• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Service, Merchandise

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
EyeOfPain wrote:
There have been a few instances in the last couple seasons where CR got non-NA rights for some FUNi-licensed shows.

Yes, that's true. Barakamon is an example.

It's happening more and more these days. They got Black Butler Book of Circus for the UK and a few other places, and I'm sure I read that they got Twintails for non English speaking territories.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:28 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
I did not know Great Eastern actually manufactured the merchandise themselves. Cool!

Actually, that was something I had sort of been wondering about for a while now. I have plenty of GE merchandise, and it always says it was made in Taiwan, so it started to make me wonder if they actually produced the goods themselves.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
It's happening more and more these days. They got Black Butler Book of Circus for the UK and a few other places, and I'm sure I read that they got Twintails for non English speaking territories.

Except Twintails is excluded from UK & Scandinavia for whatever strange reason. Not that it matters I'm still following it, and same likely goes for other people in those regions who were interested in it. As said various times in the past but it's worth reiterating, region blocks in this day and age don't make sense regardless of reasons...
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Last time I checked, the UK wasn't a non English speaking territory Razz No idea about Scandinavia though.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
But that's 'cus record companies are greedy as fark, and don't seem to realize the true potential value of introducing introducing catalog music to younger audiences. [I'm looking at you, dumbass companies holding back Girls on Film for the U.S. release of Speed Grapher and Yello music for the UK dub of Cobra.] So they end up losing even more market share to the Swifts and Rihannas of the world. Oh, and this overprotective paranoia's gotten to the point that it hit manga, too. Dark Horse had to effing change or remove lyrics, FFS, for some old song in a volume of the U.S. edition of Oh! My Goddess. Yeah, because people totally go to Youtube to rip music sheets. Rolling Eyes

I always had the impression that the record labels were afraid people would take the media that contained these songs, extract the audio, and have their own version without having to pay for them.

As for song lyrics, almost all musicians and record companies have no problem with that. If anything, it causes people to seek out the song, or appreciate it more. It is, after all, to the benefit of everybody that the song be made more understandable. The few cases where lyrics are banned are either from request of the musicians themselves (there is at least one heavy metal band that sends cease-and-desist letters to anyone who puts up lyrics of their songs or they suspect has an extract of those lyrics) or if there is something someone considers offensive and/or vulgar.

unitmikey wrote:
From my observations, people, especially younger audiences, just don’t have much of an idea (at all) about merchandise compared to online material, but I guess that’s part of the generational disconnect.

Well, younger audiences have to turn to their parents, and parents, of course, have the perspective of an adult (and, most often, a total lack of interest). If a kid, or teenagers in certain types of household (that is, those with strict parents or those where money is monitored carefully), want merchandise, the parents would do the judgment. Hence, the consumer him or herself would not really give much thought about the legitimacy of the merchandise. It'd all come down to the parents.

I should also say that some parents will deliberately seek out bootlegs because they are cheaper and the kids won't know the difference.

omiya wrote:
DerekTheRed wrote:
I usually skip Japanese OPs except for the first episode, but when they make it to the speakers my girlfriend always makes fun of the female voices and says anime music is terrible (Which I kind of agree with, hence the skipping).

Really? I can understand that some singers may be an acquired taste, but the best music of anime (vocal and instrumental) can be the equal of the best music anywhere.

I'm guessing it's because female voices in J-pop tend to be more high-pitched or carry a gentler tone than western pop music. They love those helium voices there.

Sewingrose wrote:
(Semi related story: At this year's Anime Expo I found one booth with a giant collection of bootleg decals, and several of them were from the webcomic Homestuck. However this year Homestuck's official merchandising team, What Pumpkin, was there with their own booth. So I went and told them about it, and they made the guy take down the bootleg decals. I felt so happy and vindicated afterwards, take that bootleggers!)

Anime Expo will bring the hammer down hard on any vendor that gets reported and proven to have bootleg merchandise. This year, there must ave been at least six booths in the exhibit hall that had bootleg Friendship Is Magic plushes, for instance.

MagicallyDelicious wrote:
I do 97% of my purchasing direct from Japan (through AmiAmi mostly) so I'm always appalled when I go to anime cons and there's so many bootlegs... and most people don't really seem to notice!

