• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka Seven - good night, sleep tight, young lovers -

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g*ni

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Then you weren't paying attention, because they did address it again, just much more subtly. [...] I am absolutely certain I am not misremembering on this, as I was specifically looking for that kind of attention to detail in both scenes and was pleased to see that it was there.

Good eye, Key. You are absolutely correct. Although Anemone does not have a ring in her eyes-- its just a long red line.

Also I do apologize if it seems like I'm trolling this thread. I just happen to like the E7 franchise that much Smile
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:40 am Reply with quote
Just to give some perspective:

I saw the movie with my fiance who is not an anime fan and has therefore NEVER seen any Eureka SeveN. He thought the movie was really confusing and pointed out all the plotholes - and there were tons. I think they tried to make the story too complicated for a 2 hour run ... and I agree that there was so much TALKING that was necessary to explain everything - it's better to SHOW than to TELL. There was just so much to follow. Reading through these comments, I realized that I had completely forgotten about the circles in Eureka's eyes, because they didn't really mention them again.

I mean, I enjoyed the movie overall, but if you REALLY think about it - it doesn't make much sense.

spoiler[What exactly happened at the end? How did Eureka sacrificing her memories/self save Renton? Where the hell did Anemone go? Did she die? Or just disappear? What was the point of the experiment that they were doing that made the Gekko state people age quickly? Are the Eizo still going to attack? Or did Eureka send her memories to theM? And again, how does that relate to saving Renton? Why is Eureka now Chii? lol jk.]

I think there were plotholes in the series, but it didn't matter as much, because the focus was on character development and romance. Which there was really none of in the movie - you just had to take for granted that Renton and Eureka loved each other, as did Dominic and Anemone.

I really wanted to like the movie more, because I love Eureka Seven, but honestly and objectively, the movie was NOT that great. Sad[/spoiler]
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm still keen on seeing this even if everyone else seems to be ripping on it so much. I guess a 2 hour movie can't do what a 50 episode TV series (can a movie ever really surpass a series I wonder?), but I'm still curious as how this plays out.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And this is why I specifically threw in that Escaflowne comparison. Those who despised that movie for its radical reinterpretation of the source series - a reaction I've never understood, as the movie (which I saw first) is an awesome stand-alone effort - will probably also be miffed at this one and for pretty much the same reasons.

A lot of it comes down to how sacred you hold the source material, an issue which is also at the heart of the insistence by many that anime adaptations rarely or never live up to their source manga and perhaps even the most stubborn complaints of purists about how English dubs never match up to the originals. I usually love radical reinterpretations because I delight in seeing how characters and circumstances might turn out differently with a different approach, so people like me will love this. People more inclined to think that the original way is the only right way won't.

And really, it's been my experience that the series-based movies which flop are ones which specifically try to condense the same story the series told (although E7 could stand to be condensed some!) or merely just be the same kind of thing you see in the episodes. The better ones are the ones which use the same characters but follow their own path.

Actually, I can handle a retelling or reimagining when it's done well. What I didn't like about the Escaflowne movie was that they took a rich setting and great characters and soured all of that, while trying to supplement the loss of those elements with improved visual quality. The setting of the Escaflowne film did not effectively mirror the diversity seen in the series. What's worse is they got rid of a number of great characters, including one of the more well done antagonists in some time, and then took the characters that were left and turned them in to completely generic and cliche personalities. Then they replaced the antagonist of the series with one of the more interesting characters from the series, and wiped out the elements that made him so interesting in the process.

My problem wasn't so much in it not being just like the source material, not at all. I wouldn't want to see a movie that just condenses the content of a series, those pretty much never work out. My problem was that they dumbed down the entire thing and didn't replace it with anything more than improved visuals. This is what I'm afraid of finding in the the Eureka Seven movie. I expect changes in a film like this, since it's being reimagined, I'd just rather not see it if it's just going to be done like the Escaflowne film; a whole lot of flash and the rest is stripped away.

Personally though, I'm not a huge fan of movies that try to condense a series, or movies that try to reimagine it. Most of these series have some open ended elements, and many provide plenty of material to branch from and make a film. If they need to make a film for a successful and well established series, then they should make a film that adds to it like the Cowboy Bebop movie, instead of just trying to warp it and then retell it. Eureka Seven, in spite of its length, had a lot of branches that could have been more fleshed out, and the ending itself was pretty open. There was a lot there they could have worked with to simply add to the series, whether by expanding on the ending or filling in a gap in the series like Cowboy Bebop did. The whole retelling thing just seems pointless to me when there are better options available that wouldn't alienate so many of the fans the film would depend on.

