and to imitate him more closely, by practising the evangelical counsels. They led lives dedicated to God, each in his own way. Many of them, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, became hermits or founded religious families. These the Church, by virtue of her authority, gladly accepted and approved."

Consecrated life may be lived either in institutes or individually. While those living it are either clergy (if ordained) or lay people, the state of consecrated life is neither clerical nor lay by nature.

This form of service is essentially a devotion by the individuals to become absolute servants of God and not allow themselves to be distracted by the material world. Again, you haven't shown that this is something only open to women or that women hold a special place in this context as far as the Church goes. You're still wrong Smile
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:52 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
[I apparently confused the term immaculate conception with the virgin birth of Jesus. Though immaculate conception is related to Jesus' birth, it is not a direct reference to it. See, I can admit when I'm wrong. It'd be nice if other people could too Smile ]

And you (and Gina) robbed me of the pleasure of pointing that out to you, which is much worse than you being wrong.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
If you want to say that you didn't present your original argument with careful context the first time, you can say that. I based my arguments on what you actually said, not on what you now claim you wanted to mean.

No. Just stop it, CK. Everybody but you can see that you're doing exactly what Gina claimed.

And since this point has become intractable, this line of discussion is now suspended.

Quote:
Anyway, the point has already been made numerous times that even female virginity is not some vital concept in the Church teachings. Female virginity has no real difference from male virginity when it comes to the Church, and they don't even talk about those things in any meaningful way. They talk about chastity or celibacy of unmarried men and women and priests/nuns. Like I said, you are simply wrong on that point, so you can claim you were taken out of context until the cows come home. You'll still be wrong.

When it comes to perception (which is what we've been talking about from the beginning), you are absolutely wrong, and there are mounds of scholarly work out there to prove that point. I have literally read whole books on this subject in my study of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation periods. I can refer a title or two to you if you actually need proof on this.

And I'm about ready to cut off this line, too, but I'll give it one more chance to remain civil.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:18 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]

Quote:
There are mounds of scholarly work out there to prove that point. I have literally read whole books on this subject in my study of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation periods. I can refer a title or two to you if you actually need proof on this.

And I'm about ready to cut off this line, too, but I'll give it one more chance to remain civil.

Not to troll you or anything, but do you have a book recommendation for this line of thought covering the period 800-1200? I'm actually working on something along these lines so a fresh pair of eyes from outside the box might come in handy.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

No. Just stop it, CK. Everybody but you can see that you're doing exactly what Gina claimed.

And since this point has become intractable, this line of discussion is now suspended.

No, people who want to disagree with me can claim that. But that's fine for them. I made my point so I don't care to discuss it any more.

Quote:
Quote:

When it comes to perception (which is what we've been talking about from the beginning), you are absolutely wrong, and there are mounds of scholarly work out there to prove that point. I have literally read whole books on this subject in my study of the Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation periods. I can refer a title or two to you if you actually need proof on this.

We have not been talking about "perception" from the beginning. We have been talking about Church doctrine and how it is reflected in this show. Much of my criticism on this point has been that this show has been grossly simplifying its representation of the Church (mostly with the extremely dastardly Church officials). I find that to be a flaw. Also, we have been talking about whether Maria's virginity has "special power" apart from male virginity in the eyes of the Church, because people seem to believe that the show has been particularly adept at expanding on some religious significance of said female virginity. All of that relies very specifically on Church doctrine, and I've demonstrated numerous times that that the Church does not place some huge importance on female virginity over male virginity. You're just trying to move the goal post now.

And I don't know what about this discussion has been particularly uncivil. Haven't seen a bunch of swear words and inflammatory language thrown about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 28