• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Libre Ends Publishing Agreement With Digital Manga, Inc.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Asami Ryuichi wrote:
And of all things, unlike The others I'm no The decoration of Asami Ryuichi. if he would really exists then I'm Sure he'd get many haters, because most people think he only looks good in books because if he comes to actions then know exactly what's gonna happen. Isn't it? My good lady? -softly grins-

Why do you start a new comment after already posting one???
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yes that is my mistake I didn't mean "Scans" but copies in different languages so we can buy online. Yes English is not my Native language nor that I have shops in my hometown to buy such books. But we order online (Couldn't pay attention to my posts while I'm working hard and said what I'm hearing mostly 80% thus I accept my fault I'll apologize to her personally about this) But I NEVER meant SCANS...

Back again to my twitter post where I said the "rumors will spread like a wild fire" then yes it is what happening but if I tell her what's going on then does not mean that im telling her to "hurry up" I know what kind of hard job is that. What you see it's your own assumption so don't pull any accusations on me through your assumptions because I said her myself that "we'll wait patiently and support her with every possibility" thus reread my reply again and this time carefully. there is difference between "Informing" and "demanding" I would never make demands sorry to say and can never think about bothering such an honorable person whom I respect most.

I think we shouldn't go more further and keep The topic to main article. The more you try to prove me wrong the more this conversation stretching to no where. Lets keep it on main topic.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:34 am Reply with quote
@Animechic420 @Sunflower both if you don't want me to pull another 100 comments then better not jump in The middle. kindly it's my humble request.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:02 am Reply with quote
^So, you're commenting but don't want responses? Okay, ignore button on.

But honestly, when I read your tweets to sensei last night I too thought they were rude. If you didn't mean to be and we were misunderstanding, perhaps consider your phrasing in the future. Any of us would be happy to assist.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:45 am Reply with quote
Hey Mew, long time.

Okay, Border by Kodaka isn't a Libre title. I have often wished it was because maybe then SuBLime would pick it up.

Freaking out on a message board or Twitter isn't doing anyone any good. Just be patient and wait, it IS all that you can do. Bugging the mangaka certainly isn't cool.

Sit back, chill and reread stuff you already have!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:02 pm Reply with quote
@Toshirodragon Do not take me for a stupid child. If you wish to speak then be mature enough to response than being childish. If I'm in this forum among all of you means I am someone who should be here. Im not being rude and not disrespecting anyone here. If you treat me as some foolish child you'll receive the same thing from me. Hope I made myself clear. I do not like the tone you just spoke in to be honest.
archyteckie08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Asami Ryuichi wrote:
Do Not take my statement offensive. And as you said do not speak on twitter or whatever. Thus truth won't change for what's going on. I respect her a lot and she has a right to know about what's going around where you and she can't see. As you have no idea where did I come from nor I'm willing to speak of it. but either way silence won't make things right. Giving false hope doesn't change the fact. We all Concerned about how stressed she is about this matter and same other people are specially those who live overseas hardcore supporters. Speaking of such doesn't offend me at all from your side because I will do whatever possible to put pressure on publishers. Just so they will speak sooner or later but must. Of course I won't waste my power I have. I do not mean to pressure on my lady Yamane Ayano. whatever the lead I'll get to support her and make her worry less than from such situations, I'll give my best. Thanks for encouraging me by The way. -smirks-

On Yamane Ayano's Twitter, she said that "Readers are being too one sided about the English copyright issue and that I would like a more balance discussion". Doesn't sound like someone stressed about not having their work in English published. But really why should she? Japanese manga artists receive incredibly small or no pay for their overseas sales anyway. Japan is their money maker.

Yamane has a deal with Animate (the largest anime/manga retailer in Japan). Her latest volumes are mostly sold there and her merchandise is exclusively sold there. Animate does deals with BL artist because it helps them sell merchandise. No doubt that most of her money comes from this deal. Animate is the parent company to Libre. So getting her English work published overseas has less to do with her but with Animate's (who tries in vain to make waves in the US anime/manga retail market) own plans for international expansion. Yamane's work did not help animate sell any major amount of merchandise to Western fans. Not only her stuff but other English works licensed by Libre (or any other Animate licenses) because Animate decided to close their American online store earlier this year and their physical LA store in 2003; http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2016/02/03/usa-animate-shop-to-shut-down. More and more Japanese companies are turning away from the US market towards the Chinese market. Animate opened a Taobao (like eBay but way larger) store and a physical store in Shanghai.

