• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto GN 42-44

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adacus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Im assuming you mean in your opinion Kishimoto did a poor job of pulling off the "sympathetic antagonist“, not really something I'd call Itachi to begin with. I thought I did a good job explaining why I thought Kishimoto did a good job with Itachi, maybe you should explain why you think his attempt was a "poor rendition". At least go into more detail so I can see where you're coming from.

Kishimoto's temporally poorly disguising his antagonist as bad guy? Not giving him any weight outside making for disguising Itachi under a cloak of being a 'evil' guy. I guess this Itachi guy was a good guy when he was first mentioned. I wanted to see where the the author, what the author could make, what kind of execution was he gonna play on him. Then he is revealed him to a Pyschopath, then returned back to a sympathetic wash-out.

Quote:
First I said usually, and if we must, sure, make a new thread so we can dissect each and every bad guy personality in popular shonen manga. Bleach in particular was what I was thinking of when I made that statement, and it's what made me finally stop reading a manga I started out loving. Just listing a random series title doesn’t help with your point much unless you get specific in detail because those comics never held my attention enough to apparently understand what characters you mean. Please explain WHY those series did a better job, just don’t state your opinion without backing it up. It's just polite seeing I already did so.

You stated that many shonen villains do not have depth. Which is completely not true in the slightest. I gave you list as an example of shonen that do. I could easily give you how they did better if you wish.. You acted like Naruto doing the sympathetic villain was a rarity.
Why would you think of Bleach when there are many other series out there with that kind of depth?

Quote:
Shonen manga usually suffers from lack of depth to their villains. You have some big bad psychopathic bad guy the hero has to go up against, and all he (the villain) wants is to kill, or gather power of some kind. It's a shallow plot device used to death in fighting manga, but Kishimoto is brilliant because he gives humanity to a lot of his "villians" so much in fact that at times you don't even know if he's evil or not anymore.

I was key placing emphasis on you saying that shonen villains rarely have this depth. My key point of visiting those series was to show you there many shonen with villains like that. 'Stating Bleach made think of this' is not an excuse to state what I have bold.

Quote:
Second: Batman the animated series wasn’t an anime, and it’s one of the few American cartoons that had fantastic writers backing it up, so of course Mr. Freeze was brilliant. Saying "heck, even that Batman cartoon did better" doesn't do much for me when I happen to think that Batman Cartoon is one of the best animated series ever to hit television, American or worldwide.

Not really. Sorry. Batamn the animated series is at best a nicely put together show which knew what area it wanted to go. It knew what genre could do. Its the best Batman animated adaption simply.

Isn't 'Japanese Anime' You mean
Funny you should saw that. Actually Batman was quite few Japanese animators. Anime means animation in general actaully. I even went to Japan with my friends and I went to a store and I saw disney movies listed among the 'anime' section.

Quote:
Heart of Ice, the episode Mr. Freeze's character revamp was introduced into the new series under won an Emmy for Christ’s sake. I still get chills whenever I watch the episode, but saying that, I still got chills with the final revelations concerning Itachi and his showdown with Sasuke.

Even though the execution was off. Itachi was for while painted to be a insane, homicidal maniac whom killed his parents for a measly magic eyeball, then transgressed suddenly to a predictable sympathetic cliche, thus ruining the whole maternal point of Sasuke's revenge which its self simply portrayed Sasuke as being oblivious to all the turmoils of revenge, none. No portrayal of his inner convictions, no character exploration that might give in a more complex layer into his personality. None convincing pathos. Revenge is a deep emotion....

Quote:
Oi, I don't even know where to start here. I’m not quite sure what you mean by “dying characterization”, and I think “convoluted twists” is sort a redundant statement that could also work as a compliment in Naruto’s case, but I don’t think you were complimenting it. So please go into what you were trying to express more to make yourself better understood. And I'm sorry, but I have yet to see anything
"incoherent" on Kishimoto's use of archetypes, and the fact that up til now you continued to call them cliche'...

