• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Hiiro Tale

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Still keeping my interest in Zetman. :)

The new Eureka is also on my list, when I get the time.
LuScr

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
When I read the first chapter of this manga, because of the tension it built up I was so excited for this anime, but now I just wish we had a straight-up adaption of Ritz's main Saki manga.

Unfortunately, there's not even close to enough material for another season on the main storyline. The delays are starting to get ridiculous--the author seems to be taking a break almost every other issue (and this is a manga with short chapters, serialized in a biweekly magazine). Kiyosumi has been stuck on their first match of the nationals for over a year now; the finals are nowhere in sight.

I half-wonder if they came up with Side A just to keep the Saki brand relatively fresh in fans' minds, until they're ready to make the real season 2.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
I really wish I could get into Sankarea more than what I currently am. I like shows disturbing content. I'm also not adverse to fanservice. Throwing the two together creates a pretty bit tonal schism that I don't really like.

As for the other dead girl series airing, it's dropped into the same holding pattern that Natsu no Arashi fell into. No surprises there. It's hinting at being something more, so my expectations of Dusk Maiden being anything more than a fun diversion are off until the last pair of episodes.

Still loving Fujiko. Fairly certain it would be a mess if it were directed by anyone other than Yamamoto. Her other series, Michiko e Hatchin, had a similar -- though not as obviously out there -- sexiness to it.

I gave up on Jormungand a few episodes back in favour of the manga. Good to hear that there's some better story hooks. I just couldn't get past the rather haphazard storyboarding generally making a mess of everything. A series billed as an action series with sub-par action is dead weight.

And now to go add Polar Bear Cafe to the watch list.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Watching:

Accel World,Acchi Kocchi, AKB0048, Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, Eureka Seven AO, Fate/zero, Folktales from Japan, Gakkatsu, Ginga e Kickoff!!, Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, Hiiro no Kakera, Hyouka, Is It a Zombie? - Of the Dead, Jormungand, Kids on the Slope, Kuroko's Basketball, Kuromajo-san ga Touru!!, Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, Medaka Box, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Natsuiro Kiseki, Polar Bear Café, Saint Seiya Omega, Saki Episode of Side A, Sankarea, Sengoku Collection, Shiba Inuko-san, Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan, Space Brothers, Tsuritama, Upotte!!, Yurumate3Dei, Zetman

Series I'd call the best would be Space Brothers, Kids on the Slope, Fate/Zero and Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. The series I look forward to the most are these, Acchi Kocchi, which is very, very cute and generally fun; Haiyore! Nyaruko-san, which is silly, entertaining and funny; Upotte!!, which is dumb, bizarre and very entertaining.

The best of all, however, is Shiba Inuko-san. It has the ugliest dog-girl I've ever seen, mostly lame jokes, some insanely hilarious jokes, and incredibly abrupt endings. Oh, and the opening theme is nice and catchy. It is the best use for ninety second periods of time I could possibly think of, unless maybe you suffer from premature ejaculation.

I've also been pleasantly surprised by Natsuiro Kiseki, and disappointed but not particularly surprised by Shining Hearts - Shiawase no Pan.
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
superdry wrote:
I know you're watching a ton of stuff, but I noticed between this weeks article and last week, you have yet to try out Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.

Not really worth it.
sainta

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I think I'll start watching Hunter x Hunter once the new stuff starts. Or maybe the Genei Ryodan arc cos it was my favorite from the original series (well the/the lack of ending was pretty disappointing but the atmosphere was awesome)
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
superdry wrote:
I know you're watching a ton of stuff, but I noticed between this weeks article and last week, you have yet to try out Haiyore! Nyaruko-san.

Not really worth it.

I agree with dragon695. From what I have seen, Nyaruko might be entertaining and "fun", but ultimately it is a dumb and forgettable show.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
When I read the first chapter of this manga, because of the tension it built up I was so excited for this anime, but now I just wish we had a straight-up adaption of Ritz's main Saki manga.

