• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kill Me Baby DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
No, when you toss out blanket accusations and expect anyone to take them seriously, you'd damn well better be able and willing to back them up with evidence. Otherwise you just become one of those irrational "all dubs suck" people whose voice automatically gets filtered out by anyone who actually appreciates dubs.

You are saying this as if I care about your opinion or the opinion of dub fans in general (I don't). Again, I am not asking nor looking for your approval.

Quote:
And you clearly haven't heard this dub, so you're basing your opinion of this dub being a travesty entirely on speculation. Sorry, but that just makes your "stand" a laughingstock.

My original "over-the-line" comment, as well as my subsequent comments were based on Foster's various "works" overall, which was a response to the "fosterized" comment, so in terms of figuring out and explaining what the intent of my comments are, you have severely missed the mark with your statement.

Last edited by Shiratori1 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
However, I know crap when I see it, and as such, will not stand for the "product" being put out by that guy (nor will I stay silent on the subject).

Well, "taking a stand" in this case means screaming and crying about it on an internet forum Foster will never read, and even if he did, wouldn't care and nothing would change, so your "taking a stand" and "not staying silent" means literally nothing. You're yelling into a void. But maybe that makes you feel good about yourself, I dunno.

So..... based on your logic, no one should ever voice their opinion (negative or positive) on anything unless the individual or thing that one is voicing their opinion towards is listening to them, reading their statements, or is in front of them. OK (that makes sense). Rolling Eyes
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:18 pm Reply with quote
so basically enurtsol hit your berserk button with his comment and it sent you into an uncontrollable rage, causing you to share your opinion with us. Do you at least feel any better after doing so?
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1, speaking as a Moderator, you're serial posting, and that's a big forum no-no. Combine those responses all into one post if you do something like that again.

Also, I entirely do "get" your point; I'm just refusing to acknowledge its validity since you won't back it up. And since you claim you don't care what people think of your opinions (which I doubt, since you're bothering to respond to them individually), then you probably also won't care that I think you're very close to trolling. You're coming into the thread for a series you haven't seen dubbed and making nasty blanket comments that are clearly meant to apply to this dub, too, and basically insulting the intelligence of anyone who thinks differently than you. And if you're not meaning those comments to apply to this dub, then you're off-topic.

Expresses your opinions is fine and completely allowed, provided that you're on-topic and not being a dick about it. Here, you're being a dick about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also, I entirely do "get" your point; I'm just refusing to acknowledge its validity since you won't back it up.

I already gave you two perfect examples, which you simply dismissed with the justification that you haven't seen them (and you're complaining about me not watching this "work"?) or don't remember them (that's my problem?).

Quote:
And since you claim you don't care what people think of your opinions (which I doubt, since you're bothering to respond to them individually), then you probably also won't care that I think you're very close to trolling. You're coming into the thread for a series you haven't seen dubbed and making nasty blanket comments that are clearly meant to apply to this dub, too, and basically insulting the intelligence of anyone who thinks differently than you. And if you're not meaning those comments to apply to this dub, then you're off-topic.

Expresses your opinions is fine and completely allowed, provided that you're on-topic and not being a dick about it. Here, you're being a dick about it.[/quote]

..................... Rolling Eyes
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:13 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

As for Pani Pony Dash, the original Japanese track isn't anything to write home about. I don't particularly care for the dub, but I also see no major issues with it and this is the first time I've seen someone complain about it. Generally, all the comments I've seen about the dub have been pretty positive. It's not a show that I really care for greatly, so I haven't watched it often.

1. If you are going to use the title of a show, spell it correctly.
2. Is your contempt for the original Japanese track based on ACTUALLY seeing the show, or did you just pull that opinion from the ANN review of it.
3. do you really think the "dumb valley girl" voice of dub Himeko (only one of the many terrible voices in that "production is BETTER than the original voice (if so, I suggest you listen to the two voices again)?!
4. The fact that indifference and a lack of care for the show oozes from your comment makes it very difficult for me to actually take your opinion seriously with regards to the show and job that foster did (like you said, you really don't care about the series).

There is a thing called auto correct on smart phones and ANN isn't particularly touch screen friendly. By the time I noticed it had changed Poni to Pony, I had already hit post. It also took me three tries to get it correct there.

Just because I'm not a huge banner waving, cosplay wearing fan of Pani Poni Dash doesn't automatically invalidate my opinion of it. The show is simply okay in my book, though for a comedy series, I never found it particularly funny.

And yes, I have watched it in both Japanese and English. While watching it in English, I didn't find much humor in it, so I gave the original track a try. I've done this with several comedy shows in particular, such as My Bride is a Mermaid, where I found the dub either poor or the comedy lacking. Sometimes the shows come across better in Japanese. In the original language, I found the show just as unfunny and many of the performances mediocre to bad. Just because it's the original track doesn't automatically make it good. Watch ICE in Japanese for another excellent example.

And there is nothing wrong with you not liking some of Foster's work, but you are here commenting on a show that you admit you haven't watched and you've further admitted that you've watched very little of his work. If you're not commenting on Kill Me Baby, then this is the incorrect thread. The fact that you have a couple poster's arguing with you that also hate most of Foster's dubs, should tell you something.