Anyways, sorry for my delayed response. I kept meaning to respond and kept getting pulled from the computer before I had the chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shoelip

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Right, it's not like there are only two options when making an anime film. You can reimagine it, which can be good if done well. You can retell a stripped down version of the series, which generally isn't that good no matter how well it's done. You can retell a specific portion of the series like they've done with Evangelion, though I'm not sure how that's going since I haven't seen it. You can tell a new story with the same characters and setting like Cowboy Bebop did. You can tell a continuation of the story like Fullmetal Alchemist Conquerer of Shambala or GITS SAC Solid State Society.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Actually, I can handle a retelling or reimagining when it's done well. What I didn't like about the Escaflowne movie was that they took a rich setting and great characters and soured all of that, while trying to supplement the loss of those elements with improved visual quality. The setting of the Escaflowne film did not effectively mirror the diversity seen in the series. What's worse is they got rid of a number of great characters, including one of the more well done antagonists in some time, and then took the characters that were left and turned them in to completely generic and cliche personalities. Then they replaced the antagonist of the series with one of the more interesting characters from the series, and wiped out the elements that made him so interesting in the process.

I disagree with you on quite a bit of this, but getting into that discussion would spin this thread off in the wrong direction. I'd certainly like to continue this in a more appropriate thread (and when I'll have more time, like after the upcoming Fall Previews).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kalessin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:58 am Reply with quote
Well, having never seen the series, I loved this movie. It certainly wasn't perfect, but it was definitely one of the better anime movies that I've seen. It didn't go for a rehash (which always turns out poorly) and they actually made close to two hours long instead of a measly 90 minutes as is far too common. The movie looked good overall, the story was engaging, and the characters were generally good. They even managed to explain things at a reasonable level, though a few things definitely could do with some better and/or more complete explanations. I've generally come to expect anime movies to be poor, but this one was quite good. I think that Theron's review was pretty much spot on.

I really don't understand all the complaints about this other than the fact that those who are dissatisfied with something are generally far more vocal than those who like it. It wasn't perfect, but it was a good movie and I'm glad that I went to see it. My big hope at this point is that Bandai actually releases it on BD instead of just DVD. And yes, those bloopers were awesome. That's the kind of extra that I'd love to see more of on DVDs (or even better, BDs). Kudos to Bang Zoom on that one.
KoujiTamino

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
It's funny how some people are surprised that the movie has a positive review. "How dare this movie I despised be liked!"

I liked the film myself, even loved it for the most part. It was worth every dollar I spent and I left the theater satisfied. However, it was indeed quite uneven and it could have been so much better, which is frustrating. I only found a few lines truly cringe worthy, but the reused footage was truly sloppy. It took me out of the film a couple times. However, I found myself quickly getting attached to the Renton and Eureka of this film, cheering them on.

As a fan of the series, it was a joy seeing familiar faces on the big screen, even if they weren't all the same people. I really liked the character and story re-imagining. Not all the characters were drastically different, and the ones who were made sense in context. I wouldn't expect a desperate, mentally young and immature Hap whose childhood and life have been taken away to behave in the same way an adult, mature, and wise Hap with a fairly normal life would. Despite the flaws, I enjoyed myself.

Kalessin wrote:
My big hope at this point is that Bandai actually releases it on BD instead of just DVD.

Bandai confirm at NYAF this weekend that they will indeed release the movie on Blu-Ray as well. I hope they use the original Region 2 cover for the BD release, I'm frankly sick of the official movie poster artwork. Razz
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:43 am Reply with quote
I unfortunately missed this in theatres (I got the heads up a few days prior, yet lost track of time). Amusingly, I dids catch the last half hour subbed at the Japantown festival in San Jose, and it looked somewhat interesting, though I naturally was mostly clueless (I watched Aquarion instead back when the series was airing, which people give me the impression, was a mistake apparently). So I spent a lot of it discussing with a friend about title pronunciations and what not.

Commenting instead on the issue of remakes, Key raises some valid points, as is the issue of imprinting another poster brought up. For me, it's really on a case by case basis. The cut and paste type can work, if done properly (Gundam trilogy, Macross Plus), or remove large parts of what you loved the series for in the first place (Zeta Gundam trilogy, particularly Four). There's even the middle ground (Gunbuster basically removing characterization, but still interesting in it's redub). They're always missing something, but they can work.

Outright redoing is even more treacherous ground. A large part does have to do with imprinting, and why you liked the original in the first place. It's like how I may not like what's generally a good dub, simply because I loved parts of the original performance (a certain tone use, etc.). I think many forget in these arguments that not everybody likes Escaflowne or Eureka 7 for the same reasons, so a change affecting someone might be totally okay to another.

Remakes are a double edged sword, really. On one hand, you have to change enough to justify bothering with it. On the other, you have to keep enough to justify calling it X. Change too little and what's the point (the shot be shot Psycho remake I'm told)? Change too much, and why not just call it something else (not the best example, but the Anastasia animated film had so little of the myth left, it made me wonder why they even tied it in, or how I had trouble really accepting Chris Pine as Kirk due to the changes in the character/performance)? Thinkfully, I can't think of too many of the latter, though The Day the Earth Stood Still comes to minds with it's changed message.

