• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Overrated and underrated anime.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:27 am Reply with quote
Overrated: POKEMON, Dragen ball Z..and usual childs stuff . EAG

Underrated: Patlabor 2 - The Movie and The Wings of Honneamise , "Fruits Basket" ..
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:36 am Reply with quote
overrated:
Sailor Moon
DBZ
Pokemon
and all the other kid shows like them
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Ninja Scroll *ok, these movies were good but not as good as everyone makes them out to be*

Over Exposed/ Excessively talked about:
Eva
Cowboy Bebop
Inu Yasha *almost every fangirl I meet is obsessed with this show...its good, but there are other good shows out there too...*

Under Rated:
DB *I find it alot more entertaining than DBZ*
Reign *its something different for once*

Under Exposed:
Nadesico *why I haven't seen this show on air is beyond me...I think it would get a great response, though my limited access to anime stations might be why I haven't seen it*
Jubei-Chan
Woo Jae

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:44 am Reply with quote
EVA, Bebop, and other popular shows may be overhyped, but they are STILL quality shows in their presentation and style. And I DO agree that the shows that introduce people to anime tend to be overrated, like say Ninja Scroll, Akira (sorta- need the manga to really appreciate the story - movie alone is incomplete imho) or even sailor moon or dragonball z.

That said underrated shows for me are the older stuff people overlook while obsessing over the new stuff. Stuff like Urusei Yatsura TV, Maisson Ikokku, Macross, Genesis Climber Mospeada, City Hunter, Bubblegum Crisis 2032, Original Dirty Pair to name a few. Or even Legend of Galactic Heroes, Starblazers, and the older stuff. All of the shows above are for the most part well animated, and tell great tales that are fun to watch. But people ignore them (IMHO their loss) since they are "old". Mad

In terms of Overrated, I'd say something like Love Hina but with so many new shows that seem like clones of each other, it's hard to find something unique.
evy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh my... yes, I'd like to agree that Love Hina is overrated. It was cute in the beginning, but it seemed to deteriorate to the point I couldn't bear watching anymore. Yet so many people I've met online love that series to pieces.

I have to agree that Eva is not overrated. It is rather over-exposed and the fact that it is so highly recommended, or a "must-see" for anime fans sometimes gives fans who haven't watched the series the wrong idea. I've known serious anime fans who watch the series late in their fandom, and heavily criticize it because it didn't meet their expectations (hence, "It's so overrated!.") But then again, what did you want Eva to be? Of course it could have been better, especially with the budget problems towards the end of the series, but the talent and artistry of Anno shows through despite that. On Anno, and his ending of Eva, I think most of it was intentional. He tends to have a habit of cutting off a series when there is the most need for resolve. Then again, the main plot probably isn't as important to him as the message he wants to convey throughout the series. We can see it in Eva, and we see it again in KareKano.

I don't think TRIGUN is overrated because I don't hear too many people saying that the series is the "best thing ever." I like the series, and it was definitely fun to watch, but I don't rate the series wonderfully high, nor do I constantly hear other fans doing so. Granted TRIGUN is quite popular, but that's because it's a fun series in itself.

I think .hack//SIGN is a bit overrated, though. Everyone seemed to love it, and that it was "SOOOOOOOOOOOOO" good, but after watching it, I don't have any particular regard for the series. It was a rather good series, but not spectacular. In the beginning, the series tended to pull too many random "deep" ideas with no direction. It was like melodrama in random psycho-analysis. This basically disappeared later in the series (thank goodness). They stopped with the "Oh, what about this idea?" and stayed with some solid ideas that they embraced and developed.

Perfect Blue was also mentioned as overrated (and someone disagreed). This is kinda tricky since serious movie critics tend to give rave reviews, but many casual fans are sickened by its gore, and the ever famous PB confusion. Since I personally agree with the "rave reviews," then I can't say that PB is overrated. In the same sense, it's not underrated either... perhaps, IMHO, a bit unpopular with the masses.

Oh... and I find Fushigi Yuugi and Ayashi no Ceres overrated. I'd agree that FY is too lovey-dovey ("Tamahome..."; "Miaka..."; "Tamahome..."; "Miaka..."), and the over-use of melodrama is sickening. Then again, I'm just not too fond of lovey-dovey-ness melodrama so it makes me overly-biased in judging the series. FY can get really good at times, and I like Miaka when she's not with Tamahome, but the ever-constant love-love always annoyed me. As for Ayashi no Ceres, I remember reading many, many wonderful reviews of this series, some saying it was better than FY. Actually, I started rating FY better after watching Ceres. Ayashi no Ceres, again, uses the same style of melodrama, but much less love-lovey. Yet in contrast, the story-telling is failure. The story was so anti-climatic... I was so appalled. At least FY could get me to watch the next episode. Ayashi no Ceres's basic story is amazing; it has so much potential. The telling of the story, however, was such a disappointment. I personally give this series such a low rating that I cannot believe how it can be so popularly rated. Maybe it's the guys... but I like FY bishies better anyway. =)

Underrated is hard... I want to say the Lupin III, but among the people who have decently watched it, it's not exactly underrated. I guess it's just not too well known among casual fans. I think Tokyo Babylon is underrated as well, but that's probably because I think it's rather unnoticed. It's a pity that the OAV was only 2 episodes... it was excellent!

