• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Exclusive Dragonball: Evolution World Premiere Pictures

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:18 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Growth driven by TRANSFORMERS and MARVEL movie-related products

But not exclusively Transformers.

Quote:
Uh, Howard the Duck was obscure before the movie.

So were "Ghost World", "Road to Perdition", and "A History of Violence".

Quote:
Even as you try to blame one factor, you list several other factors in addition the ones you and I both mentioned.

Several factors all tied to that movie.

Quote:
Shueisha won't face "potential economic disaster" because of one film it didn't even finance.

It will, if the readers who've jumped ship from manga to games decide they have one less reason to read the source material-especially if they were too young to even remember the original show. And if Shueisha's willing to publish those Viz book tie-ins, and those flop, it might hurt the company's respect with consumers.

Quote:
This is different from your original discredited premise.

Not really. X-men almost didn't happen because of B+R. That's a fact. And it got made in a climate in which no one actually believed it would do well, because studios thought comic book movies were over. Thus the only reason FOX financed the project was because of the concessions made by the director.

Anyway, back to the topic. Japanese bloggers hate DB: E. Laughing

Bad translation of this sucker:

Quote:
In the promo word『"Dragonball" that has not been seen has waited up to now. 』It advances halfway in considerably primitive and rudeness (´Д`) seriously, and amorousness and the gag are none, and, of course, [pa] quite feels neither love to the (T?T) original nor the respect it is ..not seeing then.. ..(´Д`) (wry smile) story it is [mugo] about , [konna].. ..".. ..[pa].. ..referring.. ..referring.. ..there is not" either... "Dragonball" is that neither the supervisor, the scenario writer nor the production staff whether hate or read perhaps.
Feeling of barely keeping "Dragonball" by seven Dragonball and names of character (´Д`)...Nightmare re-[bi] of live-action version "Fist of the Great Bear". ^ ..might become possible if it makes it to photograph taken from life in the place where comic of jump is overseas though "Hunter of city" is also so so why cruel doing.. ..(..;?
Do neither Shueisha, the staff in Japan nor parties concerned say anything by the fabrication process? It might be not actually related to production in a name alone though [toriyamamei] allows one's name to be added to Chow Sing-Chi and the total production command.
Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Shueisha won't face "potential economic disaster" because of one film it didn't even finance.

It will, if the readers who've jumped ship from manga to games decide they have one less reason to read the source material-especially if they were too young to even remember the original show. And if Shueisha's willing to publish those Viz book tie-ins, and those flop, it might hurt the company's respect with consumers.

That's a load of BS. Can you rightfully tell that for sure that people are going to go out there and say that the manga sucks if they watch the movie? Shueisha has a lot more things to worry about than one movie. They're running hundreds of other series included in magazines, and non-manga magazines as well, and you're saying that they're going to be hit financially hard? Your lack of Japanese society makes me cringe even more Rolling Eyes

Though the one thing I can agree with you about the movie is that not too many Japanese people were optimistic about the movie. Every one of my friends that I talked to about the movie said that they either weren't going to watch it or that it was going to flop. HOWEVER, that only accounts for people that I talked that I know personally, you whatever you may use for statistics is not going to count.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:57 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:
Growth driven by TRANSFORMERS and MARVEL movie-related products

But not exclusively Transformers.

Quote:
Uh, Howard the Duck was obscure before the movie.

So were "Ghost World", "Road to Perdition", and "A History of Violence".

Quote:
Even as you try to blame one factor, you list several other factors in addition the ones you and I both mentioned.

Several factors all tied to that movie.

No one claimed "exclusively" on Transformers. No one claimed "Ghost World", "Road to Perdition", and "A History of Violence" were not obscure before their movies. No one claimed there weren't factors with Street Fighter movie ties. (The U.S. cartoon even had Street Fighter Alpha ties.) Please stop moving the goalposts.

Quote:
Quote:

Fortunately, fighterholic already discredited this.

Quote:
Quote:
This is different from your original discredited premise.

Not really. X-men almost didn't happen because of B+R. That's a fact. And it got made in a climate in which no one actually believed it would do well, because studios thought comic book movies were over. Thus the only reason FOX financed the project was because of the concessions made by the director.

But. It. Got. Made. Three. Years. Later. Discrediting your original premise. Again, please stop moving the goalposts.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:15 am Reply with quote
fighter:
Quote:
Can you rightfully tell that for sure that people are going to go out there and say that the manga sucks if they watch the movie?

No, but would be they as motivated to read the manga if the movie sucked?

Quote:
They're running hundreds of other series included in magazines, and non-manga magazines as well, and you're saying that they're going to be hit financially hard?

Considering DB is one of their key titles, they may or may not have projected potentially unrealistic higher sales from the flick; and if that's the case, it could at least hurt their stock value. I don't doubt that's partly what killed Square after "The Spirits Within", anyway. And that company had other franchises in its library, too.

testor:

Quote:
No one claimed "exclusively" on Transformers.

But you said the sales were due to the movie. And yet the articles suggest that sales were higher across the board, thus diminishing TF's direct role in the toy sales. Two can play at your game. Razz

Quote:
No one claimed "Ghost World", "Road to Perdition", and "A History of Violence" were not obscure before their movies.

But they were less obscure because of the positive reception for their respective movies, which cannot be said about the Howard the Duck.

Quote:
No one claimed there weren't factors with Street Fighter movie ties. (The U.S. cartoon even had Street Fighter Alpha ties.)