You many not like his dubs for Pani Poni Dash, but that's not going to change anyone else's opinions. Nor will it change the fact that many consider some of his dubs, such as Le Chevalier Deon, 5cm Per Second (original English dub), and Garden of Words to be among the finest R1 dubs ever done. He may be inconsistent, but when his work is good, it's excellent.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:31 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Key wrote:
Also, I entirely do "get" your point; I'm just refusing to acknowledge its validity since you won't back it up.

I already gave you two perfect examples, which you simply dismissed with the justification that you haven't seen them (and you're complaining about me not watching this "work"?) or don't remember them (that's my problem?).

I refuted one (PPD) based on other evidence. How is that dismissing it? And how is admitting that I can't accurately evaluate your claim based on personal experience a dismissal? You're stretching.

And trying to claim that you don't remember very well about the dubs you're criticizing only further weakens the credibility of your blanket statements.

EDIT: And I like how dragonrider_cody put it at the end of his post. I don't think anyone would question that Foster's work is very inconsistent. He has a very wide swing between the good and bad stuff he does.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Shiratori1 wrote:
All of the dubs done by Steven Foster that I have had the misfortune of listening to were piles of crap (one of the reasons why I don't watch dubs). People can disagree with me if you want and say that his rewriting, injection of stupid internet jokes into everything that he touches, and his overall screwing around with shows that he didn't make is "good work" (shows how little they care about the show and the people who are responsible for its existence), but I will continue to have my not-too-kind opinions about that individual and question people who actually think that the product that he has produced is quality (respect for the works that he has done? lol). Rolling Eyes

List what dubs you've heard that he's done. I'd bet money that I can show that you're either engaging in hyperbole or haven't heard his better dubs, because far from all - or even most - of the dubs he's done are like what you describe. And I will continue to have not-too-kind opinions of people who make blanket statements like this and insist that people who don't agree with their opinion are just too lazy to care.

Exactely. sure he made a mess of orphen , but he did wonders for ghost stories which would have become garbage if Foster didn't threw away the original japaneese script and did a dub rewrite which was a very good decision.

He's not perfect. but at least he is a hell of a lot better than the crap 4kids did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiratori1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I refuted one (PPD) based on other evidence. How is that dismissing it? And how is admitting that I can't accurately evaluate your claim based on personal experience a dismissal? You're stretching.

Sorry, but you can't refute that claim simply by saying, "oh, well, another reviewer who isn't me said that it was ok, therefore, your argument on Pani Poni Dash! is invalid." The only "stretch" was that so-called "proof".

Quote:
And trying to claim that you don't remember very well about the dubs you're criticizing only further weakens the credibility of your blanket statements.

Where exactly did I say that I don't remember those dubs very well? The only thing I said in my previous statement regarding "remembering" was criticism of you for not remembering the Pani Poni Dash dub because it came out six years ago (omg 6 YEARS AGO!!!) and then having the gall to say that I am wrong with regards to foster's "work" for that series (you should really try ACTUALLY READING my post before you make a response, instead of just skimming through them and making things up). Rolling Eyes

dragonrider_cody wrote:
There is a thing called auto correct on smart phones and ANN isn't particularly touch screen friendly. By the time I noticed it had changed Poni to Pony, I had already hit post. It also took me three tries to get it correct there.

Not my problem. If you can't get the "latest and greatest" from Apple or Samsung to play nice with you, that's your issue.

Quote:
Just because I'm not a huge banner waving, cosplay wearing fan of Pani Poni Dash doesn't automatically invalidate my opinion of it. The show is simply okay in my book, though for a comedy series, I never found it particularly funny.

Your entitled to your own opinion with regards to the show itself (which I also happen to disagree with). However, When you say that you don't care about a show in general and have contempt for it, in my book, that means your opinion has less weight to it than someone who actually liked the show (a person who liked the show to begin with is, in my opinion, more capable of determining if the dub of a series captured the original spirit and intent of the series or not, and as such, has more weight and validity to me from an opinion standpoint). That's just the way that I see things like this.

Quote:
You many not like his dubs for Pani Poni Dash, but that's not going to change anyone else' opinions.

I love this argument. "Your opinion on a subject isn't going to the change the minds of some individuals, so you just shouldn't voice your opinion on that subject." You should try telling that to every politician, pundit, celebrity, lobbying/interest group, NGO/IGO, and public figure in existence (see what kind of reaction that you get from them). Laughing

At the end of the day, just because people have dug in their heels opinion-wise on a subject, doesn't mean that I am forbidden from talking about that subject and voicing my own opinion.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:
Sorry, but you can't refute that claim simply by saying, "oh, well, another reviewer who isn't me said that it was ok, therefore, your argument on Pani Poni Dash! is invalid." The only "stretch" was that so-called "proof".

Why not? Are you saying their independent evaluations have no value? Deferring to those who are knowledgeable when you aren't yourself is standard and widely-accepted practice in debate.

Quote:
Quote:

Where exactly did I say that I don't remember those dubs very well?

