• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Bosch Spice

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elves

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Hey Justin, Zac, all the ANNcasts are great. I'm especially enjoying the podcasts - particularly when I'm out and about with my ipod. Which brings me to this point: Is there any way you can equalize the volume throughout the interviews, breaks, and intro in post production? I had a hard time hearing a lot of what Johnny was saying on this last ANNcast, and strained to hear him when he got quieter then I got blared out by someone else's comment which was twice as loud. I totally understand that where you sit in relationship to the mic plays a big part as to how loud a person's voice is, but for the sake of my eardrums...please make the volume more consistent. I'd appreciate it a lot! Thanks!

I've listened to all four podcasts and enjoyed them very much. You've got the right amount of news, banter, seriousness, fun, and fan questions in your mix. I have a ball every time I listen, and I'm sure the people around me wonder what the heck I'm laughing at with my headphones on. lol Keep up the good work and thanks for producing ANNcast! Very Happy
theloniustrebonius

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I myself am at a point where social stigma don't really concern me. I like what I like, and feel that there is a limit to keeping up appearances.

Amen! The nice thing is, no matter how weird or ecoteric or just plain terrible one's tastes are, there are 6 billion people on this planet: someone is going to agree.
Quote:
the tendency of people taking to heart the 'fiction' element of science fiction isn't something I'd be swift to blame on directorial staff.

Me neither, and that wasn't my intention. It is, after all, science fiction. Both of those words are equally important in describing the genre. With the exception of some very successful directors and studios, creators tend to be slaves to their audiences. "Putting sound in space will get us how many more viewers!? Damn, I guess we're putting sound in space, then." I think that the tendency to be misled by sci-fi is a societal condition and certainly not something that sci-fi writers created (although some certainly don't help).
While I'm at it, I'd like to mention a funny "physics-be-damned" moment in a main-stream sci-fi show. The show is Stargate Atlantis. At one point, an SGC (Stargate Command) space ship is being chased by some mean old aliens. The captain decides to cut power to the engines to bolster rear shields. Immediately upon cutting power to the engines, the ship grinds to a dead halt in space Laughing A lot of fluid drag out there in vacuum, I guess.
Quote:
Yes, Eric Vale is a fantastic screenwriter. Rumbling Hearts and Gunslinger Girl - two other gems of his - easily rank among my top candidates for Best Dub. (Along with the likes of Eva, the modern Ghost in the Shell, Streamline's Akira (which is how I am familiar with Johnny Yong Bosch to begin with), and Steamboy, among others.)

I've liked the dubs for most Mamoru Oshii films. I think Blood: The Last Vampire was questionable, but that was a Team Oshii thing. Patlabor II is just unfair in its quality.
Quote:
NO. They like the FLCL dub because the actors sound EXACTLY like their Japanese counterparts. Voice, delivery, everything. Never mind that it doesn't sound like a normal voice for the english language, they're just happy that the VAs are imitating the speech patterns of the Japanese in the english language, no matter how screwy that ends up sounding. If it were any other show but FLCL it'd be a terrible idea. The acting styles and vocal associations with archetypes are just very very different.

So I think the FLCL dub is fine, but it REALLY bugs me for that reason. Those particular purists will only like something if english people are copying the general sounds of japanese people rather than acting.

Eh, I'd be careful in speaking so matter-of-factly, especially on the subject of other peoples' opinions. You'd be surprised what people like and why they like it. Best to take things on a person-by-person basis, or just altogether abandon the exercise of speaking on behalf of others.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm Reply with quote
theloniustrebonius wrote:

Eh, I'd be careful in speaking so matter-of-factly, especially on the subject of other peoples' opinions. You'd be surprised what people like and why they like it. Best to take things on a person-by-person basis, or just altogether abandon the exercise of speaking on behalf of others.

Well said.

For my part JesuOtaku did hit on part of it though. For me the actual "delivery" of the dubs is important. Depanning or failed attempts at generating emotion/spirit is usually what makes me hit my audio button on my DVD remote. I think more then the "purist" remark, FLCL's dub kept in spirit as to what the original was. "Purist" would probably dislike FLCL for all the joke rewrites and whatnot. I think its also why the FMA, Code Geass, GiTS, and Fruit Basket are generally respected dubs even into more "I prefer subtitles" groups. There are rewrites and the english VA's have their own take on characters to an extent but each one kept to the spirit of the series and original work.

And I agree about Desert Punks too. It's also more of a testament to the skills of the VAs and crew when they don't have to deal with issues of lip synching all the time. Same goes with the GiTS series too since they used alot of internal dialogue. They were great dubs that really fluanted the english dubber skills but stayed faithful to the spirit of the series.
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In terms of worst English dub, I'd give it to Fantastic Children. Already tragic that it was so overlooked, but giving it such an awful dub was even worse. Hopefully dub fans allowed themselves to view the sub so they could at least properly enjoy this underrated gem

Very much agreed, and I'm glad someone else agrees with me on this. There are very few dubs I won't watch, but FC was one of them. I lasted about 10 episodes and just couldn't take it anymore. It was absolutely horrible. It's one thing for a show to use goofy voices for random side characters who don't have major roles, but for literally the entire cast to sound like they were half-retarded was unforgivable. Oh, and the main character, Toma, and his indecipherable, loudmouth-accent-from-hell absolutely irritated the crap out of me.

That said, I loved the Eva dub. Razz
theloniustrebonius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
For my part JesuOtaku did hit on part of it though. For me the actual "delivery" of the dubs is important.

Here, here! I heartily third this opinion. When I watch a dub, I know almost instantly if I will enjoy it. I knew I would dislike Eva the moment I heard Misato's voice. That's not a measured criticism, just a reaction.
Most of the time I prefer subtitles for this simple reason: even if the Japanese VAs are speaking awkward, stitled, Japanese, I won't know! (I don't speak Japanese). I read the subtitles with my mind's voice, which is colored in broad strokes by the VAs' acting (sad, angry, happy, etc). Obviously, I'm oversimplifying things (subtleties in tone do come across in Japanese), but that's basically it. When a good dub is available, I prefer to watch in the dub so that my eyes aren't always flitting to the bottom of the screen.[/quote]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4