'Dying chaccterization' such as over tiring use of characterization' as people with nefariously tragic childhoods. About half the cast has a depressing childhood that they also choose to dwell on them. The fact that you have a villain who's has the exact same childhoods as mimicked in many other stiories. Don' get me wrong not all characters in the series has this characterization, but a majority of them, especially the villians as well do

Quote:
Humanity hasn't tired of archetypes in their stories since the dawn of humanity, and I don't think they're going to tire of it in the next couple days. Every character in pretty much any story you come up with can be linked to an archetype. Archetypes are not just a tool used by storytellers, archetypes are a necessity to a storytelling.

Um.....

Quote:
convoluted twists, incoherent play on tired archetypes, overuse of a dying characterization. Poorly handled emotion conveying is considered the 'Highlighting of the worst of Humanity and good of Humanity'?

You misunderstood. I did not mean a archetypes in general are tired use in storytelling in that manner. Rather that the archetypes Naruto chooses to play down by have been tired.

Quote:
Besides that, what concerning emotion was poorly handled by Kishimoto? And you misunderstood me. While emotions do play a major role in bringing out the "humanity" aspect of Naruto, it's not just emotions I meant. It's the topics and themes Kishimoto picks, and the relationships the characters have with each other.[/b
]

What topics in particular? The decline in the sudden ninja system that wasn't elaborated but was supposed to be set at the start to elongate the story? What is it?

Quote:
Well, let’s see. I’m praising it obviously because unlike you I don’t see poorly constructed development, nor do I see these characters never having a “true” purpose in the story again. The characters I had in mind when I made that statement are pretty much the Rookie 9, their sensei, as well as Jiraiya and Tsunade. Kishimoto hasn’t just introduced one and then thrown them away never to been seen again, they interact and help out Naruto often, and also help progress the story.

What are you taking about?

Quote:
He has developed an insanely huge cast, and yet has somehow managed to make each and every one of them so interesting to the point that I really don’t care when it veers off from Naruto or Sasuke, and that when one of the supporting side characters suddenly get a chapter that progresses that character’s development that suddenly I find myself so touched by what we’ve just learned that I have new favorite character

ait. They didn't develop in any meaningful way during the first time skip, and you think another one will help matters?

The side characters will never do anything of consequence again. EVER. Despite the fact that they have more personality and are more interesting, and had co-star status in part 1, Kishi has officially ditched them. Ignoring them for 200 chapters was an obvious sign, but Pain's invasion, where he had 6 bodies with different abilities was the perfect time for the sub cast to shine and do... stuff. But no, they just stood back, because "They'll just get in Naruto's way." No time skip is going to fix the author not caring about them.

Again. The side characters will never do anything of consequence again. Naruto and Sasuke are the only ones on level to fight anybody of power now.

Sakura might yet get a power up when Tsunade is killed, but... this is Shonen. Girls suck in shonen. Series is heading for its conclusion, Naruto and Sasuke have 3 or 4 major fights left between them. (including between each other.) Assuming there isn't a giant beast in the moon, this series can be wrapped in about a year. Side cast won't get involved, especially now.

Quote:
Besides that… “A poorly portrayed debacle that should have been protrayed of the course of the story? Its Kishi's attempt to add artificial emotion to a plain lifeless attack on a fictional village.” - …What? Again, you’re confusing me with what you’re trying to convey. Please, some of us have been exposed to English for a while, but your use of the language is apparently a level I have yet to encounter, and it’s just baffling me. For us not of similar minds, maybe you can use layman’s terms? I understand how your question has a connection to what I said in that paragraph, but you lost me after that. Something about how Kishimoto portrayed an attack on Konoha… and it being a fictional village which we’re all aware of ... that’s all I got.

I apolgize. I am kinda tired from working so cut me some slack lad.
I will go off to a elaboration

