• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Edits Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awaken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm trying to get angry at this terrible news...but I just can't. Its just not something to get your panties in a twist. I understand the logic in this edit and the original creators approved it. Yeah its kinda sad that Viz doesn't thinking we can handle christian themes and symbolism in or anime/manga yet its such a small edit that why care at all? It barely contributes to the overall story and its not Tenjou Tenge edit bad.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Here's the real question: If no one created an article about it, would any of you be complaining? I'm guessing not.

Seriously, you would think that there would be more important things to criticize, especially today.

Last edited by Joe Mello on Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
denkigrve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Then it's a shame you're not going to buy it anymore, and it's a really asinine reason. Viz made a business decision, and it's not that drastic. They didn't cut the story, and they hardly changed it much. The symbolism is stillt there. You just have to dig a little deeper now. (not really THAT deep either)

Viz is one of the better companies out there. They release fairly clean edits and admit mistakes. I still have volumes of GTO from Tokyopop with empty word bubbles, english overlaying japanese text and some spelling errors (all in one volume). Now THAT is a reason to boycott, and complain. That's sloppy. Paying money for poorly edited material is bad. I still remember the issue with a One Piece volume. Viz replaced everyones copy for FREE. That's taking responsiblity.

This type of edit Viz has done for this volume is okay. Remove entire sections of the story, and change the story and it makes a difference.

Dark Horse did a similar edit with Ghost in the Shell and I didn't hear any complaining. The pages came back later, but for years it was released editied, and only the hardcore fans cared. I still own and read both copies.

Boycotting Viz is really not the answer. Complaining about this edit isn't a problem either. Judging from the quality of the edit as well it's clean. It looks as though nothing was changed. It's not some 10 minute paint bucket job, or blur effect in photoshop. Someone took the time to cleanly edit that. That is okay. It does NOT change the story, it does NOT remove the symbolizm, and it does NOT by any means stand out. Had the Japanese volume never been accessible you would have never known or cared. Viz made their choice, and published it. It's over, and there is no going back unless they release a 2nd edition later. That however is highly unlikely. So I urge you to spend your energy elsewhere.

Last edited by denkigrve on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Oren

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
joel_s95387 wrote:

What does piss me off is typos. I know there is one in the first volume. It just make me feels that the company doesn't care about the manga and don't even bother revising for errors.

Death Note Volume 6

ungodly ammount of typos Anime hyper;
seichan80

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Here's the real question: If no one created an article about it, would any of you be complaining? I'm guessing not.

i'm guessing animenewsnetwork.com is secretly pro-unediting or pro-discussion which is why articles like this get posted every once in awhile.
Necrontry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I must admit it is a very well done edit. If it wasn't pointed out I doubt most people would notice it. If the edit was blatently obvious; poorly done; done for no appearent reason or significantly changed the plot I would be upset. However, this edit is well done, done for a good reason, as it is an issue Viz would not want to deal with, and has no effect on the plot. So there is really no reason to complain. Go Viz Go!
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Oren wrote:
joel_s95387 wrote:

What does piss me off is typos. I know there is one in the first volume. It just make me feels that the company doesn't care about the manga and don't even bother revising for errors.

Death Note Volume 6

ungodly ammount of typos Anime hyper;

Descendants of Darkness also had many typos and name differences across the 11 volumes released. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
denkigrve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Successful_Troll wrote:
Radical Lindsay wrote:
And really, if Viz says their edits got appoval from the creator, who are you to complain?

We're the fans. You know, the people that actually spend their hard earned money on this stuff. And you don't really know how Viz gets approval from the creators, they could tell them either okay us editing that page or we just take that page out. I'm sure most creators would rather have a minor edit like the shape of the stone instead of a major one like a missing page. If Viz told them that if they didn't okay the edit they would print the page exactly as it was originally printed I would hope that most creators would tell them not to edit it. Really this stuff is just ridiculous. These companies need to grow a pair and stop listening to every idiot that complains that they were offended by something. You're offended? Guess what, too bad. Get some thicker skin.

You do know they get permission. A company publishing a public statement that is going to cause them legal issues. If the creator found out, and they did NOT give permission then Viz could lose the contract at best. At worst could face fines and lawsuits. This isn't a game. This company knows that it has to please the fans. Viz has been around probably longer than you have been into Anime/Manga. This is a company that tries DAMN hard to please YOU. The fan. They can't always win, and compromises have to be made sometimes. All big companies face this at some point.

This edit is so tiny and insignificant that it does NOT alter the story, and it's a quality edit. Everyone needs to step down from their soap boxes, and as you put it "grow a pair." Bite the bullet. This is America. Land of the law suit. Viz made a smart choice in avoiding the possiblity of a parent claiming that Viz is marketing anti-christian material to young children. They are a company that focuses on Children, teens, and young adults. It's thier major market right now. You guys need to think outside of your small world, and open your eyes to the larger world around you. This edit is TINY in comparison to half of things that could have been done.
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
I find this completely stupid. If it was good enough for TOKYOPOP to do in Rebirth #11, it's good enough for Viz.