Americans do not read comics on the same scale that Japan does. In fact the American comic industry makes most of its money through licenses (from movies to merchandise) than comics. American watch more tv or movies than reading books. The average 15 to 19 year old American reads on average 8 minutes for pleasure on the weekends. Compared to 50% of their leisure time spent watching tv ; http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.nr0.htm. Even people in their 20s, spend the least amount of time reading, about 10 minutes, vs time spent playing video games;http://priceonomics.com/how-young-adults-spend-their-time-2004-vs-2014/. A Mother Jones' article estimated that 2% of Millennials read comics; http://www.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2014/12/millennials-and-comic-books-chill-out-haters. Where as Japan, its the complete opposite. It's no wonder manga isn't very profitable for Japanese in America. American lifestyle trends prevent it from being so.

The truth is copyright agreements tend to end because the original license holder finds it unprofitable. So Yamane English work wasn't making her or her publisher any money. Therefore the agreement ended. It's truly that simple and I think that's what she was alluding to in her Japanese twitter response.

Finally, scanlations popularity does not help convince the Japanese that a manga would be a success in America. Neither does buying merchandise through proxy. It only helps them believe even more that the Western market is a "lost cause" and is a place only to make chump change. Regardless of how many American fans who profess to love BL or any non-action manga, they don't make too much of an effort to legally pay for it.

Buying Japanese copies don't count as much as buying the English translated ones (no matter how poorly translated you "feel" they are). Buying merchandise directly from Japan either through proxy or AmiAmi (is not an US distributor but a Japanese company that will ship to USA), than from Tokyo Otaku Mode (who is seen as an official English distributor for many Japanese merchandise brands) doesn't count either.

There is no way for Japanese book publishers to know who is Japanese and who is foreign with domestic sales. AmiAmi and other Japanese companies that do business in Japan but ship overseas, don't report their foreign sales to Japanese manufacturers like Tokyo Otaku Mode or even Amazon USA does. However if an official American distributor reports good sales in America, creates a booming market for Japanese -> English translators who specialize in Manga translation, see non-action manga popular enough to get made in to live action American shows, that means far more to them because they can see that there is a huge amount of American willing to pay for manga content.
Thread_Alchemist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope that a lot of these books will be picked up by Sublime even though I don't really like their physical releases they are some of the best digital releases in the U.S. right now. (It's a shame that their books use such crappy paper though.)

For once I'm glad I flipped through the comments since a lot of them confirmed the crap I was having to put up with just to get books from DMI. Pre-ordering seemed like a pointless endeavor since the books would get pushed back for at least a year and eventually get canceled by the seller. All the while their own site Akadot would be listing the book as in stock. When I tried to contact Akadot I always got the run around about when they would be fulfilling the pre-orders. Since 2012 I think I have only gotten 5 of the books that were actually pre-ordered. The others I had to go directly through DMI either through their digital store or through aka.

Hopefully Libre's books will get picked up elsewhere and become less scarce.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Nice info you gave us. Counted every single detail kind of very impressive I must say. But back again to The same topic that its all about money after all. As most of The people are speaking of. Artists should get paid for their work even for overseas sales but no. So who's fault is that? Readers? Publishers? Or someone else that's the question.Though I know it's normal what is happening but this Is truly not The right thing because artists also should get paid from the share. because it's their hard work. people read or don't even they just keep The book for their collection it's their matter if here all about is money. how much sales how much profit how much values and everything should make money and the artists should get paid for their work this is my point because no matter how much a per book costs overseas readers will buy and order online. Bookstores or others take all the profits come from the work by an artist. Thats ridiculous. Now I get it for sure what happened is for good. Ending the deal and all this discussion lead back to same track. Which everyone mostly speaking of. I still hope something will come up and solve this case. There is no pressure over artists because they are doing their good work in a best way. Complications always come up when there is something best involve in the field. Finder is the best thing (I'm talking about my personal favorite) it should have worth more than enough in everything. We'll wait though because we have faith.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:
... Buying merchandise directly from Japan either through proxy or AmiAmi (is not an US distributor but a Japanese company that will ship to USA), than from Tokyo Otaku Mode (who is seen as an official English distributor for many Japanese merchandise brands) doesn't count either.

