• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga vs. Anime: Fullmetal Alchemist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Okay, one more thing:

@jppcouto, your example is not only from about 30 years later than the period FMA ostensibly covers (which is more WWI, not WWII), but it's also about the Soviet Union -- which is kind of a special case when it comes to the roles women were allowed to take in society. Their communist ideology meant they actively encouraged women to take on traditional "men's work" like fighting in the armed forces. This was not the case in England or especially Germany. Women worked in factories during the war specifically because all the men were off fighting in the war, something women generally couldn't do.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:12 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Okay, one more thing:

@jppcouto, your example is not only from about 30 years later than the period FMA ostensibly covers (which is more WWI, not WWII), but it's also about the Soviet Union -- which is kind of a special case when it comes to the roles women were allowed to take in society. Their communist ideology meant they actively encouraged women to take on traditional "men's work" like fighting in the armed forces. This was not the case in England or especially Germany. Women worked in factories during the war specifically because all the men were off fighting in the war, something women generally couldn't do.

I see.
Rose I don't want to bother you but once it was you that wrote this article... Could you say what do you think about this scene?

Doesn't this scene or others from FMA manga show how well explored is the military in comparative with FMA 2003. It was confirmed by Arakawa that amestrian soldiers can't marry, so to her Roy and Riza couldn't be together. Plus in that scene we can see how Bradley is playing with her feelings. Don't you think this interesting moment is something that FMA 2003 couldn't do?
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
"Which one is actually better"? There is no debate. Whatever came first (in this case the manga) is ALWAYS the better one. Anime adaptions need to get their you-know-what together and adapt things faithfully. If you can't do it right, don't do it at all. If these animation studios want to create original content so badly, stop destroying adaptions for existing works and make an original anime from scratch.

This isn't always true though DragonBall Z and YuYuHakusho for example are the exceptions to this "alleged" rule where their anime adaptations are more or equally regarded than their source material.

MadHi wrote:

Brotherhood on the other hand, I used to enjoy it, but I've grown to hate it now because of its fans and how quick they are to condemn and ostracize anyone who says they even remotely like the 2003 series. There are other gripes I had long before Brotherhood fans further ruined it but I could have overlooked them but now they're additional hairs on the cake. If you like Brotherhood more, that's fine, provided you're not like the people I described (and that goes for the other side as well).

I wound up disliking the 2003 anime once I found out how much it deviated from the source material and how needlessly bleak and spiteful it became in it's 2nd half, and yet no one going on record with how much they like the 2003 anime makes me dislike it even more than I still do.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Okay, one more thing:

Insert xkcd embed here.

jppcouto wrote:
Doesn't this scene or others from FMA manga show... Don't you think this interesting moment is...

In my experience, this sentence construct means, "I have an opinion, and I request that you agree with it", and it's rarely useful in these conversations.
jppcouto

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Okay, one more thing:

Insert xkcd embed here.

jppcouto wrote:
Doesn't this scene or others from FMA manga show... Don't you think this interesting moment is...

In my experience, this sentence construct means, "I have an opinion, and I request that you agree with it", and it's rarely useful in these conversations.

fine, i probably sound a little rude to Rose, but I really wanted to know what she thinks about that moment... Do you think she gonna answer me? :v
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:
(Another note, I wish I could find somewhere to obtain the complete soundtrack of the original anime. Are import cds the only way to go? I need Ready Steady Go back in my life.)

Unfortunately it's either an import CD or a youtube download.
Pidgeot18

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 pm Reply with quote
My biggest problem with the 2003 anime is that, when you look at it closely, the story just sort of falls apart. Hughes' death was clearly supposed to be the sign of the massive, deep conspiracy that reached the upper ranks of government, but there was no such conspiracy in the 2003 anime. Dante also comes across as an ineffectual villain--she's defeated as much by her own incompetence as any actual effort on the part of the good guys.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
jppcouto wrote:
fine, i probably sound a little rude to Rose, but I really wanted to know what she thinks about that moment... Do you think she gonna answer me? :v

How should I know?

For that matter, why should I speculate? She'll come back into this thread if she wants to.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 pm Reply with quote
The manga is better. The 'original' series is too dark and depressing (and just plain weird) for my tastes.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Wingbeats wrote:

(Another note, I wish I could find somewhere to obtain the complete soundtrack of the original anime. Are import cds the only way to go? I need Ready Steady Go back in my life.)

