• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Hero/Heroine Tournament: Final Roster + Guide.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so I lied. I do have to vote against a couple names I saw pop up here that really set my lights off...

VOTING AGAINST

Ash Ketchum, Pokemon -- Ha ha. So he fights for his friends. He's still an arrogant and obnoxious brat whose ultimate goal is to use small animals to fight other small animals and prove himself the ultimate champion of fighting small animals. All that reeeeeally means is that he's not a bad person. But he's no hero.

Aaaaaand my boyfriend is cosplaying him this year. We're velcroing a 12" pikachu onto the back of his hat, too. Anime hyper

Lelouche Lamperouge, Code Geass -- If my first impression of the character after three episodes was "No wonder he's airing back to back with Light Yagami," it's a bad sign. He had high ambitions, but that doesn't make him noble, heroic, or self-sacrificing. <-- (I have the feeling I'm going to be using that word a lot. Selflessness is my ultimate definition of heroicism. Treating people like chess pieces is not.)

Suzaku Kururugi, Code Geass -- And now I must bring up a little argument I may bring up in the future in this tourney: there's a difference between heroicism and dogmatism. Guess which one Suzaku is? He has a strong code of ethics that COMPLETELY go against actual moral principles at times because of his affiliation with Britannia. He makes several dogmatic and reprehensible moves that not only make Lelouche appear more noble (they're two opposite sides of an ugly coin, it turns out,) but also merits his Japanese fan-name entirely: "Uzaku." (Uzai, I believe, is "annoying" in Japanese. I have same Japanese friends that tried to explain it to me.)
guet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Some more seconds:

Balsa, Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit
Hakuoro, Utawarerumono
Pacifica Casull, Scrapped Princess
Kikuchiyo, Samurai 7 (Good catch on this one, I wouldn't have thought of him myself, but he really does qualify.)

Nomination:
Ichigo Kurosaki , Bleach: Stong-willed and extremely protective of his friends. He also inspires others to become better themselves. Also, it should be noted that he tends to ignore risk to himself when either his friends or family are in danger.

Edit: added Ichigo to nominations, apologies for doing that without adding a new post.

Last edited by guet on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Time for a couple of executive decisions here.

Gin, Hana and Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers are disallowed. Their heroism is much more as a team than individually. The same ruling will apply in all other cases where the heroism and honorable/respectable traits of the character are not easily distinguishable from those of the character's team.

To end any chance for arguments now, Lelouch is disallowed. He is much more of an anti-hero than he is a hero, and I should have mentioned him specifically when I used Light Yagami as an example.

No further votes against need to be cast for Totuda Matsuda from Death Note. He has been sufficiently buried that he has no chance of making the tournament even if he does get more support. Lupin and Ginko are both very close to joining him in their graves.

And be wary of nominating secondary characters unless they have a very strong case. We're up to 89 active nominations as I write this, so we'll have little trouble filling up the tournament on major characters alone.

Oh, and heed what Dorcas_Aurelia said about edits. Don't go back and add entries to previous posts; just make a new one. That's the surest way for votes to get missed. (Especially now that I have a chart updated as of this post - I'm looking at you, guet, since you apparently did it while I was typing this addendum.)

Last edited by Key on Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Dammit! Most of you have nominated many of the ones that I've been thinking of! Laughing

So, I'm going to second the following:

Shurei Kou/Hong - Story of Saiunkoku

Pacifica Casull - Scrapped Princess

Duck - Princess Tutu

Fakir - Princess Tutu

Tohma - Fantastic Children

Usagi Tsukino - Sailor Moon

Tohru Honda - Fruits Basket

Edward Elric - FMA

Sousuke Sagara - Full Metal Panic

Hakuoro - Utawarerumono

Oboro - Utawarerumono

Voting against

Spike - Cowboy Bebop: Like others have said, he really didn't do anything heroic...just doing my job ma'am.

Brandon Heat - Gungrave: Because he wussed out on executing spoiler[Harry] even though Brandon knew that spoiler[Harry] was bad for the business and for the Family.

Syaoran Li - Tsubasa Chronicle: I hate doing this but whoever pointed out the fact that he is spoiler[a clone and one that turned evil at that] sort of cancels out what he did previously.

Now I'm going to go look at my anime shelves and look to see if there is anyone left that I can nominate. Laughing
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Awww, no love for Brandon. Sad

Oh well, moving on.

Nominations:
-Renton Thurston (Eureka 7)- When it came to Eureka's protection and morality, Renton's the man in this case. It can be argued that spoiler[he runs away from his problems during the middle of the series. But, he returns to the Nirvash and eventually commits himself to make his ideals known which eventually earns him the respect of everyone on the ship.]
-Jinto Linn (Crest/ Banner of the Stars)- He's risked his life on more than enough occasions to help those he cares for or dealing with political matters that concern the Abh.

