• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ajin (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:50 pm Reply with quote

Nagai Kei's almost worthless as a combat unit bar his immortality, his brains are more suited to planning and execution instead of taking orders from the front line. He knows this, but also appreciates that a modicum of physical fitness is probably going to help him in the long run. Nakano on the other hand is more simple but much tougher and better for dying (repeatedly) whilst fulfilling what role he's been assigned.

The conversation between the good doctor and Nagai Kei is also interesting, especially when all three Ajin are present in the same room and able to pool their knowledge. I found the account about the Ajin who gained some kind of sentience after being released for too long an interesting one, especially after what happens to Nagai at the end of the episode.

I don't know if Satou got his assassination scheme from his favourite A-team series, but the successful execution reminds me more of the Mission Impossible series (and the old Total Recall film featuring Schwarzenegger). Viewers also get to see how tough Nagai and his alliance of convenience face when even the crippled Ajin is capable of summoning a shadow.

Looks like Nagai's old pal Kai is going to make a reappearance. I wonder if Nagai Kei can still adopt his machine-like persona if he learns his only friend is neck-deep in trouble (guessing based on next week's trailer).
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:33 am Reply with quote
Satou continuously impresses me each time he shows up in this show. Honestly, I'm not entirely surprised that he would actually take down an aircraft with him while killing his targets onboard. The guy has shown ruthlessness and isn't afraid of taking any risks to get what he wants.

The part with Kei's IMB getting out of control could be an major ongoing issue.

I'm looking forward to Kai's return soon, should be interesting. Also I'm starting to get used to the new OP song although I still find it underwhelming compared to season 1's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Pace slows down from the last two episodes, just the one assassination and not much to animate for that one once Satou figured out it was easier to get a shadow in to do the dirty work once the location was locked down.

The professor's assertion that the shadows were a reflection of the owner's personality is an interesting one, since Nagai's personality defect is negatively impacting his level of control over them. The senior guard who serves the Prime Minister probably realises that Nagai needs to work on his cooperation skills or the whole enterprise is doomed to fail.

Another of the professor's assertions has interesting implications, since Nakano needs to kill himself enough times over to gain the power to generate shadows. It's not guaranteed though but if he doesn't realise the shadow ability he's not as useful as Nagai or Shimomura in the field.

Viewers haven't seen Kei since Nagai left him halfway through the first season, it looks like there'll be a mini-arc showing what he's been up to in the juvenile correction facility. Trailer indicates bullying by other inmates and he needs to either survive or die in custody.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote

To be honest, I would classify this episode as an intermission leading up to upcoming events. Apart from the revelation that Kai's new cellmate is one of Japan's undeclared Ajin capable of manifesting a winged IBM, the whole episode seems all about progress made by Satou's kill squad and the improvements Nagai and Nagano have made as part of their government training.

Kai's new cellmate Kotobuki is very similar to Nagai in his disdain for humans and desire for solitude. Unlike Nagai he does appreciate the effort Kai put into when trying to defend him (even if the effort would be all for nought) and decided to return the favour when Kai decides to call it in. There's probably the element of self-interest since Kai dying in the cell would have made things more troublesome for an Ajin who would much prefer to keep a low-profile.

The Pentagon's representatives have appeared at precisely the wrong moment as far as Tosaki is concerned, based on next week's trailer it looks like they're getting too close for comfort with regards to what really happened to the professor presumed deceased. Combined with what appears to be a counter-operation against Satou and his "secret weapon", plenty of action expected for next week.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
I was happy to see the return of Kaito, one of the few characters in this show who isn't a jerk or irritating in some way. We now also know where the winged Ajin from the spoilerish ED comes from. It's an interesting detail. Are the Ajin evolving or is it just a one off? An Ajin that can fly is particularly challenging.

I approve of the Americans sending an investigator who is blonde and busty, although her mode of dress, while appropriate for her position, is a tad too conservative for my taste. Perhaps she should consult with "Miss X" from Tiger Mask W, another statuesque blonde American.

And it tooks like we will be seeing another long neglected character next week: Kei's "loving" imouto. There's one pair we never have to worry going the OreImo route.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
The winged IBM actually turned up in the first season, it was shown briefly during the Ajin assembly in front of the welfare department when Tanaka's IBM told those interested in rebellion where the true meeting place was.

What this week reveals to us is the master of the winged IBM (who happened to be there in person). He's probably lucky he has an IBM that can fly (it's unique in Japan at least) but other than that not much difference between his IBM and the earthbound others.

