• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Summer Wars Submitted for Oscar Nominations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I doubt Megamind would make it, 'cus it has too many geek in-jokes.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
ZipZapZopTitania wrote:

OH WAIT I just remembered...I think my uncle is a member of the Academy! xDDD Dunno how the judging works, exactly...

A selection committee for best animated film category would vote on which would be the 3 nominees. Then the whole Academy voters can vote on which of the 3 nominees would be the winner.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Even if there were 5 nominees, Summer Wars would still only have an outside shot.

Toy Story 3, How to Train Your Dragon, Tangled, The Illusionist, and Megamind would probably all be more likely to get nominated than Summer Wars.

Even The Illusionist will be likely to get in the top 3 over Tangled.

So essentially what you're saying is that Summer Wars isn't mainstream appealing enough (How to Train...) nor snobby film critic appealing enough (The Illusionist).

(Or in the case of Pixar, both) Smile
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:13 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Otaking: Dude, we've been through this. For Eva 2.2 to happen, the Academy would have to be familiar with 1.1 at the very least. And even then, it might not be eligible, because it's already been released on home video in Japan. In fact, I'm surprised Summer Wars made it, because of that issue. Guess they changed the rules?

For international films, they have to have a theatrical release overseas before any other overseas release (TV, OVA, etc.), and also theatrical release in the US before any other US release, with the LA County Qualifying showing as part of that US theatrical release.

The US theatrical release and qualifying LA Country showing can be the same year or following year as the overseas theatrical premier.

Overseas Theatrical / Overseas DVD / US Theatrical / US DVD is perfectly fine for overseas films, as long as the timelines are respected. Just as before the days of VHS, Overseas Theatrical / Overseas TV / US Theatrical / US TV was perfectly fine.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote
agila: Ah, I see. Thanks.

Apparently, Earthsea wasn't even submitted, but there's an interesting article on how Cats and Dogs made it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4