Sorry, but the markup is too high for me NOT to use amiami, cdjapan, Hobby Search or other native Japanese eshops over places like TOM, j-list, Crunchy Shop etc whenever possible.

You might not care about the extra cost. But I do. No matter what your argument.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Why is it taking Finder Series so long to finish anyway??? It started 2002 and only has 8 volumes. Confused
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:13 pm Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:
On Yamane Ayano's Twitter, she said that "Readers are being too one sided about the English copyright issue and that I would like a more balance discussion". Doesn't sound like someone stressed about not having their work in English published. But really why should she? Japanese manga artists receive incredibly small or no pay for their overseas sales anyway. Japan is their money

What that quote says is that she's stressed not about money but about the fan reaction she's seeing, so if people don't want to stress her they should ease up on her. She can't do a damned thing about the situation so what's the point of bothering her?

Yamane-sensei does care about her work being published in other languages though. She's a sweetheart who wants all her fans to be happy, and that means them having access to her books in their languages. Ask anyone who's had much interaction with her and they'll tell you the same thing. Unfortunately it's pretty much out of her hands.
Asami Ryuichi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
@sunflower I agree with you on this one. The more artist is happier the more positively she can think and get the courage to do lot more for fans readers and all. we should encourage her instead of telling what's going on in a negative side of The business. Pay more attention to the brighter side instead of dark. (Wish I could give her my message personally that would make her happy in a second but people like us don't even exist) we'll wait no matter how long it takes. -sighs-
tailwhip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:

There is no way for Japanese book publishers to know who is Japanese and who is foreign with domestic sales. AmiAmi and other Japanese companies that do business in Japan but ship overseas, don't report their foreign sales to Japanese manufacturers like Tokyo Otaku Mode or even Amazon USA does. However if an official American distributor reports good sales in America, creates a booming market for Japanese -> English translators who specialize in Manga translation, see non-action manga popular enough to get made in to live action American shows, that means far more to them because they can see that there is a huge amount of American willing to pay for manga content.

This is serious statement here, put some citations like you did on other statement otherwise it just an accusation.
kinziechan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Why is it taking Finder Series so long to finish anyway??? It started 2002 and only has 8 volumes. Confused

Because this is being released bimonthly. Meaning that only 6 chapters will be released a year, granted that she doesn't take a well deserved break. Sensei also has another title going and makes appearances. She also mentioned in the afterword of Vol 7 that she has had some family emergencies that took her away from her work.

While I understand the impatience, I would say that it is best to understand everything that is going on and suck up the wait. It is well worth it.

sunflower wrote:

Hi Kinzie!
It's the owner, I'm guessing. He didn't know what BL was when he first started buying it, he only knew he got a box of titles dirt cheap and didn't care about the details. I doubt he even knew what VF was. He does now lol. I could have sworn they were supposed to keep their print runs up so people could buy the books, unlike BeBeautiful. Instead they did the same thing.

Hi Sunflower! Anime exclamation
I'm assuming its the owner as well. I've become...I don't want to say friends, but good acquaintances with the woman who runs the June Twitter account. They are an amazing person and incredibly understanding. I feel as though they understand the demand and need for the June and 801 imprint more than anyone within that company but their voice may not necessarily be heard.

As with Yamane's Twitter account, I really hope that people aren't harassing June. I sent a tweet myself but since I have at least some sort of base relationship with that person, I don't think she will take it as harassment (I really hope she doesn't, anyway). She doesn't have all of the answers. She is the social media employee, not HR and not PR. Hopefully, she isn't having too bad of a day today, dealing with the fallout of the announcement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5