Supporting:
-Tohru Honda- She's a lover, not a fighter. Laughing
-Sousuke Sagara- Sousuke, on the other hand, is a fighter for the military and protecting Chidori. Laughing
-Usagi Tsukino- Can't have a hero tourney without Sailor Moon.
-Edward Elric- As brash and stubborn as he is, Edward has his morals and does what he can to aid those suffering under the military's influence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
murph76

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

Gin, Hana and Miyuki from Tokyo Godfathers are disallowed. Their heroism is much more as a team than individually. The same ruling will apply in all other cases where the heroism and honorable/respectable traits of the character are not easily distinguishable from those of the character's team.

Would this also apply to Maggie, Michelle and Anita of R.O.D. the TV? I was thinking of nominating Anita, but it's hard to separate her from her sisters.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've gone through my shelves and I would like to nominate the following:

Robin Sena of Witch Hunter Robin - She's trying to keep people safe and when she discovers that others think that she's the dangerous one, she tries to find out why, while trying to keep herself alive and her friends safe at the same time.

Kamui of X - Kamui's initial desire was to get what was rightfully his but as events progressed, that turned to keeping his friends and city safe...to the point of spoiler[sacrificing himself to do so.]

Youko Nakajima of Twelve Kingdoms - Here's a girl who was an average Japanese schoolgirl who just wanted to make her family proud of her, be a good student and (perhaps) do something about the fact that she has red hair. She finds herself spoiler[attacked and thrown into another world. Yes, she goes mad for a while but she pulls herself out of it and tries her best to become a good ruler for her people.]

Buzam A. Calessa of Vandread - a person who had joined with the women pirates for the wrong reasons and, after spending time with them, discovered that both worlds were "corrupt" and that the so-called "Pirates" saw the Truth and how to save everyone.

Arika Yumemiya of My-Otome - I don't think that she really understood what she was actually doing when she went to become an Otome but what she did know was that she needed to protect the friends that she had made.

Mai Tokiha of My-Hime - Another person who didn't know what the hell it was that she was getting into but she pulled it off. Perhaps a lot of her concern was to protect her brother but there was also the need to protect her friends and schoolmates.

Hikaru Shidou of Magic Knight Rayearth - Another girl flung into a situation that she really didn't have an understanding of but she knew that she had to protect her friends and those weaker than she.

Claus Valca of Last Exile - I must have a thing for people who end up in situations that they never dreamed about! But Claus pulled it off, protecting to the best of his abilities, not only Lavie, but the new friends that he made.

Miaka Yuki of Fushigi Yugi - She had no clue of what she was actually getting into. She just really wanted an escape from the stress of studying hard to get into the best High School. But, even though her heart broke and her strength waivered many times, she slogged along and did her best to protect the new friends she made and their world and to save her best friend who wasn't as strong and who'd turned against her.

Lafiel of Banner/Crest of the Stars - Raised to be a ruler but untried in command, she does her best to protect those who are under her command and defend her Empire.

Sakura Kinomoto of Cardcaptor Sakura - Someone else who's completely unprepared for the situation that she finds herself in. But, this 5th grader does try her best to succeed.

Aya Mikage of Ceres - Sorry, but I'm nominating another who had no clue as to what she was getting into. But, Aya, like the others did what she had to do despite the fear, the mental collaspe and the heartbreaking decsions that she had to make.

Chihiro of Spirited Away - She didn't expect to enter another world and be tricked (in a way) by a Witch, but she was and she persevered in her labors and eventually she, not only saved herself, but her parents and the people she had met.

And I second:

Ichigo Kurosaki of Bleach
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to nominate Colonel Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist. He has a strong sense of justice and honor, plus the drive to do whatever it takes to make things right. His efforts to correct his past mistakes and to ensure that nothing like them have to happen again, no matter the cost to himself or his standing in the military, surely earn him a place in this tournament.

Seconding:
Daisuke Aramaki, Ghost in the Shell
Balsa, Moribito
Yuuko Okonogi, Dennou Coil
Kimihiro Watanuki,xxxHOLiC
Utena Tenjou, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Shu Matsutani, Now and Then, Here and There
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Murasakisuishou wrote:
I'd like to nominate Colonel Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist. He has a strong sense of justice and honor, plus the drive to do whatever it takes to make things right. His efforts to correct his past mistakes and to ensure that nothing like them have to happen again, no matter the cost to himself or his standing in the military, surely earn him a place in this tournament.

