• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sword Art Online episodes 1-7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Dropped this at episode 5. I knew I wouldn't like it to begin with, but Kajiura's score is really restrained. Key made several mentions to .hack//SIGN and to me the music of that show was so beautiful and just set the atmosphere so well. Whereas in SAO it seems like the director doesn't want to emphasize the atmosphere/music at all. Why bother to have Kajiura doing the music if you're just going to restrain her?

Oh well, if there's one thing I'll say about SAO, it's that these meme videos (warning: very high volume) are hilarious. Far more entertaining than the show to me.

SAO is not the kind of show that really needs Kajiura's grand style. I notices more guitars that I would've expected, though.

As for me, I nearly considered dropping the show at a few points, but I stick with it for three reasons:

-I feel like I should finish what I started
-The promises of the show getting better by fans
-Kirito is pretty hot and badass
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Well then Fencedude5609, we can finally agree on something. Yay.

~</:- )
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
should i be happy or concerned about this little development?
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I get that some of these characters are important, and it's more effective to introduce them this way rather than throwing them in randomly, but I still feel like they could have cut down the side stories by at least a couple of episodes.

Actually, from what I've heard from LN readers, a good majority of the side story characters only show up in their respective side stories and then literally never show up EVER AGAIN except for like two paragraphs in SAO's sequel.

Not to mention that the author wrote the side stories mainly for his wish to depict the kind of feel that you would get when you encounter someone much stronger than you in a MMO. In the end, he wasn't actually trying to explain anything significant that were omitted in the first novel, it was more like a fan product. The only worthy side story was the one with Saki, and I honestly felt that arc deserved two episodes, to lay out the emotional impact that event had on Kirito's playing style. It would have being fine even if they removed the arcs on the blacksmith and the dragon tamer in the anime.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
dtm42 wrote:

Let me put it even simpler. In Sword Art Online, the elements are fine, but the execution of those elements has been a bit lacking. Still adequate for the time being, but not up to where the show could have and should have been.

Yes. This.

Which I would like to point out has been my point from the very beginning!
Really? You were on all of our cases for being overly critical of the compositioning of the show. And now "oh, well, I guess the side-stories were adapted sub-optimally, and the elements, while interesting by themselves, haven't been executed well." I wonder what we could call this concept.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm behind two episodes due to certian circumstances involving internet, but I am enjoying this show. As far as Kirito's concerned, I'm pretty ok with him. Besides if I were him I'd probably also be broding between solo and helping others out (though I doubt I'd get a harem, [s] lucky anime bastards [/s] spoiler[JK]) all in all depending on how it handles the rest of LN material it could prove to be a nice 24 ep series.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609

Also, just because six of the episodes shown thus far have been side stories from the source material does not mean squat. I haven't read the source material and I don't care about the source material. What I'm judging is the Anime, and in the Anime those so-called "side stories" are right there front and centre. Instead of being OVAs they are in the main show, forming an integral part of Kirito's character arc. ...

Just because it doesn't mean anything to you. It's still important info to know because the final 3/4 of the series will be very different than what you see so far. It will have a continuous story instead of episodic. It doesn't mean the rest of the show will be good.

Edit: added for everybody.

It's up to you on whether you like the show or not. People who want the author to follow their standard is sad.
At the end, scores don't matter. they are all opinions. It's either you like it or you don't.
ss-hikaru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Oh well, if there's one thing I'll say about SAO, it's that these meme videos (warning: very high volume) are hilarious. Far more entertaining than the show to me.

Wow... Thanks so much that was hella entertaining Anime hyper

I want to see more of Klein too. At first I thought Asuna was cool, but she's kind of annoying now. Yeah, definitely want to see more Klein.
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote
Theron pointed at the two biggest flaws in the show which is the generic main character and the ridiculous event of having people trapped in an MMO for 2 years.

10,000 people trapped in an MMO would make headlines rather quickly so there's no way they'd be stuck for more than a week, yet recent episodes say 2 years passed. It would be hard to accommodate a staggering amount of people in hospitals and the costs aren't cheap either. You would also expect that 2 years would present change in characters' personalities as two years in a setting where people are removed from everything they cared in reality (Only one minor example of this was shown).

A character is GENERIC if there is nothing noteworthy about him or her. Kirito is a prime example of generic as he is pretty boring to watch and they try to make him seem more interesting through identifying him constantly as a loner or a beater. You don't need characters always saying that crap to make him interesting. Another problem is the lack of "major villains/events" to help flesh out or grow Kirito's character. The villain in episode 5-6 was not memorable and the unfortunate events of episode 3 were executed to quickly to be meaningful.

Those of you arguing that 7-8 episodes is too short to establish good characters know that there are animated movies/shows that are able to achieve such a feature in short periods of time, meaning SAO should not be an exception.

I think a C+ should have been the overall score of episodes 1-7.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
Got better in 8. There's finally an actual plot developing.

Last edited by v1cious on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
10,000 people trapped in an MMO would make headlines rather quickly so there's no way they'd be stuck for more than a week, yet recent episodes say 2 years passed.

It's like you missed the whole thing. They tried doing something about it from day one.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote
ss-hikaru wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Wow... Thanks so much that was hella entertaining Anime hyper

I want to see more of Klein too. At first I thought Asuna was cool, but she's kind of annoying now. Yeah, definitely want to see more Klein.
Erm, yeah. Would someone please explain this to me, as I truly don't get it?

When Kirito's sandwich explodes ("expires" if we wanna be technical), the video cuts the audio to Linkin Park's Chester Bennington belting out "CRAWLING IN MY SKIN".

How does an excerpt from the song Crawling by Linkin Park have anything to do with the expiration of a sandwich?
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I think it's supposed to be that old standby, the mundane event set to dramatic music. I'd say "E for effort", but there'd have to be some first.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Megiddo wrote:

Erm, yeah. Would someone please explain this to me, as I truly don't get it?

Maybe it would help if you watch more of them? (warning: very high volume)
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
10,000 people trapped in an MMO would make headlines rather quickly so there's no way they'd be stuck for more than a week, yet recent episodes say 2 years passed.

The very first episode showed that the villain announced his plan on the news. It's widely known. The problem is that there's no easy solution to the problem because it's a hostage situation where the kidnapper can easily kill all 10,000 hostages. Hostage situations have been known to go on for years in some cases, so that part isn't particularly implausible. Although if you're a computer security expert or a real life hostage negotiator I'm sure you could find some holes in it.

Honestly, I don't think the anime is particularly great and the score of B- given by the review makes sense to me, and even a C+ would be understandable, but I feel like the show's greatest detractors are the ones who aren't actually paying any attention to what's going on. Which hides the legitimate flaws in the series by attracting a bunch of outraged defenders like me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8