• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gunslinger Girl BLURAY

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:12 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Regarding manipulation: as discussed in the "Why hate on moe" thread, all art and entertainment is manipulative.

Why did you have to bring out the "M" word? I was trying so very hard to avoid it.

But seriously, your point has merit but it's just superficial. So yeah all fiction is manipulative. But you ignore that there are different types of "manipulative". I thought I had made it clear enough which type I thought it was.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
Bad manipulative. Evil or Very Mad
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
So there's been a bunch of discussion over whether Gunslinger Girl is manipulative and whether that's good or inevitable or whatever.
JesuOtaku wrote:
The writers did not reason out "We're going to make a mafia thriller, what would be the best candidates for brainwashing?" and logically arrived at little girls. The writers (or mangaka, actually) said to themselves "Let's make a story where little girls are forced to become killers so we can push a few buttons. NOW how do we rationalize it?" That's exactly what this is.

My take on it may be a little different than what others have said so far. I recall Isaac Asimov saying more than once that good science fiction takes one scientifically-plausible assumption about how the fictional world is different from the real world and develops it realistically within that assumption.

I don't think it matters that Gunslinger Girl may have started out with "What if little girls were made into cyborg assassins?" instead of "Who would make the best brainwashed assassins? I know, little cyborg girls!" It only matters that it started with an idea for a story, where it went after it started, and how it got there. As part of its development, Gunslinger Girl, as science fiction, attempts to make a reasonable case for why little girls would make the best brainwashed assassins, but that's just the creators trying to keep it real given the admittedly far-fetched, but not utterly implausible, initial premise.

My best (or is that worst?) example for comparison is that at least they didn't say something like "How can we start off a show with a scene like the Fidelio sequence in Eyes Wide Shut? I know, we'll have a genetically engineered telepathic bio-weapon that gives ordinary people X-men-like super powers!" I'm sure there are better (worse?) examples out there, but Gunslinger Girl isn't one of them.
gerbilx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
dtm42, the point really isn't why are these young girls doing these things. If you can't get over such premises, I don't know how you can enjoy any type of fantastical fiction. The heart of the matter is in how they work with that premise, and I assure you that it is masterfully done.

Premises, blurbs, and summaries are, more often than not, never representative of the actual product. I dare you, look over one of your favorite DVD, VHS, or whatever, and read the back cover. Does it give you a general idea of the plot? Probably, but does it tell you anything about the heart, soul, and /feeling/ that the show captures and presents? I highly doubt that. Taking that dare onto myself, looking at the back of some Berserk manga, the back cover makes it look excessively dumb and awful. "A roller coaster of carnage" or whatever too cool for school saying they put on the back of those books doesn't even begin to describe that manga.

Anyway, I don't really care about you giving GSG a chance, or liking it at all if you do give it a chance. Just please, please don't speak like a blurb is really representative of anything.

On a note unrelated to dtm42, and which may invalidate my opinion to others on this thread, I find that the use of little girls was necessary for what this show was trying to do. GSG is, in my mind, a show about being used, and being ok with it. Imagine the handlers as assassins, and the girls as their guns. A show about guns that are conscious, alive, emotive and, most importantly, completely codependent. Having a literal gun mope after it misfires comes off as a bit too silly, but transmuting that literal gun into one of the girls, and then developing her and her handlers feelings throughout the show, adds layer upon layer of wonder to GSG.

Consider even the first episode, after Henrietta botches her assignment, and she and Jose are riding back to headquarters. He's just angry, but she's embarrassed, sad, lonely, and feels neglected. That reaction is sublimely fascinating after a killing spree. It lets us wonder, if our tools could talk, how would they feel after messing up. How desperately does that gun, or screwdriver or saw want to be useful, so that it might prolong the time it spends with its user until it's inevitably thrown away. To know that you are a tool, and to desperately want to be useful. To me, that is an unendingly fascinating topic, and one that is handled excellently in this show. It's like a violent Toy Story 3, and I loved Toy Story 3 for all of the above reasons. ~o~
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:

My take on it may be a little different than what others have said so far. I recall Isaac Asimov saying more than once that good science fiction takes one scientifically-plausible assumption about how the fictional world is different from the real world and develops it realistically within that assumption.

I don't think it matters that Gunslinger Girl may have started out with "What if little girls were made into cyborg assassins?" instead of "Who would make the best brainwashed assassins? I know, little cyborg girls!" It only matters that it started with an idea for a story, where it went after it started, and how it got there. As part of its development, Gunslinger Girl, as science fiction, attempts to make a reasonable case for why little girls would make the best brainwashed assassins, but that's just the creators trying to keep it real given the admittedly far-fetched, but not utterly implausible, initial premise.

You said what I was trying to figure out how to say.

I don't care how a particular show's premise was come up with. Ok, I do somewhat, because (especially if it's a show I really love) it can be interesting to see the creative process behind a series. But when it comes to my enjoyment of a series, what matters most is how the series handles the premise, not how the premise was first come up with.

And for me at least, based on the way the series handles the premise, it doesn't come off as especially contrived, despite what one might expect. But that really shouldn't be too surprising, because one of the nice things about a good anime series (or any series for that matter) is that it can draw us into bizare or unusual worlds or situations far removed from reality, yet make it all seem to flow together naturally and fit.
HellKorn

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
DKL wrote:
So, yes… this is kinda where I’m at: despite what I’ve talked about, I must concede that it is very possible that I’m too in love with the classiness of the show’s filmmaking to accept what might be obvious flaws in the setup…

But when you have shots with composition like this (most likely cribbed from a movie I’ve not seen):

More pictures.

