• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Half-Season Princess Resurrection, Clannad Sets Slated

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pparker

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
The Damn point will be made. who cares about drama they will know what I am saying

yes they will and then they will dub clannad for you and then they will invite you over to their house to ride bikes and play nintendo and mom will order pizza

I think I'm really beginning to miss the real Answerman... Smile
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:44 pm Reply with quote
pparker wrote:
Zac wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:
The Damn point will be made. who cares about drama they will know what I am saying

yes they will and then they will dub clannad for you and then they will invite you over to their house to ride bikes and play nintendo and mom will order pizza

I think I'm really beginning to miss the real Answerman... Smile

I CLAIM to be in my 20s, but for all you people know I could REALLY be closer to...a certain above-quoted poster's age. The one who wants to play Nintendo and eat pizza, of course.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Unless it has a dubbed track, it's worthless to me and I won't pay a dime for it. All it is, is a fansub put on DVD.

The entire reason for me to buy a DVD over just downloading a fansub is that the DVD offers me something I can't get with a fansub. Which is an english dub track. I can say that if the US anime industry is going sub-only, then they just lost a customer.

Amen.

I really hate this sub only crap (and dub only), I like choices and I don't like it when it companies don't give you them. It's just them saying they're cheapskates and that they want to cut corners. I'd have to really like the title in order to buy them, it's only happened about 3 times. I don't know if I like Clannad enough.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I have my own Wii ill beat there ass online. ill order the Pizza all they got to do is dub Clannad.

Super Smash Bros Brawl anyone.?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Unit 03.5-ish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Mockery

n., pl. -ies.

1. Scornfully contemptuous ridicule; derision.
2. A specific act of ridicule or derision.
3. An object of scorn or ridicule: made a mockery of the rules.
4. A false, derisive, or impudent imitation: The trial was a mockery of justice.
5. Something ludicrously futile or unsuitable: The few packages of food seemed a mockery in the face of such enormous destitution.

But seriously, the drama's gone on long enough in this topic. Might as well give it a rest till the next drama bomb explodes.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:26 am Reply with quote
Unit 03.5-ish wrote:
poehitman wrote:
I'll say it before and I'll say it again. Unless it has a dubbed track, it's worthless to me and I won't pay a dime for it. All it is, is a fansub put on DVD.

The entire reason for me to buy a DVD over just downloading a fansub is that the DVD offers me something I can't get with a fansub. Which is an english dub track. I can say that if the US anime industry is going sub-only, then they just lost a customer.

BTW, in the last 6 months, I've spent over $500 on anime DVD's alone. ALL dubs.

I'd argue semantics again and pull the "moral obligation" card, but morals seem to have fallen frighteningly by the wayside in the current industry.

Zac wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Don't get his hopes up, Zac. He might actually believe you. Laughing

Don't give me the "moral obligation" crap. It's a business. Plain and simple. You want me to buy your product, then you need to offer something that I want to buy. With a sub-only release, they don't do that.

Where are their morals and ethics when they completely snub the dub fans by licensing a series and not dubbing it? It's a monetary business decision. I can respect it. But I'm also making a "monetary business decision" by sticking with my fansubs if they aren't going to put forth the effort to put out something worth buying, then I'm not putting forth my valuable anime funds to buy it. I can be cold and calculating too.

And we all know if a series is licensed and then released as sub-only, it's the death knell for any hope of that series being dubbed by another company. Because they'll look at it and see crappy sales because it doesn't have a dub track and automatically think it won't sell with a dub track.

Last edited by poehitman on Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:35 am Reply with quote
You have no moral obligation. If you don't wanna buy, then don't, it's your prerogative. There's nothing saying that they have to produce a dub either.

poehitman wrote:
And we all know if a series is licensed and then released as sub-only, it's the death knell for any hope of that series being dubbed by another company. Because they'll look at it and see crappy sales because it doesn't have a dub track and automatically think it won't sell with a dub track.

Well, no duh it'd be the death knell, because the license can't just change hands that easily so long as one company is still alive. And who's to say it will have bad sales? The only things they could really compare it to were Air and Kanon, and if they find that those didn't have stellar sales then their decision for cutting the dub would make sense versus something with more action/more appeal to most people. Sorry to break everyone's heart, but Clannad is not a wide appeal show.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I matters not. If we can just E-mail them they might announce something soon. If they do even if it was the plan from the start I will feel like I have fought for something I wanted and Won.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:59 am Reply with quote
Without evidence I'm not believing that Kanon/Air had poor sales in comparison and all this "not a wide appeal" stuff either. It's as wide of appeal as it needs to be in comparison to many other shows out there. If this was about the appeal ADV would have presented this decision up front and instead they did play as if they were going to do a dub.

They found out they couldn't because this is all about ADV's financial troubles. They probably wouldn't be dubbing anything right now.

My issue is that I wish they hadn't picked this up if they were in that much trouble. They are dragging Clannad down with them, just like they almost did with Kanon.

They have made a lot of poor business decisions in other areas that sucked their money dry and they have no good source of outside funding after the Sojitz fiasco earlier last year.

I think they are counting on sales of what they have hopefully driving them into some kind of moderate profitability. It has absolutely nothing to do with the "fan demands" to release a cheaper box set. They need money and they want it as soon as possible, so they took this option. I just wish they were more honest and made it clear they would do what they can to make a dub later. They aren't exactly known for being open about the issues.
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:27 am Reply with quote
^ you are Right they are Dragging a Good anime down with them. and there are dubbing stuff i know there dubbing Indiana Summer.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:54 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
^ you are Right they are Dragging a Good anime down with them. and there are dubbing stuff i know there dubbing Indiana Summer.

It's Indian Summer, not Indiana. And that's three episodes with a much more limited cast of characters. Compare to 24 episodes and a far larger cast. Also it'd be 1+case disc versus 5 or 6 discs in a more specialized case or a few thin cases in a box.

I initially thought it was a stupid license at first, but then realized it was probably really cheap, so why not?

In the end, would you just be happy if ADV relinquished its license of Clannad, knowing full well that FUNi or Bandai probably wouldn't bother with it?

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:56 am Reply with quote
What the hell ever you know what I meant
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:57 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

It's Indian Summer, not Indiana.

Also it's not being dubbed ( http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=90096&page=9 ).

In fact it looks like ADV's dubbing studio has been inactive for a while now ( http://www.animenation.net/forums/showpost.php?p=6522927&postcount=38 ).
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:01 am Reply with quote
No dude it is getting Dubbed Fact there is a link somewhere in this topic linking to a page where it has there release list and it says it will be Dubbed
Macron One

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:05 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
No dude it is getting Dubbed Fact there is a link somewhere in this topic linking to a page where it has there release list and it says it will be Dubbed

Look closer at the top post in the first link ( http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showpost.php?p=1511301&postcount=81 ).
You'll find that an ADV representative confirmed that Indian Summer will be released sub-only.

Last edited by Macron One on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 27