• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Lower House Approves Bill to Penalize Downloaders, Outlaw Ripping

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:07 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
You speak about "The Americans" like some kind of unified force that prevents the goverment from even thinking about eroding their rights.

Well yes, when it's a foreign government attempting to erode those rights. Americans tend to get very upset with even a hint of foreign influence in their political or legal affairs. I'm really not going out on a limb by typing this. I realize that hanging out on ANN's forums might encourage users to be very paranoid about the consequences of copyright infringement, but some calm is warranted in this case.

In fact, I would challenge someone to find a case of an American being turned over to a foreign government for prosecution for committing copyright infringement for the purposes of simple consumption of media. Not selling the media, or even sharing the media, but just downloading/possessing it. Because that would be a very interesting case.

Now the American government eroding the civil liberties of the American people, yes, that I'm concerned about. I will however take the anti-SOPA backlash as a victory, and hope (not rest on laurels, but hope) that it could be the beginning of a more difficult political environment within which to pass similar legislation.

Quote:
You can quote me if tomorrow Sony goes directly against an american fansubbing group using theis [sic] law.

I'll keep that in mind. I'm also resisting the temptation to use the eye-rolling smiley right now.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:51 am Reply with quote
The thing you're forgetting, mangamuscle, is that the US is a global empire and populace notoriously jingoistic. The politics of the situation tends to get foreigns extradited here much more often than Americans get extradited overseas.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:52 am Reply with quote
Nothings going to change, people who ripped and uploaded will continue to do so.

They'll just have to get vpns or something similar to mask their activity.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
dan9999 wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
This bill is only for citizens of Japan. It has nothing to do with anyone outside of Japan. So I find the past few posts rather perplexing since they have absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand.

NO, they are valid comments because this kind stupidity is happening in many countries which are pushing for harsher laws for the internet and users.

All or 99.9% of entertainment companies see the internet as an evil to destroy and users to punish with Draconian laws.

I disagree because a lot of their content is made available to us legally on the Internet, much of it at no cost if you use the more basic low def Internet broadcasts from legal sites.
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

This example makes absolutely no sense in the context of piracy. Your example is a guy going to a restaurant because his wife likes the decor more than another restaurant. How is that comparative to taking a product that someone is trying to sell and giving it away for free to anyone who wants it?

If you accept the logic of "stolen" sales please explain to me how you delineate which kinds of actions that "steal" sales are permissible and which are not? It's really not that hard to understand my example, and it wasn't the only option I gave. If you believe sales should be guaranteed to someone then anything that prevents those sales from occurring can rightfully be called "stealing" the sale.

Now if your problem is the copying and not the "theft" of sales, it's a different matter entirely and you should not agree with using terms like "theft" and "stolen" in the context of sales anyway, in which case my argument didn't even apply to your reasoning anyway.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Also, copyright laws established decades upon decades ago setup what is ok to copy and what isn't. I always chuckle when people seem clueless about this or act like intellectual property is this huge new gray area that we don't yet have laws to cover or protect.

1) The laws are not well defined, it's not well established what counts as fair use and what does not. Some countries don't even have fair use.
2) Over those decades copyright terms have been extended multiple times. Were they wrong before or are they wrong now? What makes the period or what they cover legitimate? Is your basis for what is right or wrong whatever the law says? Obviously I'm not referring to mere legality, I'm looking for you to provide a consistent theory that delineates what copying is ok and what is not. The current law is far from this.

Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

I also love the idea that sales won't be hurt when you take a product designed to be sold and you give away that identical product for free to thousands of people via the internet and other methods. If these were physical products, would anyone argue that magically cloning every car at a dealership and giving it away for free wouldn't hurt car sales at that dealership? The only difference between the two is that with IP, you actually can magically clone it.

1) I never said that sales wouldn't be "hurt," I argued that they weren't "stolen" and I argued that there are other reasons that people buy things than the law.
2) Are you implying that if we could magically copy cars we shouldn't do so just to make sure the dealership could get the same sales volume?
3) I agree we can "magically clone" IP, this is what makes it not worthy of the property labeling in my view. It's not scarce and can be copied, unlike that which naturally can't be used by 2 people going in different directions at the same time.
jtstellar

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:42 am Reply with quote
more government policy apologists.. people who constantly look for parental authoritarian figures and wag their tails because someone is always feeding them need to die off.
Brent Allison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
jtstellar wrote:
more government policy apologists.. people who constantly look for parental authoritarian figures and wag their tails because someone is always feeding them need to die off.

As much as I oppose current U.S. copyright law and believe that the recently-approved bill in Japan's lower house is a really bad piece of legislation, wishing death to one's political opponents isn't very helpful, least of all to yourself. Not to be pedantic, but I'd take a walk and then come back to the computer when one is that angry. Maybe find a rock or can to kick around during the walk. Very far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4