• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's The Best (And Worst) Anime Ending You've Ever Seen?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Once again I must thank you all for this article. It is the very sort of sobering read that makes me question whether it is rational to watch anime, or for that matter any serialised artform, in the distanced, lackadaisical way of which we are sometimes guilty.

To be frank, I have never particularly cared to watch Cowboy Bebop due to my inveterate preferences, though Jacob's stirring account of how poetically balanced and interconnected the work is —despite being supposedly episodic—perhaps gives cause for a reassessment of my stance.

As for The End of Evangelion, which remains the most disturbing piece of cinema I have seen, I feel slightly frustrated that I failed to ascribe sufficient importance to the choking scene rather than the visceral nightmare that follows it. It is as if the widespread, indiscriminate horror too easily distracts from something of far lesser scale but far greater thematic importance; something delicate whose mark has to endure longer than the stains of any fluid, red or orange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:44 pm Reply with quote
All these Evangelion endings choices. Are you referring to the TV series or the EoE?

What should I pick

(checks avi) Ah right Shocked Baccano!!, Kekkai Sensen, Hunter x Hunter 2011 and Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood were my favorite endings.

Worst ending.... Oh yeah Demon Lord Dante, I won't talk about it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Theron's choice of Oreimo as worst is also mine. Never have I been so angry at a show in my life. The ending, by itself, makes me almost hate the show in it's entirety. What a chicken shit way to go out. For real.
trilaan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman has made me happy. And, frankly, caused me to tear up a bit because, dang it, I LOVE that El Hazard ending!

But, my personal favorite has to be the end of The Irresponsible Captain Tylor. That one just makes me stand up and cheer. Every. Single. Time.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I'm not sure I can narrow it down to a best ending as there have been many with greatly satisfying conclusions where we get to see where everyone ended up after everything was said and done. Kurokami, M3, and Asura Cryin' are lesser known examples.

Now for worst, it should come as no surprise to some people as I've gone on at length about it before: Toradora. Several shows have had similar endings where the main characters are forced into a relationship at the end despite developments to the contrary (Oreimo has the same problem) but Toradora was the first that really pissed me off and ruined the whole show for me.

spoiler[Ryuji and Taiga formed a strong friendship over the course of the series as they helped each other but of course they can't be allowed to just be friends. It's okay in Taiga's case because we see her feelings change gradually over the show, but Ryuji just kept forming a better relationship with Minori. We see no signs of him falling out of love, and he'd been going on about how much he liked her in the episode right before he suddenly decides he likes Taiga instead. No hesitation, no linger feelings for Minori, he's just over her in an instant cold turkey and now wants to marry Taiga.]

For a show that did so well at building relationships to chuck that out the window in order to force a certain outcome is unforgivable.

I would have to disagree about Ryuji forming a closer relationship with Minori throughout the show. To me the peak of their relationship was the holiday they had together. That was one of the first times you actually see Ryuji and Minori actually talk to each other. Apart from that it was all him admiring her from a distance. Ami had it spot on in that Ryuji saw her in a somewhat unrealistic light.

Meanwhile Ryuji and Taiga kept interacting with each other and getting close to each other. You can see Ryuji becoming increasingly conflicted about their relationship especially when external people start trying to spoiler[push Taiga and Kitamura together in the aftermath of Taiga being suspended from school and people finally realizing she was in love with Kitamura and her and Ryuji were not a couple.] Ami of course does a great job of stirring the pot. The best line of the show has to be when spoiler[Ami interrupts Minori mid crazy spiel saying that talking to her is like having her period!!]

Also there is no rule where you cannot have feelings for more than one person at a time. There's no doubt that spoiler[Ryuji was still in love with Minori, her just loved Taiga more!]

Last edited by ScruffyKiwi on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:04 pm; edited 5 times in total
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
Michiko and Hatchin - While this series is kind of above par, I still didn't like it very much, and the ending was pretty obvious from some of the episodes coming before it. It sums up to "men are all stupid, we were meant to live with each other all along!" Spare me.