You're always going to have supporters of each side of the coin. those that can't stand all the change, and those that find it fun to see something different. It all depends on point of view, and how you choose to see the new work. Personally, I can usually separate a remake from it's original and stay the middle ground. The change in medium helps a lot. I may like the old one better, but I won't hold it against the new (usually).

Though I suppose the other problem people would have would be the potential fandom rifts these can cause. You're always going to have people that must view one or the other as superior, and they'll always look at you funny for disagreeing. Especially when one version supplants the other (like the Star Wars SEs I loath so much), and the fandom generally starts talking mostly about that one. There's that issue of two universes to deal with now, and how some think you mad for not choosing theirs or even liking both, or even having a gap in communication because of different experiences (I had one Star Wars fan introduced through prequels unable to grasp why I dislike the "all Stormies are clones" concept).

For me, the best remake is Do You Remember Love, and the new Battlestar Galactica. Both kept enough of the mythos intact that you could feel all was new yet still familiar. Though it took warming up to BSG for me (though I don't even compare), and I'll admit that DYRL has some character issues. The Eva movies are shaping up. I think the real key is simply finding a way to stay true to the core of idea while making it worthwhile. It's quite easy to understand why people might not like it if a character is changed so much he seemingly ceases to be that character.

I'm rattling on, so I'll wrap it up here, but I can understand why it's such an issue.

I suppose I'll see the rest of Eureka 7 some day.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
\Of course it doesn't apply if you hate the first thing you see in a franchise.

Actually, it can. I know I had a little trouble getting into Umineko because of it reminding me of problems I had with it's predecessor, Higurashi. Thankfully, that subsided. Basically, that low first impression can hurt future titles. Hopefully the same happens when the Macross Frontier movies come out, and the old stigma developed which viewing and discussing doesn't keep me from liking Sheryl too much like in the series. Change can help, but somethings just get set in stone, like it or not, especially on the negative end.

Quote:
But if a mediocre entry like Gundam Wing is your introduction into a franchise (as it was for me), and you liked it (as I did, and still do actually), then you are more likely than not going to overrate it even when exposed to better shows in said franchise. Took me ages to realise how much I had romanticised Wing, such was the nostalgia factor.

Very true. It's sort of like how I say my favorite Final Fantasy is VI. I love VI quite a lot, but I remove VII from that equation due to VII being my first RPG and hence greatly rose tinted to me that it would be unfair to simply call it my favorite thus. It's all the concept of imprinting. It's what you've come to see something as. Hence a change, even for the better, might be offputting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:04 pm Reply with quote
KoujiTamino wrote:
It's funny how some people are surprised that the movie has a positive review. "How dare this movie I despised be liked!"

The irony in this statement is that it's the only positive review I've seen of the film, the others have gone indepth to the films flaws, this seems more of a fanwank if anything
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:

The irony in this statement is that it's the only positive review I've seen of the film, the others have gone indepth to the films flaws, this seems more of a fanwank if anything

How is that ironic, because it happens to not jive with these other reviews? It is easy to believe that all reviews will be the same if someone seeks out similar ones. Is it that hard to believe that somebody legitimately enjoyed it, and for some very well-thought out reasons?

Seeing as how reviews are based on opinion, it ought to be expected that someone enjoyed a movie that others did not, so finding a positive review is not ironic.
nynextew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I didn't see anyone address it, but did anyone see the commentary with Johnny Yong Bosch? It basically explained what they were trying to do with this movie. I thought it was a really nice movie. I'd agree with most people when they say that the movie was confusing.

But if you look at it from a prequel it kinda makes sense.
ChocoBar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:

How is that ironic, because it happens to not jive with these other reviews? It is easy to believe that all reviews will be the same if someone seeks out similar ones. Is it that hard to believe that somebody legitimately enjoyed it, and for some very well-thought out reasons?

Seeing as how reviews are based on opinion, it ought to be expected that someone enjoyed a movie that others did not, so finding a positive review is not ironic.

So far it's the ONLY positive review I've seen buddy, honestly the best part of this movie was the ending which I liked a hell of a lot more than that cheesy as hell TV ending. The extras were also great and made paying the admission somewhat worth it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:36 am Reply with quote
ChocoBar wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
ChocoBar wrote:
KoujiTamino wrote:

So far it's the ONLY positive review I've seen buddy, honestly the best part of this movie was the ending which I liked a hell of a lot more than that cheesy as hell TV ending. The extras were also great and made paying the admission somewhat worth it.

Clearly you missed the point of my argument. Finding a good review isn't ironic because reviews are based on opinions, meaning that someone out there is bound to like it. It would be ironic if absolutely everyone who ever sees it thought exactly the same way about it. Take the worst rated anime and you're bound to find somebody who likes it, and take the highest rated and you're bound to find someone that dislikes it. Disagreements on reviews and opinions are normal and therefore not ironic. And again, you've verified that the reason you consider it ironic is based on what you thought of it.

To summarize, a minority opinion does NOT equal irony because it is to be expected.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5