• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Can't Idol Singers Have Lives Of Their Own?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
You're missing the point: if fans ever do "get over themselves" and stop taking it so seriously, the idol industry is dead.

Just-another-face wrote:
[...]

Sounds like progress to me.

nobahn wrote:

I completely concur; you took the words right out of my mouth.

Then it can be remade into an industry that respects the pursuit of happiness.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:

Doesn't fly in East Asia. Sure, it can go on the overboard, but at least expectations and promises are for the most part kept. It's a relationship among the idols and fans that Western outsiders are unwilling to understand.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to respond to this, because I was having a hard time putting this into words without sounding like I was demonizing you for your choice of entertainment, but I've decided to give it another go.

Personally speaking, I am extremely uncomfortable with the idea of dictating how someone lives their life just so I can feel happy and self-satisfied. It feels extremely oppressive on both me and the idol, as well as extremely selfish on my part.

Yes, the idol in question agreed to this job. But Justin's comparison to beauty pageants was spot-on; I'm sure the women involved are invested, spent a lot of money, spent of a lot of time preparing, and yes, scholarships are often the aim of pageants. But when you get right down to it, you're still parading women around to show them off. And no amount of glitter and glam is going to change that. :/
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
This is why I don't like the idol industry. Having your fantasy is fine but forcing them to not have a love life to support that illusion is not appropriate. Just because they signed up to be idols shouldn't mean they have to put up with their illusions. Someone needs to tell the obsessive idol otaku to get over themselves and that idols are people not objects for your fantasies.

That being said, they may have made the solution to the problem of idols being human beings that have needs themselves, namely with virtual idols like Hatsune Miku. Miku doesn't have those needs, and thus they are not infringed by fans' illusions. You could say a similar thing about other fictional idols like those from Love Live or Idolmaster, though the ills of the idol industry might be projected onto VAs. People already obsess over those things, so there is a market for them, though whether that can fully replace them is an open question

Well said. That's part of the reason why Wake Up, Girls' movie held my interest. I usually can't stand idol shows or characters but that iteration felt more honest about the somewhat seedy underbelly beneath the candy-bright veneer.
nixice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:12 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
OP here. One of the reasons I wanted to ask this question is that Kuribayashi is not a squeaky teen pop star. She is freaking 39 years old, and her recent style is much more in line with her age, such as the video (loads slowly, sorry) for "Signs", the ED of Total Eclipse. As Justin said, "her image wasn't a particularly cutesy one…", and it kind of floors me that fans or management would have the same expectations of middle-aged adults as they do of school idols.

Yeah, I was hoping Justin would get into that a little better (and maybe he'll come through browsing the thread) because I think the Answerman answered the general question of "what the hell, Japan??", but not the specific question about why a grown woman would have to apologize for something so normal.

Yes, idol culture and business is lucrative and ludicrous, but at what point are you no longer an "idol" and instead a working woman? Can that transition be made? (Nobody stays in AKB-48 forever...) Or are there expectations that an idol disappear from public spotlight if they are no longer able to maintain idol status? (And if you are an idol primarily because you are a cute pre-teen, how do go about that since it is impossible to remain 14 forever?)

Also, is there not a difference between the Idol and the Seiyuu? (I know voice acting is idolized, that there are followers who know stats and traits about all their favorite actors/actresses and seek their work out specifically, but how common is it for Japanese fans to have the same "purity" standards for VO talent, especially since the majority are into their 20s, 30s, 40s and beyond?) Especially when Justin makes the priority distinction between talent and adorableness as a key drive of Idol fandom, does that not eventually stop applying to actresses as they move through roles and establish themselves as something other than the voice behind the character that sold you a hug pillow?