Pretty sure the moral of the story there was "absolutely do not trust anyone named Hiroshi Morenos".

NONE of the men in the series were really portrayed in a positive light to my recollection, Hiroshi just epitomized this. The whole thing was just some long journey that played its cards a bit too early and the futility just got more and more apparent. Not only does Hiroshi end up leaving Michiko again, but the ending also shows spoiler[Hana has a child, but her lover leaves her too, and she and Michiko reunite and just travel again]. Most of the series hints at Hiroshi being pathetic, and I can see the series is trying to eloquently show that the truth was right there all along when Hiroshi left Michiko the first time and it only set in with her much later (to a degree, but moreso when Hiroshi attempts to evade them for a few episodes prior to the ending), but to me it really didn't offer much beyond that and you want to see some hope in their journey that it won't be as predictable as you think, but it is, and for some perhaps that's the point, but I just found it annoying. I also found almost all of the episodes incredibly drab with uninteresting storytelling, it tries to have Champloo's style and sense of cool, but loses it really quickly and just becomes bark without bite and again, the episodic tales aren't remotely as interesting.

Last edited by Angel'sArcanum on Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to agree with Madoka Magica and Kino's Journey being one of the best, and Soul Eater and Digimon Adventure 02 being one of the worst.

WingKing wrote:

Disappointing ending for me? Trigun. Not because it was "bad" per se, but because it just left me scratching my head. spoiler[Like, okay, you've beaten your genocidal brother in a fight and knocked him out. Fine, but what's going to happen when he wakes up? You only won one fight, it's not like you've actually changed his mind or rendered him completely harmless or anything. And now you're going to take him back to your friends and everyone's supposed to be buddy buddy or something?] How is that even going to work?

Pretty sure spoiler[Vash crippled Knives]. Still, the manga ending is so much better in my opinion.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Really great piece! Lot of interesting choices.

Either Cowboy Bebop which is just perfection with it's ending or Texnolyze which had one of the ballsiest endings to anything,but it was perfect fit for it's themes.

Worst ending is a tough one since most shows have non-endings due to ongoing source material so am pretty lenient on those,but original shows have no excuse. So I'll go with Ergo Proxy. Show was a mess of ideas and themes,which by the time they had to start raping it up,the show starts jumping ahead and just you everything that happened.All this leading up to a mess of an ending,which made it clear that they had no idea what they wanted to do at all with it.

Texhnolyze is awesome. It's too bad that most people don't like it because of it's pace. Perfect ending, in my opinion. Smile
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
DigitalScratch wrote:
Yes, I consider spoiler[Duck returning to her original form, a duck,] as a happy ending.

Not to rain on your parade or anything, but when I went to an Ushicon where Itoh was a special guest, someone asked her (in a Princess Tutu panel) about that particular aspect of the ending. She replied (via translator), that she wanted Duck to spoiler[become a girl again], but couldn't figure out how to swing it, and that it's something that she thinks will just happen down the line. My money's banking on Fakir's influence. Anime hyper

EDIT: Now that I think about it, that's also where she said (in Japanese only; translator was forbidden from translating it aloud) whatever she had planned for Mytho to say at the very end, but it had been cut due to time constraints.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Best Ending: It's a toss-up between Wolf's Rain, Blood Blockade Battlefront , FMA 2003, and Ping Pong the Animation
All of these endings fully fleshed out the themes and characters and actually made me feel something, which is everything I can reasonably ask for in an ending.

Worst Ending: Darker than Black Season 2
This is the shining example of a show that was clearly planned for a 2 cour run that only received one. Plot twists were revealed all at once in the last few episodes, and the ending true to pull an Evangelion, but at that point I just didn't care enough to try to decipher what the writers were trying to say.[/b]

Last edited by Blankslate on Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I have never seen a show throw up a middle finger to the audience anywhere nears as much as wizard barristers.

