• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Anime Industry Up 12% in 2015

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle I guess I'll just requote this over and over.
Blood- wrote:

But like I say I have no doubt that rigid piracy apologists would never accept any kind of evidence that doesn't support their world view.

I'm sure climate change is a hoax in your world too.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
That's pretty impressive given how much garbage they've been making. Then again, they've also been making some amazing works too.

One person garbage is another person treasure. Fortunately there are still lots of good anime coming up every season. Many fans can keep hopes up. Wink

Clearly China doesn't have the most sophisticated taste in anime at this point. Some of the most popular stuff there is literally flopping everywhere else(they seem to really love the battle-action sort of shows, like Bubuki Buranki, and Twin Exorcists[I saw a figure stating 80 million views in China for Exorcists]). I'm sure it'll mature in the coming years though, as their market ages. And yeah, there is still a lot of great stuff coming out. Proportionally, it's probably about the same as it's ever been.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:01 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Your cherry picked summary is not a peer reviewed study/paper.

Why would they do that? Follow the money:

https://techpolicyinstitute.org/supporters/

The authors of the summary made clear they are not presenting their own research nor are they presenting their own conclusions. They merely reviewed existing studies. Ergo, their summary does not need to be "peer reviewed."

Cherry picked? Laughing The post of yours that I originally responded to had the following gem:

mangamuscle wrote:
Nope, no one and I mean no one has released an study that proves that software piracy has reduced in any significant amount (not to be attributed to margin of error) any software sector (anime, music, games, etc.) profits.

As it turns out there are 22 studies that conclude content producers have seen reductions in profit. If you think those 22 studies were "cherry picked" clearly you think there are a whole bunch of studies that concluded otherwise but have not been included in this survey. Please feel free to post links to any studies that conclude that piracy has no impact. Should be no problem, right? After all, those 22 studies were "cherry picked" so there must be a TON of studies that show piracy has no impact. Laughing
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
1) This report only covers domestically produced anime (so response is none).

I was thinking about the 2013 report from the Media Development Research Institute that was cited here last year. In that report total revenues include "both Japanese animated works and foreign animated works that were sold or distributed within Japan. The results include theatrical animation, home video sales and rental for animation, television animation, and online distribution." So in that report box-office and home-video revenues from movies like Frozen were included in the total.

Now having compared to the two reports, I'm struck by the enormous difference between them. The MDRI report estimated the "market for domestic and foreign animation in Japan reached 242.8 billion yen (about US$2.03 billion) over the course of the year 2013." That's only about eleven percent of the $18 billion figure cited in this report. If the market for animation in Japan is about $2 billion, does that mean the additional $16 billion in the AJA report represents foreign earnings? That seems highly implausible to me. It might include things like animations used in television commercials, but again it's hard to see how that could boost the total by $16 billion.

Can someone here, Justin perhaps, help explain this enormous discrepancy?
Moroboshi-san

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Can someone here, Justin perhaps, help explain this enormous discrepancy?

AJA report contains also revenue from merchandise, overseas licensing, pachinko machines, etc which came in 2013 to around 1'200 Byen which pretty much exactly covers the difference between the reports (AJA in 2013 ended up to little bit less than 1'500 Byen).
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:25 am Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
AJA report contains also revenue from merchandise, overseas licensing, pachinko machines, etc which came in 2013 to around 1'200 Byen which pretty much exactly covers the difference between the reports (AJA in 2013 ended up to little bit less than 1'500 Byen).

Pretty much what we already know(or should know, some refuse to accept it...). Anime is only a small part if merchandise is taken into account.

Did the AJA report specify how the $16 billion was divided between the categories, merchandise, licensing, etc?
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Cherry picked? Laughing The post of yours that I originally responded to had the following gem:

mangamuscle wrote:
Nope, no one and I mean no one has released an study that proves that software piracy has reduced in any significant amount (not to be attributed to margin of error) any software sector (anime, music, games, etc.) profits.

As it turns out there are 22 studies that conclude content producers have seen reductions in profit. If you think those 22 studies were "cherry picked" clearly you think there are a whole bunch of studies that concluded otherwise but have not been included in this survey. Please feel free to post links to any studies that conclude that piracy has no impact. Should be no problem, right? After all, those 22 studies were "cherry picked" so there must be a TON of studies that show piracy has no impact. Laughing

Yeah, I will repeat it, cherry picked summary, You can cherry pick sentences from papers talking about the existence of climate change to DENY climate change. You talk like you have read said 22 studies but you are merely copy/pasting cherry picked sentences from a propaganda website that you google in a few seconds by your own admission. Why 22 studies when you could use one to say, hey, here is the proof, because not one of those provides definitive proof, that is why.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

Why would I take the time to track down one of those 22, read it completely, quote directly from it when you will simply find some absolutely lame reason to dismiss it? I could do the same with the other 21 and you would do the same for all 22. As I said earlier, there is absolutely nothing that would convince you of your completely erroneous and illogical belief that piracy has no impact on the revenue of content providers. I understand your mindset, totally. It's shared by other entitled fans who want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that using illegal methods to view content has zero impact on the relevant industries. But that's fine, there are more reasonable readers here who get it.
Untilidie3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
so please forgive me if I'm wrong but 1.83 trillion yen is not 18.1 billion USD. How did we do that math? I'm trying to write about this topic and I want to make sure all of my numbers add up correctly. My thought is that there might have been a translation error or I'm wrong in my thought process. If someone could shed some more light on the issue that would be awesome.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Google can do simple currency conversion, though please note that this article is months old and currency exchange rates can shift a good deal over that time.

By today's exchange rate, 1.83 trilion yen is closer to 16.03 billion USD according to Google. The easiest (though by no means precise) way to convert yen to USD is to think of yen as cents and not dollars. So just chop off the last two zeroes. Thus 1.83 trillion yen can be approximated by 18.3 billion USD.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
The dollar has substantially appreciated against the yen since the 2016 election. See the chart here: http://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=USD&to=JPY&view=10Y

A dollar today buys about 114 yen; in early November, that figure was about 104. This trend makes Japanese automakers happy and angers the American president.
Untilidie3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
thank you yuna49 Megiddo for your response!
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Moroboshi-san wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
Maybe rather than just publishing an uninformative press release, someone at ANN who speaks Japanese could delve into the actual report to tell us:

I can answer:
1) This report only covers domestically produced anime (so response is none).
2) About third. Revenue declining by 10% though.
3) Not found from this report.
4) Not found from this report. Overall streaming is about 2% of total (not including overseas income).

The Overseas-category has increased by 80% which apparently is coming from those Chinese streaming rights. Without that increase the overall revenue would have actually declined, which is I think the main observation.

Would be interesting to see whats the share of overseas-category and is its broke down by region. Cool Apparently, the vast increase in Crunchyroll subscribers in the last couple of years from ca. 440,000 in late 2014 to 1 million now didn't even show up in that report. Well, their streaming revenues is only worth about 8 billion yen compared to the 1,800 billion yen of the industry although I wonder if that's revenue or "market value".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4