• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Top Twenty Original Pokémon Episodes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vibrant Wolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
never cared for this series growing up, but after reading this I might just have to watch a few episodes now.
navycherub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Love the vast majority of this list, except Pikachu's Goodbye, which never did much for me even as a kid. Also have to admit, I never realized the "tortoise and the hare" joke behind Pikachu and Squirtle's race team until it was pointed out here - great stuff.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I can accept the reasons for why they wrote Charizard out but how they did it always made me mad as a kid. It always felt like we were being ripped off especially so soon after he and Ash finally became friends and it felt like Ash never got a chance to properly use him. If the issue was him being too strong for the gym battles, and they were writing him to be weaker anyway, they could have had so like Charizard gets hurt again in a fight and he has to go back to Professor Oak to be healed. So that way they can write Charizard out of the show but Ash still keeps him around or something.

The thing is he did come back a couple of times to help him, but the success was rather fifty-fifty. When he returned for Unova for real, he was nothing more than a replacement for Unfeazant, a new flying scout. Unlike Squirtle and Primeape, Charizard is at the lab now.

Vibrant Wolf wrote:
never cared for this series growing up, but after reading this I might just have to watch a few episodes now.

Unfortunately, the old episodes didn't age well and were underwhelmingly animated even for its age. There were a lot of still images back then during the Kanto Saga.

Compare that battle from 1997 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1fuEA9_Qt0

with that battle from 2016 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivyQqgUpvKY&t=203s
peno

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:

The thing is he did come back a couple of times to help him, but the success was rather fifty-fifty. When he returned for Unova for real, he was nothing more than a replacement for Unfeazant, a new flying scout. Unlike Squirtle and Primeape, Charizard is at the lab now.

Actually, I've found Charizard's return in BW lame, very lame. Not only he was simple replacement for Unfeazant, as you mentioned, but also they totally forgot the second reason Charizard stayed in Charicific Valley and that was Charla, whose love to Charizard seemed mutual. Now, however, Charla is totally forgotten and Charizard is staying at Oak's lab without even care for Charla. Lame, totally lame. The only thing about Charizard's return in BW I liked, was his rivalry with Iris' Dragonite. That spiced otherwise bland Decolora saga a little.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4