+Naruto is off on a training mission. Nothing new or unusual about that, but its with frogs, and he's going to master Juraiya's techniques, which is kinda cool. (why he didn't do this during the 3 year time skip, I dunno.)
-The entire village doing a lousy job defending itself, surprise attack or not, they had a much better showing during the Orochimaru invasion
-Kakashi's final fight, despite being in the series since the start and one of the elites, and one of the best characters, was pathetic and short. Roughly six pages and two attacks over three chapters or so.
-The complete lack of any competant fighters, with anbu and Chunin alike failing to do much of anything. None of the previous central characters, like Shikimaru, Rock Lee, Kiba, or Neji, even get fights
-ten year old Konohamaru EXACTLY copying Naruto's fighting style with rip off moves
-----somewhere around this point, Naruto realizes he can somehow cheat at his training using his copies. The specifics have not been explained yet, but the exact same phrase of "look left and right at the same time" sets it up. Incredibly lame because thats how Naruto cheats at everything. This bad execution gets extra negatives.
-The entire village respecting and admiring Naruto, and counting on him as the next hokage and their only hope, despite there never being an onscreen instance prior where they displayed such respect or assurance that Naruto was by far their superior. At best up till then, Naruto had been on several risky missions and shown the ability to learn difficult moves quickly, nothing on the scale of him being more capable than an entire village of ninja.
-This sudden respect is especially bad, since Naruto earning the respect of the village is one of his key motivations, and one of the major points of the entire story. For all the respect to slide in off camera in one chapter of flashbacks instead of along the way is bad execution. It really should have been happening along the way.
-Kakashi dies (maybe) but Choji's father survives, wha?
-Pig girl is randomly killed in a single panel, just because? wha?
-Pains sidekick Konan, despite a cool looking power... doing NOTHING
-Pain being a lackluster villain with little to no personality, motivation, or interesting design. (Except Sock Pain. If all the Pains had that amazing crazy grin, he'd be a WAY more interesting and fun villain, sewing chaos for fun... instead of emo.)
-Hell Pain being super cheap in that he keeps undoing the work thats already been done by reviving already beaten opponents.
+++Characters that were once central like Lee, Shino and Kiba (and their similar ability parents/mentors!) FINALLY show up and are reintroduced in one chapter, promising to show off and have grand battles as the badass elite reinforcement main character that they are, that we've been waiting nearly 200 chapters to see back in action again!!! Bonus pluses there, we've been waiting since the Sasuke retrieval arc to see these guys do stuff again! GREAT!!!
----...only they are to be forgotten about completley in the next chapter when....
-Pain uses an all out self damaging nuke move to destroy the village in what was basically a last resort maneuver... even though he had completley owned everyone up to that point
+(notice the pluses in this general area) the nuking of Konoha is VERY visually impressive to look at,
-The nuking of Konohoa has no heart, drama or worry to it, as we see Sakura is fine in the same chapter, and apparently the only injury sustained in the entire city wide blast was Shikimaru broke his leg.
+ Naruto shows up and proceeds to one hit various Pains in satisfying fashion
+Naruto shows mastery over moves he failed with before and actual strategy
+Naruto makes some awesome visual spectacle fun to watch badassery
+kickass giant frogs
=Naruto uses up all his energy with flashy fireball attacks, apparently no plan to compensate for what happens after he runs out, when it SEEMS like he could have done the same with hand-hand. This is acceptable, as it would be boring if he completley hosed the battle like he did against 5-hearts guy and its a shonen back and forth. This is still a wait or see, depending on how he fares next week. If Naruto completley sucks again after, this becomes a negative.
-Shikimaru is specifically told "Stay away, you'll just get in the way, he's past our level" in the SAME chapter Naruto loses that advantage. If others jump in and help Naruto after specifically saying not to, extra negative.

So... yeah. I like the series. Its done some good stuff in the last bunch of chapters. But its also wasted a lot of potential and done quite a few things badly. We all liked the series at one point, enough to read it this far. If we're critical of it, its only because its disappointing and not living up to its potential. On the good weeks, we compliment it! Fair is fair.
__

Quote:
Philosophy is cliché’ now too is it? Gods now, don’t I absolutely HATE being connected to or interested in anything so commonplace! Let me go inform my philosophy professor the news so that he can go and find another job, and then we can all just… live the moment and not contemplate on anything, or think about the cause of actions. That sounds like a gleefully unexciting, boring, safe, unquestioning existence. Oh boy, I can’t wait.

Um, I never said philosophy was a cliche.....

Quote:
And I'm not saying philosophy in comics is a unique concept with Naruto. Far from it. For me to LIKE a comic usually implies it's heavy in philosophy. I love comics that make you think and make parallels to real life, and Naruto has philosophy dripping from it's imaginary pores while it parades itself as a comic for children. Sure, you have the obvious points of it with Pain, like you mentioned, with the typical ethics, and it does seem a bit preachy at times, but I've never been one to skirt from someone trying to teach me something. Even so, what I like on top of that is that is Kishimoto has also been infusing Buddhist philosophy from volume 1, as well as elemental and natural balance, especially as of lately with the frogs

Not an excuse It really depends on how the comic can balance it without feeling too forced.

