• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
American Cartoons or Japanese Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trackstar1013

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:16 am Reply with quote
What have you seen that can stack up to Full Metal Panic, the comedy, the plot, the animation and the everything else that goes with it, I mean compare it to an Amarican Cartoon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:09 am Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:
What have you seen that can stack up to Full Metal Panic, the comedy, the plot, the animation and the everything else that goes with it, I mean compare it to an Amarican Cartoon.

You're just dead set on your arguement that Japanese animation is better, aren't you?

Remember, if you start a thread like these, you need to maturely view both sides of the arugment. Just reminding you. :)

Quote:
One of the things I especially like about the pre-war Disney films is they have the feel of a series of short vignettes tied together through the characters (the Dwarfs work at the mine, the Dwarfs wash their faces for supper, etc); little details that come together to make a full, beautiful film.

Ooh, that's what I love about a lot of the scenes in The Jungle Book. Great movie, but a sad reminder of Walt Disney's death.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:26 am Reply with quote
trackstar1013 wrote:

Simple! Any one of Bill Plympton's Plymptoons easily matches and surpasses FMP on all counts. Especially the comedy aspect. And his stories fall under jfrog's category of great storytelling that doesn't rely too heavily on traditional plot elements. I think his short films are his best work; his latest, Guard Dog, is really amazing, and 25 Ways to Quit Smoking is the funniest animation I've ever seen. Ever. But his feature film I Married a Strange Person is pretty fun stuff too, and Mutant Aliens is just strange...

Don Hertzfeldt's work is also very funny, and (I think) beautifully animated. Again, his stories often consist of the mundane, everyday events that everyone goes through. Er.. that is, when he's not animating small children being tortured by balloons... Wink Check out Lily and Jim to see one of the most charming, not-plot-oriented animations ever made (about an awkward date).

Haru to Ashura wrote:
Ooh, that's what I love about a lot of the scenes in The Jungle Book. Great movie...

Ooh, that IS a great movie. Its animation even surpasses that of Bambi. Many, many animators (including my idol, Richard Williams) consider Shere Khan to be one of THE best examples of character animation in the entire medium. I'm inclined to agree.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jfrog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:32 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:
Don Hertzfeldt's work is also very funny, and (I think) beautifully animated. Again, his stories often consist of the mundane, everyday events that everyone goes through. Er.. that is, when he's not animating small children being tortured by balloons... Wink

You mean you weren't tortured by balloons as a small child? Am I the only one this happened to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:35 am Reply with quote
I think that I'm going to have to watch the old Disney movies again. A while back I had watched Robin Hood and really enjoyed it. Of course I would have to drag myself away from watching my anime. I suppose I could do that for a minute or two lol Wink
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:37 am Reply with quote
Cloe wrote:

Ooh, that IS a great movie. Its animation even surpasses that of Bambi. Many, many animators (including my idol, Richard Williams) consider Shere Khan to be one of THE best examples of character animation in the entire medium. I'm inclined to agree.

Oh, I absolutley loved Sher Khan, his character design was flawless, and the animation just exphimplified his haughty attitude. :) Sorry, just rambling.

Quote:
A while back I had watched Robin Hood and really enjoyed it.

Robin Hood is one of my all-time favorite movies. :D
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Also on a sorta unrelated topic. American cartoons are designed for a person with less of an attention span.

Yeah. They're called children.
With the exception of titles like Yugioh, Shaman King, Doraemon, Pokemon, and pretty much everything that airs on American TV now, most titles in Japan are aired post-midnight. Rare exceptions are made for something like Gundam SEED.
Most children don't stay up till past midnight (at least, last I checked) to watch anime. Nearly all the early morning stuff that airs here, airs over there.

Note that it's nearly the same in America. Early morning stuff, weekday afternoon for kids. LATE night stuff for nonkids (pretty much, adult swim is the only option here). And of course, that ever rare exception for something like the Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.

If you're going to compare Road Runner, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, you'd best do it to stuff like Pokemon or Yugioh, because that's what's equally matched, and to be honest, American programs beat them over the head with much better animation, but the lack of a cheesy, connected story eludes them.