I think the "not under-rated, just unnoticed" goes for a lot of series, since the people who have watched the series do give the series just ratings.

Of the more popular series, I think Slayers is underrated. Then again, it's my favorite anime series so I'm horribly biased. I loved watching it; I think it's amazing in so many aspects, making me disappointed that some people brush the series off as a fun-series-if-you-have-time sort of thing. It's rather under-recommended; so many series of lesser quality are recommended more frequently. I guess it just doesn't "do it" for some people. Oh well. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
nyana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Overrated
Akira
Ghost in the shell
Hellsing----this show failed miserably.
Love Hina----another piece of crap, yet people seem to love it.
There is plenty more but thats all I can think of now

Underrated
The whole crest/banner of the star series. I disagree with most people that complain about the pacing of the show. The show is rather simple yet the character developmentis one of the best I have seen in a while. Very entertaining, very solid. Yet not near as popular as many of the overrated shows.
Another show would be Berserk. I always wonder why a show of such magnitude isn't mentioned as much even in anime forums like this one. I will never understand that. The show is magnificent yet it never receives the respect it deserves.
Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 1:07 am Reply with quote
Underated:
Dragon Ball-Ignored by many because of Dragon Ball Z.
Yawara-Great Judo Sports anime
Super Radical Gag Family
Phoenix(manga)-not an anime but a very underated series
Practically anything else by Osamu Tezuka, outside of Astro Boy and Kimba.
Galaxy Express 999
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Touch
Pom Poko
Whispers of the Heart
Ge Ge Ge no Kitaro
hakubi_tron

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quote
OK, after reading this whole thread I don't think anyone has defended Akira, even though its mentioned as overrated several times. Katsuhiro Otomo had nearly complete control over this film, from storyboards to script, he did everything, or at least oversaw all aspects of its creation. You may like the manga better, but you have to remember that, at the time, the manga wasn't yet complete, so the ending (which seems to be a complaint when I show it to people) could be seen as awkward. However when looking at the story, animation (which is still beyond most of what comes out today, in detail), character developement, pacing, and essentially everything else, it really is an excellent film. I think people just see it when they start watching anime and simply forget the details, or they like the newer CG animated movies and shows. I haven't heard much at all about Akira since Pioneer re-released it. I also never hear about how its the "best thing ever", people just seem to agree that they like it. With a newer generation of anime fans this film is practically underrated, since so many seem to enjoy berating it. I sugguest blowing the dust off your tape, LD, DVD and trying it out again, personally, the more I've seen it the more I've learned to appreciate the extreme levels of detail that went into its production.
Vigilante024

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quote
hakubi_tron wrote:
OK, after reading this whole thread I don't think anyone has defended Akira, even though its mentioned as overrated several times. Katsuhiro Otomo had nearly complete control over this film, from storyboards to script, he did everything, or at least oversaw all aspects of its creation. You may like the manga better, but you have to remember that, at the time, the manga wasn't yet complete, so the ending (which seems to be a complaint when I show it to people) could be seen as awkward. However when looking at the story, animation (which is still beyond most of what comes out today, in detail), character developement, pacing, and essentially everything else, it really is an excellent film. I think people just see it when they start watching anime and simply forget the details, or they like the newer CG animated movies and shows. I haven't heard much at all about Akira since Pioneer re-released it. I also never hear about how its the "best thing ever", people just seem to agree that they like it. With a newer generation of anime fans this film is practically underrated, since so many seem to enjoy berating it. I sugguest blowing the dust off your tape, LD, DVD and trying it out again, personally, the more I've seen it the more I've learned to appreciate the extreme levels of detail that went into its production.

not saying that it wasn't good, but the problem I run into, since alot of the people I talk to are older, just stop with Akira, and refuse to give other shows a chance, unless they are exactly like Akira...
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Love hina,
Well to judge this, goto the sub. The dub is extremely painful. The VA's are many of the best out there, the music is wonderful, even more wonderful is the stuff that didn't make it on the show. There are some wonderful filler eps, some nasty. It's usually clever and has some talent in writing. It's also based on a much better manga. Its manga is a piece of beauty, and the adaptation did not go well in many places. The OVA is pure crud. It trys to put in the last few volumns in one story and fails to give it the key points it needs, while succeding only at fanservice.
yume

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 4:40 pm Reply with quote
ok, here's what I think

Overated:
Love Hina. I'm just not into those harem anime. Otaku can't stop talking about this show, I didn't find anything original or interesting in this anime.
The art is very nice though.

