• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Haikyu!! Second Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:21 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Someone might've mentioned this already, but I only just now noticed that Terushima is playing with a tongue piercing, which seems a tad reckless considering you never know when you're going to get an uppercut from a ball or someone's head (esp. given how erratically this team plays).

I almost mentioned it in the review - is he the first character with a facial piercing (beyond earrings) that we've seen? It seems like an odd juxtaposition with Tsukishima's new safety sports glasses, but maybe that's the point.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This second half of the season really doesn't feel like it's moving fast enough for any real resolution in the ten episodes remaining, and while I'm not thrilled by that, I also wouldn't want it to gloss over the fact that all of these guys are individuals whose quirks affect the team as a whole, or stop showing that the opposing teams are just as human. Besides, who knows? Maybe it will mean we'll get a third season.

As others have said, a third season is pretty much a given, HQ has easily taken over the KuroBas empire, it's way too popular and (manga) spoiler[there is absolutely no way they'll even get to the end of the prefectural qualifiers in 10 episodes]. I actually feel the anime is going a bit too fast, the Johzenji game (as well as the one vs the 2m guy) felt a lot longer in the manga. It was particularly noticeable with Suga's time in court, it felt like a blink in the anime, while it was a lot more consequential in the manga (a favorite panel of mine was sadly omitted Sad ) . After taking their sweet time in the Tokyo training arc, it seems the anime's now going at breackneck pacespoiler[ to be able to get to the Seijo game], which tbh, I'm not really pleased about, since that means the remaining games will be super rushed, the total opposite of what I'd hoped.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16

Quote:
...Asahi's serve bending back the fingers and wrists of the blockers attempting to stop it ... they really look like they hurt

If by serve you meant spike, then yes this definitely looks painful. ;)
BVerfG

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:23 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Quote:
This second half of the season really doesn't feel like it's moving fast enough for any real resolution in the ten episodes remaining, and while I'm not thrilled by that, I also wouldn't want it to gloss over the fact that all of these guys are individuals whose quirks affect the team as a whole, or stop showing that the opposing teams are just as human. Besides, who knows? Maybe it will mean we'll get a third season.

As others have said, a third season is pretty much a given, HQ has easily taken over the KuroBas empire, it's way too popular and (manga) spoiler[there is absolutely no way they'll even get to the end of the prefectural qualifiers in 10 episodes]. I actually feel the anime is going a bit too fast, the Johzenji game (as well as the one vs the 2m guy) felt a lot longer in the manga. It was particularly noticeable with Suga's time in court, it felt like a blink in the anime, while it was a lot more consequential in the manga (a favorite panel of mine was sadly omitted Sad ) . After taking their sweet time in the Tokyo training arc, it seems the anime's now going at breackneck pacespoiler[ to be able to get to the Seijo game], which tbh, I'm not really pleased about, since that means the remaining games will be super rushed, the total opposite of what I'd hoped.

They took their sweet time with the training arc, alright (although I personally think, that the Arc was done incredibly well. The comedy was particularly outstanding), but I can't agree on anything being rushed. The Johzenji match was very faithfully and very well adapted and I just looked at what they did with the first two chapters of Wakutani. They come really close to adapting it panel by panel in just half an episode. Nothing feels even vaguely off (although I, too, missed one panel. When Daichi talks about needing an Iron Wall, there was supposed to be a cut to Date).

spoiler[Wakutani is 116-125. They have adapted 116 and 117, which leaves 8 chapters, which can easily be adapted in 2-3 episodes. That leaves about 6 episodes for the match against Aoba (which is 129-148, the 3 breathers which show Aoba-Date will likely take up half an episode at most). I don't know that I would call that breakneck-speed. Especially seeing how well it has been adapted until now. They shift around a little here and there and cut one or two things, but you very nearly get a panel by panel adaptation. It's damn close to perfect.]
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:52 am Reply with quote
I did mean "spike." Embarassed Shoulda gone with my first draft: "He hit the ball wicked hard and it looked like it hurt lots!" Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
You were probably thinking they got served. ;)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 17
Quote:
Tanaka (who apparently has a skull of steel)

They didn't knock heads, Daichi hit Tanaka's upper arm, which, muscle aside, is a pretty bony place to smash face first into.

