• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2021 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
My impression of the shows I checked out:

Otherside Picnic just bored me. It felt like the plot of Flip Flappers without the charm. I tuned out halfway.

Heaven's Design Team the manga was real nice and this is a competent adaption. It helps that its about a thing I personally like as well.

Horimiya seems nice but don't have much to add. May check out a few more episodes.

Sk8 the Infinity and Kemono Jihen were alright. But will probably not watch more episodes.

Wonder Egg Priority is probably the best opening this season. Not the easiest watch, but also not as bad in that regard as I feared after reading the comments.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:49 pm Reply with quote
I notice that Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai is on the poll. As that wasn't picked last season what happens if it gets enough votes? Will they just do new week by week reviews or do a catch up review of what came before.
zrdb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The Road To Berlin was ok as Strike Witches canon but these farcical side series are just a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I liked Dungeon Town Boonies more than I thought I would. I found Lloyd likable and enjoyed Maria's comedy bits, but I can't stand Belt Princess.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:46 am Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
As someone who likes revenge based manga, I was looking forward to Redo and wasn't disappointed with the first episode. If Keyaru's antics are half as entertaining as Raoul's in Fukushuu o Koinegau Saikyou Yuusha wa Yami no Chikara de Senmetsu Musou Suru then I'm satisfied. At least he gave Flare a chance to see if she would be nice in the new timeline before making his move. Also the tidbit about the kingdom taking over and enslaving the beastmen pretty much showcases the heroes and kingdom were never the good guys. But the white haired knight seemed nice to Keyaru, so I wonder what happened to her since we didn't see her in the Demon Lord flashback.

As usual, the censored broadcast is pretty pointless. That sex scene in the censored version was replaced with still frames with awkwardly cut out audio Uncensored it is then.

Well...

Raul is sadistic in a funny way, with all his lame jokes, loony toons smiles and antics and ironic punishments.

Keyaru is more of an edgy avenger, down to business with no nocente punishments nor ironic vengeance.

Keyaru however feels more "Human" since he can mess up and be self aware of what he is doing is not right and you can see his mental state slowly degradante.

Raul is more entertaining in the "Spectacle" angle, with all the bombastic and baroque stuff he does with his near god-like powers, he is also not interested in sexy stuff while Keyaru has his harem.

I would say what Raul is like Freedy and Keyaru like Jason.
Brack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:23 am Reply with quote
Pui Pui Molcar is the first TV anime in ages where you come away thinking that the director is likely to win an Oscar down the line. It's so self-assured and every single decision is the right one. And as it operates on mime, it's language independent.
tintor2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:34 am Reply with quote
Guess I'm more into seasons 2 like Beastars, Dr. Stone, Re:zero.

The only new one I seem to care that is new is Egg. The animation is surprisingly good but the plot sure feels harder to understand than Inception. Still, guess they'll expand on the twists later.

I checked Redo but the whole sex scenes sure came out of nowhere. Also that long light novel about another take on revenge starring that guy Raul Evans. Will it have an anime or it's still too short?
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:26 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I feel like such a broken record. How about a link to the streaming reviews poll?

Here’s the link.

Thanks, but it came and went too quickly for me.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:33 pm Reply with quote
There's two links to preview guide on the marquee, the current one with Dr Stone, and an older version.
Showsni

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd call the earlier Wixoss animes adverts for the card game; there's only one message you can take from them, and that message is never, ever play the Wixoss card game, it will destroy your life. Plus the actual rules and cards are never even featured, really.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:31 am Reply with quote
Better late than never but who even cares about this season? The only new show that turned out good is a 2nd season that will turn sour if/when more is greenlit. Unless you count AoT S4. Osomatsu-san also rolled right into this season. The best days are over but it is still good. 7/10

Beastars The manga fully burned me out so I have a hard time appreciating what studio Orange is doing but that´s not on them. Paru Itagaki dropped the ball and is a much better artist than writer. Feel free to stop after this season if the anime somehow get another one down the line. The peak will be around here. 7/10

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season better finish in the form of a Part 2 and not movies but I will admit that what is coming will need a budget to make that scale work. 9/10

Sk8 the Infinity looked nice but also peaked with the pilot. The story is nothing special, ep 2 was basically filler but the animation didn´t drop too much by ep 3. I am done with Tony Hawk's Japanese Sk8land but it´s ok. 6/10

Tenchi Souzou Design-bu likely reads better as part of an anthology than on its own and shorts would be a better way to adapt but what is here is ok in itself. The manga changes a bit later on but not much. 6/10 and I am alone done.

Vladlove debut its pilot in December on YT. I would love to report that Mamoru Oshii got his groove back but that isn´t the case. He is also only one of the 2 directors and IG is only the secondary studio on the show. This vampire school girls comedy simply isn’t working regardless of who made it. 5?/10

Wonder Egg Priority Baby’s first Haruki Murakami is a bit too hard to figure out for its own good but the show at least is trying and animation is very good. This could have gone anywhere even if I have concerts after the pilot. Ep 2 was far less interesting and ended up suggesting that episodic Persona adventures are all there is to the anime. Ep 3 confirmed that and the content of ep 4 sounds idiotic so I am out. It least it is better than anything by Kunihiko Ikuhara since the 90s. 6/10

Earwig and the Witch turned out to be a giant nothing and did Goro´s team forget to make a 3rd act? Let´s all be glad that daddy Miyazaki is making another final Ghibli film. 5/10

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:03 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
Earwig and the Witch turned out to be a giant nothing and did Goro´s team forget to make a 3rd act? Let´s all be glad that daddy Miyazaki is making another final Ghibli film. 5/10

No, the original author died, so that's not on Goro.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

No, the original author died, so that's not on Goro.

Makes me wonder if they should have gone with a different book — DWJ has plenty — though maybe the deal was already made in 2011?

Not DWJ but I’d take Arrietty 2 to be honest (though probably not in 3D so maybe irrelevant in this specific case). I know they don’t like sequels apart from The Cat Returns, but in this case it’d just be finishing the original story. Howl’s is a bit similar, but trying to adapt the end of the book or blend it with Castle in the Air probably wouldn’t work after the film ending.
joeydoa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Better late than never but who even cares about this season?

Dude, what are you even watching? Pretty Derby S2 is pretty good - even better looking than S1; Gekidol is also pretty good; Cells at Work and Code Black are decent not great - probably not a good idea to have had two Cells shows airing at the same time; Laid Back Camp is great, but not as great as Non Non Biyori Nonstop which is already the Anime of the Year - it will take something pretty special to dethrone it (hopefully that happens); Heaven's Design Team is also good (a little silly but is a welcome addition to the workplace comedy genre); Quintessential Quintuplets looks better than S1 and is much improved in story and character progression; Bottom-tier Character Tomozaki is also pretty good - initially I thought is to be a reworking of Pygmalion but it is veering off into different directions and characters are being filled out; 2.43: Sein High School Boys Volleyball is a more realistic and grittier sports anime sort of like Ahiru No Sora; Horimiya is a throwback to Kimi Ni Todoke old fashioned romantic comedy days - reminding me a bit of NANA; Wave!! is one the best of season - a realistic portrayal of surfing as opposed to the lunacy that is SK8 the Infinity; Wonder Egg Priority took a little to warm up to, but its Persona video game mechanics crossed with David Lynch is full of pathos and deep musings on life - hopefully it holds up and doesn't fall apart - it's a tricky line the anime is walking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 22 of 22