See below:

[img]

They can get away with printing that, but they have to edit out a few measly nipples? And the fact that only the nipples were edited out of this scene and not the stuff that was going on around them is absolutely mind boggling.

EDIT:
Quote:
Descendants of Darkness also had many typos and name differences across the 11 volumes released. Rolling Eyes

You forgot to mention the removal of the blowjob scene in volume four, by far the biggest edit Viz has made to the series thus far.

Last edited by Wolverine Princess on Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
The edit is stupid and, in my opinion, unnecessary, but it doesn't affect the story and you wouldn't know about it if someone didn't tell you. And it's not like Viz editin manga is anything new. In fact, its all to frequent. While their edits are not as bad as TenTen, they do it far more often than any of the other publishers. I"s is the worst offender, but Naruto, Bleach, and others recieve minor edits but I don't recall them making news here. It would be nice if there was something here (in the encyclopedia, perhaps) to keep track of manga that are edited.
SannaSK

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Hey, Viz....

if it's so important that you opiate the fundamentalist masses who would care so much about ONE cross on ONE page in volume seven... you know, those people obviously wouldn't like the REST of the subject matter of this story....

why don't you pay a little more attention to the fans who actually READ your stuff and spend money on it....

-- and invest in a spell checker?

-- and standardize whatever spellings of people/place's names you want to use? (call it Rizemboul or Rizembool or Risenburg... just call it ONE THING. for all your volumes. every amature novelist knows how to make a 'story bible' for important details like character name spellings.)

-- stop mixing up speech bubbles?

one cross is so bad? isn't it bad that two children try to usurp an entire sub-society's laws and bring their mom back from the dead? "What are we teaching our children, that breaking the prime directive before we've hit puberty is worth glorifying and hero-izing? we're teaching them to be hooligans!"

one cross is so evil? How many thousands of people do you think the romans executed on crosses? Jesus wasn't the only one to die like that, you know. Who cares WHAT He died on, the point of that story is THAT He died and came back. which is also echoed in FMA! Greed is a Jesus figure! He's a homunculous! Somebody died, Father (ohh symbology right there!) tried to bring the person back, and bing! There's a Greed! And wouldn't that make the other homunculi distorted-Jesus figures too? ohs nos! how eeeevil!

Viz, if you're worried about people who might take offense at a cross, you are worried about far too little, far too late. Grow up, ignore the idiots who aren't even buying your stuff anyway, and get your OWN act together and fix the stupid problems that the people writing your paychecks (namely, the real fans) actually care about.

.... i seriously ponder cleaning this up and snail mailing them............... *sigh* companies in this for the money alone make me sad... and make me wish i knew enough japanese to go translate and get it RIGHT........
Radical Lindsay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Lol, I know I'd get a reply to that part. Anime hyper It's just a figure of speech; I wanted to remind complainers that it has the creator's approval.

Successful_Troll wrote:
And you don't really know how Viz gets approval from the creators...Really this stuff is just ridiculous. These companies need to grow a pair and stop listening to every idiot that complains that they were offended by something. You're offended? Guess what, too bad. Get some thicker skin.

I'm pretty sure you don't know how they get approval either, unless you're actually in the business and we don't know that. And sinse all we have is an official statement from Viz saying that, I think we should give them the benefit of the doubt until something else offical states otherwise and counts it.
As I said, I myself am not offended, but other people are, and given how many people are in America, how many are Christian, and how popular both the publisher and series is, it was most likely a good business decision, imo. Sometimes we gotta anticipate these things and respect others' feelings and beliefs.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

Seriously, you would think that there would be more important things to criticize, especially today.

If no one knew what happened in the '30s and '40s with The Holocaust, would anyone be complaining? I'm guessing not.

Seriously, now that we know what Viz Media did to the manga, we have a right to complain.

By the way, in no way whatsoever was I comparing what happened to the Fullmetal Alchemist manga to The Holocaust. Naturally, this current problem is infinitely smaller than any tragedy on the scale of The Holocaust.
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I personally (note how I said "personally") don't see the big deal in this. I think there are people out there who'd get offended by seeing a cross used in an "un-holy" setting and get angered by it, and therefore cause a drop in sales of the manga. I don't see how the edit would matter much, unless of course it has something big to do with the context it's in. If that cross was somehow crucial to the story, it would be a whole different story. Of course, I have yet to read the FMA manga, so I wouldn't know.
denkigrve

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:08 pm Reply with quote
SannaSK wrote:
Hey, Viz....

*sigh* companies in this for the money alone make me sad... and make me wish i knew enough japanese to go translate and get it RIGHT........

You better stop buying ANY consumer product. EVERY company is out there to make money. You can't succeed or stay in business otherwise. This comment is one that people make all to often when they have little to no understanding of how real business works. You need to step out into the real world and open your eyes. Even companies that claim they are there to "help" are there to make money. You don't personally know the CEO of Viz. You have never heard the CFO of Viz stating this so you can't make blind judgement like that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 27