• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Durarara!! Part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Dengeki Bunko book. I can't remember which book he picks, but they end up putting a soldering iron right next to his frickin eye. Why couldn't that have been in the anime? Why did they take away the seinen feel that at least the manga has?

They did show it. It was in the background inside the van - you can clearly see them poke the guy with the iron until he starts screaming that he'll talk.

You must have a different idea of "clear" than me.

Cause this is how it's done in the anime. Compare that with the page of manga above.

[EDIT: Sorry, but we won't be allowing links to entire episodes of series posted in an unapproved way. - Key]
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
John Casey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Dengeki Bunko book. I can't remember which book he picks, but they end up putting a soldering iron right next to his frickin eye. Why couldn't that have been in the anime? Why did they take away the seinen feel that at least the manga has?

They did show it. It was in the background inside the van - you can clearly see them poke the guy with the iron until he starts screaming that he'll talk.

You must have a different idea of "clear" than me.

Cause this is how it's done in the anime. Compare that with the page of manga above.

Good enough. Maybe it isn't good enough for you. If you crave torture scenes, plenty of Saw movies out there. :3
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:08 pm Reply with quote
If I were to choose at which I would rather see, a group of guys drinking milk or the awesome faces of Erika and Walker as they explain their method of torture, I'd go with the latter.

I can't see any reason whatsoever to go with the former other than wanting to make the series more shounen/fujoshi-friendly.

If they had shown something else on the screen that was vital then I would understand relegating the torture scene to the background... but really, three guys drinking milk?
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't feeling the previews Aniplex put up of the dub. Freeman just doesn't sound gruff enough as Heiwajima, Bosch's Izaya didn't have that collected charm to it; where is the fabulous, nonchalant dickhead? I guess Shinra was okay, but I honestly would have rather seen that role go to Bosch.

Price is ridiculous, as well.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:08 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:
edit: And this is a silly complaint but the closer Trust Me is very far from 'rap themed.' Wink

Yeah, its more like R&B.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
[EDIT: Sorry, but we won't be allowing links to entire episodes of series posted in an unapproved way. - Key]

Key, what does unapproved mean here?

You don't allow links to official licensed streams?

Seriously?

ANN Rules wrote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.

Now I'm just plain confused here, with that links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted statement.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:48 pm Reply with quote
It's heartening to see the release get good marks, along with the dub. It sounded promising from the various clips made available by Aniplex USA, so it's good to hear that it might be as strong as it appears to be. The price point and three-volume release is reasonable, too (just wish I was able to have pre-ordered it and get that nice keychain Sad ).

As for the Baccano!/Durarara!! debate, I liked both series, but while they are similar in story nature and style, I always saw DRRR!! as a more refined and focused Baccano! from all points of production. The plot was tighter and easier to follow, the characters were more fleshed-out, the animation was crisper and more consistent, and even the score seemed more aurally pleasing and daring. Along with improved direction, DRRR!! felt like a matured version of its predecessor, though that is not to knock Baccano! as being an inferior title. It was great in its own right and its own style, it's just the natural progression of things. The staff was already familiar with that type of quirky narrative, so the results a second time around came together better and smoother than the last time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Key wrote:

Key, what does unapproved mean here?

You don't allow links to official licensed streams?

Seriously?

ANN Rules wrote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.

Now I'm just plain confused here, with that links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted statement.

Maybe Key was in a hurry and didn't realize it was an official youtube channel?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:42 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Possible, except somehow Key knew it was an entire episode and not an excerpt. Megiddo did not mention that it was an episode, so how did Key know? If he had found out by clicking on the link, then he would have seen that it was Bandai's channel and not that of a random user.

Anyway, enough hypothesising. I just want to say how much I love the openers and closers of Durarara!!. I'm not sure which OP is better - they are both pretty good and I just cannot decide - however the first ED is simply amazing. The second one is good but it is nowhere near as catchy or as good looking. I have to hand it to Baccano!, it did have an exceptional OP; not sure I'd say it was better than either of Durarara!!'s, but it was still exceptional. Yet its closer was disappointing, especially compared to the OP. Durarara!! avoided that problem by making the end of each episode musically and rhythmically stronger than the start, so you feel good and upbeat for having watched it. It's an interesting (although probably unintentional) trick.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Possible, except somehow Key knew it was an entire episode and not an excerpt. Megiddo did not mention that it was an episode, so how did Key know? If he had found out by clicking on the link, then he would have seen that it was Bandai's channel and not that of a random user.

I did click on the link in question and didn't see anything indicating that it was an official Bandai channel, though admittedly I didn't look too hard. (And for the record, I knew it was a full episode because I actually used my brain and noted that it had a full 24 minute running time.) If it was on an official and approved channel then I did erroneously remove the link and Megiddo is welcome to repost it. But I'll want to see proof of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:23 am Reply with quote
All you have to do is read the description of the video... or click the "user" who uploaded the video (AniplexUS).

Once again... (though I'd prefer if Key deletes this post and places the link back where it was if possible, that way the context of the clip is understood.
John Casey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote
I forgot all about it. Anime hyper
aizensama666

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:32 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, enough hypothesising. I just want to say how much I love the openers and closers of Durarara!!. I'm not sure which OP is better - they are both pretty good and I just cannot decide - however the first ED is simply amazing. The second one is good but it is nowhere near as catchy or as good looking. I have to hand it to Baccano!, it did have an exceptional OP; not sure I'd say it was better than either of Durarara!!'s, but it was still exceptional. Yet its closer was disappointing, especially compared to the OP. Durarara!! avoided that problem by making the end of each episode musically and rhythmically stronger than the start, so you feel good and upbeat for having watched it. It's an interesting (although probably unintentional) trick.

Trust Me is an awesome ending for Durarara!!. It's so upbeat and fits the series so well. However, I loved Baccano!'s ending song as well. While the ending animation itself was incredibly disappointing, the song was a perfect match for the tone of the series.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
I think Complication is one of the best OP that I have ever seen in ant series. Once episodes 14 and above came out I just kept listening to the song by Rookiez is Punk'd was an instant hook for more, I'm even waiting to see there OP for Bleach. Uragiri was also really good as well as the ED so the choice in music for the series was just A+
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:58 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:

And as I said, I liked the first half of DRRR!! It was somewhat meandering but still entertaining. Where I have the problem though is in the second half, when it narrows its focus down to merely three characters for the most part. I always loved that there is no main character feel of Baccano!

And if you're not female, then hey, we just have different tastes ^^

Bit of a spoiler there. I, too loved Baccano more because the story moved in such a rapid pace and actually was building up to a spectacle. I only watched a first half of DRRR, it took a bit of sweet time with lengthy disposition and backstory. It made me hard to swallow all at once.

I guess DRRR appeals to younger generation because the main characters are high schoolers and it's basically about them and what's going around them and I guess I should probably expect teeny romance in the next half. Anyways the most enjoyable episode was ep 12 because at least something gets explained like spoiler[Ryogamine had the part in play through the internet and it was kind of hard to follow everytime I see a screen with him just chatting.]

I can't say I love the music that much especially the closer. For the most part, it was fitting but not memorable in any way.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5