Note that stuff like the regular series we're accustomed watching (let's use your example, FMP) are very linear. You can't jump in at anytime or you'd get lost. Those shows are designed with the view that you watch every show from start to finish... the hardcore people that stay up till 2:00 AM to watch it every week. America does not have this in animated form, but there are plenty of real life shows that do contain the linear quality. Something as cheesy as wrestling has it (ironically, American wrestling has plot but Japanese does not =P) , but again, plenty of great shows out there too, like 24. Yes, even reality shows have linear qualities.

And again, I'm tired of the assertion that Americans have short attention spans, simply because there is more nonlinear programming. How many anime programs do you know run for an hour, besides OVAs? And how many shows in America run for an hour? A lot more. Sports games start at like... 6 and finish at 9, that's three hours of straight watching you gotta do.

Finally,
Quote:
I do think you'll develope better mentally if you can follow anime.

I think you'll develop better mentally if you get As in school.
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:06 am Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
...and the animation just exphimplified his haughty attitude. Smile Sorry, just rambling.

Ahh, that's not rambling at all! Shere Khan's animation was practically mind-boggling. How on earth John Lounsbery, Milt Kahl, Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas were able to convey the sheer weight of that tiger is just... wow... beyond my comprehension. I've never seen a more menacing animated character. Except for maybe the evil penguin in The Wrong Trousers. But that's British, so I guess it doesn't count in this topic.

jfrog wrote:
You mean you weren't tortured by balloons as a small child?

Afraid not... I hope Billy's Balloon didn't re-surface any buried childhood memories for you. Wink My childhood is summed up best in the Hubleys' work, particularly Cockaboody.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:10 am Reply with quote
how about if you can only watch American Cartoons or Japanese Anime. You can't have both. you have pick one. Witch one will you prefer?
Cloe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:19 am Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
Quote:
Also on a sorta unrelated topic. American cartoons are designed for a person with less of an attention span.

Yeah. They're called children.

Ack! There it is! Oh well, it was good while it lasted... Sad

[refer to one of my previous posts]

Spotlesseden wrote:
how about if you can only watch American Cartoons or Japanese Anime. You can't have both. you have pick one. Witch one will you prefer?

Neither. I'd go to the European animation and film festivals instead.
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:32 am Reply with quote
On the subject of American versus Japanese animation, Japanese studios might not have the budget compared to American studios to do full motion animation, but they more than make up for it by the animation details and character designs. Compare FMA to something like Family Guy or Simpsons. Sure, they use various techniques like panning, but it rarely gets in the way of my enjoyment especially when I'm admiring the eye candy in the scene. In the end, which country produces the best animation? Do you rate animation on fps or the quality of the drawings? Which one would you notice more when you watch an animated show?

I think Japanese studios are drawing better animation with the money they are making... *points at AIR TV*.

The one thing I wish they would cut down in anime is the use of flashbacks. They use gross amounts of it in Noir.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:54 am Reply with quote
WaR.KiN wrote:
I think Japanese studios are drawing better animation with the money they are making... *points at AIR TV*.

I really wish people would stop trying to prove this point by pointing out exceptions to the rule. Rolling Eyes

WaR.KiN wrote:
Compare FMA to something like Family Guy or Simpsons.

How about we not? I'm getting really sick of this idea that anime is better because "American artists can't draw." You know, sometimes there's beauty in simplicity. Simpsons and similar shows feature simpler design work because it fits better. Would Simpsons or Family Guy—witty, satirical, half-hour animated sitcoms—be as funny if every cel were an intricate piece of visual art and the characters perfectly realistically proportioned? No. Simple works best in this instance, and that's eons from being a bad thing despite the assertion of certain anime fanboys. Similarly, would Fullmetal Alchemist or Wolf's Rain—dramatic, linear storylines broken into half-hour increments—be as effective if the characters & backgrounds were simplified? No. Adding a bit of intricacy to these sweeping, long-winded epics adds to their more dramatic feel, and that isn't a bad thing either.