How about this:
Quote:

That seemed to me to be indicating that you were saying that you do have that problem. If that is not the way you intended it then perhaps stating more clearly what you actually meant would have been helpful.

Quote:
Your entitled to your own opinion with regards to the show itself (which I also happen to disagree with). However, When you say that you don't care about a show in general and have contempt for it, in my book, that means your opinion has less weight to it than someone who actually liked the show (a person who liked the show to begin with is, in my opinion, more capable of determining if the dub of a series captured the original spirit and intent of the series or not, and as such, has more weight and validity to me from an opinion standpoint). That's just the way that I see things like this.

Can't agree. It's entirely possible to divorce an interpretation of a dub from an interpretation of the overall show; I've don it many times. In fact, it's been my experience that ardent adoration of a show in its original Japanese dub tends to skew one's impression of any English dub made of it, as such fans are the ones most likely to be so attached to the original voice work that they cannot tolerate any dub of it, no matter how good. (Now, mind you I'm not saying that this is an automatic outcome, just a more prevalent reaction within that group.)

Quote:
At the end of the day, just because people have dug in their heels opinion-wise on a subject, doesn't mean that I am forbidden from talking about that subject and voicing my own opinion.

Granted. But once again, when the opinion you're voicing is a blanket accusation based on limited examples, and when it carries a not-so-thinly-veiled insult to those who don't agree with you, then you had better be prepared to deal with rebuttals.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 am Reply with quote
Ah, vituperative posters ragging on Stephen Foster. I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing that in a while.

What I want to know is: Why wasn't Kill Me Baby! Fosterized? This show seemed perfect for being the "next Ghost Stories" but instead Foster didn't really try and we're left with a show that is pretty mediocre in both languages, as far as I'm concerned. I am disappointed.

With the exception of Horizon I haven't heard a recent Foster dub that was truly "Fosterized", to my dismay. A dub has the power to make an otherwise mundane show memorable and Foster hasn't been exercising that power lately in my experience, except for in Horizon. Sentai has dubbed a fair number of mediocre shows with Foster in the directors chair and a great many of them would have been better if Foster had been doing his "thing". If I didn't know better, I'd think that the Foster haters have been largely successful in cowing him.

If anyone involved in English dubbing @ Sentai and its related companies deserves hate it is the person(s) ultimately responsible for the colossal failing that was the dub of Momo; The God Girl of Death. I don't think that I've ever been so disappointed by a dub before.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:38 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Ah, vituperative posters ragging on Stephen Foster. I haven't had the displeasure of experiencing that in a while.

What I want to know is: Why wasn't Kill Me Baby! Fosterized? This show seemed perfect for being the "next Ghost Stories" but instead Foster didn't really try and we're left with a show that is pretty mediocre in both languages, as far as I'm concerned. I am disappointed.

With the exception of Horizon I haven't heard a recent Foster dub that was truly "Fosterized", to my dismay.

It seems that nowadays, pretty much anything written by Foster is critiqued as being a "Fosterized" script. Literally one or two jokes or bits of lingo not in the original script? AUGH FOSTERIZED. A few curses, even if fairly appropriate in context for the right characters (as was apparently the case in The Garden of Words)? AUGH FOSTERIZED. A line or two that don't sound right either syntactically or through a particular vocal delivery, somehow in a league of its own compared to any other questionably translated line in a piece not written/directed by Foster? AUGH FOSTERIZED.

Oh, I'm sure Kill Me Baby was Fosterized by some accounts. If only for the fact that it was worked on by him in the first place. Laughing Neutral
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote
Shiratori1 wrote:

Quote:

First of all, please point to where I said that I had contempt for the show, or even said I disliked it. I'm thinking you need to pick up a dictionary and learn the meaning of words before you use them.

Secondly, I wasn't aware that not being a giant fan of a show made all my criticisms of it completely invalid. Someone better tell Zac, Key, and the other reviewers here that they need to resign ASAP, since they're not fans of every show they write about. I guess you're the only one that is allowed to criticize works they don't like. What a special individual you must be.

You really should read the posts replying to you. As Key has tried to explain many times, no one has an issue with you disliking Stephen Foster's dubs in general or even the two cases you mentioned, though you really didn't go into specifics. However, that doesn't excuse making blanket statements with nothing to back them up, particularly when you insult other posters that have disagreed with you. In case you didn't notice, a few other poster agreed with your criticisms of Foster, but they didn't completely derail a thread because they didn't feel the need to insult others in doing so.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If anyone involved in English dubbing @ Sentai and its related companies deserves hate it is the person(s) ultimately responsible for the colossal failing that was the dub of Momo; The God Girl of Death. I don't think that I've ever been so disappointed by a dub before.

Totally disagree. But that should be brought up in the appropriate review thread, and I will not discuss it further here.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

Totally disagree. But that should be brought up in the appropriate review thread, and I will not discuss it further here.
This might come as a shock to you, Key, but I actually didn't post that because I wanted to "discuss" it with you.

BTW, how can you "disagree" with my statement that Momo's dub was a great disappointment to me? Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5