Well, that's the thing. It's going to be at least 2 to 3 years more before the nationals are done. Ritz is painfully slow with drawing (the only reason Achiga could go at the pace it does is because it has the illustrator from Bamboo Blade drawing the Achiga manga instead of Ritz herself) and the matches are going by so slowly and you just know that by the time Kiyosumi, Shiraitodai (and most likely Achiga) face off against eachother that the games will be most likely even longer.

I actually really appreciate that the Achiga anime has been steamrolling through these unimportant matches. Nothing would have been worse than for them to spend an extra episode on the prefecture tournament and another 2-3 episodes on their first 2 matches only to leave merely a few episodes for the semifinal match against Shiraitodai.

I think anybody who follows Saki realizes that while the first half of Achiga wasn't the most entertaining, that pace was absolutely necessary so that the awesomeness of the second half can be fully shown.

And the mahjong is never really explained all that well. I imagine most Japanese viewers are already familiar with it (akin to poker over here). It's not a hard game to pick up the basics. There are documents out there which cover all the basics of Japanese/Riichi mahjong that one can read in 10 minutes. After which they'll fully understand basic concept such as riichi, ron, tsumo, tenpai, chi, pon, kan, dora, furiten, etc as well as the basic structure of hands (4 sets/runs of 3 and a single pair) and the basic format of the game. True, learning the hands (and especially the scoring of said hands) can be a pain, buut that's not truly necessary for following what's going on in the anime.

EDIT: I also don't think that one needs to know any of this to enjoy Saki. I started the first season knowing absolutely nothing about mahjong and still enjoyed it immensely. It wasn't until I watched Akagi that I figured I better learn about the game before watching more. But yeah, Saki is about lesbians and over-the-top mahjong, in that order.

Last edited by Megiddo on Wed May 23, 2012 11:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched any of the shows mentioned, but the top three seems like something that fits my taste (I'm currently following Welcome to the NHK and I love it immensely). And the high ranking for Polar Bear Cafe makes me smile. I've seen a few clips of it, and watching it makes me feel as though I am three years old, and in an oddly good way.

Sadly, I don't have any legal means of acquiring them affordably.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I agree with dragon695. From what I have seen, Nyaruko might be entertaining and "fun", but ultimately it is a dumb and forgettable show.

If you're at all into Lovecraftian fiction, it's hard not to recommend the show enough. All dem references make you feel good. Otherwise I agree that it's not really worth the effort.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

...and?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
dragon695 wrote:
superdry wrote:

Not really worth it.

I disagree. It's certainly no masterpiece, but it is quite entertaining, and that makes it worthwhile. Bamboo could do a lot worse than some fun lighthearted fluff.

Anyways, I saw Nyarko-san listed on Bamboo's streaming schedule that she posted on twitter, so I expect that it will probably show up in a future column, now that some of her other shows have been cut.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

A lot of shows fall under "dumb and forgettable." Not everything needs to be super-deep or amazing or whatever. What's wrong with just fun entertainment?

walw6pK4Alo wrote:

If you're at all into Lovecraftian fiction, it's hard not to recommend the show enough. All dem references make you feel good. Otherwise I agree that it's not really worth the effort.

All the references to so many things is one of the best parts of the show.

I only mentioned it in my post because it is a Spring show being legally streamed, but Bamboo has yet to watch it (due to scheduling or just missing it or whatever).

Last edited by superdry on Thu May 24, 2012 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 12:41 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

...and?

The point of your post? Razz (Naw, c'mon, let's keep this going... see how far we can get with this pointless snark.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Anyways, I saw Nyarko-san listed on Bamboo's streaming schedule that she posted on twitter, so I expect that it will probably show up in a future column, now that some of her other shows have been cut.

I don't know if I'll get around to Nyarko, honestly. I missed the boat on it back when I was still juggling 25-ish shows, and it's kind of past the statute of limitations now. I may end up catching up on it anyway, but it will likely not appear in the column this season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7