• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
So despite all the Rudy sewage I've had to wade through to get to what's starting to look like an interesting story, I think what's finally going to push me to hit the bail-out button is Eris. I'm not a tsundere fan in the first place, but she takes intolerable to the next level. We've been given copious assurances that Rudy gets better if only we'll just hang on, but how much longer am I going to have to put up with Eris's obnoxious behavior?

Does she ever get better? She seems to get worse with every episode, but unlike pedophiles, tsundere is a beloved character type for reasons that escape me, which makes me worry she'll just grow up into a taller, bustier, world-class tsundere (now with lethal sword skills!) because so many people think that's funny as long as the girl is cute.
Kibako

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
So despite all the Rudy sewage I've had to wade through to get to what's starting to look like an interesting story, I think what's finally going to push me to hit the bail-out button is Eris. I'm not a tsundere fan in the first place, but she takes intolerable to the next level. We've been given copious assurances that Rudy gets better if only we'll just hang on, but how much longer am I going to have to put up with Eris's obnoxious behavior?

Does she ever get better? She seems to get worse with every episode, but unlike pedophiles, tsundere is a beloved character type for reasons that escape me, which makes me worry she'll just grow up into a taller, bustier, world-class tsundere (now with lethal sword skills!) because so many people think that's funny as long as the girl is cute.

She is either tsun or dere, that's it. The novel includes one page at the end of each chap iirc, like a status window of Eris. And the last line mentions her affection, which, by the end of the kidnap scene, said who she likes were Ghyslaine and Rudy. But after the birthday party (I don't remember which one's), it added one line saying who she loves (Rudy).

She will break her promise though, but not in a bad way:))

spoiler[Anime probably won't make it that far but man, she literally devoted her whole life just so she could stand side by side with her beloved. If anything, Eris was the one I like the most in the novel. ]
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

What are you talking about,how can someone see the latest episode and say that Eris has gotten worse?She's become much softer and respectful to the people around her(as shown when she's interacting with Roxy's tribe),how is she the same person when she was first introduced that was just indiscriminately attacking Rudeus and couldn't have a civil conversation with anyone?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, so one vote maybe-sorta and one vote no. I guess I'll try to last to the end of this cour, but that doesn't leave me very sanguine about anything beyond that. Thanks.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:02 am Reply with quote
^
Oh, I think she's waaaay better in episode 9. (I'll even be mentioning this in the review.) In fact, I found her tolerable for the first time.

In retrospect, I have to wonder if some of her behavior wasn't so much because she was a spoiled brat or imitating her grandfather but instead because she was being pushed into a lifestyle which didn't suit her nature and was rebelling. I am curious to see if the story will show more evidence to support this, but the fact that - aside from meeting Ruijerd for the first time - she isn't being fazed by any of this and has more exuberance for it than Rudy does certainly contributes to that impression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ryuu14

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:12 pm Reply with quote
While Eris is overall more tolerable than before, I still had to turn the volume down when she woke up and saw Ruijerd (there's loud, there's Eris, and there's LOUD Eris)

As for why Roxy doesn't know Ruijerd, her father said she left over 20 years ago.
Seeing the normal reaction to Ruijerd's presence, I'd assume that he first got involved with the village when he saved that child 10 years ago, so she wouldn't have been there.
BionicRich

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I always thought the pervy stuff was pretty funny. All those drooling faces on a little kid that were so out of place Laughing
Snowcat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
In retrospect, I have to wonder if some of her behavior wasn't so much because she was a spoiled brat or imitating her grandfather but instead because she was being pushed into a lifestyle which didn't suit her nature and was rebelling.

I think she is the character that changed the most during those past episodes. She was obnoxious and probably imitating her grandfather for the loud and violent aspect. But with her struggle with studies and noble etiquette, it was apparent that she also feels out of place. Maybe she was even seeing a marriage with Rudeus as an escape from her situation.
With her talent with the sword and her adoration for Ghislaine, the fact that she dreamed of an adventurer life was implicit, but i was still pleasantly surprised to see her adapt so quickly to the situation and her new environment.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Pretty fun that the only moment of sakuga we get is in the background, with eris training her sword skills (and I noticed some people losing their marbles over the noncg dragon in episode 08).

Also, rudeus learned from roxy and is using water magic to get drinking water, that had been bothering me ever since I watched saint seiya, and mushoten makes e happy when it does that practical application of magic (though I lost my marbles with elinalise's practical appliation of healing magic)

Yep, what Ryuu14 said. Rizy was already gone from the village when riujerd helped them out. In a fun bit of foreshadowing, when rudy said he expected his magic teacher to be a middle aged, retired adventurer, well, that's exactly who roxy is. It's been fun to spot random lines of dialog iike that. Though I think it's quite a fun coincidence that roxy is the same mental age as rudeus, at this moment roxy is 44, rudy is 34 + 10.

An interesting coincidence is that the mana disaster happened exactly 10 years after rudy was born. Anime only watchers who follow seiyuu news should already know who the evil dragon god is.

I remember one person saying , (was it this site's reviewer?) that rudy needed a better parental figure, I don't want to give our boy paul too much flak, as he was 19 when rudy waa born, and hilwe rudy looked to hia s a family member, the age difference did not make the parental relationship to work well. Now I hope our 500ish years old guy does a better work: I assume that to be ruijerd's age if not older because teh laplace war was 400 years ago and he was a figure of authority back then, so he could not ahve been too young.

About the six sided world there are two theories, one is that the world is a literal dice, which makes no sense considering the amount of detail put in the work (and a certain theory I a enamored with regarding its nature as it is very clever and ironic when we call mushoten the god father of isekai) and the other is that the other sides are more like other dimensions , so it would be the spherical equivalent of a teseract https://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/rfrankel/fourd/FourDArt.html.

