• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ling Tosite SIGURE Remove 'Knife' From Psycho-Pass Film Theme Lyrics in TV Performance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Although I can understand the changes need for this song, it couldn't be help given the recent event around ISIS. So it's understandable why they remove knife from the lyrics.

Also AnimeTenchou's use of what is deemed a racial epithet to US speakers and said in the UK it's not considered a racial slur/insults, this ladies and gentleman (and Nbahn) is an example of language and cultural barrier that exist within UK and US speaker. Yes, there is a language barrier even within the English language. I mean watch this video and you'll see why American English speakers would be confused by some differences in British English spoken. I also know your average American may not know what or who the Flying Squad are (unless you studied abroad in UK, or a big fan of UK pop culture).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
@mdo7
Please do not attempt to open up that resolved controversy.
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@mdo7
Please do not attempt to open up that resolved controversy.

My apologies, but I think people needed to know that there are language barrier in the English language (particularly American and British English). Not trying to stir up controversy, but I'm just reminding people language barrier does exist in the English language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
There is no "language barrier" between US and UK English. There are some differences that are fun to note. Almost always you can tell what was intended by the context of the usage. Google can help or you can just ask if you don't understand something.

In the case referred to I don't believe that this was an actual difference but just someone attempting to defend the indefensible.

Personally I think the use of initials to denote the titles of anime programs cause more miscommunication than any US/UK differences. Also people coming here with "internet speak" are often almost incomprehensible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4