There are a few reasons for this: Some bootlegs can be hard to tell from the real thing, especially if the real thing isn't present for comparison; people at conventions are excited and will buy things impulsively; and some con-goers frankly don't care.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
A lot of bootlegs *ARE* (almost) as good as the 'real' thing. I am not gonna pay dozens of euro's more for a figurine of the same character. I am a poor student, I do want to collect otaku merchandise, but I also want to pay for games on steam to support that industry, so yeah, I will buy the cheapest figure which loooks good in the dealer room and assume it's okay. BTW, I have been going to cons for 5 years, am a really hardcore otaku, all my friends are too, and I no literally not a single person who thinks differently. Just saying.
white_moon_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I've bought a few of GE's Sailor Moon plushies, and I like their look better than Bandai's. Their figures however...
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:10 am Reply with quote
ANN forums: where badasses unironically calling themselves "otaku" brag about all the bootlegs they own.

varmintx wrote:
jymmy wrote:
I think it's still the song I listen to the most, but it did get me to listen to The Delgados as a band. Lain's OP "Duvet" did the same thing for me with Bôa.
Yeah, I got all their albums; "Hate" is my favorite followed by--the oddly appropriately titled for this Answerman talkback--"The Great Eastern."

My dad, kind of a classic rock nut, thinks "All You Need Is Kill" is a travesty against not only grammar but Lennon's song. I haven't had the heart to mention the lyrics to "Hate"'s title track.
kj_4247

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
the questions shown in the typewriter font is cool! keep doing that
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
white_moon_ wrote:
I've bought a few of GE's Sailor Moon plushies, and I like their look better than Bandai's. Their figures however...

Ah, they sell plushes? That's good. I should check to see which of my many plushes come from Great Eastern. Are there any easily-identifiable marks on the labels and such? I had never heard of Great Eastern until this column.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I should check to see which of my many plushes come from Great Eastern. Are there any easily-identifiable marks on the labels and such? I had never heard of Great Eastern until this column.

One of the plushies I have is "Manufactured by GREAT EASTERN ENTERTAINMENT CO. INC." according to the label.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
My dad, kind of a classic rock nut, thinks "All You Need Is Kill" is a travesty against not only grammar but Lennon's song. I haven't had the heart to mention the lyrics to "Hate"'s title track.
Well, I love The Beatles and I love "Hate." It reminds me of A Perfect Circle's cover of "Imagine." That version doesn't change any of the lyrics, but changes the tone to the point that it changes the meaning. Much like "Hate," it's more of a condemnation of what the world has become juxtaposed with what it was hoped to be in the two Lennon songs.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Yuzu77 wrote:
eragon2890 wrote:
A lot of bootlegs *ARE* (almost) as good as the 'real' thing. I am not gonna pay dozens of euro's more for a figurine of the same character. I am a poor student, I do want to collect otaku merchandise, but I also want to pay for games on steam to support that industry, so yeah, I will buy the cheapest figure which loooks good in the dealer room and assume it's okay.

Being short on money is not a valid reason to buy bootlegs. You are only hurting the franchises that you supposedly care about by doing so. Additionally, you could be putting your health at risk by buying bootleg figures, as they tend to be made with sub-par materials that are significantly more toxic.

Very true. The creators of a show/game/whatever get exactly nothing from bootleg sales. Even if the only money they see is the licensing fee that the manufacturer, like Great Eastern, pays, that is still much better than nothing. Even if someone has to save up and can only buy one piece of merchandise, instead of several bootlegs, I guarantee the creators would say that is far more "okay" than bootlegs. I've been a poor college student and a poor law student and even a poor high school student before that, and I still managed to save up to buy legitimate merchandise.

Plus, you're exactly right about the inferior materials. It's relatively common for things like plushies to be filled with things like fiber glass. That stuff is great for insulation, but it's not something you want to cuddle up with anytime soon.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:51 pm Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
A lot of bootlegs *ARE* (almost) as good as the 'real' thing. I am not gonna pay dozens of euro's more for a figurine of the same character. I am a poor student, I do want to collect otaku merchandise, but I also want to pay for games on steam to support that industry, so yeah, I will buy the cheapest figure which loooks good in the dealer room and assume it's okay. BTW, I have been going to cons for 5 years, am a really hardcore otaku, all my friends are too, and I no literally not a single person who thinks differently. Just saying.

I can see this as a legal loophole: A person is arrested for selling what is deemed counterfeit merchandise but that person is able of showing the courts they were selling the real product(s).
Maokun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I had a girlfriend that scoffed at all anime. Imagine my surprise the time when I was playing Serial Experiments Lain's Duvet and she started singing along. Turns out that she was a fan of Boa, which was surprising in several levels as I've never met anyone else who even knew that band existed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6