I second Roy.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Nominating:
Jil (Tower of Druaga) - He may be painfully naive, delusional, and even inept at the start, but he is also forthright, honest, loyal, and devoted. His blind trust in his allies is not always a good thing, but that he keeps trying to help them even after spoiler[he is betrayed] speaks testaments to the strength of his character spoiler[(at least, once he is motivated to try again)].

Eve Genoard (Baccano!) - The one character in the series who isn't morally ambiguous (or worse), Eve believes there is good in everyone if you look hard enough, and is on a quest to find and reform her delinquent brother. Despite being only a young girl, she boldly confronts several crime family leaders when the adults around her would rather she take the safe path and let her brother fend for himself.

Daisuke Aurora (Heat Guy J) - Somewhat of a tenuous entry, as there's the obvious "He's just doing his job" argument, but this doesn't apply to the end of the series when his department is shut down and he recruits a band of loyal friends and associates to save the city. I can't go into much more detail without spoilers.

Juliet (Romeo x Juliet) - Juliet fights to overthrow a tyrant, but unlike the other survivors of the massacre a decade and a half before, she desires not revenge, but justice, preferably be a peaceful resolution.

Seconding:
Ginji Amano (GetBackers) - Ginji's motivation has always been helping other people. It's why he became the Lightning Emperor in The Limitless Fortress. It's why he joined with Ban to form the GetBackers. It's his sole motivation, and when it's something important to him, he'll follow through at the cost of his life.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:32 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:
Key wrote:

Would this also apply to Maggie, Michelle and Anita of R.O.D. the TV? I was thinking of nominating Anita, but it's hard to separate her from her sisters.

Based on what I've seen of the series (which is only the first half), I'd say so. If someone can make a good argument for her, though, then I might allow it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sophisticat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Any character that could reasonably be considered an anti-hero does not qualify, and characters widely-accepted as such (Shinji Ikari or Light Yagami, for instance) will not even be listed if nominated.

Unfortunate. I suppose this means my dear Alucard (Hellsing) won't make it, despite the gentleman he is. Ah well.

I don't have any character in mind that hasn't been nominated already, so I'll just second these characters:

Brandon Heat: He might border on "anti-hero", but his loyalty, his determination to build a better future despite his dislike for killing make him, as I see it, not the best of heroes, though certainly an example of a man who wishes beyond death to make things right despite what he did wrong. And isn't righting wrongs a hallmark of the hero?

Balsa: Nothing to add that hasn't been said.

Vash: He might be flawed and a walking weapon despite his best intentions, but his heart's in the right place (perhaps bordering on neurosis, but I digress).
Elfen12

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Ginko (Mushi-shi) - He's just kind of a doctor, and he's often just as interested in the mushi as the people.

I completely agree with this, and thus i am against Ginko. If you were to look at it from Ginko's perspective, he became a mushi master because he wanted to learn about mushi, not in order to help people with their mushi problems.

I also don't agree with Tohru Honda from Fruits Basket, I didn't see it nominated but i did see someone support it, so it must have been, i'm assuming. I don't support Tohru because it just seems like she'd have her limits,and it seems like through the show that they'd be about what she did. If she was put in the face of Adversity, (spoiler[ she kind of was in the last episode with Kyo, but that's differnet because she knows Kyo really well... if it were someone she hadn't met then she'd have been royally screwed in my opinion]) she woudln't be able to protect those she cares for, and that isn't heroic to me.

-Elfen12-
velocet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Seconding:

Monkey D Luffy (One Piece). There are so many examples of his absolute devotion to helping people. He is the first character I think of when I read the word 'hero'.
Sakura Kinomoto (Cardcaptor Sakura)- she's a great heroine - selfless, pure, courageous, and a positive influence on everyone in her life. She's a shining example of a great heroine.

And these guys too:
Utena Tenjou (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Usagi Tsukino (Sailor Moon)
Tohru Honda (Fruits Basket)
Sana Kurata (Kodocha)
Son Goku (Dragonball)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto)
Keiichi Maebara (Higurashi no Naku Koro ni)
Belldandy (Ah! My Goddess)
Simon (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann)
Kimihiro Watanuki (xxxHOLiC)
Nausicaa (Nausicaa, Valley of the Wind)

Voting against:

Daisuke Aramaki: Hero? Is that really the first quality of his you think of? I love this character to bits, but I'm really not feeling him as a hero, at all. His actions seem more heroic because he's surrounded by such corruption - I can't help feeling his actions and choices were more human than heroic.