Quote:
[b]And here I thought you said the side-characters were all pointless and useless? Aren't you contradicting yourself?

When did I say that?

Quote:
Anyway, all I got out of the Chunin exams was one mindless fight after another. It was dull, boring, with no story really to help support it, and really bugged the patience of one reading the comic for story instead of OMFG awesome fight scenes between pre-teen ninjas. Semi-realism? In the Forest of Death with curse marks and a boring as hell tournament? But oh, putting in a plot to kill the Hokage makes it all better[/b]!
Quote:
Yet Akatsuki, the Ninja wars, and the current attack on Konoha don’t speak of realism and politics?
Please. There’s politics in most every story line that has popped up in Naruto. These are little villages going up against other little villages, with secret organizations out to to interfere with these little village wars. It is all politics. Try looking at the other arcs of Naruto with as much of an attempt you made with the Chuunin arc and maybe you’d surprise yourself with what you missed by not paying attention

No real plot to support it?
Orochimaru's conspiracy to kill the hokage? Destroy the leaf? The subplot with Gaara? Mystery around subplot around Kabuto?

Why would I care about a hack organization run by a unconvincing,laughable villain with a lame unconvincing pathos. Which was supposed to be a strong organization but got turned into a disappointing

[/b]
bahamut623

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, no need to get so bent out of shape. Shonen is just supposed to be fun. No matter how great or unique you think a certain shonen series might be, it will inevitably fall into some of the cliches. That's probably one of the main reasons we read shonen. We know what to expect, but it's exactly what we want.
Different people like different things, that's that. I would choose Bleach and One Piece over Naruto any day, but I could perfectly understand someone preferring Naruto to either of them. Any series that lasts that long has to have a certain degree of quality to it, even if you don't seem to see it yourself.
One of the things I hate most about anime forums or anime discussions is how they all become hate fests.
Barciad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:22 am Reply with quote
Trying to argue why some things are popular and something aren't. Pointless, totally pointless. Eva, was popular get used to it. Haruhi Suzumiya was popular, get used to it. And Naruto. Naruto is popular, end of.
Why is it popular? No idea. It just is, and no amount of analysis is going to change that. Not everything in this world has to be highbrow, aloof, and capable of withstanding all rigerous critical scrutiny. I mean, more than ten seconds under the microscope and Naruto falls to pieces.
This was something that wasn't meant to go under the microscope. Populist, mainstream, and mass-market mean exactly what they say. Get used to it.
Ganryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I disagree with the review.

The manga has essentially been twisted, imo, to focus entirely on Konoha and the Uchiha clan. Part one was about Orochimaru trying to get the sharingan and avenging Konoha, and Part 2 was for a while about an awesome guy Pain trying to get the Kyuubi. But then with Madara's appearance the story reverted to being about exactly the same thing as part 1. Some mofo from Konoha who's pissed off and wants Sasuke and some shit about sharingan.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Ganryu wrote:

The manga has essentially been twisted, imo, to focus entirely on Konoha and the Uchiha clan. Part one was about Orochimaru trying to get the sharingan and avenging Konoha, and Part 2 was for a while about an awesome guy Pain trying to get the Kyuubi. But then with Madara's appearance the story reverted to being about exactly the same thing as part 1. Some mofo from Konoha who's pissed off and wants Sasuke and some shit about sharingan.

I wouldn't say I agree with that: the manga has always focused heavily on Konoha and the Sharingan/Uchihas, not just in part one, but part two as well. You yourself admit that it was a big focus for part one, so I'll mainly talk about part two now.

In part two, Pain was for the most part just a shadowy figure leading Akatasuki, his identity unknown and even his name unknown. His goal was a fairly generic one, or so it seemed at first, and it wasn't even revealed until a fair ways into part two. And while Pain was later developed more, the scene with Madara Uchiha giving him orders occured before that, so one should have been able to guess that Madara was heavily involved. Heck, Madara Uchiha made his appearance in the first chapter after we even found out Pain's name!