I know the oreimo season 2 and second half of SAO 1 ending is horrible on almost every level but I have very easily retconned them by ending the show at the previous season, so they aren't as bad to me as wizard barristers

My second place goes to umineko no naku koro ni
The entire 4 are adaptation in particular was HORRENDOUS but at the very least until the final episode they WEREN'T REFERRING TO EXTREMELY IMPORTANT CGI THAT THEY RAN OUT OF MONEY TO DO!
endallchaos

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:21 pm Reply with quote
-Favorite endings-

Texhnolyze (Most shows or movies don't dare to have an ending like this one)

5 Centimeters Per Second ( Loved the ending of this one, it felt a bit more realistic than most, in my opinion)

Your Lie In April ( SPOILERS: Most people who have had someone close to them pass away by a terminal illness will have a hard time watching the ending of this show, or at least it hit me like a train. No other ending has made me feel this sad, which is the reason why It's one of my favorite.)

-Worst endings-

Akame Ga Kill (the show was pretty bad overall, though)

Michiko & Hatchin (I just really didn't like it)

Deadman Wonderland ( It ended when things started getting really interesting)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
Also there is no rule where you cannot have feelings for more than one person at a time. There's no doubt that spoiler[Ryuji was still in love with Minori, her just loved Taiga more!]

Sure, but I never got the sense he liked both of them at once. Even when Minori spoiler[reveals she likes him too] he doesn't react to that at all. If he had lingering feelings for her he'd have shown more hesitation like he was making a choice at that moment. Even when Taiga spoiler[accidentally confessed to him] his reaction was to freak out, not to be happy.

Now for a show that does this kind of thing right and ends well is Akaneiro ni Somaru Saka. spoiler[Junichi and Minato are shown to be a bit too close, sibling-wise, consistently through the show. So when he starts dating Yuuhi he eventually has an inner conflict with himself. We see him actually working out his feelings until he forces himself to admit he's been in love with his sister this whole time and his feelings for Yuuhi were mostly just a cover.]

If Toradora or Oreimo had similar scenes I wouldn't be complaining.

On an unrelated note, I think it's unfair to have adaptations of unfinished works on these lists. It's not the anime's fault the manga/novel is still ongoing. Unless they go anime original it was never going to be a complete story in the first place.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
One of my favorite endings was Samurai Champloo's.

It felt like the natural conclusion for the core characters. The main characters were sticking together to accomplish a specified goal, and once that was done, they went their separate ways. They were certainly on friendlier terms than the start, but it would be hard to believe that they would stick it out with each other when their personalities were so different.

Jacob brings up a good point about Master of Martial Hearts since that one was definitely bad enough to have me saying, "WTF." I suppose the reason I wouldn't pick that as the worst ending would be that I found the whole thing so bad that there was no reason to even expect a decent ending.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Don't have many endings I can say I really liked......but endings I thought were worse (or simply not good)

- Akagi: spoiler[I assume the ending is because of the manga not having concluded Akagi's and Iwao's game but that cliffhanger is just...just not right and not helped by a mini timeskip that comes out of nowhere.]

- Kaiji:spoiler[..........Never have I seen an ending to a story (or half of it)that simultaneously makes you hate the antagonist for cheating (and pulling some ass) while at the same time making you hate the protagonist for being stupid by needlessly pushing his luck.]

- Wolf's Rain: Why so depressing?

- Lupin III Part 3 - How is it that in spite of it being canceled the Green Jacket series had a relatively harmless final episode, whereas the Pink Jacket had one you can clearly tell was not meant to be the final episode.

Cowboy Bebop: could've been way better than it was especially since the seires never really went into too much detail about Spike's past but has the final two episodes focusing on parts of it.

- Evangelion: I wanna post my reasons for being critical of this show's ending but I think I've run of the money and time to do so Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 14