• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Read or Die (OAV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ac_dropout

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Obvious to me the main story was about the fire breathing mad monk from Saiyuki.

Nancy, Drake, Yomako, and the rest of them are just side characters.

The fire breathing Saiyuki character stole the show.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:19 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
I wrote a review back in the day on Read or Die previously before ever watchin it, and you can tell I had HIGH HOPES for this show. Click link to read it.

http://forum.binaryculture.net/index.php?showtopic=401

You wrote a review, before ever watching it...? Rolling Eyes

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:53 pm Reply with quote
ac_dropout wrote:
Obvious to me the main story was about the fire breathing mad monk from Saiyuki.

Nancy, Drake, Yomako, and the rest of them are just side characters.

The fire breathing Saiyuki character stole the show.

spoiler[What fun that he got brutally impaled only about halfway. =P]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
The Frankman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Before you mock me, it's done all the time in the gaming industry. However you are right, what I wrote is a preview of how I think Read or Die will turn out/what the OVA entails through research . . . lots of research. Smile
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 8:31 pm Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Before you mock me, it's done all the time in the gaming industry. However you are right, what I wrote is a preview of how I think Read or Die will turn out/what the OVA entails through research . . . lots of research. Smile

"Research", eh? Is that what you call it? Rolling Eyes

I have a different word for it... Razz

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:18 pm Reply with quote
I liked it.

In fact, I grabbed a tape and taped it through so I could watch it again. Smile

Overall, R.O.D. has a nice mix of character types and an interesting story. On the bad side, though, is the fact that it doesn't really spend enough time to flesh everything out.

I've seen too many OAVs that are just too short, and would have been a lot better if the time was extended to include some more material.

I think R.O.D. is very good as is. I'm looking forward to checking out R.O.D. The TV (and hope that all the lingering questions are answered).

Oh, it's my first post here. Hi, everyone. Smile
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:35 am Reply with quote
Confused
Do tell. I have NO CLUE why you're jumping me . . .
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:01 am Reply with quote
The Frankman wrote:
Confused
Do tell. I have NO CLUE why you're jumping me . . .

My problem with you is simple. You state an opinion on something you haven't seen, presenting it as a "review" (and, when pressed, as a "preview") while clearly you are merely rehashing other people's reviews of it. Then you have the gall to present this as "research", and even to adopt a haughty tone when challenged on it.

What annoys me the most is that you don't even seem to realise how intellectually dishonest this behaviour is.

You have also sent me an aggrieved PM which makes it clear that you don't have a clue about all of this - you seem to consider this a personal attack, and fail to see that it is a condemnation of your poor excuse for a methodology. Telling me to take up any problems with Anime Insider (which I presume is the source of most of your "review") is just laughable. Tell me, does the word "plagiarism" mean anything at all to you?

Allow me to suggest that you take your dog-and-pony show elsewhere - somewhere with an audience of less demanding standards.

- abunai
Twilight Dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I tought It was good, but Really Really strange. NOt many times u see an agent useing paper as a wepon.
hikaru*

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I loved the movie. Very Happy But I was confused about the ending. Confused I kept asking my sister (yuki*) what happened. Embarassed I didn't understand,did Ms. Deep die or did she live or was that a clone. Oh well I guest I'll never know. Anime cry
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:13 pm Reply with quote
hikaru* wrote:
I loved the movie. Very Happy But I was confused about the ending. Confused I kept asking my sister (yuki*) what happened. Embarassed I didn't understand,did Ms. Deep die or did she live or was that a clone. Oh well I guest I'll never know. Anime cry

Basically, spoiler[the original Ms. Deep died with the others on the rocket, which would have decompressed in orbit. Ms. Deep's clone was left floating in the water, and became asphyxiated (lacking oxygen). Because of that, she suffered lack of oxygen to the brain, and thus suffered brain damage. The clone's memories were essentially erased.]
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:16 pm Reply with quote
hikaru* wrote:

Oh yes, you will, because I'm about to tell you. But first, I'd like to ask you to please remember to always use spoiler tags for spoilers.

spoiler[Ms. Deep died aboard the rocket. Her clone drowned in the fight between the two, but survived. That's the clone in the epilogue. She is brain damaged (from drowning). She's also pregnant, carrying the child of the I-jin leader (or so we are led to believe - it is implied in the TV series that the child may be Gentleman's instead, perhaps even a clone).]

Hope this helps you to unravel the threads.

- abunai

EDIT: Glory Questor beat me to it. しまった!
The Frankman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I'd really like to read the manga now. The OVA left too many unanswered questions regarding plot and character development. Sad Looks like I'm gona have to start shelling the green . . . I'm going to-dayyyyyy . . . To my local bookstore - Walden, den-books . . . (ok enough New York, New York).

Oh yeah, thanks for looking into the truth.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Glory Questor wrote:
spoiler[The clone's memories were essentially erased.]

Well, not entirely, as we will see in the latter half of the TV series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:37 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Kazuki-san wrote:
abunai wrote:

Seriously, it's seldom somebody manages to get the better of my near-eidetic memory. Kudos!

Well, I don't believe I deserve much credit. If not for my stupid friend (who, btw, is only stupid because he posted without asking me if it was alright) I would have simply apologized for his post and thought nothing more of it. He is the one who insisted I drag the DVD out after all.

It seems Stupidfriend (you've named him, I'm afraid... Wink ) is as anal-retentive as me. We're a regular flock of anal-retentives, aren't we?

Hmmm. "Flock"? I wonder... maybe the proper collective noun for a group of anal-retentives ought to be "a school".

Kazuki-san wrote:
but I will file this away, so that it can be used to taunt you in the future, should it become necessary Wink

I wouldn't have it any other way... Laughing

- abunai

Flock? Did the censors stop using * as a wildcard? Does that mean we can say batch now too?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7