I was so focused on that little Ennoshita montage, it wasn't until the end that I noticed all the players watching it too. Laughing Also funny when Ennoshita steps aside to let Asahi deliver the inspirational message. With all that radiant backlight and his hairband (complete with teeny tiny product placement!), Asahi reminded me of Jesus from Saint Young Men. Very Happy
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, players keep popping out of the woodwork and worming their way into my heart. I was really pleased to see how Ennoshita handled Yamaguchi's second serve (and that made me realize that I don't think Tsukki ever jump-serves. Maybe he's afraid he'll hit the ceiling?). Yamaguchi's body language said it all--he was already beating himself up way more than anyone else could.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Asahi reminded me of Jesus from Saint Young Men. Very Happy

I know, right?! Very Happy Add Tanaka's Buddha pose and they make a hilarious pair.

You how some characters have zero presence? When I was watching a live event with the Haikyuu seiyuus, they were playing a game of what characters would be appropriate for the following phrase. Every time someone mentioned Ennoshita I kept thinking "Who the hell is Ennoshita? Is he a new character?" Anime hyper What's worse is that I do remember those flashbacks but, I never knew the guy's name!

That's what I love about this series, even third tier minor characters like Yamaguchi can become enduring without ever feeling over-dramatic or manipulative. The scene with Ennoshita just sitting in the A/C felt so believable that I ended up caring about the guy! And poor Papa Daichi, loosing a tooth. ;__;
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
(and that made me realize that I don't think Tsukki ever jump-serves. Maybe he's afraid he'll hit the ceiling?).

Actually, other than Kageyama, Asahi and Yamaguchi, no one jump serves in Karasuno because it's a risky technique. If you remember, Asahi was training himself to do it in the first cour of this season. But because Yamaguchi is a pinch server, he has to do a jump serve, because the serve itself is his only weapon (like someone said in this episode). If he doesn't do the jump-float serve, he's basically just passing the ball to the other team.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:05 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Actually, other than Kageyama, Asahi and Yamaguchi, no one jump serves in Karasuno because it's a risky technique.

Totally missed that. I think that by just seeing every other team member (on the opposing team) doing jump serves, I just assumed it was the norm. But yeah, I played volleyball myself for a few years, and I never got the hang of jump serves. XP Diving and receiving was more my thing.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Very good episode, and it's nice to see some of the secondary players get the spotlight.

Just a few typos I'd like to point out in the review though:

Quote:
we can see Hinata shift ever-so-slightly to block the ball, giving his movement and almost gliding effect.

Should be "an."

Quote:
This is really a parallel episode to the end of the first season, when Karasuma lost

Quote:
It's a strong reminder that even though we're rooting for Karasuma

Getting mixed up with Ansatsu Kyoushitsu? Anime hyper Should be "Karasuno."
SnowyLightning44

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Yeah although it's true that this match probably could of been summarized in 10 minutes instead of basically a full episode I think it's nice that we get to see a good look at a new member Date Tech's and part of their great wall Koganekawa and that we at least get to see Date Tech in action.

And it's nice that this episode still had a bit of humour in it, especially the part where Kogane sets the ball too high so even Aone can't reach, then it falls to the coach and everyone freezes except for the (person I'm assuming is) assistant coach who gives him a thumbs up and is like 'Nice Catch! Anime smile + sweatdrop

Also I really don't know how the expect me to remember all those names since I think I'm struggling remember the names of a few of the sub-cast as it is Anime dazed

Anyway I have high hopes for the next match and I'm excited to see what type of plays will be made, whether Oikawa and Aoba Johsai will come out on top once again and what Kotaro Kyotani (the new guy with blonde hair and two small black stripes going through it) will bring to the Aoba Johsai team.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
this just feels like a match that could have been summed up in the first couple of minutes of the actual Karasuno vs Aoba Johsai episode

I absolutely, completely disagree. These are characters that many people love and that don't get showcased a lot. I actually wanted them to dedicate more time to this particular match since it's a unique opportunity to see other faces of both teams. Yes, the names are hard to keep track of, but the characters themselves are strong enough to hold their ground. It doesn't always have to be about Karasuno, one of this manga's strengths is after all in its diverse and memorable cast
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the ear-worm that is the Date Tech chant is back

Isn't it just? Smile So simple, but I can't help chanting along with them.

I didn't mind the "downtime" of this episode because along with the faint possibility that they might have Date win, we got a lot of great reaction faces this episode. Exciting is exciting, but fun is fun too. Smile

I'm always bad with names too. A cast with more than 4 mains usually means they get known by hair style/color and traits (or nicknames like Cockatoo Crest), unless it's something like Mirage of Blaze where they're always talking about dozens of characters who aren't on screen, so you have to know the names to follow it. And yes, I did make charts for that. For Boogiepop Phantom I also had to add character notes because aside from the non-linear storyline, too many of them looked too much alike and wore the same uniforms, so just name and hair still wasn't enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6