Regardless, long before any of that happened, the Uchihas, and the Sharingan, was still a huge part of the manga's focus. And so was Konoha. Even when Gaara, from the sand village, was captured, who was it who rescued him? Konoha of course.

And even though Akatsuki was a big threat to all ninja villages, their goal supposedly world domination, we saw little sign of that. As I said, we saw some brief involvement between them and the Sand, but then again, the Sand was also the one village other than Konoha to get focused on much in part one too. Aside from that, we got brief scene where two members fought a Cloud ninja, and that was it. No sign of any aftermath, no sign of the Cloud village reacting. spoiler[At least not until chapters that take place after these volumes.] It was always Konoha making an effort to deal with Akatsuki. At least now, with some of the chapters after this volume, there is spoiler[signs that the Cloud village is actually doing something to deal with Akatsuki now.]

And there was still plenty of Sharingan and Uchiha stuff. The whole attempt to rescue Sasuke from Orochimaru. Sasuke's later battle with Orochimaru. The discovery that even Deidara had a connection to the Sharingan, and a hatred for it. (Though that one line he told Sasuke has to make him a beloved character for all Sasuke haters now.) The Nine Tails cryptic references to Madara Uchiha. The fact that there were still multiple Uchiha/Sharingan related mysteries from part one that had yet to be answered.

I know some people seem to hate the idea that an Uchiha might be the final villian, but acting like it's something that should be unexpected, or that it's something that doesn't fall in line with the way the manga was set up is absurd.
Ganryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Mad Scientist: I phrased myself badly. I will elaborate better.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
Ganryu wrote:

I wouldn't say I agree with that: the manga has always focused heavily on Konoha and the Sharingan/Uchihas, not just in part one, but part two as well. You yourself admit that it was a big focus for part one, so I'll mainly talk about part two now.

That's exactly what I mean. My point is that the manga was ABOUT to turn into something interesting and something entirely unrelated to the specifics of Konoha and the Uchiha, and then Madara appears and ruins everything.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
In part two, Pain was for the most part just a shadowy figure leading Akatasuki, his identity unknown and even his name unknown. His goal was a fairly generic one, or so it seemed at first, and it wasn't even revealed until a fair ways into part two. And while Pain was later developed more, the scene with Madara Uchiha giving him orders occured before that, so one should have been able to guess that Madara was heavily involved. Heck, Madara Uchiha made his appearance in the first chapter after we even found out Pain's name!

EXACTLY.

The story starts off being about a villain who's focused on the Uchiha and Konoha. Then we get the timeskip while being aware that SOMEONE has to be leading Akatsuki. Then we learn that the AL is someone entirely new. This means we now have a villain who likely has NOTHING to do with Konoha, Sharingan and Uchiha...

And then we learn that he's just a figurehead and everything is back to square one: Konoha and Uchiha.

That's just an idiotic twist.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Ganryu wrote:

EXACTLY.

The story starts off being about a villain who's focused on the Uchiha and Konoha. Then we get the timeskip while being aware that SOMEONE has to be leading Akatsuki. Then we learn that the AL is someone entirely new. This means we now have a villain who likely has NOTHING to do with Konoha, Sharingan and Uchiha...

And then we learn that he's just a figurehead and everything is back to square one: Konoha and Uchiha.

That's just an idiotic twist.

I understand your points a bit better now, though I still disagree somewhat. Maybe that's because I rather like Madara as a villian, though, especially after learning some of the stuff in the most recent databook.

With Pain, while it was possible he had nothing to do with Konoha, at first we didn't even know that for sure. Heck, there were quite a few people who thought he was Naruto's father. Very Happy I see you got your hopes up and they got dashed, and thus you're annoyed. But I would agree with your point a bit more had Pain gotten some real development (confirming he wasn't associated with Konoha and stuff, as well as developing him as seemingly the major villian) before Madara made his appearance.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
I can't believe people even spend money on these comics.

But anyway, Naruto isn't as popular as people think, and no where near that size of popularity that floats around in adolescent minds ...but, it has gone mainstream as a comic in the U.S., though most do. In the '40s Superman exploded on the scene, in the '60s-70s Spider-Man dominated the table, then come Hulk, Batman, Fantastic Four, in the early '90s X-Men stood out, then Dragonball hit the scene, and even at one point One Piece as a comic.

