• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sword Art Online (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hentai_JP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I thought the boss battle with Kirito and Asuna combo was pretty damn epic. I like how their styles combine: Kirito uses 'claymore' type sword that relies on strength to cut through opponents while Asuna is using Spanish rapier - a thin sword used primarily for stabbing. Above anything else it makes it look damn pretty and really shows the teamwork.

I already see the development Kirito is going to go through, starting from his 'loner' attitude and seeing how he pushed everyone away just now. I want some romance along the way too Razz.

I hope the series has 24+ episodes as that would be great. This episode didn't feel rushed to me but judging from comments there is some establishment scenes missing. Well I just hope Sword Art Online takes it's time when it needs. I things keep up this would be easily an 'excellent' level material.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
I don't think that it is rushed either, it was pretty good pacing to put what they did in the episode. I can't imagine that they would have had gone slower and left some for next episode, as it seems that the focus was on spoiler[what the beginners thought of betas , and him using that term.]

I was a bit put off at first by him acting like he did in spoiler[becoming a "Beater", but I kind of figured out that he was actually trying to stop their hate on other beta players by saying they were noobs. I thought that he could have talked things through, but he might have figured that if he stayed, regardless of what he said, there would be distrust within having them hate one person is better than having them turn on each other.]

I think that I sympathize a bit for Asuna, as I am someone who is always on the outside watching the other people like she was. Made it really awkward in team projects in my studies.

I am still looking forward, and this episode did meet my expectations, I thought that some of the fight was especially well animated, that is as someone who knows nothing about the source. For those who know the source, try to take this as it comes, you will have a lot more fun if you don't try to compare it to the original.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I missed something when spoiler[bluey got deady. Was he trying to yoink the special drop, or was he doing something all sacrificial-like? Because it seems like the show said both, but maybe I just didn't get it.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
I feel like I missed something when spoiler[bluey got deady. Was he trying to yoink the special drop, or was he doing something all sacrificial-like? Because it seems like the show said both, but maybe I just didn't get it.]

As far as I could tell, spoiler[he tried to use his authority to take the special drop, but he was also a beta and took the time to look after beginners. But for some stupid reason he thought that his little bout of selfishness was worth dying.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Good Guy Kirita takes the villain approach to make it easier for the rest of the beta testers. I like this dude alot. He is vastly superior to a main character than haruyuki from accel world. He has a Lelouch vibe imo.
Skullface

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:

As far as I could tell, spoiler[he tried to use his authority to take the special drop, but he was also a beta and took the time to look after beginners. But for some stupid reason he thought that his little bout of selfishness was worth dying.]

The reason he went in was to get spoiler[the last hit and get the drops. Also, He was trying to prevent Kirito from last hitting the boss... but that whole part of the story was kinda taken out in the anime. But it wasn't so much as sacrifice that Kirito was talking about him that way it was because he was such a great leader even if he was trying to dick Kirito.]

also he didn't spoiler[take the potion because he was basically already dead he wasn't going to be able to heal up before his hp hit 0 so he rather would have let Kirito get the last hit and kill the boss then to let the raid retreat/wipe(if they failed people would have given up trying to clear the game most likely)]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
Hmm... well, again, I'm still not feeling this show. I was hoping to get something more based in character drama, but it still feels bogged down in mechanics I don't give a crap about. Hopefully, next episode we start getting to actually meet some of these characters and how they're coping with this.

Also, I can't help but notice the entire force of relatively fit, decent-looking guys which are supposed to represent the MMORPG players who had the dedication to secure a limited-run game. Are all the nerds hiding in the starting town?
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
I love episode 2. A very action pack and character development episode. I love how spoiler[it portrays Kirito who was only thinking himself and realize how selfish he was compared to Diabel who cared about the other players. When there was distrust and possibly infighting between the beta players and new players, Kirito placed the blame on himself as a no good cheater who didn't care about others so everyone focus their hatred on him.

Asuna's introduction was great. I admired her quick swordplay while possibly seeing Kirito was no bad guy.]

Also, Yuki Kajura's music is till lovely. 10 out of 10.
noyourecrazy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
The sudden change of pace in this episode really shocked me. I haven't read the LN but for me it did indeed feel a bit rushed.

Kirito's little speech at the end kind of confused me. What was all that about anyways? Why'd he say it? I can't remember exactly what it was, but if you've seen episode two I think you know what I'm talking about. Still, at least this proves this guy has some backbone.

Either way I'm enjoying this series, but it's not the "must watch" of the season or the newest masterpiece like some people are trying to make it out to be.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
The player numbers have seriously dwindled in the past month..
Clearing the first floor and beating the boss is not a one person thing.
The fight was very interesting to watch.
Things went bad pretty fast..
Asuna & Kirito sure make a really good team ^^
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Finally had a chance to sit down and watch the second episode, and while I agree that the flow of it was a bit uneven, I liked enough of what I saw to confirm that this series is going to be on my regular viewing list, maybe even a priority view.

And yeah, I did also find it a little odd that none of the advance attack team were nerdy-looking guys. But hey, that's TV for you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
noyourecrazy wrote:
The sudden change of pace in this episode really shocked me. I haven't read the LN but for me it did indeed feel a bit rushed.

Kirito's little speech at the end kind of confused me. What was all that about anyways? Why'd he say it? I can't remember exactly what it was, but if you've seen episode two I think you know what I'm talking about. Still, at least this proves this guy has some backbone.

Either way I'm enjoying this series, but it's not the "must watch" of the season or the newest masterpiece like some people are trying to make it out to be.

I'll explain.
spoiler[Basically there's tension between the Beta-Testers and the new players with the latter hating the former for abandoning them when they needed help playing the game while the Beta players went out leveling up and getting the better items.

When Kibaou blame Kirito for not using his Beta-testing knowledge to prevent Diabel's death, Kirito feared everyone would distrust each other over being a Beta or New Player which would lead to both sides trying to kill each other when they should unite to win the game just like Diabel wanted. To prevent the fighting and protect the other Beta players, Kirito portrays himself as something worse then the Beta Players who are newbies as he knows a lot about the game then anyone else and is using that information for his own gain.

This causes everyone to fear and hate Kirito since he's a Beater, a beta player who cheats and is much worse then the regular Beta player.]
Riddley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:12 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, I didn't cop his reasonings until after reading that explanation. It's going to be interesting I think.

I'm enjoying it so far. Probably because I used to play MMOs (I gave them up years ago before Cataclysm).
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:55 am Reply with quote
All this Beater business seems like it could easily have been avoided by explaining spoiler[Diabel was a beta tester], but I suppose I'm still missing something. Still more fun than the time I actually spent playing WoW, though(I played maybe three days before dropping that game).
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

Also, I can't help but notice the entire force of relatively fit, decent-looking guys which are supposed to represent the MMORPG players who had the dedication to secure a limited-run game. Are all the nerds hiding in the starting town?

Whoever said nerds can't be good-looking? :p Two of my nerd friends are pretty hot, imho.

I loved this episode. Kirito and Asuna are both awesome and they are both really cute too. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 274