Last edited by Harleyquin on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Ah, your memory is far better than mine. I don't recall seeing the winged Ajin in the first season, but it makes sense since we know the guy who controls it was at the meeting that you cited. I may as well ask you, Harleyquin, since (I think) you understand Japanese, but what does Ajin mean, if anything? Gaijin refers to non-Japanese people and is made up of two kanji: gai = outside and jin = person (thanks, Wikepedia!) So Ajin seems like it means ___ person, but I don't know what the A might stand for.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, your memory is far better than mine. I don't recall seeing the winged Ajin in the first season, but it makes sense since we know the guy who controls it was at the meeting that you cited. I may as well ask you, Harleyquin, since (I think) you understand Japanese, but what does Ajin mean, if anything? Gaijin refers to non-Japanese people and is made up of two kanji: gai = outside and jin = person (thanks, Wikepedia!) So Ajin seems like it means ___ person, but I don't know what the A might stand for.

It's not just the title of a manga. The term comes up a lot in other fantasy and science-fiction works since the closest English term is "Demi-human". In fact the official title for the adaptation is indeed "Ajin: Demi-human".

Wikipedia or google the term for "Demi-god" and the "demi" part should be easily understood.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
Great, thanks, Harleyquin. Interesting to know this wasn't a created word for the franchise but something that is used in other works.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Time is running out for Nagai and co. against Satou's relentless assassination project. The American representative's untimely intervention certainly does them no favours now that the Defence rep is convinced Tosaki is bluffing regarding Ogura's death.

Although the development at the end was unexpected, it isn't very surprising in hindsight. Americans would have a similar arrangement that Tosaki happened to have with Shimomura. Even the reactions and dialogue mirror what Tosaki has with his own subordinate, although the depths of loyalty between the two counterparts probably differs.

Going by next week's trailer and the episode title they've given it, it looks like Shimomura's back-story is finally going to get an airing. Now to see what convinced her to work under Tosaki and to put up with all the mistreatment he dishes out on an everyday basis.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:54 pm Reply with quote
So I guess the rule is that any female Ajin must be a shapely hottie? It's a good rule. I welcome next week's focus on Shimomura, she of the short hair, flashing eyes and nice boobies.

The male American is an even bigger dick than Tosaki and that's saying something. Kind of cute how Shimomura calls her Ajin Kuro-chan. I guess that would translate roughly to Blacky?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:28 am Reply with quote
I kept thinking she was being way too timid and subservient for an American woman in the military, and I was wondering why she was bowing to him. Now I see why she's afraid of him, but still not why she bows. Was she raised in Japan or something?

It's funny how Kei is slowly learning to tolerate Nakano's idiocy. He just kinda rolls his eyes, sighs, and lets it slide now. I am kind of surprised he wasn't eager to "help" him die a few dozen times to try to bring out his mummy. Just goes to show he really is non-violent at heart.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:38 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I kept thinking she was being way too timid and subservient for an American woman in the military, and I was wondering why she was bowing to him. Now I see why she's afraid of him, but still not why she bows. Was she raised in Japan or something?

It's funny how Kei is slowly learning to tolerate Nakano's idiocy. He just kinda rolls his eyes, sighs, and lets it slide now. I am kind of surprised he wasn't eager to "help" him die a few dozen times to try to bring out his mummy. Just goes to show he really is non-violent at heart.

Maybe she was, or cultural stereotypes have crossed geographical boundaries.

Nagai being Nagai only cares about efficiency and getting the job done at all costs. As far as he's concerned, his hapless Ajin compatriot can waste time swimming in his own incompetence provided it doesn't affect Nagai's own preparation and the latter gets a result within a set deadline on his own or with the help of others who are willing to help him.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:36 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Fear or not, I suspect her depiction stems from the Japanese writers inability to render a realistic American female character. I also want to see more reason why the American Ajin and Shimomura are so afraid of/subservient to their respective male partners. I know that if I was in contact with an entity that was immortal and incredibly strong, my attitude would be considerably less dickish than either of those two. "Would you care for some cream with your coffee, ma'am?"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:14 am Reply with quote
I had the impression that they had witnessed (or perhaps even been subjected to - especially in the American's case) the experiments on Ajin, and are terrified of being tossed on the the torture heap. If they're good girls, and useful, they're not hunted, or tortured (except the American, when she's not useful enough) and live pretty decent lives. I suspect they didn't come in and sign up for the job, but once in, I'd think it would be difficult to extract oneself, given the nature of the work. So they've chosen the best deal in a world that doesn't deal fairly to Ajin.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9