None of this stuff surrounding Naruto people over dramatize is impressive. There are tons and tons of franchises more successful than Naruto, and in plenty more mediums, and were still in times the economy wasn't as bad as it is now. Naruto isn't even the best-selling anime in America, nor do its toys or video-games sell well. I can think of at least one more successful anime franchise (Dragonball), and one that never had a proper chance: One Piece.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
Obviously not a fan, I take it.

You know, the issue of popularity isn't what most people were discussing, though it was referenced in the review, so I can understand you commenting on that. But... you said a lot, and didn't give any sources. I'm I just supposed to take your word that Naruto isn't that popular?

I can look at ANN's main page right now, and see that on the New York Times list of bestselling manga, various Naruto volumes have 7 of the 10 positions, including the top 6. That's right, the top 6 bestselling manga the week of April 18 were all Naruto. And if I follow the links back, I can see the Naruto has dominated that list week after week, having multiples volumes on it each time, and always holding either the number 1 or 2 spot (or both).

I'm sure Dragonball was big at times, but so what? Even if it did sell more in its prime, that's hardly a big criticism of Naruto. Dragonball/DBZ might just be the best selling anime/manga of all time (I'm not sure), and if it isn't, I bet it's pretty close. You might as well use the ratings of the final episode of the Fugitive to say that any particular tv show isn't popular.

And One Piece? I love it, I like it better than Naruto by a fair amount, but the fact is: it isn't as popular. Saying "it never had a proper chance" is meaningless, I can use that to argue for any series. It isn't as popular as Naruto (in the US). Period.
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:05 am Reply with quote
Well let's see, Dragonball DVD releases are still among the top 30 overall DVD videos sales, the Dragonball video-game series is the 12th best-selling video-game franchise in America, where Naruto can't be placed in the same league as any of these things Dragonball is in. In its prime, Dragonball was outselling all comic, cartoon, toyline and game properties / franchises. Do research, you'll find the proof.

This is a level of success, abroad, that Naruto has never reached (even in its prime). While its manga sells, that doesn't mean that it works well in other mediums- the anime series never performed well on television in America, and it's apparently scoring lower than Pokemon in Japan, where Dragon Ball Kai, the essential rerun of Dragon Ball, is out-performing even One Piece.

Comic book hype died out for awhile, but in case you're unaware, things like X-Men and Dragonball made New York Times best-seller lists, too, and it'll be awhile before Naruto catches up to Dragonball's world-wide manga sales record, or any other comic property records, for that matter.

Dragonball is more par with Star Wars or X-Men overall, where Naruto is more in the strict, comic-based success category. The thing about Naruto, is it's generally overhyped by the online fandom.

The message here, is to show you that most franchises are successful enough to perform well in at least one aspect, though only few take the cake.

I was a fan of Naruto, until it turned into a total emo bloodbath. And from what I've learned about Naruto, Masashi basically took some of Dragonball's best character-oriented qualities and wrote a story a little more grounded, when Dragonball took only one route at a certain juncture due to what its hardcore fanbase wanted.

And just to help clarify certain statistics, that sort of trend you see where Naruto volumes sell consecutively, ties well in that appeal from the audience that they keep returning to continue reading the story. Again, this isn't unusual for comic fans to continue reading a comic, and it's very common when there really isn't that much material out there of interest to start.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm assuming that you're saying all this in response to the people that say Naruto is this generation's DBZ? Well, it pretty much is. In America at least. I guess another way of putting it is "what is this generation's gateway drug?"

When people say that statement, they don't try to compare it on a global level, they compare to other anime/manga franchises and how well they perform in the U.S, and what's the series that most of the new generation of fans are being introduced by today.

Seeing as how it's consistenly been the 2nd best-selling anime and the best-selling manga for a while now and it's the franchise that's getting the most exposure nowadays over many types of media, then I'd say that it's fairly accurate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Regarding One-Piece's relative lack of popularity in the US, I think a couple things may have hurt it.

One, it's artstyle definitely takes some getting used to. It turned me off of the series initially, even though now I love it.