Not formally voting against because it is mostly bias on my part, but is Yuuichi Aizawa really a hero? Really? The Super Boyfriend character is just beyond my suspension of disbelief. Sure, he does a lot of nice things for all those pretty girls, but I never really bought him as a truly sincere, caring guy who'd do anything for other people. Mostly because it was like watching Kyon in a parallel universe populated entirely by different incarnations of Mikuru. He does help those dewy eyed cuties, so I can't vote against him with a clean conscience, but it will take a lot for him to overcome The Raised Eyebrow of Scepticism which I'm pointing in his direction.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Let me just say that Key has a point about "anti-heroes" and I don't mind disallowing Lelouch for purely practical reasons, respecting the decision as final, but strongly disagree with the implications previously listed against him. Namely, he is not Light, in spite of the similarities. I won't attempt to discuss the matter further, not here, but in an entirely different context I'll be more than willing to debate.

Now, as for the tournament as it stands...here are my picks.

NOMINATING

Noriko Takaya from Gunbuster - Noriko fits the mold of the hot-blooded Super Robot pilot fighting against an alien invasion in order to protect the Earth. What makes her an interesting character and, ultimately, all the more heroic is the way she overcomes her weaknesses and fears, both in and outside the cockpit. At the beginning of the series, Noriko really has no idea what she's in for and, understandably, is still too green and immature, but is still able to pull through and do what's right. This series also has one of my favorite heroic moments ever. spoiler[In the end, Noriko and Kazumi sacrifice their former lives and the world they always knew, in suitably dramatic and spectacular fashion. Thankfully, they're still remembered throughout the generations and, against all odds, eventually manage to return to the Earth whose future they protected.]

-Daisaku Kusama from Giant Robo OVA - This OVA series is full of individual displays of heroism and courage, both gratuitous and moving, but in some ways Daisaku is at the center of it all. He is already the pilot of the Giant Robo and has thus assumed a clear responsibility to fight for justice and against the Big Fire organization, but at heart he is still a boy and the series doesn't exactly go easy on him, yet he doesn't stay down in the face of it all. The sacrifices others make increasingly hurt him and his own limitations throw Daisaku into despair. However, he manages to grow up and accept that happiness is something that must be fought for, not just in spite of but perhaps precisely because of all the sacrifices involved.

SUPPORTING / SECONDING

-Simon from Gurren Lagann - I've always found him to be more admirable, overall, than even Kamina -who is still quite heroic in his own right- especially because we see him develop and mature throughout the series.
-Utena from Revolutionary Girl Utena - Her character subverts the typical male and female roles, remaining a very interesting heroic figure throughout the show. I won't claim to be an expert on the symbolism behind the series, but that much is rather clear.
-Jinto from Crest of the Stars - I don't find him to be as interesting as other characters in that show, including Lafiel, mostly due to the circumstances, but he was certainly heroic and brave enough when necessary.
-Yang Wen-Li from Legend of Galactic Heroes - Yang is someone who fights for what he thinks is right, even if that might not always be the best course of action for himself or his faction, and he inspires deserved amounts of admiration from both friend and foe alike.
-Yoko Nakajima from The Twelve Kingdoms - She really got on my nerves for a couple of early episodes, but by the end of the relevant story arcs she had matured both as a person and spoiler[as an admirable and capable ruler].
-Kenshin Himura from Rurouni Kenshin - His story is one of redemption and those are certainly heroic in my opinion, most of the time.
-Keiichi Maebara from When They Cry -Keiichi shows a lot of heroism spoiler[ when he's not going insane, even in those scenarios which end in his death,] and in the end he's certainly a necessary piece of the puzzle.
-Sousuke Sagara from Full Metal Panic! - He's heroic even when he doesn't need to be. Laughing
-Hakuoro - Utawarerumono - Something of a blank slate, which is natural considering his situation and even the VN origins of the series, but he takes his successive responsibilities seriously and always cares about his friends and comrades.
-Dr. Tenma from Monster - He was admirable even before the story had even started and spoiler[I hear that continues, unsurprisingly, given how much Tenma values human life.]
-Daisuke Aramaki from Ghost in Shell - A strict boss who isn't afraid to make tough decisions in order to protect the public and generally working for the common good, even if sometimes that requires pulling strings.
-Kouji Aiba from Infinite Ryvius - He certainly has good intentions and tries to compromise, even if that's not always enough, and he could be either great or pathetic politician, depending on the situation. He is still sufficiently admirable though.
-Soichiro Yagami from Death Note - I respected him for his courage and dedication to duty.
-Edward Elric from Full Metal Alchemist - He does have a primarily personal motivation, but at the same time he definitely has a sense of justice and tries to follow it.

Last edited by nightjuan on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 33