• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blood-C BD+DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
The last thing I want to come across as is a snob, but this needs to be said. If you thought the twist was cheap, revolting and a cop-out, then you have thoroughly missed the point. By lulling us into tedium that is commonplace in 90% of moe dreck today, then ending it in the cruelest way possible, the creators pulled an excellent, brilliant "gotcha!" on the audience. It essentially laughs at anime fandom today, and brutally subverts common tropes in order to do so. It was a brilliant meta-discursive work, and one of the few truly adult anime to come along in a while.

TL; DR. If you expected pretty girls fighting ugly monsters with romance and a cute cast, then the joke was always on you.

I agree with you up until the point where any of it was actually good. It's an effective twist, but the show was absolute garbage and it still would up pretty crap.

I'm also more than slightly dubious at your claim that it "laughs at anime fandom today, and brutally subverts common tropes in order to do so". That sounds like it came from TV Tropes or something. It was a show that laid deceptively predictable framework and then opposed itself to it for shock value. That's hardly genius - most shows have an awareness of their genre conventions, you know. Date A Live, which is currently airing and terrible, shows as much understanding and deliberate use of ideas and tropes in its genre.

I agree with you, but you're giving Blood-C way too much credit in every respect.

RE the rest of the thread: animated gore is vomit inducing? Really?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:46 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
That's hardly genius - most shows have an awareness of their genre conventions, you know. Date A Live, which is currently airing and terrible, shows as much understanding and deliberate use of ideas and tropes in its genre.

Date A Live is a significantly better show than Blood-C at least.

Quote:

Only the last episode really bothered me, and I really objected to the needless cruelty and wanton sexualizing of it. spoiler[especially the twins]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting reactions that people are having. I enjoyed Blood-C from start, middle to end. The movie was a disappointment, though. Talky and boring.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Date A Live is a significantly better show than Blood-C at least.

No arguments there.
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Only the last episode really bothered me, and I really objected to the needless cruelty and wanton sexualizing of it. spoiler[especially the twins]

Hmm... I saw it as more debasing than sexualised. I mean, how can you show someone spoiler[being ripped in half by the legs] without showing their underwear? There aren't closeups of taut muscles or bulging labia or anything. Actually, how can you show gore involving teenage girls without appealing to guro fans at all? I guess when that one female character's head got mangled they could have had her fall down and her underwear not be revealed, but I didn't see the shot as eroticised, more as conveying a noted lack of sexuality, it being a corpse and all. It just seemed a detail to evoke horror. I don't see it as implicitly sexualised, or as pandering to those who would see it in that way... Maybe I'm just weird.

Actually, I just watched the linked video. spoiler[The rabbit-demons blending that crowd of people, I love it].
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
TL; DR. If you expected pretty girls fighting ugly monsters with romance and a cute cast, then the joke was always on you.

It's just that, I didn't watch the series in order to be laughed at. I did figure out (more or less) what was going on well before it was revealed, but I still didn't like how it ended. Leaving a story undone in order to get you to see the ending in movie format... it's almost like the movie was planned DLC, which I don't like in anime anymore than I like it in games (which is not at all).

All that meta-stuff turned out to be an annoying and off-putting device, regardless of what sort of comment they were supposedly trying to make. To me, a good use of that sort of thing would produce a good series *and* still be entertaining on the meta-level. I don't think that could be said for Blood-C. I didn't totally hate it, but I can't say I like it much, either. Saya looked like she was going to get a lot more interesting after... well, near the end, but I didn't appreciate the way it truncated like that. There just wasn't any cartharsis.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess another complaint is that people were bored. Eh I think maybe the first two episodes were pretty boring. But I mean by episode 3 we have the creepy train monster and soon after that the cast starts dying. I guess the creepy tone of the monsters and some the over the top action and gore were enough to keep me entertained. Plus, I just wanted to see how crazy the show would get since that seems to be what people were talking about. So yeah, I can't say I was bored by the show at all. Thank god it was only 12 episodes though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree the last episode was pretty [expletive] disgusting, I'm not going to mince words, but the twist was very plausible. This is a show that people are going to either think is absolutely brilliant or an absolute joke, I think it is absolutely brilliant. The music itself is some of the best I've head in a series.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:16 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:

It's more nauseating and disturbing than literally vomit-inducing, but it's still repulsive. I'm not saying this to be a prude or anything, since I'm okay with violence that happens because I expect it to, but not when it has to reach those levels.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm Reply with quote
I liked this show, but I liked it more as a CLAMP fan then as a Blood fan.

I do have a question for people who have seen it uncensored version (I have only seen the censored version of the show when it first aired) would you say the show is more gory than Baccano or less? I don't really like gory stuff and Baccano levels are at my limit.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm okay with violence that happens because I expect it to, but not when it has to reach those levels.

It's an action-horror, I think the unflinching portrayal of monsters massacring people is appropriate. I don't get how something can be "too violent", anyway, at least in the sort of genre Blood-C is in. I guess if it detracts from the storytelling, but here I think it complements it: everyone's dying, these monsters sure are monstrous, killing them in varied ways with great ease. I think if there were lots of silhouettes and cutaways it would lose the bald, immediate impact that's really what it's about. It doesn't dwell on anything, it just doesn't shy away from it in the least.

Something like the currently-airing Attack on Titan is about as violent at times but way underplayed compared to Blood-C - which fits as it's a shounen action series foremost.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I recently blind bought this show, but I haven't watched it yet. Reading all the negative reviews makes me a little nervous though. I confess I am still curious because I've heard the ending is batshit crazy.
For those who've seen it, is the movie any better? (The Blood-C movie, not the original.)
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:

I do have a question for people who have seen it uncensored version (I have only seen the censored version of the show when it first aired) would you say the show is more gory than Baccano or less? I don't really like gory stuff and Baccano levels are at my limit.

I only saw the first episode of the show itself but I've seen some uncensored clips of stuff from the end. It's way worse than Baccano.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
I recently blind bought this show, but I haven't watched it yet. Reading all the negative reviews makes me a little nervous though. I confess I am still curious because I've heard the ending is batshit crazy.
For those who've seen it, is the movie any better? (The Blood-C movie, not the original.)

I'll just say that this is one of the very few shows where I was grateful that there was a censor bar for some scenes. I'm not sure if even my imagination would've come up with some of the things that were behind those censor bars. I'm really not into excessive gore for the sake of gore (which this appeared to be).

Still, it's not very long, so maybe it's worth checking out. Personally, if I buy something, I'm pretty likely to watch it at least once. I like to feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Razz
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:37 pm Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:

No way. It's pretty terrible.

It tries to shoehorn some lame adults vs teenagers crap that really dosen't belong and really goes nowhere.

It has new character's that don't add anything other then merchandise oprtunities.

Main villain is changed from being menacing asshole to eccentric ANIME villain who's motivation's for everything are dumb dumb dumb.

Most importantly though, it's not the "Saya is out for revenge" action fest t should have been. It's not even gory, which was the best part of the show. Hell the final battle might as well be 5 secs long.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Actually, I just watched the linked video. spoiler[The rabbit-demons blending that crowd of people, I love it].

Like I said:

spoiler[BUNNY BLENDER!!!!] Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I actually tweeted that to Alexis Tipton herself, and she both favorited and RT'd me. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7