Certainly there's a cultural aspect that's worth being talked about as far as Idol culture and the non-Japanese anime fan's confusion over it, and there are aspects of this story that encourage that conversation to come up. (Though maybe not, as there were also parts of the passed-around translation of Kuribayashi's letter that seemed problematic as well; it was hard to tell if she was apologizing to the fans for 'destroying her image' or to her management for potentially losing gigs due to her pregnancy and ensuing child-rearing duties? It could have also been a general expression of shame of becoming pregnant in the first place, given that the father was not named and she is not known to be married?) But as informative as Answerman was on Idol culture, I'm not sure it fully answers the question of why a 39-year-old woman feels the need to apologize to the public for becoming pregnant?

jirg1901 wrote:
Immediately after she posted it Masami Okui (a fellow singer she's worked with often and friend for the last decade or so with plenty to lose) tweeted the blog article and her support.
Kouki Yoshimune, who has been closely involved with her career on nearly every level for the last 15+ years, cheerleaded heavily until recently and is/was still arguably her boss, hasn't even acknowledged it.

Particularly given she herself says she wasn't able to announce it due to differences of opinion rather than personal fear I think the damage here is going to be much more between individuals in the business over the decision to announce it than the reaction of the fans, who are predominately supportive and would have to be amazingly deluded to be surprised aside from the somewhat bizarre circumstances. Then again that decision could have been driven by a fractured relationship already, nobody's exactly jumping up to explain the situation, which allows some concerning speculation and rumours. It's not really an ideal example of "Japanese idol culture".

Interesting. The practice of including an apology as part of a statement (particularly a controversial statement) is practically part of the language in Japan, so maybe we are in the west putting too much emphasis on the concept of an apology as we know it and instead should understand it as a method of beginning to make a difficult statement. (In any culture, it's still tough to talk about an unplanned pregnancy, which is most likely the case here.) She seems proud of the child and, in what's been translated, just seems to be feeling the weight that this puts on her professional career, so maybe she's more well-adjusted than we give credit for and she just felt, whether it be cultural or professional limitations, that this was how to make such a statement?
Actar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
@maximilianjesus
No, I don't think actors are objectified. Actors can flip out on and off camera, throw temper tantrums, be high-maintence, join weird religions, etc. without that severely affecting their careers, largely because the audience is paying for their performance, not their actual person.

Well, actors are a different case where their fictional identities on screen are usually the ones that are being pushed, as opposed to the actors themselves. For instance, you see a myriad of Iron Man merchandise but you won't see a figure of Robert Downey Junior.

It is precisely the idea of the separation of person and product that makes all the difference. Let's not pretend that this doesn't happen in the West as well, especially with pop stars. How many girls want Justin Bieber to marry them? If you see some of the videos that tear down teen magazines, Justin's personal and private life is constantly being monitored.

In the end though, I don't want to impose my moral judgement on to others - especially because I don't have a clear picture of what's going on. Who are the villains and victims here? Are the fans really to blame? Are the corporations not exploiting their loneliness by giving them the fantasy that they want? Do the girls know full well what they're getting themselves into but still want to be worshiped?
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
(Please don't bring up Kannagi, because that's an isolated incident due to the nature of the character and story.)

Actually, I think it is pretty relevant. "The nature of her character" is that she's a centuries-old deity. The idea that she "must be" a virgin is ridiculous to me, and the mere possibility presented that she might not be driving fans into a frenzy of hate is likewise ridiculous, and there's not a tremendous amount of difference between "mai 2D waifu must be pure" and "this idol must be pure".

The only reason Kannagi is an isolated incident is because no other mangaka writing similar kinds of stories has had the guts to present a main love interest who's had anything resembling a relationship with anyone other than the male lead/reader self-insert receptacle. (Edit: recently. Maison Ikkoku, for example, could never get made these days.)

DmonHiro wrote:
if fans ever do "get over themselves" and stop taking it so seriously, the idol industry is dead.

Good. And nothing of value was lost.

Paiprince wrote:
And I have a friend who works as one. He wouldn't take what you just posted sitting down. Just saying.

And most actual meth dealers wouldn't take it sitting down if you called them scum. Just saying.

The idol industry sickens me. Fans expecting/demanding the same kinds of "purity" in anime and manga characters sickens me. Partly because it feeds into the culture of objectifying women, and partly because it makes for a severe lack of variety in stories.