Later in the series, probably.

Quote:
But. It. Got. Made. Three. Years. Later. Discrediting your original premise.

It got made, because there was already money thrown at it. Superman Returns took a decade to get made, though. Spider-Man took five years. Why? Because they were considered risks, due to Batman and Robin.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
No, but would be they as motivated to read the manga if the movie sucked?

If people like you keep going on like this then they probably wouldn't be.

Quote:
Considering DB is one of their key titles, they may or may not have projected potentially unrealistic higher sales from the flick; and if that's the case, it could at least hurt their stock value.

PLEASE. One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, NARUTO, pay attention, Reborn, Claymore, Fist of the North Star, Jojo, Hunter x Hunter, and this list can go ON. You still fail to explain to me how Shueisha is still going to hurt by all of this. When it's VIZ MAKING THE FRICKIN' PRODUCTS! Please prove to us the economical ties, with a VALID source, and then we may start believing you.
testorschoice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

But you said the sales were due to the movie. And yet the articles suggest that sales were higher across the board, thus diminishing TF's direct role in the toy sales. Two can play at your game. Razz

But they were less obscure because of the positive reception for their respective movies, which cannot be said about the Howard the Duck.

Later in the series, probably.

It got made, because there was already money thrown at it. Superman Returns took a decade to get made, though. Spider-Man took five years. Why? Because they were considered risks, due to Batman and Robin.

Please look up what "moving the goalposts" means. And please stop doing it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:36 am Reply with quote
fighterholic: WB is a friggin' behemoth; and that still didn't stop Superman Returns from screwing up its stock value.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:46 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
NO VALID SOURCE

I rest my case.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:28 am Reply with quote
Malaysian review, and Korean review, courtesy of IMDB. Laughing
T0FFe3m@n

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
This movie is such a disgrace and utterly disgusts me. Why must Hollywood ruin my previous memories of one of my favorite shows of all times? What is worse is that is movie is absolutely nothing like Dragon Ball at all.

First Dragon Ball, then Astro Boy and probably Hollywood will continue to ruin well done and orginal anime. This truly is a utter disgrace, to the fans and to the creator of Dragon Ball.

Do me a favour - get off your high horse.

You haven't even seen the film for gods sake..
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:36 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Malaysian review, and Korean review, courtesy of IMDB. Laughing

Yeah, they're REVIEWS. You still have not provided any evidence that sales for the manga has gone down or Shueisha has been financially hurt by the release of the movie.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:30 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Primus:
Quote:
The movie line lasted from March 2007 to Fall 2008. IIRC it is the best selling Transformers toyline of all time (besting Armada).

Making more money than Armada isn't saying much, since no one even remembers that show. Rolling Eyes

No one needs to remember the show (I'd also say that isn't very true, since the demo it targeted is probably only around the age of 14 or 15 by now), since the toyline prior to the 2007 movie was the best-selling Transformers toyline of all time.

Also, in 2007, Transformers was one of (if not) the best-selling toy brand. The live action movie totally had nothing to do with that. It was just all those Universe, Titaniums, Alternators and left over Cybertron figures that made it that... Rolling Eyes

GATSU wrote:
Quote:
And you keep saying "it didn't create more money for the source", the source for Transformers (2007) was a toyline for the mid 1980's, that many of which wouldn't pass today's toy laws. No G1 toys were re-released durring the first movie's time in North America.

But did DVD sales for the cartoon go up?

Do you just skim through things people read?:

Moi wrote:
The cartoons? All releases of each part of the franchise went out of print long before that movie came out. But interestingly enough, Sony's 20th Anniversary release of the original movie stayed at number 1 at many chain stores (like HMV) prior to Bay's movie release.

The only thing in print in North America was the G1 movie, and I said, right before 7.4.7 it sold really well.

Anyways, it seems many are not liking DragonBall: Evolution. I'll watch it, form my own opnion, and all that jazz. If I like it, I like it (I like the 2008 version of Alone In The Dark afterall), if I don't, I don't (I really don't like Slumdog Millionaire).
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:25 am Reply with quote
Primus:
Quote:
the toyline prior to the 2007 movie was the best-selling Transformers toyline of all time.

You mean G1? :P

Quote:
Also, in 2007, Transformers was one of (if not) the best-selling toy brand. The live action movie totally had nothing to do with that. It was just all those Universe, Titaniums, Alternators and left over Cybertron figures that made it that...

I don't doubt the toys made money, but how much of it was actually from new fans versus old fans? Plus, those suckers probably cost more nowadays than the old ones, since the robots are more complicated. So did that add up to the total revenue at all? In other words, are they making more money than the originals, if you take into account inflation and cost per unit?

Quote:
The only thing in print in North America was the G1 movie, and I said, right before 7.4.7 it sold really well.

It sold well before the movie came out, so that's not that impressive. But if it's out of print, that might have more to do with rights issues and in-fighting than the company being unable to keep up with demand.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Let's try to and stay on topic, shall we? GATSU, seriously, these ridiculous attempts to twist every thread in to your soap box to bash certain nationalities and industries and demonstrate your japanophile tendencies are getting beyond ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
testorschoice wrote:

If you're objecting to the product placement, that's ironic, given that the first cartoon was a fun 30-minute toy commercial. Smile

Theirs a difference between making actual character toys for a glorified toy commercial vs. being a corporate shill and completely ignoring established continuity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5