It’s hard for me to resist liking it.
Naw, man, that's perfectly understandable. A good director can definitely elevate material -- whether it's below them or not -- to something more substantial -- like culling character and thematic nuances you've mentioned. (It's certainly convinced me to give Gunslinger Girl a go in the near-future, although I'll probably check out Aoi Bungaku first... didn't the director of Mouryou no Hako get involved in that, as well?) It could even be something which may not exist in the source material... or necessarily apparent in the concept of the script, like with Nagisa Oshima's In the Realm of the Senses or Empire of Passion. (Have you watched any of his work, by the way? The former work is his most popular, sadly, although it's still worth watching and interesting, but it's still far removed from what he was doing in the 60s. I know you like Shohei Imamura, so if you can imagine him being less humorous, more political but still equally feminist and socially progressive, then you're kinda at where Oshima is.)

Quote:
That being said, I’m surprised that you still remember me dude.
I still remember your analyses as being some of the most insightful for whatever anime you're covering (Monster, Oshii, Kon, etc.), and you're one of the most honest anime fans I've come across when it comes to describing your actual attraction to series and films.
DKL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:
Naw, man, that's perfectly understandable. A good director can definitely elevate material -- whether it's below them or not -- to something more substantial -- like culling character and thematic nuances you've mentioned. (It's certainly convinced me to give Gunslinger Girl a go in the near-future, although I'll probably check out Aoi Bungaku first... didn't the director of Mouryou no Hako get involved in that, as well?) It could even be something which may not exist in the source material... or necessarily apparent in the concept of the script, like with Nagisa Oshima's In the Realm of the Senses or Empire of Passion. (Have you watched any of his work, by the way? The former work is his most popular, sadly, although it's still worth watching and interesting, but it's still far removed from what he was doing in the 60s. I know you like Shohei Imamura, so if you can imagine him being less humorous, more political but still equally feminist and socially progressive, then you're kinda at where Oshima is.)

To be fair, Chobits really didn't do it for me overall, but there was still something charming about the way in which Asaka poked fun at a college-aged male's sexual fantasies... uh, there was this great quote from the anime-jump review of the thing:

Mike Toole wrote:

This is one of my favorite scenes in Chobits volume 1-- not only is Hideki nervous about the idea of a cute girl in his room-- even a plastic one-- he's apprehensive in the same way that a new PC user is apprehensive, only instead of an intimidatingly featureless gray box, he has an intimidatingly featureless girl. Hideki has no concept of persocom software and is too embarrassed to examine his new technological wonder too closely; meanwhile, Shinbo is completely blase about monkeying with the girl and finding out what makes her tick.

As for Ryosuke Nakamura's arc in Aoi Bungaku (Run Melos!), I would have to say that it was likely my favorite arc in the whole series... if only because of how gay it was (I mean literally gay: the writer dude in the story went about his life as if he couldn't let go of the memory of how his male lover had left him behind).

The style was also pretty damn awesome: Nakamura did wonders with character emoting like he did in Death Note (half way through episode 17) and also came up with some really great sequences (the characters from the play fighting around the writer's desk being the most interesting; it had some seriously intense choreography).

(uh, also, yes, I am very interested in seeing Mouryou no Hako, actually; got to get around to that some time)

That being said, I have seen In the Realm of the Sense and would have to likely agree with your assessment of Oshima's style with respect to Imamura's. Furthermore, I admittedly didn't even know the extent of how political the movie was up until I read more about it (thanks to Criterion Collection's excellent supplemental stuff); like... it wasn't totally obvious up until I read up on it more. That said, I am actually very interested in earlier Oshima even though I've only seen this one movie.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
My best (or is that worst?) example for comparison is that at least they didn't say something like "How can we start off a show with a scene like the Fidelio sequence in Eyes Wide Shut? I know, we'll have a genetically engineered telepathic bio-weapon that gives ordinary people X-men-like super powers!"

lol I saw that one. I ranked it pretty low...
Anime master21

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was a really good anime considering it gave girls a second chance at life and also to be with people the love. But it should have had more story to the girl's pasts. Dont ya think. Wink
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Anime master21 wrote:
I thought it was a really good anime considering it gave girls a second chance at life and also to be with people the love. But it should have had more story to the girl's pasts. don't ya think. Wink
That was briefly touch upon as spoiler[each girl was the victim of a traumatic event that had either left them mentally, and/or physically injured beyond any healing, in other words they would have needed institutionalised care for the rest of their remaining lives. That was the strict qualification for being picked as a "canidate". It was also the reason for the brainwashing to wipe clean that trauma in order to train them properly and remove any possible flash backs freaking them out of control in the middle of a hit. ] As for spoiler[the girl who appears to have died in the ending, we are told by the narrator that the process of rebuilding their broken bodies will shorten their lives considerally, so that scene could very easily been interpreted as her time to die, even though she apparently didn't. The girls singing at the end also seemed to be their way of comforting her, and themselves, knowing each one of them could be next.] That is the part that was sadly bottled by the direction of the second season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4