Tenchi series. Now I like the tenchi series for the most part, but it's only something I can enjoy, not hold up to godlike status.
Plus it brought along the wave of tons of girls living with dorky guy stories, which should have gone out of style with tenchi.

Inu Yasha. Again, not a bad series or story by any stretch, but I don't think it deserves all the hype it gets.

Underatted:

Urusei Yatsura.
Most people simply shrug this show off beacuse it's old, which is a terrible phobia to have. While this show is old, it really shows Takahashi at her best; more frantic than ranma, and I think weirder as well, and funnier.

Maison Ikkoku.
I also think this is overlooked because of it's age. Not as old as Urusei Yatsura (though the manga was published during the same period as UY) but still pretty old to most people. While this show takes a while to go anywhere, like most Takahashi series' it does actually end, and in the process it's pretty great.

Otaku no Video.
Again, the age factor here. The animation isn't great, the art is ok, but the theme and story of this anime is classic. Many fans I here don't like this anime because of it's unflattering portayal of Otaku, and because they see way too much of themselves in the characters and get freaked out when they see how dorky they look. Personaly I love it because of it's honest look at fandom, and laugh when I see things that resemble my own fanatasism, if anything it reinforces my love of anime and manga. Otaku self depracation.

Battle Royal Highschool: I'm going out on a limb here saying this anime is good. It's one of the most excessive and gratuitous late 80's OAV to come out. It's got just about everything you could ask for: Highschool romance, Highschool fighting, underwolrd possesions, demon beast queens, evil giant teddy bears, timecops (!), lonewolf badass guys in long coats with psycic powers and swords, gnarly over the top violence and more. This is a classic example of a one shot OAV adapted from a manga. There is barely any pacing, the story is incomprehensible, and new characters seem to pop out every 10 minutes, seeminlgy out of nowhere. The art is stunningly 80's, with overperportioned male characters who are 16 but look 35 with grotesque looking faces. It's not cerebral by any stretch but it sure is fun to watch
igtenos

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:15 am Reply with quote
Overrated:

InuYasha, definitely. I've seen up to around episode 110 or so via fansubs before stopping. Not even Dragonball Z drags on as badly as Inuyasha does. While there are minor story hooks now & then, it's the same basic plot run-around all throughout the series where Inuyasha & co. are constantly chasing after Naraku over and over and over and over again. Absolutely trash.

Underrated:

I defintely want to add my voice to those who support Crest of the Stars. Yes, the pacing is slow, but the character development flows nicely and the cast is very likeable. It's nice to see a male lead that's not utterly useless.

Fruit Basket is another series that deserves more praise, but it is plagued by the same pacing problems that CotS has. It's slow, but the development is top-notch and the story is genuinely 'cute'. A great show to watch after watching a bunch of action/mecha shows. I sincerely hope there will be a sequel eventually. And if not... Tokyopop is bringing over the manga.
mufurc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Overrated:
- Evangelion - definitely over-hyped, and, at least in my opinion, far from being the greatest anime ever.
- Akira - ditto. I've seen it once, it was good, but that's all.
- Fushigi Yuugi - bishounen (and bishoujo) everywhere! I love pretty character-designs, but this is too much for me (same with Ayashi no Ceres). Also, the story ("girl falls into another world, and falls in love with the mysterious and handsome swordsman, meanwhile she's surrounded by beautiful guys") is like a bad fanfic. Not to mention the excessive "love-love" plaguing everything. (I mean, I like romantic stories, but this is too much.)
- Gundam Wing - annoying characters, annoying mecha ("light-scythe"? gimme a break!), and generic storyline makes this inferior to (almost) any other Gundam series. But this is the most popular, because a) this is the only Gundam people know (and are interested in) besides Gundam Seed; and b) it's full of pretty boys. GW is basically just another "bishounen anime" like Saiyuuki or Weiss Kreuz. (I'm a woman, I like yaoi, but no, I don't like the aforementioned shows.)
- X TV series - Yes, it's very pretty, yes, it's good to see the detailed backgrounds of the secondary characters. However, this doesn't justify the complete neglection of the main characters (Fuuma and Kamui) and their relationship; and it definitely doesn't justify their degradation to a generic I-will-destroy-the-world-hahaha villain (Fuuma) and a generic whiny hero (Kamui). And what's with those last two episodes? It's probably the most anticlimatic ending I've ever seen; not to mention its cheesiness. I still prefer the movie to the series, with all its faults.
- Gravitation - "the best yaoi series"? It's not even yaoi! Actually, it's nothing more than a generic boy x girl story, where the girl's role is played by a boy. Boring. (And the two main characters annoy the hell out of me.)

