• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Spotlight Fall 2012 - The List

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
You shouldn't be turned off to Onii-ai because it has incest.

You should be turned off to it because it's a completely generic harem comedy. Even the guy who translated the novels gave up after #3 because he found it boring.
superdry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Oniai looks cute and seems like a fun, light-hearted romcom. Hopefully the execution is better than Mayo Chiki since it's the same director.

Its something I'll at least check out (not expecting anything great out of the show...hopefully it can be entertaining like NakaImo) and it's a MF Bunko J title (I follow Media Factory stuff so I'm usually interested in what they publish).
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote
based on this

animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime/upcoming/tv

it looks like it has more good shows than last season and many different options for different people this season. ALot of Maybe for me this season.

I will probably just stay with Bakuman season 3 for now.
opn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Oniai - Not my type of show but im giving it a chance.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:05 am Reply with quote
Oniai - the Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru! of Fall. I'm curious on how it goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daichi383

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote
Still don't understand why people even give these incest harem comedies the time of day. Maybe its because i have 2 sisters and that s*** just looks creepy as hell to me but whatever. Hope something interesting is brought to my attention this time round. Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:33 am Reply with quote
Quote:
He's a sophomore at Saint Liliana Academy with average looks and average grades.

An average bland guy who nonetheless will be the relentless focus of several girls lustful desires? Wow, didn't see that coming. Lest my sarcasm be deceiving, let me point out that I will be test-driving this one. The Predator sounds like my kinda gal.
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:46 am Reply with quote
Anyone else mistake OniAi for Onani? Can't shake the feeling that was partly intentional.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:54 am Reply with quote
PlatinumHawke wrote:
Anyone else mistake OniAi for Onani? Can't shake the feeling that was partly intentional.

Wouldn't surprise me.

Similar logic went into Onii-chan no Koto's abbreviation being "Ochinko"
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Quote:
He's a sophomore at Saint Liliana Academy with average looks and average grades.

An average bland guy who nonetheless will be the relentless focus of several girls lustful desires? Wow, didn't see that coming. Lest my sarcasm be deceiving, let me point out that I will be test-driving this one. The Predator sounds like my kinda gal.

I always know they're gonna be mediocre to bad, but I can't stop watching them. It's like candy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I always know they're gonna be mediocre to bad, but I can't stop watching them. It's like candy.

More like cough syrup; tastes awful but some people get addicted anyway.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 am Reply with quote
I don't care if zetsuen is a trainwreck. I usually have a good tolerance for trainwrecks and I haven't even seen the first episode so I'm gonna wait.

regarding oniai, after reading about the girls surrounding the protagonist....other than the little sister, the rest bore me. (-_-)
and wow. couldn't make the male protagonist a little interesting could you? No. Be it male harem or female harem the character is usually flat.

Still cringing at how poorly hagure yuusha is gonna sell...now that show had a protagonist worth watching. now, by no means am I saying his perverted behavior is acceptable...its just a nice change from all the wimps we usually get.

but, I will give oniai a chance. the art is to die for....everything is SO CUTE!!! Embarassed but I hope the male protagonist is not a doormat.

so what's next? K Project? Btoom? Little Busters? Surprised
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:25 am Reply with quote
Blast of Tempest sounds... really silly, but that's the translation's fault. Ideally, if this goes any further, somebody will at some point be allowed to come up with something better. There's some interest there and throwing some of the Bard on could make for a lark. I like the grandeur and slightly mythological feel that some of the trailer gave off. It could end overwrought and some of the talk about the vagaries of the source material are worrying, but I think that it's ambitions might make it worth a chance. Plus: People got stuffed into barrels! How often do we get that?

"The Civilization Blaster," sounds like the title for an unauthorized Chinese Sid Meier's Civilization spin-off.

ONIAI seems awfully... bouncy.

Blood- wrote:
The Predator sounds like my kinda gal.

*Wantonly divorces statement from context*

So, you like heavily-armed women who can turn invisible and are hunting you for sport?

Yeah, that sounds like you.

phoenixalia wrote:
so what's next? K Project? Btoom? Little Busters? Surprised

I almost hope that it will be K, because it's be nice to be told something of what the heck it's about and who those people are. At this point, it might as well be Gabbo: The Animation. When people play that coy for this long about a show or film's story, I get a little dubious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:49 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

I almost hope that it will be K, because it's be nice to be told something of what the heck it's about and who those people are. .

if it helps any,the first chapter of the manga spin-off is out.
duckroll

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
duckroll wrote:
Blast of Tempest? Lol wut?

Really, sometimes its better to leave the title in Japanese instead of rendering it into stupid English.

And if you do have to translate it, you don't have to copy the Japanese grammar -- The Tempest Blast has the same meaning and actually sounds like real English. Still not a great title, but at least it's not going to make it on Engrish.com.

But that's not what it means. Zetsuen in the title is a made up compound word in Japanese. It has no specific translatable meaning. It's mean to be a sort of name. There is no way at all that 絶園 translates to blast in any way. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 39