Last edited by Sakagami Tomoyo on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
We see them as singers, and compare them to our own young, attractive women that sing on television: the Taylor Swifts and Justin Biebers of the world.

Laughing Even on ANN, there is no escape for Bieber.

As for the topic at hand, personally, I see a WWE wrestler as being similar to a Japanese Idol, rather than a western musician/actor.

Main reason is, both an idol and WWE wrestler (well, the wrestler could be from any company) are marketed based off of a persona they create. Sure, the wrestler can have a family and what not, while the idol can't. But, there is a time and place where the wrestler must be "in character", and that isn't always in front of a camera.

Though, I'm unsure if there are many wrestling fans willing to kill the wrestler's partner etc, so the crux of why idols can't live their own life doesn't apply to a wrestler. Unless I've missed a wrestler that was based of off "purity"? Laughing

And, the realities of the idol industry are why I can never watch an idol anime (I've tried). While I admit to not being a fan of the sort of music an idol usually produces, I've watched anime where I don't like the music before (Kids on the Slope), and still came out loving the series.

The reality of it all will always hang over the show, and that is just how I am. Can't separate the two, so I just avoid them all together.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And this is something I don't get either. Why would you do this to yourself? Can't you just be a singer and not an idol or are you "forced" to be one in Japan?
I constantly ask myself "why" when I watch idol shows, why would this character want be someone who's just there to be someone's fake girlfriend.
"I always dreamt of being an idol", not "I always dreamt of being a singer", why? Granted, most idol shows are there for idol fans and that's that but I constantly wonder what type of human being would subject themselves to this and be happy about it.
That's mostly why most characters in these type of shows just feel really fake to me, but that's also probably because they have to be, for the type of people they want to appeal. Everyone is just trying too hard, crying, screaming, over what? This type of life? Nah, just can't really accept it.

Well, aren't pretty much all idols middle to high school aged? That in and of itself should be an indication as to why they want to be idols. They buy into the fakeness of it all as well, since they're impressionable, and exploitable young girls who probably don't know any better thinking they'll get fame, fortune and money. Then suddenly when they see it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, they're stuck in a contract that prohibits doing everything that makes her, her, until she gets too old for the idol group and is let go or "graduates".
Paiprince

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:07 pm Reply with quote
@Tomoyo

Really? Comparing managers to drug dealers? Really typical for someone who has a reactionary and contrary view of something to resort to false analogies and other logical fallacies.

Aren't you all just as guilty to instantly buying that the industry is nothing more than a manufactured personality factory? That there is more to the side than just damn grim and shallow two-facedness. So much for partiality and empathy.

@whiskeyii

Yes, it's their decision. Are they going to regret it? Perhaps, but it's not always the case. Like you guys said, they're human. What they think is right for them may not be for others.

@animalia

Such as? They're pretty much on the same level.

@tenebrae

Yeah, just antagonize the entire entertainment world. That'll teach 'em.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Yeah the girls get fame, but not much fortune out of it. They're not much different than farm animals kept and fed well for profit and winning awards at shows and sent to "retirement" when no good profit can be had from them. In short; a means to an end. An "idol farm".
As someone who enjoys the output of quite a few male idols (more for their acting roles than singing, to be honest), I do feel like female idols often get the short end of the stick. At least a lot of the boys (young men really) end up rewarded with actual careers that will sustain them beyond their teens/early-20s. Say what you will about Johnnys Entertainment but at least they don't just "graduate" (read: "dispose of") boys once they are 20-something, but rather maintain idol groups in a range of ages.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that part of the reason some girls want to be idols is the same as in most cultures: the values that surround them as they grow up. Oh, I don't doubt that in many -- perhaps most cases the girls who end up becoming idols had personalities that lent themselves to that pursuit. But I think it would be a mistake to ignore the societal input here.

I also feel that the whole "miko" aspect of Japanese culture may have some sort of connection to the whole "Idols must be pure" thing: the idea that certain women are expected to sacrifice their happiness for the benefit of others and to remain pure as part of their duties.

