• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maria Holic (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I completely forgot all about this series and thought most people did as well. After less than ten minutes, I lost all interest in this series.

There isn't any thing that separates this series from any random ecchi series.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Wow, I completely forgot all about this series and thought most people did as well. After less than ten minutes, I lost all interest in this series.

There isn't any thing that separates this series from any random ecchi series.

Akiyuki Shinbo as director separates this from any random ecchi series. Whether or not that is a good thing is personal taste.
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

Well its certanly an ecchi series however there aren't much of fan service and Maria+Holic focuses a lot more on comedy and romance rather than just being a fanfest(as much as I try I can't recall any panty shots or such). Sure its got some pretty girls and plenty of nosebleeds and occasional exposed bra but thats just they way manga is written, so it wasn't just randomly added for "pleasing fans" purpose. I don't like excessive fan service myself... like IkkiTousen or Godannar where "fan service" can very well be a theme, since those shows won't be what they are without it.

Well in the end it does stand out, at least by its art and animation quality aside from other plot tweaks and parodies.
axstoro

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really liking this anime, while the main character does come out a little strong, the other characters keep me watching.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
What, this is really the Maria Holic thread, let me blow out the cobwebs. Really here to say how the second season (Maria Holic Alive) has been going.

It has actually felt rather slow, the first season had that big rosario cliffhanger, yet they have barely touched it, but have kind of still teased about it. Also been disapointed that Mariya has been rather tame this season, not nearly as much as first season, and Mariya's twin sister Shizu has had very little time, plus too much Kanae.

But it looks like the recent episode (it might be episode 6, I forget right now) has shown a light of change. It has become clear that this season did not come directly after the first and was actually filling in spaces, time has actually been rather weired. But recent episodes have had some rather good parts involving Mariya with Shizu, and even better, Shizu's butler who is incidenctly Matsurika's twin brother Rindo. Especially humourus seeing Mariya and Shizu fighting over their physical results, with Shizu coming out taller despite being the younger sister, yet trying to stop Rindo from revealing the rest.

had been getting a bit furstrated, but they finally had a few stories that came off each other, then they decided to do an episode that actually pulled apart an episode for it's logic in a Phoenix Wright game. The first OP was a bit iffy (it is pretty much Kanae's voice actor yelling out the plot) but the second OP has been rather catchy, plus the whole Matsurika Holic made watching it feel really worth while watching it. The small things really.

Of course there have been the problem of jokes flying over head or flat, but it is starting to look up as long as they do not reuse the same old jokes. Although I did like how they did that sports teacher joke: spoiler[I originally recognised the tanned teacher as the PE teacher, nothing really wrong, but then things started going too well, then I remembered it. That teacher was only a figment of Kanako's imagination, so clearly anything with her in it was clearly a dream, they managed to pull off a good gag from the dream part of the last episode of the first season.]
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked season one! it was great and had a good plot line.
It would seem the second season is lost a little bit.

I can not put my finger on whats gone out of it to be as it is now.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I am enjoying the second season. The time shifting episodes regarding the make up exams were well done.

You certainly have to pay attention to catch everything.

Also, the director certainly knows how to put together a visually interesting opening and closing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4