Ready Steady Go is on i-tunes under the Album Smile.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
My vote goes to Brotherhood even though I watched the 2003 version years ago. All the characters had a bigger role (with the exception of Lust) like spoiler[Greed who possess my favorite Lin Yao and the reaction he has when he realizes he is the same homunculus after killing his last friend.] War, religion and discrimination were also explored in Brotherhood and the manga. The manga had an entire volume about that. Then there's Edward and Alphonse's dad Hohenheim. He plays a huge role in the Brotherhood/manga. Something similar happens with Winry spoiler[when confronting her parents' murderer.]

The 2003 series had some good episodes but some of them were based on the light novels. Then spoiler[Hohenheim's dad appears for five minutes, Edward dies twice in a single episode (the second death happens just because he can't punch Envy's real face), and tries to perform Human Transmutation again! He success! He revives his brother and he doesn't pay a price or anything like that. I also liked bits of the movie but it goes insane when Envy is kidnapped by Nazis.]
Videogamep

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I would say switching between versions is one of the worst things you can do for the exact reasons stated. It's better to start with FMA 2003 and then watch FMAB after you finish it. FMA covers the shared content much better (~30 episodes vs 13 in FMAB) but FMAB has enough differences that it wouldn't make much sense if you skip the first 13 episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Pidgeot18 wrote:
My biggest problem with the 2003 anime is that, when you look at it closely, the story just sort of falls apart. Hughes' death was clearly supposed to be the sign of the massive, deep conspiracy that reached the upper ranks of government, but there was no such conspiracy in the 2003 anime. Dante also comes across as an ineffectual villain--she's defeated as much by her own incompetence as any actual effort on the part of the good guys.

Actually, Hughes' death was perfectly affective, in my opinion. Sure, the subject of his revelation is totally different, but it's purpose is different and it works immediately, as opposed to not finding out what he knew until way way later in the story. In 2003, he finds that the soldier who caused the Ishbal Massacre was not punished, but instead rose through the ranks, eventually becoming the Fuhrer's Secretary. I actually think that this is more effective! It makes Sloth into an incredibly eerie character, especially considering her already uncomfortable parallels to Trisha at that point. I think it's much creepier knowing what he knows and not seeing his message get out to any of the other characters, as opposed to not finding out about the nation-wide transmutation circle until everyone else does. It feels like his death means more, because we know exactly what he was trying to warn everyone of. (Also, there's still kind of a conspiracy, even if it's not as big. I mean, the implication is that Dante is just going to use Capital like she used the city underground to make a Philosopher's Stone, and the fact that the Fuhrer and his secretary were both Hommunculi.)

I think Dante's unimportance in the long run is the best part about her character, actually! She's a heinous, reprehensible person, who wants to make herself important. She worms her way into other people's bodies, manipulates the Hommunculi through false promises, and attempts to break up the brothers, only to be refuted not only by Alphonse, but by the narrative itself that she doesn't matter, and never did- The love between the two brothers is the paramount core of this story, and she can't do anything about it. Alphonse discards her because she isn't what's important at that moment- Edward is.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
I like all of them. Manga, original and true versions. Original has more of a challenge because it tread on a darker theme. It's way more intriguing because it was already like a seinen type of anime, too much killings and suspense. Brotherhood solved all the complaints by putting a straightforward shounen-warfare adaptation suited for young fans. It is indeed lighter and avoided too much dramas. Manga is fun to read. I remember reading it all at once in a single night. Laughing
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 4:40 am Reply with quote
I like Brotherhood and the 2003 adaptation about equally, but for very different reasons. I like both epic, sweeping fantasy stories with a grand narrative, but also darker, more grounded stories of human struggle and pathos.

As I see it, FMA:B has the following going for it:
-A larger, more epic scale and better world-building (especially the introduction of Xing and all that came with it)
-A more tightly written narrative
-Better animation all around
-A better final villain in Father
-I prefer the versions of Pride, Wrath and Hohenheim; Greeling is awesome
-The Briggs soldiers and all that came with it
-More action and a faster pace that sweeps you up into the story
-A more emotionally satisfying, conclusive ending

The original series has the following going for it:
-All the shared material (up to ~ ep.12 in Brotherhood) is covered way better here
-Due to that better handling, the events that come after are more impactful and emotionally resonant
-The Elric brothers and their relationship are more fleshed out
-Better lighting, color design, backgrounds, direction and music
-More morally gray
-More grounded character development
-The origin of the Homunculi is more interesting
-Lust, and to a lesser extent Sloth, are done better here

They both have a lot going for them, and I love both of them. They are definitely very different shows, for different audiences. I tend to appreciate thematic completeness and quality more than narrative quality, so I might lean a bit towards FMA 2003, but I love them both. Honestly, I think that somewhere between FMA and FMA:B is the greatest anime of all time, but unfortunately that anime doesn't exist. So, I make do with these two (both of which I own on Blu-ray).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5