There are two lines of discussion that will be fun to have now that the waters are indeed calmed and that we are expecting some spefici info from the next episode.

Key wrote:
^
In retrospect, I have to wonder if some of her behavior wasn't so much because she was a spoiled brat or imitating her grandfather but instead because she was being pushed into a lifestyle which didn't suit her nature and was rebelling. I am curious to see if the story will show more evidence to support this, but the fact that - aside from meeting Ruijerd for the first time - she isn't being fazed by any of this and has more exuberance for it than Rudy does certainly contributes to that impression.

As someone who already read the novel, that is why I like to watch the anime along other people, they come up with interesting theories; that totally makes sense,as eris feels much softer now; and , while I hate mentionin stuff skipped from the novels, mostly to respect the anime creators wishes adn ebcause sometimes I get mixed up and the stuff actually happens later. I thinwe are safe to say that eris softened up a lot compared to her unprovoked mma times when seh was given one free day per week, that was the significance of that relaively pointless episode where they take a day off to buy an aphrodisiac.

I am not spoiling any specific events, just to talk a bit about eris future personality for people who specfically want to know it spoiler[ she has crap communication skills, that's the explanation behind her tsundere-ism, we can notice that because even when she is not being violent, she still sucks at comunicating herself ] I kind of hope the anime keeps the ecchi up, becuase there is a specific situation that would finalyl be more clear regarding eris, again spoiler about eris personality but no actual events spoiler[she might also be bisexual it's very specifically mentioned much later that she sleeps around with a particular beast girl, bisexuality erasers say that she is specifically only sleeping and cuddling but not doing anything of sexual nature (this is where the anime being echier might solve that discussion), which I hink does not hold up as she wants to have a threesomes with that girl and a certain guy]
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:26 pm Reply with quote
So mildly spoiler question?

is rudy going to stop being a sexual deviant finally now that the plot of the series is finally starting to get going? I can deal with general ecchi fan service but I am talking about the sexualization of preteens-young teens (bellow the age of consent) and the near constant sex talk from rudy.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
what motive would Laplace have had for doing so if he was trying to unite the demons, for instance?

Could it have just been because they made convenient weapons? Whether Laplace knew about the side effects or not (presumably he did), he may not have simply cared. Iirc, Ruijerd said that they helped stave off losing the war, so that may have been worth the loss of the Superd people. Perhaps have a "true" demon tribe amongst the demons also helped when dealing with other races. Both sides of the war could point to the Superd as being evil and could find common ground with that position.

Ryuu14 wrote:
While Eris is overall more tolerable than before, I still had to turn the volume down when she woke up and saw Ruijerd (there's loud, there's Eris, and there's LOUD Eris)

Lol, yeah I did this too
niknasr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:04 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

is rudy going to stop being a sexual deviant finally now that the plot of the series is finally starting to get going? I can deal with general ecchi fan service but I am talking about the sexualization of preteens-young teens (bellow the age of consent) and the near constant sex talk from rudy.

It decreased from what you've seen in the latest episode if that's makes you felt better. There's also the promised he made with Eris to wait for 3 years in ep 8. Well, one more thing he will grow up, Eris will grow up and both will grow up above the age of consent which is 15 (adult) in this anime. So, the thing that majority criticised about will not be there anymore.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
niknasr wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

It decreased from what you've seen in the latest episode if that's makes you felt better. There's also the promised he made with Eris to wait for 3 years in ep 8. Well, one more thing he will grow up, Eris will grow up and both will grow up above the age of consent which is 15 (adult) in this anime. So, the thing that majority criticised about will not be there anymore.

I don’t know how no one else has broke this to you, but the story arbitrarily deciding that having sex with a 15 year old is ok doesn’t make it so. That’s still a child, and a manipulated one at that.
niknasr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:13 am Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
niknasr wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I don’t know how no one else has broke this to you, but the story arbitrarily deciding that having sex with a 15 year old is ok doesn’t make it so. That’s still a child, and a manipulated one at that.

Nope. I understand your point. But, nope. The critiques were always about the age gap and underage and that's the issue that people had with this title. Yeah, 15 doesn't make it ok? Yeah, agreed, but if they decided to make them adult that can have sex at that age, then that's okay for me as well (in the context of story). The manipulation was a whole another issue together, and I believed he's only had an influence on them despite he said he want to groom in ep 3/4 if I'm not mistaken. (spoiler based on the future events which might not covered in the anime, and the main girls were actually clever in one way or another when we see more POV from people other than Rudy later) but hey I knew this topic is delicate, so sorry for restarting it back but I hope it end with this as well.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
niknasr wrote:
Nope. I understand your point. But, nope. The critiques were always about the age gap and underage and that's the issue that people had with this title. Yeah, 15 doesn't make it ok? Yeah, agreed, but if they decided to make them adult that can have sex at that age, then that's okay for me as well (in the context of story). The manipulation was a whole another issue together, and I believed he's only had an influence on them despite he said he want to groom in ep 3/4 if I'm not mistaken. (spoiler based on the future events which might not covered in the anime, and the main girls were actually clever in one way or another when we see more POV from people other than Rudy later) but hey I knew this topic is delicate, so sorry for restarting it back but I hope it end with this as well.

It most certainly does not end when you go “the problem is the things that are still the exact same problems, but...” The major complaint of the series is that it does some incredibly gross and shitty things, and then pretends they aren’t bad by the rules of the new world Rudy is in. You giving yet another example of that is the exact opposite of somehow refuting that, and declaring that the conversation is over with it is really just another attempt to avoid it being criticized for what it is.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 31