Personally, I don't think DBZ, Sailormoon, and Pokemon are overrated... In fact, it's kinda fashionable to diss these shows, completely overlooking their good points. (And yeah, Pokemon may be annoying or appalling for a teenager or an adult, but hey, it's made for small kiddies, for god's sake! It works pretty good for them.)

Underrated:
- Legend of Galactic Heroes - most people don't even start watching this one because a) "the art is ugly" (yes, it's not the prettiest thing ever, though it gets very nice towards the end) and b) "it's long" (but if people can sit through Inuyasha and others, it's not much of an excuse). And anyway, the story is so complex and encompasses so many levels (politics, sociology, countless characters, interesting relationships, etc) that it'd be impossible to tell it in less than those 110 episodes. Everyone, but at least CotS fans should check this anime out - it's quite addictive, and it's also one of the best anime I've ever seen. (And those space battles are to die for - hundreds of thousands of ships dancing around to classical music...)
- Oniisama e, Versailles no bara - (almost) everyone loves Utena, but most people don't care (or don't even know) about its predecessors, even though they're among the greatest classics of anime and the shoujo genre. Yes, old-school shoujo is probably an acquired taste and it's not for everyone, but it deserves so much more attention than it gets.
- Infinite Ryvius - "Lord of the Flies in space" - but for me, Ryvius was more disturbing and thought-provoking than the novel. It has an "original" story (as far as sci-fi mecha anime go), intriguing characters and relationships, also a pretty nice mecha. Surprisingly few people have heard about it. It deserves much more attention.
- Berserk - this is probably the most popular among the underrated shows I've mentioned, but it's still pretty much overlooked (which is funny, seeing the popularity of Hellsing & Co.). I. D. M. M. A.

Well, there are many more, but these are the ones I could think of right now. ^^
NickGXZ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Over Rated
Gundam Wing
Mainly because of its excessive babbleing between pilots is what made this entirely uninteresting to me. As cool as the action in this anime is, I think its entirely overrated. The main reason is because of the excessive babbleing, it tried to copy the success of MS Gundam and FAILED horrably.

G Gundam
I think the people who made the original MS Gundam series really blew it with this one. Why? They made a anime with a overdone "Fight to be the best" and "Side battles galore" gimik. I liked this anime when it first showed on CN, however, when I saw MS Gundam, I tried to avoid it.

Dragonball Z
While being quite a anime in its old glory days (and it is, the hype over it is JUST WAY TOO MUCH), its a decent anime. Though, too many meaningless battles makes it unapealing to the eye of a expereanced Otaku.

Underrated
Silent Mobius
A anime not really too uniqe (I don't know when Gatekeepers was made, I know this was made in the early 1990's, as I looked into it on the net), "The fighting force of women against some random enemy." I did like the story of this anime, and the background of each character was OK in my opinion.

Betterman
While the only few downsides I can think of for this anime is that its a Mecha anime with a very complicated dialog (Hint hint, Eva), I liked it. I'm not so sure that everything that was said in the anime was true, but hey, I learned a bit.

What I don't like:
Crest of the Stars

WAAAAAAAAAAY over done storyline. "Alien's crash land on forbidden planet EARTH" and "Alien must prevent being captured/killed by military"(Sounds like ET to me) Yeah...ok... . The intro of this anime was LESS THEN SUB-PAR. My god, what kind of budget were these creators on?

On the Boarder:
Trigun
You name me a storyline simliar to this. And I'll give you a cookie + 600 bucks.
Sorry if I've offended fans, but thats my thoughts. Later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Ramen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 7:15 pm Reply with quote
NickGXZ wrote:
What I don't like:
Crest of the Stars

WAAAAAAAAAAY over done storyline. "Alien's crash land on forbidden planet EARTH" and "Alien must prevent being captured/killed by military"(Sounds like ET to me) Yeah...ok... . The intro of this anime was LESS THEN SUB-PAR. My god, what kind of budget were these creators on?

Um, what series were you looking at? I think you must have caught only the last arc, because Crest of the Stars is not about aliens crashing on Earth. That part on the planet (which isn't Earth) is only a third of the whole story. If anything, Crest/Banner is probably one of the most underrated anime out right now.

NickGXZ wrote:
On the Boarder:
Trigun
You name me a storyline simliar to this. And I'll give you a cookie + 600 bucks.

Really? Let's see... Guy with a tragic past who has caused death to countless people tries to atone by vowing not to kill. Let's try Rurouni Kenshin. Okay, where do I collect Smile
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Umm, Vash has never killed spoiler[ No one has ever died from his attacks. Not even Knives at the end. The closest thing to make this statement true is the deaths that Knives has caused, which are staggering. Infact, Vash is the anti-Kenshin, because Kenshin is trying to stop killing for the greater good, while Vash must kill for the greater good. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9