There's a place for simplicity (as an anime example, look at Kerero Gunso) and there's a place for intricacy (as a Western animation example as best as my memory can serve, look at SWAT Kats). Neither one is inferior to the other, as they both look utterly stupid in the wrong situation.

No_Name wrote:
I do think you'll develope better mentally if you can follow anime.

Generally, the sort of people that actually believe this are the last ones to be talking about "superior mental development," if you catch my drift.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Ack! There it is! Oh well, it was good while it lasted...

[refer to one of my previous posts]

Ah, my bad. I popped off too early because I was mad and tired =P

Actually, I contradict myself in that post, because Japanese Anime does include the whole Yugioh and Pokemon craze which ARE also intended for kids (or, as the other guy so lightly put it, "people with smaller attention spans.") And of course, that doesn't mean that only kids watch it...
Again, to compare FMP and old WB cartoons are completely out there, because of the different intended fanbase, and WB should be compared to shows like Yugioh and stuff.

And of course, things for kids are equally important for analysis just as you said. Little kids wouldn't be able to grasp the importance of animation technique in Road Runner =P

Blah, I need sleep ><
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:30 am Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
WaR.KiN wrote:
Compare FMA to something like Family Guy or Simpsons.

How about we not? I'm getting really sick of this idea that anime is better because "American artists can't draw." You know, sometimes there's beauty in simplicity. Simpsons and similar shows feature simpler design work because it fits better. Would Simpsons or Family Guy—witty, satirical, half-hour animated sitcoms—be as funny if every cel were an intricate piece of visual art and the characters perfectly realistically proportioned? No. Simple works best in this instance, and that's eons from being a bad thing despite the assertion of certain anime fanboys. Similarly, would Fullmetal Alchemist or Wolf's Rain—dramatic, linear storylines broken into half-hour increments—be as effective if the characters & backgrounds were simplified? No. Adding a bit of intricacy to these sweeping, long-winded epics adds to their more dramatic feel, and that isn't a bad thing either.

There's a place for simplicity (as an anime example, look at Kerero Gunso) and there's a place for intricacy (as a Western animation example as best as my memory can serve, look at SWAT Kats). Neither one is inferior to the other, as they both look utterly stupid in the wrong situation.

Very true, Nagisa. The Simpsons, Family Guy, and Futurama would not be nearly as funny if the characters weren't drawn the way they were. As I recall, Matt Groening once said the way he draws is the only way he knows how. These shows along with Adult Swim originals like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and Sealab 2021, the latter being about as simple as you could possibly get, are funny because of the way they are drawn. It's part of the comic value. I wouldn't laugh nearly as much as I have from these shows in the past if they had been drawn as regular humans. If Peter Griffin or Homer Simpson or Marco fall off a cliff, we're supposed to be laughing at them, not with them. And, of course, we know that once they land they'll get right up for more lol. Humourous anime will do this too.

In serious Japanese anime and American animation the character who falls is supposed to die. And hopefully at the time they die, the viewer feels a sense of loss over the death if they're a protagonist. If they're an antagonist then, usually, but not always, it's good riddance to bad rubbish. Wink
WaR.KiN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:

I really wish people would stop trying to prove this point by pointing out exceptions to the rule. Rolling Eyes

AIR TV might be an exception, but it is also a trend. It's all about money. People kept bashing the # of fps in anime, but they must have realized that not all the Japanese studios have the budget of Warner Brothers or Fox. Anime studios are making more money, and they are going to produce more impressive animation in the coming years. Do you honestly believe we won't see an increase in quality?

Nagisa wrote:

Since when did I say American artists can't draw? I wasn't bashing simplicity... in fact I share the same views as you. Many animes use simplicity as a comedic device. In Fruits Basket for example, many of the humorous scenes have the characters "simplified". I picked FMA vs Family Guy to point out something else, but I think I should've have picked two shows in the same category or genre. What I'm trying to say is that anime artists make up for the lack of fps with quality and detail. The animation in anime doesn't suck just because it has only a minimal # of frames per second. Again, anime studios don't have the budget, but if they do, they would really rock.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6