Two, I imagine a successful anime run can help fuel the popularity of a series. The run dubbed Naruto had on CN may have had some issues, especially in the early episodes, but it was still a competent production that I enjoyed, and that helped fuel my interest in anime in general. One Piece's run in the 4kids days... well, I can't imagine that being very popular.

Back on topic, this is definitely an interesting series of chapters for Naruto. Some people hate it, and I have to admit that I didn't like some parts of it: I wasn't a big fan of the Jiraiya/Pain fight, for whatever reason. But I love Madara Uchiha as a villian now after his more complete reveal and his talk with Sasuke.

Unfortunately it's cause of the 4kids version that cause the downfall of one piece even though i'd liked them at one time but stopped after seeing how superior the funimation versions was.Not to mentioned CN being chicken footed on showing the uncut versions.

Either way it was really a shock on the story's twist which i won't spoil

, but lets just say that from what i've read so far, Naruto will probably do for US anime for this generation like what DBZ and Gundam Wing did in the 90's,for the core fanboys catagory that is.

In other words, A DEFINATE MUST HAVE!!!!!

As for Madara,he's a decent villian but compared to the other villians,I don't think so.but the real question is how will the anime version handle the voice for Madara,especially the US popular english dub version since no one knows who'll be voicing the 4th, or team heibi/team taka.

Also It's too bad that there's none of that for the core fangirl catagory like what the sailor moon series did in the 90's as well,though i'd kinda hoped Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha would be that series,if people wasn't going midevil about it's mild lolicon fanservice in season 1 that is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SS_Vegeta

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:28 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I'm assuming that you're saying all this in response to the people that say Naruto is this generation's DBZ? Well, it pretty much is. In America at least. I guess another way of putting it is "what is this generation's gateway drug?"

When people say that statement, they don't try to compare it on a global level, they compare to other anime/manga franchises and how well they perform in the U.S, and what's the series that most of the new generation of fans are being introduced by today.

Seeing as how it's consistenly been the 2nd best-selling anime and the best-selling manga for a while now and it's the franchise that's getting the most exposure nowadays over many types of media, then I'd say that it's fairly accurate.

You're very incorrect. Dragonball saw much promotion in America- promotional campaigns were launched through Burger King and McDonald's. DBZ landed the #1 TV show, its toys were hot-sellers, games were among the highest-selling games on the market. It was just way more mainstream than Naruto ever was in America- Naruto never excelled in the areas DBZ did.

Mainstream comic book isn't the same thing, and selling well as a comic but in no other remarkable way, isn't very impressive at all.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 2:29 pm Reply with quote
What? It doesn't matter if Naruto was more mainstream than DBZ or not. I'm not even trying to make the case that Naruto is a cultural phenomenon or anything.

Pay attention to what I said, especially the part where I say

Quote:
..and what's the series that most of the new generation of fans are being introduced by today.

And I said what's getting the most exposure now, not compared to what DBZ got 7 or 8 years ago.

SS_Vegeta wrote:
DBZ landed the #1 TV show...

No, it didn't. It was number #1 among tweens 9-14, boys 9-14, and men 12-24 for the month of September 2002. It wasn't the #1 show overall.

If it was, it would have been noted on the booklet that FUNi handed out on the crappy season sets. >.>
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
None of big mangas ever had such a bold, daring plotline which kills many loved characters.

You basically can not name a single big-scale manga that would dare to do it, period.

And, while the likes of Mad Scientist write that Itichi's disclosed good will made him "a cliche" bad-to-good personage, the main dramatic move was that absolutely no one, including Mad Scientist, expected things to turn out the way Kishimoto planned.

It is also funny to see people calling whatever characters or story developments "a cliche" since all possible variants were long expired decades ago. You can not find a single thing that could not be called "cliche", including all those "better" Kenshins, Hunders and such.

So yes, Naruto is the boldest and the most daring story of all that were mentioned in this thread. And it is not stated so because someone likes it or not, but because the fact of what happens is the storyline is bold. Again: never once a that big manga had so much braveness.

Also, Naruto is the only that much deeply and consistently (with limitations, of course) developed project in terms of its world's pseudoscience. Even Hunter and Hunter, which one of the strongest pieces of art ever, is somewhat less detailed and developed.

(Not to say Natuto is perfect, of course.)
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5