I find the whole Idol thing deplorable.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
@Tomoyo

Really? Comparing managers to drug dealers? Really typical for someone who has a reactionary and contrary view of something to resort to false analogies and other logical fallacies.

I claim no credit or responsibility for making the analogy to begin with - that dubious honour goes to TrailOfDead. I was largely pointing out that "X profession has insult levelled at it - statement that member of X profession would take issue with that" is pretty meaningless and itself doesn't address any issues that exist with X profession.

That said, hyperbolic though it is, the analogy is at least somewhat apt. Both are preying on the weakness and/or naivete of others to profit from them in an ultimately unhealthy way. The actual meth dealer does more direct physical damage, whereas the idol manager's damage is less pronounced and more mental/psychological in nature - and less damaging of the paying customer but more damaging of the idol. (Possibly less overall - comparing physical harm to psychological harm is always a tricky thing. Psychological harm is certainly not trivial, either way.)

Paiprince wrote:
Aren't you all just as guilty to instantly buying that the industry is nothing more than a manufactured personality factory? That there is more to the side than just damn grim and shallow two-facedness. So much for partiality and empathy.

This is not a conclusion that I've instantly arrived at - I've been seeing and hearing stuff about the idol industry for nearly as many years as I've been an anime fan, and that's quite a few. And I'll accept that there are idols who have meaningful amounts of actual talent, as well as producers/managers/other people who actually care about some of the idols in question. But those seem to be the exceptions, not the norm. And I do have empathy - but more for the girls taken in by it all and made to (attempt to) live up to these unrealistic ideals of purity.

In any case, I'm yet to see or hear anything from the producer/manager point of view to suggest that the industry isn't (mostly) manufactured and shallow. If you can provide such a thing, please do.

Paiprince wrote:
@animalia

Just so we're clear what's being said here, are you saying that an idol having a boyfriend is pretty much on the same level as a pop star sexually abusing children?
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:54 pm Reply with quote
OK, folks: Please pay attention.

I'm not going to name names. Instead, I will just request that people calm down and think twice before clicking on the "Submit" icon.
animalia555

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Sakagami Tomoyo wrote:
Paiprince wrote:
@Tomoyo

I claim no credit or responsibility for making the analogy to begin with - that dubious honour goes to TrailOfDead. I was largely pointing out that "X profession has insult levelled at it - statement that member of X profession would take issue with that" is pretty meaningless and itself doesn't address any issues that exist with X profession.

That said, hyperbolic though it is, the analogy is at least somewhat apt. Both are preying on the weakness and/or naivete of others to profit from them in an ultimately unhealthy way. The actual meth dealer does more direct physical damage, whereas the idol manager's damage is less pronounced and more mental/psychological in nature - and less damaging of the paying customer but more damaging of the idol. (Possibly less overall - comparing physical harm to psychological harm is always a tricky thing. Psychological harm is certainly not trivial, either way.)

Paiprince wrote:

This is not a conclusion that I've instantly arrived at - I've been seeing and hearing stuff about the idol industry for nearly as many years as I've been an anime fan, and that's quite a few. And I'll accept that there are idols who have meaningful amounts of actual talent, as well as producers/managers/other people who actually care about some of the idols in question. But those seem to be the exceptions, not the norm. And I do have empathy - but more for the girls taken in by it all and made to (attempt to) live up to these unrealistic ideals of purity.

In any case, I'm yet to see or hear anything from the producer/manager point of view to suggest that the industry isn't (mostly) manufactured and shallow. If you can provide such a thing, please do.

Paiprince wrote:
@animalia

Just so we're clear what's being said here, are you saying that an idol having a boyfriend is pretty much on the same level as a pop star sexually abusing children?
Thanks for the support , cause that is what it sounded like he/she was saying to me. And if she/he honestly believes that he/she needs SERIOUS help.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I wasn't explicit enough: Do not insult others. Please do not compel me to delete postings.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8